Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fantastic - Rey (hilariously low costed), Poe, Han, Krennic, Jabba, Adult Vader, FN-2199, Leia, Mothma, Ackbar, Bala, Dooku, Maz, Jango, young vader, Ventress (though health is too low, bordering on good/ok), Palp, Unkar

OK/Good/depends on pairing - Phasma, Veers, FO Trooper, Grievous, Tusken, Kylo, Nightsister, Padawan, Qui-Gon, Padme, Deathtrooper, Tie Pilot, Royal Guard, Guavian Enforcer, Jedi Acolyte, Baze, Snap, Commando, Rebel Trooper

haven't tried but look promising - IG-88, Aurra Sing, Unduli

Bad/Over-costed - Luke, Jyn, Chirrut (:(), Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, Outer Rim Smuggler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
More appropriate categories would probably be Good value, Fine value and Bad value.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

bowmore posted:

Fantastic - Rey (hilariously low costed), Poe, Han, Krennic, Jabba, Adult Vader, FN-2199, Leia, Mothma, Ackbar, Bala, Dooku, Maz, Jango, young vader, Ventress (though health is too low, bordering on good/ok), Palp, Unkar

OK/Good/depends on pairing - Phasma, Veers, FO Trooper, Grievous, Tusken, Kylo, Nightsister, Padawan, Qui-Gon, Padme, Deathtrooper, Tie Pilot, Royal Guard, Guavian Enforcer, Jedi Acolyte, Baze, Snap, Commando, Rebel Trooper

haven't tried but look promising - IG-88, Aurra Sing, Unduli

Bad/Over-costed - Luke, Jyn, Chirrut (:(), Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, Outer Rim Smuggler

Wow I disagree with like half of those placements, sheeit

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

I do too. Except for Jyn.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

Tell me what you think

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The only good character is Yoda

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bowmore posted:

Tell me what you think

I'd move many of your fantastic picks down a tier. My fantastic line up would basically be: Darth Vader (Sith Lord), Rey, Dooku, Bala Tik, Jango, Maz, Death Trooper and FN-2199. Then basically everything else in Good/Pairing Dependent. Then in the Bad/Overcosted tier, Jyn, Outer Rim Smuggler, Chirrut, and maybe Finn.

Basically I think a handful of cards are amazing, most everything is just playable and a few cards are bad or need a lot of enablers to be good.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

bowmore posted:

Tell me what you think

Thinking about it, I guess I really think of characters are either being playable or not playable, with very few being sorta too strong given their cost or color affinities/faction. So maybe the ultimate conclusions probably won't be too dissimilar if you break them down in that manner?

Kinda Imbalanced
Rey (FP), Jango Fett (LM), Maz Kanata (PQ), Bala-Tik (GL)

Playable
everyone not mentioned elsewhere

Not Super Playable
Chirrut Imwe (BW), Obi-Wan Kenobi (MH)

Obviously I think of some characters as being better than others, but a lot of it is so situational that it's almost not worth delineating. How do you decide if Hired Gun is better than Luke Skywalker one-to-one, in a vacuum, I guess, is the issue. Like I happen to like Luke a lot and I think Jyn is good; I happen to like Darth Vader (SL) less so than most seem to; I think TIE Pilot is great and I think Jabba's a touch overrated; stuff like that? But ranking the characters within the same tier felt more and more pointless the more I wrote about it.

Basically I think Rey, Jango, Maz, and Bala-Tik are arguably too good in that they do their jobs for amazingly low costs (eJango is the same cost as basic Vader; like, haha, what, and Rey and Maz seem obviously undercosted given what they do (action cheats and a Fast Hands that has HP that you have to kill and begins the game in play))

I think Chirrut and Obi-Wan are both a combination of overcosted and underpowered which makes it super difficult to conjure up a deck featuring them in it

I think essentially every other character is at least kinda good in the right role, and I've seen almost all of them used effectively so far except maybe Outer Rim Smuggler and Baze Malbus? And they're new, so yeah

Anecdotally I'd say that Destiny just feels very like, I dunno, Smash Bros? Where yeah you can take it seriously and interactions are fun for me and there's depth, here, but also sometimes you just trip over your own feet and a Bob-omb walks into you and you die. Some characters are jank in isolation but are dope with the right partner. Some characters enable specific meta-warping strategies. Some characters are just Good Stuff™ compiled onto a die and an ability?

