Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Georgi La Forgie

He's the alien, right?

The_Doctor posted:

I'm honestly surprised it's taken Seth Macfarlane this long to make something like that. I don't hate it? Also, Julian's dad!

Edit: oh god it's a series! I assumed it was just a movie!

Looks like it's Galaxy Quest: The Series. And it has high production values, Macfarlane loves this kind of stuff, and the humor doesn't seem to be too sophomoric. Hell, it might be a high brow US Red Dwarf. I can dig it.

I'm surprised that the set design passed legal muster though--the uniform and bridge look more like the 1701-D than some fan productions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Astroman posted:

He's the alien, right?

Looks like it's Galaxy Quest: The Series. And it has high production values, Macfarlane loves this kind of stuff, and the humor doesn't seem to be too sophomoric. Hell, it might be a high brow US Red Dwarf. I can dig it.

I'm surprised that the set design passed legal muster though--the uniform and bridge look more like the 1701-D than some fan productions!

And Norm MacDonald is the voice of that Jello dude.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Scott Grimes as the helmsman makes me hope for some sweet soul singing. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was onboard until I saw Mcfarlane was starring, so that's a hard pass.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tighclops posted:

quote:

The Motion Picture is terrible. All episodes of Voyager are more watchable. I'm not kidding.
[...] Voyager is criminally boring in the blandest, most inoffensively mid to late 90's ways possible for the vast majority of it's run.

Yes. We are correct.

Sure, I'm in.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 16, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

All these people talking about Bashir's dad and not even mentioning Kasidy flippin' Yates

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Adrianne Palicki is a good get.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That actually doesn't look not decent, so hey!

Although I must say it reminds me a little of Hyperdrive, which is both a bad and good thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Didn't Yahoo attempt a similar show with the AT&T woman and Joel Hodgson?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Other Space, it was actually pretty good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

how come insurrection was the (second) most expensive tng movie? was it just cast rates driving the budget up? it doesn't look like they really splurged in the production values

good movie 6/10

also here's a book from the screenwriter (and guy who ran the non-bad tng writing room) about writing the movie:

https://nightly.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5159

Orv
May 4, 2011

I laughed at one joke out of the entire thing, which is more than his stuff usually gets out of me. :shrug:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Just watched Datalore. Spiner's performance was great and his name being "Lore" was clever, but it had some of the sloppiest writing so far. Full of plot holes. And not nitpicky ones either, but ones that affect make it harder to understand the plot on the most basic level. For example, a major point is that Lore can use contractions and Data can't, but Data uses them several times throughout the episode :doh:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Duckbag posted:

Well, part of the problem is he has a mental illness in a society that allegedly cured that sort of thing a hundred years ago. Dude obviously has some sort of anxiety disorder, but everyone just treats him like the weird kid at school. His "holo addiction" is an unhealthy coping mechanism (Troi even says so), but no one seems particularly troubled by the fact that whatever issues he's been coping with have been dogging him at least as long as he was on the Enterprise and they're just now noticing. He never gets any real help. They all just feel bad for picking on him and try to include him more.

Troi's "therapy" session is loving absurd even if you don't know how that sort of thing is supposed to go and mind boggling if you do. She spends the whole time acting like an HR director pretending to to be an employee's friend so she can figure out if she has to fire him and, despite being an empath (and, you know, female), has no idea why the lonely, male social anxiety patient seems uncomfortable when she sits next to him in a cleavage leotard.

This baffling indifference to basic psychology happens all the time on the Enterprise. Children are orphaned and left to stay, alone, in their parent's room (I think this happens twice, actually). Worf tries to kill himself twice because he can't cope with "insanity"/disability and both times no one picks up on it until the knife's in his hand. Picard endures horrific trauma (and has blatant PTSD) and only takes a week off work. Every loving anomaly episode, someone sees some crazy poo poo in the corridor and doesn't report it because they think they're just seeing things. Why the gently caress don't they report that they're seeing things? Are stress induced hallucinations normal? Is mental illness so stigmatized in the future that everyone would rather go untreated than risk being thought of as "crazy?" Real loving progressive, Star Trek.

