Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."
I was actually going to separately post about it but this game might have the best legit story explanation for (ending spoiler) having a silent protagonist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah the silent protagonist thing is pretty dumb but I guess it makes sense when you realize that you're playing as a creature that might not even be sapient.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I haven't remotely finished the game so I can't mouse over the spoilers and fully join the discussion, but it made sense to me pretty early that the mute protagonist thing had a decent in universe explanation. Ater all they have zero problems voicing your character in logs, Looking Glass vids etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Yeah the silent protagonist thing is pretty dumb but I guess it makes sense when you realize that you're playing as a creature that might not even be sapient.

Yeah presumably if you shake Alex's hand you finish morphing into the "real" Morgan and your first spoken words ever are requesting a pair of pants or a bathrobe.

You know, once you have an actual voice box to talk with.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 15, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In Psychotronics is it possible to get inside the containment room with the weaver?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kurzon posted:

rear end. It's not obvious what the recycler charges will and won't affect.

They will recycle ANYTHING that can be moved. If it it can be moved in any way, it can be recycled.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RatHat posted:

In Psychotronics is it possible to get inside the containment room with the weaver?

Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

How?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

During the very end of the game, that's where you place the prototype nullwave device that kills all the Typhon. AFAIK you can't get in before then.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

overdesigned posted:

During the very end of the game, that's where you place the prototype nullwave device that kills all the Typhon. AFAIK you can't get in before then.

You can actually get in a bit earlier, after you reboot the reactor. But there's nothing there even then, the Weaver already high tailed out of there.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

This game is great; already finished a Human only playthrough and I'm halfway through a Typhon only playthrough. Human only felt like I was a brute forcing shotgun machine that could only be stopped by a key card door, while my Typhon only playthrough forces me to approach with more finesse (but rewards me by making the encounters easier overall, despite playing on Hard vs Normal for my first playthrough). I do wish inventory was one size larger by default; it was the first thing I maxed on my Human playthrough, and I'm constantly using recycler grenades for the convenience of not running back to the recycler on my Typhon playthrough.

Has anyone attempted a modless playthrough yet? I'm considering trying one on Nightmare after I finished my current playthrough to see how far I can get. My plan will probably be to grab the Q-Beam as soon as possible for a primary weapon, despite the inventory size. It did wonders for the beginning of my Typhon only playthrough until I got most of my psi powers online. I might also try setting up Gloo forts for turrets in high traffic areas to extend their life span until the big Typhon monsters show up.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

My plan will probably be to grab the Q-Beam as soon as possible for a primary weapon, despite the inventory size.

Theres a QBeam weapon in space, on some service tunnels (these that you have to open a panel to enter). I can't give exact position, because in space I am all the time completely confused and lost. But could be around life support area.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Kurzon posted:

I deleted it. I figured that even if she forgave me, she would like me less. If she didn't, she might try to stab me in the back at some point.

Then you get to the end, and the Mikhaila operator is like "you saved me, but then you lied to me to save your own rear end... I guess that's plausibly lovely human behaviour? :shrug:"

And seconding the recommendation to listen to Ilyushin and Igwe's conversations in your office, it paints the guy in an entirely different light.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Retroblique posted:

Apparently weapons and/or ammo disappearing between load screens is a known bug.

I guess I'll wait for the patch then.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ambaire posted:

That's a thing? I heard that 'ending' was actually a trap and Dahl would try to kill you anyway.

The fact that this is a possible ending is absolutely amazing.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DancingShade posted:

It was a pretty great (by which I mean dark and extremely awkward) moment when you listen to the recording of yourself overseeing the very experiment that killed your ex love interest's father
(assuming I haven't got the various characters mixed up)

I hit the delete recording button without a second thought and walked out of deep storage whistling innocently.

Initially I listened to the recording and decided that Mika deserved to know the truth, that the Morgan who oversaw that was a different Morgan... she did not take it well.