This feels like a cop-out answer but oh well

EDIT:

ShowTime posted:

I'd move many of your fantastic picks down a tier. My fantastic line up would basically be: Darth Vader (Sith Lord), Rey, Dooku, Bala Tik, Jango, Maz, Death Trooper and FN-2199. Then basically everything else in Good/Pairing Dependent. Then in the Bad/Overcosted tier, Jyn, Outer Rim Smuggler, Chirrut, and maybe Finn.

Basically I think a handful of cards are amazing, most everything is just playable and a few cards are bad or need a lot of enablers to be good.

e;fb? We disagree on some of the ticky-tack stuff (you like Vader SL more than I do, I like Jyn and Finn more than you do) but otherwise seems close

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think I have too many different mental subcategories or different reasonings behind why I like or don't like a given character to break it down into strict tiers like that. I mean, there's characters that are cheap & have fantastic abilities such as Rey, Maz, Jango, FN? Characters that are high impact, high cost (OG Vader, Palp, Luke), characters with deck defining or enabling abilities that aren't necessarily broken (Poe, Phasma? Unkar?). Efficient or fine characters, never exciting but maybe always the best use of remaining points in whatever slot (various non-uniques, Kylo, Ackbar), characters that are simply overcosted for what they do (Chirrut), and characters that I see as potentially good, but don't have a real deck yet (Baze, Mon Mothma, I want Obi-Wan to be in here) The more I think about it, the fuzzier the distinctions get once you start actually pairing up, and already there's at least several characters I'm not sure how to categorize.

Interesting seeing other people's thoughts even if I don't necessarily agree though. I think I'm not nearly as excited about Death Trooper as some of you for example. I was fussing around with an eAurra/DTrooper list late last night, so I might try that out today. I want to try more Unkar lists. Still want to try out ePadme/Maz/RTrooper mill.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Journals of Ben Kenobi: good card or bad card?

its good but idiots on Facebook can't stop crying about how grrrible it is

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Journals of Ben Kenobi: good card or bad card?

its good but idiots on Facebook can't stop crying about how grrrible it is

I think it is good in certain situations. I wouldn't include it in every Force deck.

1. You have a lot of 0 cost events.
2. You are playing Meditate in your deck.
3. You have poor luck and are really keen on discarding to reroll dice.
4. You are trying to setup a specific combo and need to get through your deck (though I'd argue Maz's Castle is much better for this)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Hauki posted:

Interesting seeing other people's thoughts even if I don't necessarily agree though. I think I'm not nearly as excited about Death Trooper as some of you for example. I was fussing around with an eAurra/DTrooper list late last night, so I might try that out today. I want to try more Unkar lists. Still want to try out ePadme/Maz/RTrooper mill.

Deathtrooper is just a really powerful body for what you pay. 10 cost, 10 health, great dice. On top of that, not unique, which is great in red.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I'm curious if the general perception of Luke is that he's bad. He is a major part of my local meta and eLuke/Maz is a soul-destroying monster sometimes, and I don't even think I've played against some of the strongest iterations of that deck yet

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Luke is much better now that SoR has been released and there are significantly more options, especially with Maz. In Awakenings only he just didn't have anyone good to pair with and the Hero Force event selection was weak.

