Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why are youtube video thumbails now showing a black flashing circle in the top left, what did google do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

angry_keebler posted:

yeah it's real bad

i wish apple would decide to make good phones again, but then this is the dark cyberpunk timeline so i guess lol bring on the cheap chinese hand decks

apple continues to proudly make the SE which is the only correct phone choice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anthonypants posted:

why are youtube video thumbails now showing a black flashing circle in the top left, what did google do

maybe it's to fight the "fake video thumbnail" thing? idk because it's not like spammers can't make a blinky circle too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

I'm not seeing any? I even left it there for like a minute and none showed up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Replace the glass with lab grown diamond

diamond is super brittle.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting it too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

much like your sense of self worth

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

Jadite

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

long term they'll probably go back to some kind of polymer screen for shatter resistance with a PVD coating to resolve the scratch/glare problems. that technology is coming along super quick these days

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

I'm not seeing any? I even left it there for like a minute and none showed up.

it only flashes for a few seconds right after the page loads

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it's an adblock bug I think, there's an element that usually shows a "suggested channel" icon on a video, which ublock usually gets rid of, but i guess a recent change left it in this semi-blocked state

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

it's an adblock bug I think, there's an element that usually shows a "suggested channel" icon on a video, which ublock usually gets rid of, but i guess a recent change left it in this semi-blocked state
it's before the video is ever clicked on, it flashes for a few seconds after the page loads and then disappears, and adblock is off

looking at the network connections, it makes a few hits on some log_interaction api on youtube right before it stops

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 13, 2017

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

weird. i got the same thing but while the video was playing in fullscreen, blocking the element fixed it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oops, wrong android thread

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

anthonypants posted:

It's so the projectionist knows when to switch the reels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

it's before the video is ever clicked on, it flashes for a few seconds after the page loads and then disappears, and adblock is off

looking at the network connections, it makes a few hits on some log_interaction api on youtube right before it stops

maybe they're doing some sort of a/b test thing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maybe theyre testing their new captcha thing where they detect what you're doing and guess if you're human

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

It's so the projectionist knows when to switch the reels.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

linux is free if your time is worthless. android proving your time can have negative value.

my friend got one of those android powered tv pirating boxes and it takes like 15 minutes to lock on to a lovely stream and buffers randomly throughout, but i guess to some people spending an hour to watch a poor quality tv show for free is better than spending $15 on hbo now or whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
someone put a bunch of third-party dialers on their android phone and did a writeup on their results https://gkbrk.com/2017/05/android-dialer-packets/

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Dislike button posted:

my friend got one of those android powered tv pirating boxes and it takes like 15 minutes to lock on to a lovely stream and buffers randomly throughout, but i guess to some people spending an hour to watch a poor quality tv show for free is better than spending $15 on hbo now or whatever

oh, you mean an amazon fire tv stick?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

anthonypants posted:

someone put a bunch of third-party dialers on their android phone and did a writeup on their results https://gkbrk.com/2017/05/android-dialer-packets/

quote:

But unfortunately, the first thing this app does after getting the permission is serializing all your contacts into a big string and sending it over to their servers.

lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

you gave me a shiver because i just did a mini trip report in the DYP thread on goog phone(1).apk

somehow the apple phone people seem to be a little ahead of the curve on keeping that poo poo locked down because your dumb life may depend on it

the other guy in that thread who claims to be a doc using his droid "phone" as mission critical gave me a scare as well

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how many people have androids killed?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

when 98% of the market for android phones don't have the vaguest idea what you mean when you say android do you really expect the lieberal media to cover this?

note 7 is a talking point

err, was a talking point

you either have an iphone or you have a sarnsung and that's the reality just talking to people

if they know they are stuck on marshmallow and can't get root you're literally talking to me and should ignore all of my words

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
and pixels are sexy as hell except when they aren't

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

syscall girl posted:

and pixels are sexy as hell except when they aren't

the problem is the pixel is like $750 but i feel ripped off getting paid to own an android phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

deckard could probably tell you

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

deckard could probably tell you

nexus 6 in popular culture redirects here

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

angry_keebler posted:

the problem is the pixel is like $750 but i feel ripped off getting paid to own an android phone

also you cant get one 6 months after release because google only manufactured a total of 20 pixels

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i mean, i guess thomas paine was right because all of my iphones have been free and i think they also stink big time

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

i mean, i guess thomas paine was right because all of my iphones have been free and i think they also stink big time

look up

it's yospos

you are correct and saying that even the iphones are poo poo is in the definition of the surbfurrome

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

does trump still use an android?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Wheany posted:

also you cant get one 6 months after release because google only manufactured a total of 20 pixels

its okay just wait 6 more months and theyll be on swappa for $20

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

literally just google being a google

:ms:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

angry_keebler posted:

i really hate will smith and his dumb face and voice and opinions and i'm glad he broke his phone, i think it's good

I like the voice and most of his opinions. Also I was at good beer week and missed all the Google IO news. where the posts at

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
isn't he a cult guy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He's down with the Scientologists although he says he is not one

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Different Will Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

He's down with the Scientologists although he says he is not one

Given their practice of taping audits it would not be totally insane to surmise that he isn't down with them by choice

• Locked thread