Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zore posted:

No it really isn't. The friend is a plot device who spurs change in Makoto and has her evolve as a person.

You know, like bit characters in all fiction ever.

What? What change occurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Half the party's confidants have big importance on their relationship with a friend. Makoto's is just not super interesting although there are some good scenes in it that I like a bunch.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah it was about her and the important lesson that you can and should judge a book by its cover.

You are allowed to judge books by their covers if you are smart and beautiful and great like Makoto, who I coincidentally judged to be all those things upon first meeting her so checkmate atheists

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You are allowed to judge books by their covers if you are smart and beautiful and great like Makoto, who I coincidentally judged to be all those things upon first meeting her so checkmate atheists

This is also the exception she uses for Joker

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zore posted:

No it really isn't. The friend is a plot device who spurs change in Makoto and has her evolve as a person.

You know, like bit characters in all fiction ever.

Okay, I just meant that there was way more of a focus on her friend than there was in other confidants (although I actually never got super far in any of the other party member ones so it might be different there). Don't need to be so rude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? What change occurs?

Learning to connect with other people.

Like Makoto's entire thing is an almost crippling social isolation from people her age because she spent so much time trying to be perfect for his sister/people in authority. It even carries over to the thieves where she doesn't really interact with most of them as equals, but as an older sister/mentor figure. Her forming an actual, no-bullshit friendship with someone in her grade is pretty important and helps reinforce the whole 'make your own path' part of her character and motivation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm glad that each person gets an actual awakening this time around, since Chie kind of just tripped over her persona as they were going to Yukkiko's plot.

All the Awakening's in this game are so much better than in p3 and 4. They're fantastic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Grouchio posted:

This game just feels SO much better subbed than dubbed.

I agree but they straight-up skipped TL on cutscenes and other key moments.

Also, I think Naoto's Midwinter outfit and Akechi's sweater vest are the same.

She does have one of the coolest hats in the atlus games. Fight me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's kind of redundant to say people's stories focus around other people seeing that basically everyone in the story is some sort of social outcast that uses the SLs to come to terms with their ostracization. So by nature they are going to be focusing on adapting with other people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Learning to connect with other people.

Like Makoto's entire thing is an almost crippling social isolation from people her age because she spent so much time trying to be perfect for his sister/people in authority. It even carries over to the thieves where she doesn't really interact with most of them as equals, but as an older sister/mentor figure. Her forming an actual, no-bullshit friendship with someone in her grade is pretty important and helps reinforce the whole 'make your own path' part of her character and motivation.

That taps out at like link 4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

subs are for scrubs

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Makoto's first text to you having a follow up text of "Please respond when you get this" is such a trait to a specific kind of person that it made me laugh really hard, it was really good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlestheHammer posted:

Learning how to maintain a relationship even when bad or dumb things happen is an important part of having a friend though.

Her arc isn't about making a friend, its about what friendship is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's really bad at that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

SHE HAVE FRIEND, ARC OVER is some pretty basic-rear end misunderstanding of character, dude

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's really bad at that

you seem really bad at understanding fiction so... good job I guess?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alder posted:

It reminds me of the Boy's Cap in Ragnarok Online which I refused to take off no matter how many broken +10000 stat items whatever private server I used to play on added, Fashion Souls is the only way to play

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Makoto's first text to you having a follow up text of "Please respond when you get this" is such a trait to a specific kind of person that it made me laugh really hard, it was really good

The best text joke is everyone cutting off Yusuke since he writes so slowly

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheLoser posted:

Your party members are gonna bug you about it 24/7, though. Probably the biggest incentive in the whole game to do requests.

Morgana: Hey, are you going to tell the others about what Mishima said?

Joker: No. One of my goals in life is to never talk about or think about Mishima ever again. You know how that's going? Poorly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Moltrey posted:

[looks over both shoulders and gets real close to the mic] im worried makoto will become the chie of P5 where she's insanely popular now but who gives a poo poo in like six years cause there's the realization she may be a bit weak a character

Makoto's helped a bit by having a really big role in the main story. Her social link is fairly weak though. I liked it more than some people did but it's not one of the better party social links.

Chie doesn't really get the development or main story spotlight that Makoto does so I think her popularity will hold up a bit better.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 16, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
getting your joke cut off cause you couldn't type it fast enough is a universal experience.

I love when Goro joins the group chat cause Futaba just doms him the entire time and Goro's very sincere about it.