I think it is too early in the meta to decide which decks are best, and as mentioned earlier, characters need to be evaluated as a full team and deck compliment.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Aurra Sing/Bala does insane damage and packs awesome control, too. Still working on my deck but it already punches above it's weight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I look forward to seeing more formats for this game. Like a wild format that allows hero/villain mixing, some kind of drafting, etc. as is, the game is turning into a hyper fast aggro game with the new SoR stuff (Rey is going to be much more of a problem now than Awakenings), and limited formats tend to be much slower paced and allow more of the card pool to be used.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Benthalus posted:

Luke is much better now that SoR has been released and there are significantly more options, especially with Maz. In Awakenings only he just didn't have anyone good to pair with and the Hero Force event selection was weak.

I think it is too early in the meta to decide which decks are best, and as mentioned earlier, characters need to be evaluated as a full team and deck compliment.

Yeah, luke/maz and luke/rey are seemingly some of the top dogs in my local meta right now as well, although I haven't seen their full lists. Both were exceedingly fast, cheated a bunch of actions and put out a ton of damage on those 3 damage sides. The unblockable off vibroknife doesn't hurt either. Either way I'm not just writing it off as being a 'bad' character.

Bottom Liner posted:

I look forward to seeing more formats for this game. Like a wild format that allows hero/villain mixing, some kind of drafting, etc. as is, the game is turning into a hyper fast aggro game with the new SoR stuff (Rey is going to be much more of a problem now than Awakenings), and limited formats tend to be much slower paced and allow more of the card pool to be used.

Ditto. I'd really like to figure out a workable draft format for destiny. A cube would certainly be a lot easier to work out, since you have more control over character & upgrade pools. I think you'd have to split the draft into two parts, one to draft characters, one to draft the deck proper. Maybe some of the more arcane magic draft formats from early on could be used as a baseline.

I remember one where there was a bidding round to determine initial draft pick, where you essentially had to give up later picks in order to move up start position. I could see something like that refined to work with the character portion of the draft. I'm not sure how all that would work with elite versions though. If someone's picked the card, do you let them play 1 or 2 die versions, or do they have to draft two to play it elite? The latter would force more varied compositions, but you'd probably have to have more character picks to actually run a reasonable spread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The two barriers to having a sensible draft format for this game are obviously supply and characters. It would be impossible to do any traditional style draft because even with an entire box you might not be able to build a tournament legal deck. I was thinking something along the lines of bring 1 character of each color and up to two dice each as a base line then draft from there. We're playing with a full proxxy playset of Awakenings and SoR, but we only have 3 people, so it's hard to test any ideas like this.

As a general strategy question, do you find yourself mulliganing for upgrades in almost every game regardless of the deck you're piloting? It seems like the most critical early game play, with some select support cards up there as well.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

As a general strategy question, do you find yourself mulliganing for upgrades in almost every game regardless of the deck you're piloting? It seems like the most critical early game play, with some select support cards up there as well.

Depends on the deck. In my eLuke/Maz I'm mulling for Fast Hands and Force Speed for sure; in eJyn/Commando I'm mulling for control cards and Infamous early, though Jetpacks or Overkills are always welcome

Honestly part of the reason I was so dismissive about the "Luke is not only not top tier, he is bad" narrative is that I genuinely think that with Maz, Force Speed, Fast Hands, and Lone Operative - not to mention Guard, MAITF, Trust Your Instincts, etc. - Luke is probably one of the best characters in the game right now to build around, and he was already good. His ability is so sorely underrated and his dice are genuinely insane, and I don't know how you could call Darth Vader SL top tier and Luke bottom tier when Luke is cheaper than Vader, has an arguably better ability, and amazing die faces plus more attractive partner choices than Vader currently does

Like I think Vader SL is great, but I dont get how Luke is overcosted. He's expensive because if he was any cheaper he would own the game forever until they banned him or succumbed to power creep

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Depends a little on the deck, but yes. As an aside, I was watching a lot of people at my lgs hold on to the bulk of their initial hand and while one dude had a fantastic loving hand, most of them seemed like they could've done a lot better had they mulled more aggressively.

