Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

A neat thing I found while looking into our friend Yuuki Mishima, is that some believe he's a reference to author Yukio Mishima, who wrote a famous book, Confessions of a Mask. A book about an awkward, weak boy struggling to fit into Japanese society while discovering he's gay. I bring this up because the author almost has the exact same name as Mishima, the story is quite similar to Mishima's and the book has the word Mask in the title

Wikipedia posted:

Mishima was active as a nationalist and founded his own right-wing militia. He is remembered for his ritual suicide by seppuku after a failed coup d'état attempt, known as the "Mishima Incident".

On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp, the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[18] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and a banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'état to restore the power of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating the soldiers, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The assisting kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual (to decapitate Mishima) had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, who was unable to properly perform the task. After several failed attempts at severing Mishima's head, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima. Morita then knelt and stabbed himself in the abdomen and Koga again performed the kaishakunin duty. This coup is called "Mishima jiken" (三島事件?, "Mishima Incident") in Japan.

The name sure has some, uh, pedigree ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

multijoe posted:

The name sure has some, uh, pedigree ...

And here I was just thinking of Heihachi Mishima the whole time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I want a forty year old Mika to be the tower social link in Persona 6 and for you to help her move on and stop clinging to her lost youth. I have seen her future and, without help, it is not a pretty one.

Yeeeah. I've been close to two people who had relatively serious careers in modeling - one male and one female, both out of it now. The dude has mixed feelings about it; there's lots of things about it he hated, but it also gave him a lot of opportunities like living in NYC and meeting his partner. The lady's life is a mess of addiction, eating disorders, and suicidal ideation. She's only in her thirties.

Modeling and really the entertainment business in general mercilessly preys on attractive, talented young people, exploits their labor to make money hand-over-fist, and then discards them the moment they start losing their looks or becoming problematic for PR. It would've been nice for someone in that industry to be a fully-developed villain with a palace, especially when the Thieves hit perfect targets in fields like business, politics, art, and law enforcement.

A sleazy media/entertainment mogul is kind of the missing piece.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Moltrey posted:

Yeah I think the avenue of "I knew this girl was getting abused, I was the one telling her to go to her abuser and yet I neither did or said anything, I feel absolutely monstrous because of it" would be an interesting look at that character, but that's perhaps too dark, and I dunno how'd you'd resolve it in 10 small scenes, because oofa doofa that's loaded.

I dunno, Persona 4 dealt with "My sister is dead and never coming back" in ten short scenes (the hanged man social link in Persona 4 is really good) they also dealt with "I have an incurable disease and will die soon" in ten short scenes (the Sun social link in Persona 3 is also really good). They probably could written Mishima having survivors guilt pretty well.

Moltrey posted:

Yeah I get this. I feel P5 doesn't try to lean into Modeling Is Good angle as much as P4 did for the idol industry so overall I'm kind of okay with the end result with Ann deciding to take things seriously in her life and try and feed off Mika's passion rather than Rise going back to being an idol because little kids look up to her

and then right after Dancing All Night starts with an idol killing herself

...I've never played Dancing All Night, but it sounds like things get pretty intense fast.

Edit:

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeeeah. I've been close to two people who had relatively serious careers in modeling - one male and one female, both out of it now. The dude has mixed feelings about it; there's lots of things about it he hated, but it also gave him a lot of opportunities like living in NYC and meeting his partner. The lady's life is a mess of addiction, eating disorders, and suicidal ideation. She's only in her thirties.

Modeling and really the entertainment business in general mercilessly preys on attractive, talented young people, exploits their labor to make money hand-over-fist, and then discards them the moment they start losing their looks or becoming problematic for PR. It would've been nice for someone in that industry to be a fully-developed villain with a palace, especially when the Thieves hit perfect targets in fields like business, politics, art, and law enforcement.

A sleazy media/entertainment mogul is kind of the missing piece.

Yeah, that's why I want Mika to be the Tower social link in a future game. A former model trying to move on and figure out what to do with her life now that the industry she worked so hard in has thrown her out for daring to age would make a great story and isn't something that's explored in a way that's sympathetic. When I first started playing I thought she was going to be the tower social link in THIS game (she has a portrait and everything!) but no, she's not. I guess Mika will just have to deal with whatever personal problems she probably has on her own for now.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 16, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFEkR4eiL1c

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mishima sucks because he's the Moon arcana guy and the Moon arcana represents being a insecure loser. He's actually written perfectly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The old "ironic shitposting" gambit.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Also, I always take the wiki for anything with a grain of salt since very often it features completely incorrect or speculative info.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually like Mishima as he has flaws and has to overcome them, which most of the cast don't.

They have bad situations but not any real flaws as people.

I was pretty mean to Mishima for most of his s. link but by the end he showed so much growth I couldn't help but feel proud of him. I think he was written really well--his desperate need to be liked and needed drives him to do some questionable things but ultimately he grows and ends up risking his safety for someone else just because he wanted to help. Mishima is Good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Today I figured out that all those heavy reading books in your attic room you cleaned out in late April were actually Wakaba's and Sojiro probably moved them up there so Futaba wouldn't have to see them.

