Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

PuntCuncher posted:

Blackbird and I have been getting acquainted this week.

I love the cockpit and seating position. Plenty of room to move, comfortable for miles and the wind protection is awesome. Instruments are great, easy to read and there's a clock. Don't think I've ever had a clock on a scoot before.

The brakes feel pretty ordinary to me, need to get the local Honda guru to turn a spanner on them and give the whole thing a once-over.

Motor has 107,000klm on it and feels really solid. Pulls effortlessly up to license shredding territory.

Best thing about it is how much time it's taken off my commute. I've managed to half my travel time each day, even more on a "good traffic" day.

Brakes could need to be bled, which isn't too much of an adventure as long as everything in the linked braking system is working as intended. Figure on a minimum of a pint of fluid, and probably buy a quart just to be sure. Not sure what year you're dealing with there, but the more major concern may be that it's just 15+ year old brake lines which are getting soft. It's a lot more noticeable in a Blackbird (or VFR with LBS) since it's something absurd like 12 feet of brake lines. Stainless replacement lines are somewhere around $300 (Jaws/Goodridge in the UK - I think) if you want to go that route.

You might want to make sure the timing chain tensioner is the revised "green dot" model since there were some issues with earlier ones and it's a 15 minute fix. Other than that, the CBRXX website has a lot good info for general maintenance and small upgrades. The bikes are basically bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Well it includes my moto...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ilkhan posted:

Gotta love that green, rocks.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ilkhan posted:

I'm packing up the 500 for Monday at Eastern Creek :D Picking up the delivery van tomorrow morn. Crossing my fingers for no rain...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

(I'm the dude on the right)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

XYLOPAGUS posted:

(I'm the dude on the right)

You and your husband are adorable!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This is how I roll, apparently. Baby's first dirt ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl23d7LLluk&t=84s

XYLOPAGUS, those are pretty bikes. I like the blue. What's the one on the left?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

SV1000 I think

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
They are (pretty much) identical SV650s. Same exhaust too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! How are the wave rotors on the N? What brand are they?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

This is how I roll, apparently. Baby's first dirt ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl23d7LLluk&t=84s

XYLOPAGUS, those are pretty bikes. I like the blue. What's the one on the left?

That doesn't even count as a crash on dirt. :colbert:

What happened? Camber of the road + hit a rock?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

builds character posted:

That doesn't even count as a crash on dirt. :colbert:

What happened? Camber of the road + hit a rock?

Sliding my face on the road wasn't fun. But we think it was the slight depression on the road being filled with loose gravel that did it. I don't really know.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mungtor posted:

Good tips, also The bikes are basically bulletproof.

Cheers dude, those are my next few actions methinks.

Giving thought to delinking the brakes too after seeing some kits and experiences. If I'm going to replace lines (which feels like a good idea) I think I'd like to minimise some complexity in the system also.

I've seen people using weight saving as justification for it, but that feels like a poor excuse on a giant sports tourer for fat guys.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

They opened up the mountain roads a few weeks ago...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Virgil Vox posted:

They opened up the mountain roads a few weeks ago...

Purty. Where is that? I'm feeling the need to get up into the Sierra Nevada again.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The White Mountains in eastern AZ. This place is super moto friendly, loads of dual sport trails and good paved twisties just minutes from my place but not a lot else going on.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

It gets the Akrapovic titanium header and some more carbon bits when it goes in for it's next service. I loving love this bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Colors? Check
Pipe? Check
Biek? Check

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

It gets the Akrapovic titanium header and some more carbon bits when it goes in for it's next service. I loving love this bike.

What's the seating position on the Hyper - do you sit up on the tank like a regular motard or is it farther back but up high like an adv bike?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's a surprisingly good looking birdnose.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That is one good looking bike. Looks like a blast.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's a surprisingly good looking birdnose.

When I rode one at the demo day, I was shocked at how compact the bike felt. The front just seemed to abruptly disappear from your peripheral, whereas on the DRZ I'm used to there being like "poo poo" in front of you in your vision

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

What's the seating position on the Hyper - do you sit up on the tank like a regular motard or is it farther back but up high like an adv bike?