In other news I've been playing this aurra/dtrooper list, and it's... surprisingly good? I kinda want to jam in some IQA11s but I don't have any. The redeploy is really nice for when Aurra gets focused down, but I generally seem to have some extra cash floating and that seems like it might be a marginal upgrade over the F11D? Also another disrupt side for the inspections. Tactical Mastery would probably be good too, but again. Training on a Death Trooper is great, Aurra's ability is actually pretty nice, especially if you get a good trigger off fast hands. I've never actually played the Slave 1 or the Personal Shield over like four games so far, so I can't speak to how effective they are. I'm also kinda curious if Infamous would be much use in there to speed things along further.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Has anyone found any stores purchasing SW Destiny stuff yet? I have a ton of bulk and trading/Ebay isn't working out too well. Games been out for almost two weeks and still the only place buying is MiniatureMarket, which is offering horrible prices backed by a bad company. CoolStuffInc used to be my go to, but the only card they are purchasing is Force Speed. I have a feeling most stores are just waiting to see how things settle, as I know CoolStuffInc was offering amazing prices for Awakenings stuff right after release and may have gotten burned. Awakenings was an entirely different release, but I imagine they are still playing it safe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone found any stores purchasing SW Destiny stuff yet? I have a ton of bulk and trading/Ebay isn't working out too well. Games been out for almost two weeks and still the only place buying is MiniatureMarket, which is offering horrible prices backed by a bad company. CoolStuffInc used to be my go to, but the only card they are purchasing is Force Speed. I have a feeling most stores are just waiting to see how things settle, as I know CoolStuffInc was offering amazing prices for Awakenings stuff right after release and may have gotten burned. Awakenings was an entirely different release, but I imagine they are still playing it safe.

TCGPlayer.com is adding Destiny and Final Fantasy to their system soon, so you'll probably see shops that use increase their buys

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ShowTime posted:

I know you posted about some possible trades last week, and I was out of town. I'll shoot you a message and see if there's still anything we can work out. My buddy filled out most of our SoR playset while I was gone, but we have a lot of extra Awakenings rares still.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm running Anakin/Kylo for a small event tonight and realized I only have 29 cards sleeved up. I'm looking at some lists online and seeing a Force Push take that slot but I'm not digging adding range damage to the deck when it otherwise doesn't use it. Is that not as big a deal as I'm thinking?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Ville Valo posted:

I'm running Anakin/Kylo for a small event tonight and realized I only have 29 cards sleeved up. I'm looking at some lists online and seeing a Force Push take that slot but I'm not digging adding range damage to the deck when it otherwise doesn't use it. Is that not as big a deal as I'm thinking?

Should be fine, none of the Ranged Damage is modified so you can use it regardless of your other dice, it will be a bit slower than melee. It's double discard can be handy if you are running Dark Presence.

Got any other options?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

HidaO-Win posted:

Should be fine, none of the Ranged Damage is modified so you can use it regardless of your other dice, it will be a bit slower than melee. It's double discard can be handy if you are running Dark Presence.

Got any other options?

Almost everything; I have a playset of Awakenings and cracked 3 boxes of SoR. Maybe Kylo's Lightsaber? Force Speed? Here's what I've got on me:

Upgrade (11)

x1 Force Choke
x2 Force Throw
x2 Lightsaber
x2 Makashi Training
x2 Sith Holocron
x2 Vibroknife

Support (3)

x2 It Binds All Things
x1 Meditate

Event (15)

x1 Anger
x2 Deflect
x2 Enrage
x2 Feel Your Anger
x2 Isolation
x2 Manipulate
x2 No Mercy
x2 Overconfidence

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 15, 2017

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Ville Valo posted:

Almost everything; I have a playset of Awakenings and cracked 3 boxes of SoR. Maybe Kylo's Lightsaber? Force Speed? Here's what I've got on me:

