Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Leraika posted:

In the oh so distant future
We're nine thousand years too soon
An android chick named 2B
Was a warrior from the moon
Now 2B fought for YorHA
With a sword of massive girth
And after she'd just repaired herself
They put her in an airplane and shot her back to Earth

"We'll make her fight some machines,
The cutest ones we can find (la la la)
And to get their combat data,
We'll monitor her mind (la la la)"
Now keep in mind, while they trust 2B
To never give up the ship (la la la)
She's got some special robot friends
To keep her from yanking her OS chiiiiip

Robot roll call!
2B!
9S!
Commander!
Pooooooooooooooood!

Now if you're wondering how that visor works
or why mackerels make her blue
Just say to yourself "it could be worse
Could be playing Drakengard 2"

But instead we're playing Niiiiiiiiieeeeeeeer Automaaaaaataaaaaa

I didn't know I needed this until I had it. Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

iospace posted:

So, I'm finishing up the Nier LP.

Should I move on to the Drakengard 2 or 3 LP next?

The second screen though was :stonk:

Read the 2 LP because it came out after NieRs and before 3's, basically.
It's a poo poo game but a good LP.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Drakengard 2's LP was a joy to read, though even then you can feel just how bad the game was for TDI to play. That said, the Caim and Angelus parts of the game are definitely the best parts of that shitshow, which makes me think someone on the dev team had a soft spot for the first game.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Random Hajile posted:

Drakengard 2 can be skipped unless you you really want to see the misadventure of the dumbest protagonist in gaming. Yoko Taro didn't make that one and it shows.

I dunno. Nine Gear Crow made a valid point of Leonard being a worse hero in White Knight Cronicles.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

JcDent posted:

Missed the chance to make "2Butt" joke

They probably thought about it but thought it was pretty half-assed.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The Drakengard 2 LP is one that has to be read by reading the entire SA topic where it was posted. The crowd's reaction to the game is what makes it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KamikazePotato posted:

The Drakengard 2 LP is one that has to be read by reading the entire SA topic where it was posted. The crowd's reaction to the game is what makes it.

That's the other thing I was wondering. When I do the third LP, do I do the thread or the archive?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fabulousvillain posted:

They probably thought about it but thought it was pretty half-assed.

:bang::butt:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

Caim's appearances are really good.

Shame about literally every other part of the game.

"sup, anime von protagonist. a mute god of murder has just happened. also that nice lady who's been telling you to do things has just gone catatonic with terror. this is probably not good news for you."

Caim Status: Loving this poo poo!
Manah's Pants Status: Thoroughly shat!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

iospace posted:

That's the other thing I was wondering. When I do the third LP, do I do the thread or the archive?

I seem to remember enjoying the thread for that one. I generally only pass on the thread read-through when it's a particularly old LP, from back when goons weren't quite as good about dumping spoilers all over the place as they are now.

Besides, if you just read the archive, you don't get to play the "How many times has Id had to lock the thread" drinking game!

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

HR12345 posted:

I dunno. Nine Gear Crow made a valid point of Leonard being a worse hero in White Knight Cronicles.
White Knight Chronicles has been completely erased from my memory, but I remember Drakengard 2 because of TDI.

Please do not try to make me remember WKC, thank you.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Random Hajile posted:

White Knight Chronicles has been completely erased from my memory, but I remember Drakengard 2 because of TDI.

Please do not try to make me remember WKC, thank you.

I'm still trying to read that LP. It's very hard to read, and this isn't even shade thrown at nine-year crow. The game is that frustrating.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

iospace posted:

At a minimum I usually filter the OP's posts for the LP in the archived thread, since LParchive only picks up on posts that are in the ToC of the OP by default and sometimes there's miniupdates that get missed. The first couple of posts after updates, especially a Drakengard!/Nier! update, are usually pretty good too :allears:

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
The only thing I remember about WKC is spending approximately 30 minutes fiddling around in the character creator only to realize that my character was just some mute weirdo who hung around in the background of cutscenes and stared off into the distance, waiting for more things to beat to death.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember picking up the second one in CEX for £4 and it was a review copy someone had pawned off.

That's the most interesting thing about my time with the game.

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009

Doseku posted:

Texture data does not actually add any polygons or tris. Instead what it does is use the shader engine to give the illusion of more depth or geographic detail. Think of it as a way to make something look way more detailed than it really is without adding way more geometry to the model.