Somewhere in between I'd say. Imagine how you ride a sumo on the freeway... butt back a bit from the tank but still rather low-slung. You sit directly upright and it is really comfortable doing long-ish rides so far. In the twisties you can sit up on the tank like a motard but it doesn't have the same effect. You can hustle it through corners counter-leaning it like you would a normal sumo but it takes a lot more effort because of how heavy it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tjones posted:

That is one good looking bike. Looks like a blast.

I mean. Give it some credit, it looks nicer than the blast.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean. Give it some credit, it looks nicer than the blast.

Ahah. Buell had no right to name that bike what they did.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Somewhere in between I'd say. Imagine how you ride a sumo on the freeway... butt back a bit from the tank but still rather low-slung. You sit directly upright and it is really comfortable doing long-ish rides so far. In the twisties you can sit up on the tank like a motard but it doesn't have the same effect. You can hustle it through corners counter-leaning it like you would a normal sumo but it takes a lot more effort because of how heavy it is.

When I test rode one I found it more uncomfortable on the highway than a 690smc, as the seat is pretty dished and locks you into place.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:aaaaa: That hyper is such a rad looking bike, especially with that color scheme. I bet the L-twin sounds fantastic, too. If I wanted a street only sumo, that seems like a great choice. I guess it's too pretty to be taken off road or curb hopping?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

:aaaaa: That hyper is such a rad looking bike, especially with that color scheme. I bet the L-twin sounds fantastic, too. If I wanted a street only sumo, that seems like a great choice. I guess it's too pretty to be taken off road or curb hopping?

It's also way too heavy to be anything resembling an actual sumo and trying to get it to behave like one takes huge balls/stupidity. All the fauxtards are like this, they're better thought of as a sportsbike for IRL roads.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

When I test rode one I found it more uncomfortable on the highway than a 690smc, as the seat is pretty dished and locks you into place.

Coming from the DRZ400SM and the WR250X I've had in the past, this bike is far more comfortable. I'm pretty tall (6'2"), ergonomically this bike is great for someone over 6' tall.

Slavvy posted:

It's also way too heavy to be anything resembling an actual sumo and trying to get it to behave like one takes huge balls/stupidity. All the fauxtards are like this, they're better thought of as a sportsbike for IRL roads.

Yea I wouldn't take it off road or down stairs, but that's me. I do hop the occasional curb on it but I don't go straight over them at speed like I did on my WR. I miss my WR a lot, it would be great to have one as a second bike.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Coming from the DRZ400SM and the WR250X I've had in the past, this bike is far more comfortable. I'm pretty tall (6'2"), ergonomically this bike is great for someone over 6' tall.

Yea I wouldn't take it off road or down stairs, but that's me. I do hop the occasional curb on it but I don't go straight over them at speed like I did on my WR. I miss my WR a lot, it would be great to have one as a second bike.

Having rode a DRZ400SM in the last month and now riding a SV650 I've been imagining at times just how amazing having a L-twin stuffed SM would be...have fun try not to die!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

King of the Beach posted:

Having rode a DRZ400SM in the last month and now riding a SV650 I've been imagining at times just how amazing having a L-twin stuffed SM would be...have fun try not to die!

Aprilia made one, it was apparently astoundingly good for the 30 seconds it ran before the engine exploded.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aprilia made one, it was apparently astoundingly good for the 30 seconds it ran before the engine exploded.

Three very short clips of a guy running an RXV 5.5 - they should be cued up to start when he comes by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaA60mmqTCo&t=94s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTU37OEyhyA&t=6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rut-iZHtPs&t=492s

His engine did not explode and he's good so he won. His bike is just absurd.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone here should buy one, then sell me the FTE caliper when you part it out as revenge for all the time and money the bike has taken from you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My workplace finally gave us a bit of dedicated bike parking. I'll take it.

(Some dick with a Can-Am parked in it yesterday. :argh:)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Fifty Three posted:

I guess there's nowhere to hang a handicapped placard on one of those

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

Any dipshit riding one of those monstrosities is always automatically Kenny Powers, in my eyes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that yellow F4 :love:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

that yellow F4 :love:
Hell yeah! I wasn't specifically looking for a yellow one when I was shopping, but I'm so glad I ended up with it. Perfectly matches a Pens jersey worn over a bike jacket, too. :getin:

kuffs posted:

I guess there's nowhere to hang a handicapped placard on one of those
:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Perks of riding- Today I was encouraged to park in the bicycle section on the sidewalk when the parking in the area was a nightmare. Even got a shady spot!