Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie will probably do well enough Jack Sparrow is another Disney money-making machine and the previous movie grossed over a billion worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

The movie will probably do well enough Jack Sparrow is another Disney money-making machine and the previous movie grossed over a billion worldwide.

Like major hits Lone Ranger, and the last Pirates movie I can't bother to remember the name of.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Lobok posted:

I don't remember most of them establishing anything. They were very high shots of the city's tops and its advertising, like Bladerunner. So more like transitions. But they weren't literally reused. But after seeing one, you've seen them all.

The last one had a shiba inu being a newscaster. He thought he was people, it was pretty good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Like major hits Lone Ranger, and the last Pirates movie I can't bother to remember the name of.

Lone Ranger was not a Pirates movie. People don't watch them for Johnny Depp, but for Captain Jack. And the people making those movies certainly does not matter to the audience since highest grossing and second highest grossing Pirates movies were directed by different people.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Pirates of the hey here are some vampire mermaids, hope you spend the rest of the film with your SO's hand in your pants cuz this is pointless why are you even here.

I totally missed Lone Ranger and plan to continue not watching it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw the third Pirates of the Carribean the night I graduated high school. I should have known it would be an omen to a disappointing future.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Lone Ranger, while not very good, is still better than 3 of the 4 pirates movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Byzantine posted:

For clarity, the bad part is the de-mything.

It felt to me that it started out as "de-mythed" but then it got more outlandish and over the top as things went on and then before you know it you have The Rock flipping a goddamn horse. Was good movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Predator is, uh, not what I expected

https://twitter.com/wanton_soup/status/863488531531939840

https://twitter.com/wanton_soup/status/863488729276596224

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Come on wacky Predator Buddy Cop movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sassy predators on tanks better be in the movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Saw that pop up somewhere else and immediately assumed those were some well-equipped cosplayers.

If it's real: what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yep. You can see Key Michael Kay in the kwaiiator pic.

It owns. I'm so down for riding in tanks with Predators

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Skwirl posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $241,071,802 23.1%
+ Foreign: $804,642,000 76.9%
= Worldwide: $1,045,713,802

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm having a hard time thinking of a time, but are there any instances where it was known for sure that an early leak of movie seriously hurt box office numbers?

I'm not talking about "this movie was going to do bad anyway, but the studios tried to pin the blame on the pirates" stuff which I'm fairly sure happened.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

zandert33 posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a time, but are there any instances where it was known for sure that an early leak of movie seriously hurt box office numbers?

I'm not talking about "this movie was going to do bad anyway, but the studios tried to pin the blame on the pirates" stuff which I'm fairly sure happened.

Didn't the leaked unfinished copy of X-Men: Origins: Wolverine hurt its run by 1) a LOT of people watched and said "eh, pretty much seen it" and 2) allowing the public to see what a dumpster fire in progress it was?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sure most people who saw the leaked cut saw it in theatres because they figured the special effects would be fixed in the final cut.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm sure most people who saw the leaked cut saw it in theatres because they figured the special effects would be fixed in the final cut.

The parts in OitNB where they have temporary effects for skype just add to the charm.

But yeah, I will and I hope you will pay for the legit release when it comes out. The audio was a mess.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I certainly hope most people thought the special effects would improve from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5ffysgVvA

The movie made about 180mil domestically, maybe it would have made a little more but I can't imagine much.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Barudak posted:

Imagine a WW2 Enemy at the Gates style film taking place in the bombed out remnants of Dresden...with a predator.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ccubed posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $241,071,802 23.1%
+ Foreign: $804,642,000 76.9%
= Worldwide: $1,045,713,802

Goons are super in-touch with public tastes, that's why Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was a massive flop and Scott Pilgrim was one of the most successful films of all time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*quietly gets hype for The Predator: Ridin' Dirty*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Predator CInematic Universe: A Predator recruits a bunch of badasses from across the universe who survived hunts, to go hunt down something even bigger.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

*quietly gets hype for The Predator: Ridin' Dirty*

Depending on what you mean, I can get on board for this.

The Predator movie where they were playing Survivor The Television Programme but also "hey we have criminal histories let's see who kills who" was a hoot. Like Scream but the garage door is controlled by a guy with PTSD.

Even the old AvP movie wasn't too bad given what it had to work with. Bishop/Weyland/Lance Henriksen was helped make it approachable. Not great but the end where they play the aliens against the predators was inevitable? And a :female: as a critical element here? Nice touch I guess. Not super great but there are worse ways to do franchises.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

syscall girl posted:

Depending on what you mean, I can get on board for this.

Basically this, but with Predators.

And tanks/APCs instead of cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXPxpMRGEU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Basically this, but with Predators.

And tanks/APCs instead of cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXPxpMRGEU

Oh yeah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

sassy predators on tanks better be in the movie

According to what people have seen/heard about the plot the Predators team up with the humans to fight the uber-Predators that we saw in the last movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to what people have seen/heard about the plot the Predators team up with the humans to fight the uber-Predators that we saw in the last movie.

So basically an adaptation of the old AVP Arcade minus the Aliens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhx1m_lgwZo&t=611s

Sign me the gently caress on

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I seriously want a high octane Predators vs Aliens movie based on the arcade game...but with extras.

The Rock, Jason Statham, the Raid dudes, Keanu, Optimus Prime, Robocop, and a female Terminator with a permanent scowl who is a Judge vs Xenomorphs. From Earth to the Stars then Hell. Xenomorphs infesting demons.