"Man, you don't know anything, you're useless"
"Well, I think that's a bit harsh"
"Aww, you're making me blush"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It reminds me of the Boy's Cap in Ragnarok Online which I refused to take off no matter how many broken +10000 stat items whatever private server I used to play on added, Fashion Souls is the only way to play

This is the only way to play MMOs, Idc about stats I care about how awesome I look at lvl 60 wearing glamoured lvl 1 clothes wielding a light saber.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alder posted:

I agree but they straight-up skipped TL on cutscenes and other key moments.

Also, I think Naoto's Midwinter outfit and Akechi's sweater vest are the same.

Different colors. No red for Akechi. His is blue and gray diamonds on black/dark blue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arist posted:

SHE HAVE FRIEND, ARC OVER is some pretty basic-rear end misunderstanding of character, dude

I didn't say the arc was over but that part was, it then transitions into a part that is completely contradictory to the message of the rest of the game.

It's okay understanding fiction is sometimes quite hard.

Also calling it an arc is rather generous, it's more a really long check mark.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

piss

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
How long until they announce Persona 5-2: Now we're the adults but adults still suck? I want to run mementos to pay rent each month and plan my wedding with Makoto as Sae looms over our whole relationship.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

How long until they announce Persona 5-2: Now we're the adults but adults still suck? I want to run mementos to pay rent each month and plan my wedding with Makoto as Sae looms over our whole relationship.

We've all come to accept we're going to end up as lovely adults since P1 days. The marriage convo is the best if you go with "It's a secret" to everyone.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You need max Charm just to hit rank 6 with Makoto? Seriously?

Yo Prez... I like your fashion sense, and your cool motorcycle Persona which is also a medieval pope... but I got poo poo to do. Also looking forward to finding out which party member is a secret axe murderer since apparently I can transform this mythical beast into a tomahawk if I execute it in the electric chair. Video games are weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Yo Prez... I like your fashion sense, and your cool motorcycle Persona which is also a medieval pope... but I got poo poo to do. Also looking forward to finding out which party member is a secret axe murderer since apparently I can transform this mythical beast into a tomahawk if I execute it in the electric chair. Video games are weird.

You think that's bad? Wait till you need max prof to even start Haru

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sarchasm posted:

At the end of Haru's S Link when she says "Hey it's funny that guy thought we were a couple, huh?" and you can say either "We should gently caress" or "We should just be friends" I secretly wanted a third option that said "I really don't even like you as a human being but I'm going to keep hanging out with you because One Shot Kill is really breaking the game for me right now."

Such rudeness.

Makoto's S.Link should have been about her channeling her previously-repressed anger in rebellion against the world. Instead we learn she wants to not only be a cop but the top cop. She's cool but with hindsight and the whole story I probably would have dated someone else

Rangpur posted:

For example, I would probably have dated the axe murderer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair that is so far into the game you might have it or be close.

Makotos is really weird.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Proficiency is less of an issue because once you don't have to go out of your way nearly as often to build it up, especially once you have access to Temperance and Fortune. Besides doesn't the confidant who requires it show up in... October, I think?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

The stat gates hit you much earlier in P5 and it's a boring way to prevent players from a max SL run right off the bat. You can still date Makoto if you spam Charm activities but it's cutting it close to the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I grinded Charm activities early just for Makoto, and I think that inefficiency prevented me from completing all Confidants. Another negative.

I know there are people that are like, "I didn't follow a guide or anything and I still had four weeks to play video games" but it didn't work out like that for me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

P5 really wants you to spend your time with everyone evenly and not focus all your time on just a few confidants before moving to others. Luckily that's what I was doing but even then you meet some block's ridiculously early and it sucks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rangpur posted:

Proficiency is less of an issue because once you don't have to go out of your way nearly as often to build it up, especially once you have access to Temperance and Fortune. Besides doesn't the confidant who requires it show up in... October, I think?

For max, yeah, but Yusuke requires Rank 4 Proficiency around the midpoint of his Confidant and he doesn't turn up all that late

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I had like 2 Proficiency when the 5 Proficiency gate showed up in the late game, and still managed to max out that character. It goes up pretty fast if you try to focus on it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

SyntheticPolygon posted:

P5 really wants you to spend your time with everyone evenly and not focus all your time on just a few confidants before moving to others. Luckily that's what I was doing but even then you meet some block's ridiculously early and it sucks.

This is also annoying because having too many simultaneous confidants in progress means having to juggle personas a lot until you get all 12 slots unlocked, which costs money and is a hassle the first time through.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I don't know man.

Makoto won me over the moment I noticed that she was actually following me. hiding her face behind a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
Since the airsoft guns become real guns in the Metaverse, I like to think that when Joker is slaving away over lockpicks he ends up with a piece of paper that says "lockpick" on.