I did get an achievement for it:
Self-Incriminating - You found out what happened to Mikhaila's father and let her know.

Which makes me wonder:
1. Is there a *different* one for sharing it with her *without* listening first
2. What ending remarks does she make, post-credits?
I actually finished the game on a save where I deleted the recording after listening to it, and Mika-Operator says "It also found my father's records. But then... deleted them. I don't know what that means. It's selfish? Afraid? At least that's a human sentiment, no?"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quinton posted:

Initially I listened to the recording and decided that Mika deserved to know the truth, that the Morgan who oversaw that was a different Morgan... she did not take it well.

I did get an achievement for it:
Self-Incriminating - You found out what happened to Mikhaila's father and let her know.

Which makes me wonder:
1. Is there a *different* one for sharing it with her *without* listening first
I actually finished the game on a save where I deleted the recording after listening to it, and Mika-Operator says "It also found my father's records. But then... deleted them. I don't know what that means. It's selfish? Afraid? At least that's a human sentiment, no?"

If you're on the search for achievements linked to that quest you should know that sending her the tape is one of the required actions for the "I and Thou" achievement given for playing the game in the most empathic way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Quinton posted:

Which makes me wonder:

I gave her the recording, and post-credits her operator will make a comment about how she wasn't expecting you to let her listen to it. She says something about how it shows more humanity since you're willing to let her know what really happened to her father even though it reflects poorly on you.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Retroblique posted:

Apparently weapons and/or ammo disappearing between load screens is a known bug.

Figured out a workaround: It was always item that occupied 3rd block in the inventory so I removed what was there and bypassed the bug.

E: Got my first Nightmare 20 minutes ago and already got another one. This one shoots its orange balls through walls too, unfair :(
Huh, somehow my pistol with one damage upgrade is way more effective at taking it out than fully upgraded shotgun.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pistol is crazy effective against the Nightmare. Also I found the sounds made by Nightmares hilarious. Something between a bark and a chirp - a big bad monster aren't you? *BARG* *BARG* *BAAAARG*

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Palpek posted:

Pistol is crazy effective against the Nightmare. Also I found the sounds made by Nightmares hilarious. Something between a bark and a chirp - a big bad monster aren't you? *BARG* *BARG* *BAAAARG*

Golden pistol with just one range upgrade (not damage one as I thought before) just melting Nightmare away got me curious and I tried it on phantom, same thing. It just has way more dps than fully upgraded shotgun plus more range so you don't have to risk getting damaged much. Why even bother with shotgun? Do any enemies have specific resistance to either shotgun or pistol?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shotgun will still be more effective at short range and also pistol's ammo melts way faster than you think because it's more about shooting a lot of bullets in a short time period than actual firepower.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the Q-beam have infinite range?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Palpek posted:

Shotgun will still be more effective at short range and also pistol's ammo melts way faster than you think because it's more about shooting a lot of bullets in a short time period than actual firepower.

I frequently used a fully upgraded shotgun, Stealth mods and combat sense on them. Drops them damned quick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The thing that people who that shotgun sucks usually miss is the fact that it's a melee weapon.
You should be using the Shotgun from the same range you'd use the wrench.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RatHat posted:

Does the Q-beam have infinite range?

No. It's quite long, long enough that it generally won't be a problem anywhere indoors, but when you're looking down the long hallways in the GUTS or EVAing around the Talos Exterior you'll find yourself out of range sometimes. The targeting reticle will turn red if you're in range.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tei posted:

Theres a QBeam weapon in space, on some service tunnels (these that you have to open a panel to enter). I can't give exact position, because in space I am all the time completely confused and lost. But could be around life support area.

You can get one during your first EVA. The body that has it should actually be close enough to you to be marked as you exit the airlock. It's tucked away in some conduit access thing. The big problem is that some times there's a Technopath sitting right in front of the drat thing which makes getting it real drat complicated that early on. I don't remember if you can get EMP grenades by then.

