Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Is there a second seat available?

To be continued?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

I think it just got the ridicule because of the loving weirdos so enchanted by graphics they painted themselves blue and cry over how Pandora wasn't real, the real life version of Lorax's Onceler shipping, the utterly bizarre thing that exploded and disappear in less than a year.

At the time stuff like the Pandora Fever seemed out of nowhere, but I feel like social media and the meme machine has developed between then and now. We get a new Oncler phenomenon, like, once a month.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

This is I think the only reason people can only recall Jake Su-lee's name.

It's funny. Lotta classic action movies get by the sheer charisma of the actor that you never learn the character's name. Without looking it up, see if you could remember Arnold's character's name from Predator. You can't. No one knows it. Yet, people remember Jakesu-lee's name because of that, despite the actor being the living embodiment of white noise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's funny. Lotta classic action movies get by the sheer charisma of the actor that you never learn the character's name. Without looking it up, see if you could remember Arnold's character's name from Predator. You can't. No one knows it. Yet, people remember Jakesu-lee's name because of that, despite the actor being the living embodiment of white noise.

Dutch Schaeffer.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe Predator wasn't the best choice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mycot posted:

At the time stuff like the Pandora Fever seemed out of nowhere, but I feel like social media and the meme machine has developed between then and now. We get a new Oncler phenomenon, like, once a month.

2009 was an age ago. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and youtube were still fairly new, Instagram was still 3 years away, the most popular memes were Xzibit and Ceiling Cat, the rage comics and advice animals memes had only just been invented, Bronies didn't exist yet and Furries were still frowned on by almost everyone.

If Pandora Fever had struck with the internet we have today I think it would have had a much wider and longer lasting pop culture footprint

Phylodox posted:

Dutch Schaeffer.

Predator has also had a HUGE influence on pop culture, and that's not even counting the 5 other movies which followed it

Also "I see you, Jake Sully" is pretty much the only quote I remember from Avatar and the only reason I can remember the character's name

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 15, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Dutch Schaeffer.

The only way you could have known that is if you are Mac from Sunny. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like the neat little helicopter things in Avatar.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

2009 was an age ago. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and youtube were still fairly new, Instagram was still 3 years away, the most popular memes were Xzibit and Ceiling Cat, the rage comics and advice animals memes had only just been invented, Bronies didn't exist yet and Furries were still frowned on by almost everyone.

If Pandora Fever had struck with the internet we have today I think it would have had a much wider and longer lasting pop culture footprint

I'm not quite convinced. I don't think the film Avatar was would have benefited from how the internet has changed. Facebook, Reddit and all might have been new, but they existed, and other places to discuss films existed before then. It's not that the film isn't still being discussed the way other properties are because the internet failed it--the fact that other properties are being discussed is proof enough of that.

It's not like fan artists didn't exist before Tumblr, or that fan communities didn't exist before Reddit.

I think it's ultimately that the film was just doesn't really have a lot to discuss, and that wouldn't change just because the internet has.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I just realized I haven't re-watched Avatar since the day I went to see it on the teather. I just...never felt the need to. It was pretty but not in the way that makes me want to see it over and over again.

Edit:

Also "I see you, Jake Sully" is pretty much the only quote I remember from Avatar and the only reason I can remember the character's name

That's also the only thing that I remember, and the weird-rear end horse thing. And Sigourney Weaver doing something?

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 15, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

mycot posted:

I don't know, both the Avatar and the Onceler fandom things were characterized by the sheer amount of nothing there was to even make basic fan art out of it. Every conversation was about something theoretical rather than any story content. It's how you got so many alternate universe shipping and whatever.

At least the Bronies and Undertale fandoms had actual characters and a developed world to balance things out with that side of fandom.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

I like the neat little helicopter things in Avatar.

All the human equipment in Avatar was incredibly rad, I'll certainly give it that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Onceler is still hilarious. Like what even happened.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There was a Onceler fandom?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

There was a Onceler fandom?

They wanted the onceler to gently caress himself.

Literally.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Despite what I said, I dunno if I'd agree with that. Like it probably would have made the high even higher and more insane, but it would have been out the door just as fast. To be replaced with the next hot new thing like...sexy Wendy's girl fanart? IDEK.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The trick is that there is a huge Pandora fandom - in-universe.

I remember getting one of those tie-in books talking about how lovely Earth is and isn't Pandora great!!! And the obviously-biased narrator talking about how great the pandorans are. They designed them to try and create a 'furry fandom' and failed.