Should we count the high-res model that may have been used to bake the normal map?
There was a joke that artists spend more time modeling the butt than any other part of the character, and if that holds true then 2B has probably millions upon millions of tris there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Morbi posted:

The only thing I remember about WKC is spending approximately 30 minutes fiddling around in the character creator only to realize that my character was just some mute weirdo who hung around in the background of cutscenes and stared off into the distance, waiting for more things to beat to death.
Seems like the most sensible reaction to being stuck in White Knight Chronicles tbh

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Morbi posted:

Didn't it also do the Dissidia thing of having a sequel that carried the entirety of the first game inside of it?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't it also do the Dissidia thing of having a sequel that carried the entirety of the first game inside of it?

I wouldn't know because I got about four hours into the first one and then just sort of wandered away from my PS3.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Morbi posted:

I wouldn't know because I got about four hours into the first one and then just sort of wandered away from my PS3.

Not enough swole waifus?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morbi posted:

That loving game had a monster hunter-like online component that was a complete mess. They just kind of like, rolled the dice and gave the English version of the game a random assortment of quests. To get the proper reward for a lot of them you had to pray to some voodoo god and do the most arbitrary and inexplicable things like run down an invisible path and take a specific magical dandelion to some rear end corner of the stage three times before a boss would show up, and if one guy in your party deviated from this even slightly then it wouldn't work. And to fully level up your dude to do all this you had to beat the story mode on NG+ like three times or something, the weird thing being while your character was strong enough to one shot everything, all the awful knight segments didn't increase with character stats at all. So they were always just slow, clunky and lovely boss fights.

Then they just released some DLC that let people buy massive upgrades to the little Dark Cloud styled town system which was kind of lame because the stats of your town dictated what kind of items you could buy, and upgrades you could get.

KaosMachina posted:

I think so, but I don't think anyone actually played the sequel because the first game was garbage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, we can't forward the glory of mankind if we don't truly experience all the facets of mankind. Those machine boys in leather pants probably don't even know what drugs are.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm really, really hoping Adam and Steve aren't the true antagonists, because I've had it up to here with prettyboys with gray hair and leather clothing from Squaresoft. I love Taro Yoko's work, and Nier is one of my favorite games of all time, but holy god almighty can we please stop cloning Sephiroth.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

um excuse me did Sephiroth ever have short hair and sweet tribal tats? Check. And. Mate.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Just from the way they dress, I kinda want 2B to give Adam and Eve a swirlie.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
It depends on if we get FF7 sephiroth, who is dead and an insane ghost for the entirety of the non-flashback portions of the game, (Dante from Devil may Cry 2)

Or if we get Sephiroth at any other point before that in canon, where he is basically a cocky double-super soldier who actually wants to help people, while flipping around skyscrapers (Dante from Devil May Cry 1,3 and 4)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sephiroth's first appearance wasnt his naked rear end in the camera.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You just know Yoko Taro would have had Adam be anatomically correct if he thought he could get away with it in Japan. Machine life form or not.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Speedball posted:

You just know Yoko Taro would have had Adam be anatomically correct if he thought he could get away with it in Japan. Machine life form or not.

Or give him a vagina just for the WTF factor.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or give him a vagina just for the WTF factor.

Well he did give birth to Eve.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

And as we all know, anything with a chest vagina is a classic. Proof: Videodrome.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Rangpur posted:

um excuse me did Sephiroth ever have short hair and sweet tribal tats? Check. And. Mate.

One of the Baby Sephiroths in Advent Children did have short hair

No tats though.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sephiroth's first appearance wasnt his naked rear end in the camera.

Only because it's a frontal view. Remember that this is the first time we see him outside of flashbacks.

And here's Adam, after he stands up

There are some similarities, is what I'm saying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Points for Adam: He doesnt have goddamn bird hair.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

Points for Adam: He doesnt have goddamn bird hair.

Also he has legs and an abdomen. Generally that's preferable to the alternative.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Adam also has more of a personality than treeboy there

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So what you people are getting at is that I should read the WKC LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

JcDent posted:

So what you people are getting at is that I should read the WKC LP.

Yes. You should read the thread if you have archives access, as the commentary goes a long way towards improving the LP experience.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ultrafilter posted:

Yes. You should read the thread if you have archives access, as the commentary goes a long way towards improving the LP experience.

LP Archive will be fine. I can save :10bux: and some time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

From his recently severed ribs, to boot!

... okay maybe not really, it's hard to tell if Eve comes from his chest area or not, but given the names it'd be silly if not.

• Locked thread