Jason Statham Fast and Furiousing an armored Optimus Prime through Xenomorph infested Hell while the Raid dudes are kung fuing any Xeno that tries to get in, Keanu, Robocop, Terminator and Predator being turrents shooting Xenos on the way climaxing in the Rock exploding from the carrier to Rock Bottom an Alien Demon Queen.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 16, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fans are losing their mind as per usual. At this point who cares. It's Shane Black making a Predator movie!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I haven't seen it in a long time, but IIRC Predators has a little mini-bit toward the end where the nu-Arnold teams up with the smaller predator to take down the alpha dude. Maybe that was limited to him releasing the smaller guy from captivity, I forget.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

I seriously want a high octane Predators vs Aliens movie based on the arcade game...but with extras.

The Rock, Jason Statham, the Raid dudes, Keanu, Optimus Prime, Robocop, and a female Terminator with a permanent scowl who is a Judge vs Xenomorphs. From Earth to the Stars then Hell. Xenomorphs infesting demons.

Same.

I'm sure people have said this before but AvP and AvP Requiem were always going to suck rear end just from being set in the present day. It always should have been set around the time of/a little ahead of Aliens on another planet or colony or whatever.

In the earliest AvP novels/comics I liked the dynamic of the Predators respecting the xenomorph as the best game legal game animal, but humans were the real real ultimate prey but almost never allowed to be hunted. IIRC they had a sort of Prime Directive-esque threshold of "once this species is able to build a ship and actually go and live on another planet they're in the big leagues." And they were a super reclusive race who thought of all species as inferior to them and potential prey, but wouldn't as actively try to hunt species who got that advanced. That left the potential open to have them more open to not necessarily killing almost any human they see on site.

I forget, do the Predators actually eat people/aliens/etc.? I know one of the stories whenever the POV is one of the Predators humans/aliens/whatever are all spoken of in terms of what grade of meat they are so I just assumed, but I don't think they ever really did anything with that.

But then even in stuff like the AvP 2010 game which is in the future, the Predator's technology is insanely beyond, like their ships are huge and can obliterate one of those colonial marines ships like the Sulaco in two seconds.

I'm not saying they should be brought down and made close enough to humans to be like Klingons or something but Predators rolled with the "mystery" of what's going with the Predators when that mystery was already "solved" in the first two movies where we learn that they've periodically come to earth to hunt people a because we're just big game to them.

Honestly if that spoilered plot is true that would be awesome. Just for the sake of having more Predators with different designs and outfits and stuff. And as CelticPredator said, I mean it's Shane Black making a Predator movie. :D

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shane Black AND Fred Dekker.

Ive read some of the leaked stuff. It sounds super silly, but in a way that works. For Predators, camp is very welcomed and good. It's just really lame with the Aliens.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Same.

I'm sure people have said this before but AvP and AvP Requiem were always going to suck rear end just from being set in the present day. It always should have been set around the time of/a little ahead of Aliens on another planet or colony or whatever.

In the earliest AvP novels/comics I liked the dynamic of the Predators respecting the xenomorph as the best game legal game animal, but humans were the real real ultimate prey but almost never allowed to be hunted. IIRC they had a sort of Prime Directive-esque threshold of "once this species is able to build a ship and actually go and live on another planet they're in the big leagues." And they were a super reclusive race who thought of all species as inferior to them and potential prey, but wouldn't as actively try to hunt species who got that advanced. That left the potential open to have them more open to not necessarily killing almost any human they see on site.

I forget, do the Predators actually eat people/aliens/etc.? I know one of the stories whenever the POV is one of the Predators humans/aliens/whatever are all spoken of in terms of what grade of meat they are so I just assumed, but I don't think they ever really did anything with that.

But then even in stuff like the AvP 2010 game which is in the future, the Predator's technology is insanely beyond, like their ships are huge and can obliterate one of those colonial marines ships like the Sulaco in two seconds.

I'm not saying they should be brought down and made close enough to humans to be like Klingons or something but Predators rolled with the "mystery" of what's going with the Predators when that mystery was already "solved" in the first two movies where we learn that they've periodically come to earth to hunt people a because we're just big game to them.

Honestly if that spoilered plot is true that would be awesome. Just for the sake of having more Predators with different designs and outfits and stuff. And as CelticPredator said, I mean it's Shane Black making a Predator movie. :D

I skimmed through your post and what I came up with was we actually need John Leguizamo to get hunted by Predators.

Or he could just have an AvP arcade machine fall on him and I would chuckle sensibly.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I guess this was a video game? Now it is an inferior Them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumQ6XaL6kA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

syscall girl posted:

Or he could just have an AvP arcade machine fall on him and I would chuckle sensibly.

They recreate the scene in Predator 2 where the head Predator approaches Danny Glover respectfully, but instead of handing Leguizamo an old revolver he pushes a button and an AvP arcade machines falls on him. Then one of the Predators uses a voice recording of Shao Khan saying "Friendship. FRIENDSHIP!" as they dance the way the Predators do in that Predator 2 outtake. Roll credits.

After the credits finish, a two minute long slow zoom in on the Predator ship goes to Leguizamo's arcade cabinet covered body........AND HIS EYES OPEN!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Same.

Yautia.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

syscall girl posted:

I skimmed through your post and what I came up with was we actually need John Leguizamo to get hunted by Predators.

Predators vs The Pest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nain-desintje-d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm apparently the only person who doesn't like AvP R

• Locked thread