It turns out furries aren't anarcho-primitivists, as you can tell by all the clothes they wear when they're not loving. They might want to be a talking dog, but they still want mobile phones and hamburgers.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just sorry it didn't win Best Picture. Would've been hilarious that the movie about blue tiger people fighting mechs in space with the plot from Dancing With Wolves won the highest honours at the awards. Be an excellent quiz question too.

"What movie won the 2009 academy awards?"
"Oh gently caress, I know this one, I just can't remember it..."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There is no lack of escapist fantasy worlds were you can find love and be accepted but also be a cat.

You don't have to settle for the one without toilets.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Barudak posted:

They wanted the onceler to gently caress himself.

Literally.

In the back of my head, this remains one of the funniest things. Like if I feel myself getting ready to cry, I'll think of this or 4 Non Blondes He-Man.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

There is no lack of escapist fantasy worlds were you can find love and be accepted but also be a cat.

And isn't that all any of us want in this cruel crazy thing we call life? :sigh:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

toilets would seem to defeat the whole point

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

toilets would seem to defeat the whole point

Couldn't it have, like, some kind of natural Toilet Tree that looks kinda like a pitcher plant? I mean, plants eat poo poo anyway.

Maybe blue cat people don't even poo poo.

These are important questions the Avatar Expanded Universe must answer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

If I'm going to be a cat I'm going to have an entire litter room where I can drop a steaming deuce, kick gravel everywhere, and then run laps while screaming "aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Avatar didn't have a huge protracted fandom because James Cameron had enough control and integrity to not conspicuously have the movie as a launchpad for a sequel factory and license the everloving poo poo out of it and keep an Extended Universe going after the movie had come and gone, it seems silly to hold that against it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, I mean, he's planning four sequels, so it really was just a delayed launch on that first point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

Avatar didn't have a huge protracted fandom because James Cameron had enough control and integrity to not conspicuously have the movie as a launchpad for a sequel factory and license the everloving poo poo out of it and keep an Extended Universe going after the movie had come and gone, it seems silly to hold that against it.

There are four planned Avatar sequels.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Were the people who wanted to be na'vi actually real or was that an internet myth? The only thing i actually remember is this video - which I wanted to be real but isn't. Well, that video and the comic where the dude links with his hamburger for all the flavors.

Also - "Unobtainium." Good macguffin name or best macguffin name?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Unobtanium is funny. People who complained about that seem to not know that scientists name materials stupid poo poo all the goddamn time

E: not to mention the binomials they make up for newly discovered species

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Boxman posted:

Were the people who wanted to be na'vi actually real or was that an internet myth? The only thing i actually remember is this video - which I wanted to be real but isn't. Well, that video and the comic where the dude links with his hamburger for all the flavors.

Also - "Unobtainium." Good macguffin name or best macguffin name?

there are people who want to be Klingons and they're just deformed space assholes, do you really have to ask

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear but Im never watching the film to check they mention it has a real, sciency name but its easier to call it unobtanium to the jarheads.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I coulda sworn the mining company called it unobtainium to make the whole 'fly across the galaxy to kill blue cat people' plan more appealing to their shareholders or something

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

I'm not sure if I was more surprised that they're making an entire movie with Blender of all things, or that it doesn't seem to involve Aardman at all. It really looked like them to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

This looks wonderfully playful.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember hearing unobtainium was a real term used IRL, but I never bothered to confirm. That true or the words of a man floundering for legitimacy?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's been a joke term before Avatar.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

I remember hearing unobtainium was a real term used IRL, but I never bothered to confirm. That true or the words of a man floundering for legitimacy?

I believe it was a coined aerospace term back in the fifties. Later was used for titanium and also for types of composites like carbon/carbon with a ceramic sheathing for lightweight high speed plane travel.

Like, an engineer will say "we've got this great idea for a machine but the only thing missing is this technology that hasn't been discovered yet," and then years later they discover something that's different but still meets the specs and Bob's your uncle and we're off bombing poo poo or whatever.

I'm positive it's been used elsewhere, in any industry, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thank ya both! That's something that's going to stick in my head as "FACT", so it's nice that it's actually true. It seems I'm always finding out something's not true and then forgetting I found out. :downs:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only way I can sleep at night is to tell myself that the scene where a giant mech pulls a giant bowie knife was written entirely for comedy, and nobody seriously wrote that thinking it would be good and cool.

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Build-a-Boar posted:

The only way I can sleep at night is to tell myself that the scene where a giant mech pulls a giant bowie knife was written entirely for comedy, and nobody seriously wrote that thinking it would be good and cool.

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

it's similar to the stupidity in Pacific Rim where the mech waits until he's virtually on death's door before pulling out a mega sword which just so happens to be better than missiles and bullets etc