It's just loving outrageous to me that a show that has a psychiatrist (well, "counselor") as a main character, literally never had a character suffering from a real mental illness that was identified as such. Everything Troi treats people for is situational -- grief, loneliness, workplace stress, that sort of thing -- but chronic mental illness basically doesn't exist in TNG (and wasn't exactly handled well in DS9). Sure there was space madness and alien diseases, but, apparently, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, schizophrenia, and a whole raft of other ailments simply don't exist anymore (even though various characters seem to have them).

I've been poking though the old parts of the thread and can I say you are totally right. I think psychology, like economics was one of those real world things that was often too messy for trek to deal with.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was onboard until I saw Mcfarlane was starring, so that's a hard pass.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Dude's a true nerd and I have no doubt he loves Trek and could supervise/produce a great parody of Trek. But on screen he's obnoxious and not funny.

Prove me wrong, show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been poking though the old parts of the thread and can I say you are totally right. I think psychology, like economics was one of those real world things that was often too messy for trek to deal with.

The other issue is that Troi was the product of 80s pop-psychology.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I will watch this and probably enjoy it way too much. It already looks better than Discovery...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Angel One now. I've heard it's one of the worst, but not as bad as Code of Honor, and it's definitely meeting those expectations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm well that thing looks better than Voyager and I've watched that more than once, so... Yeah.

Here's hoping it's decent.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God the episode's about literal MRAs

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Geordi in red feels like one of those universes Worf leapt into in Parallels. I know he had it for a season, but it's just wrong.

On the other hand, Data actually pulled red off nicely:

(Couldn't find a good enough quality shot from Chain of Command, so fake alternate future will have to do.)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How does this episode have so many great out of context screenshots

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

He's basically one of those early Dominion grumps Quark was trying to cheat on their Tulaberry wine.

That's Voyager dude

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jeb! Repetition posted:

For example, a major point is that Lore can use contractions and Data can't, but Data uses them several times throughout the episode :doh:

Are you sure those aren't scenes where Lore was pretending to be Data ?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That's Voyager dude

Quoting this super wrong post.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Eh, Data uses contractions all the time though.

"I mean, being a robot's great, but we don't have emotions, and sometimes that makes me very sad."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mllaneza posted:

That's what I thought it must have been at first. Like a twist ending where Lore really won. But no, I looked it up and other people noticed the same thing. They hosed up really bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Quoting this super wrong post.

Whoosh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's what I thought it must have been at first. Like a twist ending where Lore really won. But no, I looked it up and other people noticed the same thing. They hosed up really bad.
Here's my no-prize explanation: Data is capable of comprehending the use of contractions and can use them in pre-prepared statements that he composes, and then recites. However, when spontaneously generating speech in response to novel queries, he cannot do so.

Now you might just ask "So why doesn't he use his super computer brain to pre-write and then recite everything he says in real time" and I'll say "You should really just relax."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

Here's my no-prize explanation: Data is capable of comprehending the use of contractions and can use them in pre-prepared statements that he composes, and then recites. However, when spontaneously generating speech in response to novel queries, he cannot do so.

Now you might just ask "So why doesn't he use his super computer brain to pre-write and then recite everything he says in real time" and I'll say "You should really just relax."

There's no saving it dude.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wouldn't care or even probably notice if they just said "data can't use contractions" at some point but he did anyway. It's that they elevated it to the way to tell between him and his brother and made you pay extra hard attention to it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wouldn't care or even probably notice if they just said "data can't use contractions" at some point but he did anyway. It's that they elevated it to the way to tell between him and his brother and made you pay extra hard attention to it.
I wonder if this is why there was that Keiko coffee factoid in DS9.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Patrick Stewart did such a perfect hoarse weak voice at the end of the episode. He's a treasure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Not being able to use contractions is the stupidest loving thing

Linguistically they're not any harder to use than any other part of English. Unless he has the language literally hardcoded into him at a very basic level there's no reason he shouldn't be able to pick up contractions as easily as he picks up any other aspect of the language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I believe he was programmed that way so he wouldn't appear as human. People hated Lore because he was so lifelike or whatever. Data was programmed to be as robotic as possible so people would be more accepting of him.