Tei posted:

The real nightmare in this game is the credits music.

I have it stuck on my head. Is not even that catchy. Is just.. I dunno, some music Kraftwerk would have in his car in 1986 to play while speeding at 220 Km/h in the autobahn.

Pls send help.

The female vocal version of Semi-Sacred Geometry isn't on the official OST :smith:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bolow posted:

I don't remember if you can get EMP grenades by then.

You definitely can.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bolow posted:

You can get one during your first EVA. The body that has it should actually be close enough to you to be marked as you exit the airlock. It's tucked away in some conduit access thing. The big problem is that some times there's a Technopath sitting right in front of the drat thing which makes getting it real drat complicated that early on. I don't remember if you can get EMP grenades by then.

Should have a stun gun with at least 1100+ ammo by then. It'll take about 200 energy since you won't have many upgrades but it will reliably stunlock it to death. I can't recommend the stun gun enough.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So I found Volunteer 37 in an escape pod on the Bridge level, but rather than kill him I knocked him out with the Disruptor. He still taunts me over the radio, even though his body is still asleep in that pod.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Can I fabricate weapon upgrade kits sometime?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes, the plans are rarer than everything else though

Hint: explore hardware lab thorougly

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lakbay posted:

Yes, the plans are rarer than everything else though

Hint: explore hardware lab thorougly

Thank you

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The shotgun is extremely good what are people on about

It kills a Nightmare in 6-8 shells

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The damage on it is pretty inconsistent, it seems like it has a mind of its own and if it's in a bad mood you'll do like 20% of the max damage from the exact same distance sometimes. Other than that it's real good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kurzon posted:

So I found Volunteer 37 in an escape pod on the Bridge level, but rather than kill him I knocked him out with the Disruptor. He still taunts me over the radio, even though his body is still asleep in that pod.

I'm wondering how his quest will go on my replay. I went along with his directions until he opened the door to the freezer, then zapped him with the stun gun before he could lock me in. Not sure if he'll just stay there passed out in the kitchen for the remainder of the game or what.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The damage on it is pretty inconsistent, it seems like it has a mind of its own and if it's in a bad mood you'll do like 20% of the max damage from the exact same distance sometimes. Other than that it's real good.
I've had it kill phantoms in one hit in combat focus.

And by "one hit" I mean I pulled the trigger once.

The health bar of the phantom very clearly goes down about halfway, then a few moments later the rest of it gets taken off.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zereth posted:

I've had it kill phantoms in one hit in combat focus.

And by "one hit" I mean I pulled the trigger once.

The health bar of the phantom very clearly goes down about halfway, then a few moments later the rest of it gets taken off.

the shotgun has a physics component to it where it'll send the target flying if you whomp em hard enough, which i think can result in damage after the initial impact

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Palpek posted:

If you're on the search for achievements linked to that quest you should know that sending her the tape is one of the required actions for the "I and Thou" achievement given for playing the game in the most empathic way.

Are you sure about this? I don't remember this quest but I got the achievement. And what are the other flags, do you know? I'm surprised I got it on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

3Romeo posted:

Are you sure about this? I don't remember this quest but I got the achievement. And what are the other flags, do you know? I'm surprised I got it on my first run.

It's definitely not a requirement. As far as I can tell, the only flags are:

-DO NOT KILL ANY HUMANS, mind controlled ones don't seem to count
-Free the volunteer trapped in the psi labs
-Save your girlfriend and Dr. Igwe as well as Elezar
-Protect the survivors in the cargo bay using the turrets, doesn't really matter if any die besides Elezar maybe?
-Save Alex from dying in the Arboretum
-Activate the nullwave, maybe? Not sure about this one but blowing up the station doesn't seem very empathetic...

edit: Oh, apparently here's everything that counts, directly from the game guide. "Psychopath status" is earned by killing a bunch of human NPCs. You need to be at least 4 points in the green by the end of the game.