Upgrade (11)

x1 Force Choke
x2 Force Throw
x2 Lightsaber
x2 Makashi Training
x2 Sith Holocron
x2 Vibroknife

Support (3)

x2 It Binds All Things
x1 Meditate

Event (15)

x1 Anger
x2 Deflect
x2 Enrage
x2 Feel Your Anger
x2 Isolation
x2 Manipulate
x2 No Mercy
x2 Overconfidence

I'd consider Dark Presence with the amount of discard you are running, maybe cut the lightsabres and meditate and put in 2x Dark Presence, 1x Kylo Rens Lightsabre and give either Force Push or Force Speed a go?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

HidaO-Win posted:

I'd consider Dark Presence with the amount of discard you are running, maybe cut the lightsabres and meditate and put in 2x Dark Presence, 1x Kylo Rens Lightsabre and give either Force Push or Force Speed a go?

There's just the one Choke and the Vibroknives, plus Anakin's discard side. Is that really enough for Dark Presence? I was mostly going for an aggro build.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Kylos discard sides as well right? I get the build is aggro but the Dark Presences are basically free to trigger and cutting down on someone's dice is always handy.

Edit Ah no Kylo doesn't, I'm thinking of someone else. Yeah I'd say cut a lightsaber for a Kylos lightsaber, force push or force speed.

HidaO-Win fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2017

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Nope, dmg/dmg/shield/resource/special/blank.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Dark Presence is specifically for Jabba/Blue whatever decks imo.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Alright, since I'm at 29 cards I'll go -1 Lightsaber, +1 Kylo's Lightsaber +1 Force Push. I don't think Speed is super necessary in this deck (but I've got 2 if I decide after tonight that it'd be a good fit).

I've got cards for Maz/Poe on order, too. :dance:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

fast hands force speed eLuke/Maz is fun and good y'all

not cancerous at all

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone tried increasing the character point limit and deck size to 40? I wonder what that would look like.

Also, this is my first time really getting into a CCG and I've seen a lot of people trading online in facebook groups, etc. Is there a particular protocol people follow or do you just hope that your trade partner is trustworthy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Lump Shaker posted:

Has anyone tried increasing the character point limit and deck size to 40? I wonder what that would look like.

Also, this is my first time really getting into a CCG and I've seen a lot of people trading online in facebook groups, etc. Is there a particular protocol people follow or do you just hope that your trade partner is trustworthy?

Use PayPal, get tracking numbers. I haven't had issues but all my deals have been for money, not a trade in product.
It works well for facilitating local trades too

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

guts and bolts posted:

fast hands force speed eLuke/Maz is fun and good y'all

not cancerous at all

I'm looking forward to playing actual people with mine, and rather sad I haven't found a second Force Speed yet.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

canyoneer posted:

Use PayPal, get tracking numbers. I haven't had issues but all my deals have been for money, not a trade in product.
It works well for facilitating local trades too

Good luck getting to use PayPal for anything but friends-and-family transfers though. Somehow the online card trading/selling community has convinced everyone that buyer protections are unreasonable and will not accept the fees as a seller.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ville Valo posted:

Good luck getting to use PayPal for anything but friends-and-family transfers though. Somehow the online card trading/selling community has convinced everyone that buyer protections are unreasonable and will not accept the fees as a seller.

OTOH, buyers also want "market price" at ebay less the %ebay and paypal fees and think it's unreasonable to split the difference at least.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Truth. People are idiots.

The fees are easy to calculate (30 cents plus 2.9%), so if they insist on getting the fees covered for them (in violation of Paypal's TOS) and I really want to make the deal go through, I just add it to the transaction and then never deal with that seller again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lump Shaker posted:

My FLGS did that for its league gimmick last month but at the time I only had the starters so I couldn't really participate in it and can't tell you anything worthwhile about said format. Whoops.