Poor guy. :(

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Count Bleck posted:

Today I figured out that all those heavy reading books in your attic room you cleaned out in late April were actually Wakaba's and Sojiro probably moved them up there so Futaba wouldn't have to see them.

Poor guy. :(

Wakaba, Futaba and Sojiro seem like the most consistently subtle and well-written narrative in this game to me, and stuff like this just clinches it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think they're probably Sojiro's since they're not really about (p)scientific stuff. Sojiro used to be in government himself, after all.

(from the ongoing LP)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is all true but it still leads to the same conclusion that Mishima is a really poorly written character.

Who's this emphysema guy you're all going on about?

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I actually do like Mishima as a character in his social link. I think part of the issue is that, the way Persona works, they try and make all non-social link scenes with a character be agnostic about where you are in the link. So, outside of his social link they just made Mishima the guy who gets dunked on constantly, and that doesn't make for a great character. None of his growth actually comes through, because the second you interact with him outside the social link he doesn't feel like he has made any progress as a person. I think Mishima's arc works well though inside its own bubble.

Side note, because it just happened to me in NG+, Makoto gets dunked on a lot before she joins up too. Even Akechi comes by just to antagonize her.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Tbf life is dunking on Makoto all the time until she nuts up and becomes a biker ninja

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MrAptronym posted:

I actually do like Mishima as a character in his social link. I think part of the issue is that, the way Persona works, they try and make all non-social link scenes with a character be agnostic about where you are in the link. So, outside of his social link they just made Mishima the guy who gets dunked on constantly, and that doesn't make for a great character. None of his growth actually comes through, because the second you interact with him outside the social link he doesn't feel like he has made any progress as a person. I think Mishima's arc works well though inside its own bubble.

Side note, because it just happened to me in NG+, Makoto gets dunked on a lot before she joins up too. Even Akechi comes by just to antagonize her.

Yeah, that's why she has enough repressed rage to punch nuclear explosions at people.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In hindsight it was probably a bad idea to give Akechi an Omnipotent Orb before the Shadow Sae fight and I'm glad he dumps all his gear right afterwards, otherwise the fight in Shido's palace would've been quite awkward.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Tbf life is dunking on Makoto all the time until she nuts up and becomes a biker ninja

encouraging robots to ride motorbikes is how skynet happens

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MrAptronym posted:

Akechi wants to be your friend, he's just misunderstood.

Too many side quests with Mishima and you're forced to have him as your roommate at the Hawaii trip. He's the Teddy of P5 and I'd be happy if they replace some scenes with Akechi or Mona taking a nap. Just no more Phan-site updates because I don't careeeee.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

AG3 posted:

In hindsight it was probably a bad idea to give Akechi an Omnipotent Orb before the Shadow Sae fight and I'm glad he dumps all his gear right afterwards, otherwise the fight in Shido's palace would've been quite awkward.

akechi is really bad at what he does

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

he's really good at being goro, but he's not sega's best goro

and he's really good at wearing sweater vests without competition

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man there's a lotta good goro's huh?

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

he's great at being my friend

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Don't bring majima down to akechi's level

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Majima is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 on the list of the 10 best Goros.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really need Goro wearing a tuxedo with an eyepatch + ponytail now please

Majima is so strong

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Akechi don't know poo poo about being a wild card compared to Majima

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 5-2 has a lot more of Goro jumping out of the sewer to beat Joker up with a baseball bat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw

but Majima is Joker and everyone else is the party.

(any excuse to rewatch this)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 5-2 has an indepth minigame where you play as Goro and manage an IHOP

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

MrAptronym posted:

I feel like Mishima's link starts going somewhere good in its later stages but then completely blows what it's supposed to be about. Mishima realizes that he should live his own life and help others, rather than devoting his life to promoting the Phantom Thieves and trying to get famous off them. So of course his way of doing this cool and good thing is to... make a documentary promoting the Phantom Thieves and try to get famous off them.

Like I guess you could make the argument that he's trying to just help the Phantom Thieves and isn't looking for any personal gain, but it's still a weird direction to take things. I was hoping he'd realize that maybe he could do things for the world outside of things related to the Phantom Thieves but nope, can't let that Phan-Site die!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm still physically attracted to Goro Akechi

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Well, his character design is pretty cool and idk what Mishima is wearing even on his off-days.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sea Sponge Run posted:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

goro akechi it probably to worse goro featured in a game released this year.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
the gun fellatio scene from Spring Breakers but it's Moltrey instead of James Franco, and two Akechis instead of Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
starting a merciless NG++ now.

sign my forced confession as Goro Akechi.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
mishima should be the gay romance option

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

mishima should be the gay romance option

There should be several gay romance options imo.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There should be several gay romance options imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

"I want queer representation in a game that attempts to depict life in modern day!"

(JOHNSON COCKSLAP scrambles to show off to everyone how little they care about others for sick eCred)

• Locked thread