Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

[looks over both shoulders and gets real close to the mic] im worried makoto will become the chie of P5 where she's insanely popular now but who gives a poo poo in like six years cause there's the realization she may be a bit weak a character

The difference is Makoto is likable and even relatable from the beginning. Plus she's the best support party member.

Chie is fail and thoroughly detestable from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Chie is like someone at Atlus went "what if we did Lisa again but without the stuff that made her interesting" and no one had any complaints

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

[2008]
the words "trial of the dragon" said by a 42 year old woman and played at 0.75x speed

[2012]
barely audible screeching vaguely resembling the words "trial of the dragon".

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also it takes a ton for me to actually dislike a character but 1) kicking a character in the balls and 2) demanding they buy you steak in the shittiest voice acting possible makes it incredibly hard to endear me to a character.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Ever since p5 came out I only refer to Yosuke as "worse Ryuji"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

minema posted:

Since the airsoft guns become real guns in the Metaverse, I like to think that when Joker is slaving away over lockpicks he ends up with a piece of paper that says "lockpick" on.

Is that stupid "toy guns that turn real!" idea in the japanese version too?

It's so silly. We are crimeboys. We use guns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Why wouldn't it be?

It's kinda hard to get access to guns in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

minema posted:

Since the airsoft guns become real guns in the Metaverse, I like to think that when Joker is slaving away over lockpicks he ends up with a piece of paper that says "lockpick" on.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why wouldn't it be?

It's kinda hard to get access to guns in Japan.

Also your basic lockpick isn't much more than two strips of metal, it's not like you're making a Pick Gun or something. It's not entirely hard to believe Joker could sit down and turn out some cheap basic lockpicks with guidance from Morgana.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Vitamin P posted:

It's probably a case of 'you think it looks just like the real thing' and in the mental world it turns real simply because of your thoughts. Or the enemy's thoughts?

And Morgana's version of a lockpick is a hairpin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, airsoft is a relatively popular hobby in Japan, so THOSE wouldn't be hard to get.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, airsoft is a relatively popular hobby in Japan, so THOSE wouldn't be hard to get.

Plus they don't have to have the ridiculous orange caps like we do so our cops don't shoot us (in theory)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I like Makoto in that she clearly wants to be the sensible straight man even after she gets involved with this cognitive 'pscience' nonsense, and the plot isn't having it. She also has a cool bike. But I don't like her enough to go out of my way to grind charm solely to ensure I can complete her S-Link. I'll continue once I've hung out with Bernie Sun-ders some more so I can spend the entire double date talking about economic inequality.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Grouchio posted:

E'scuse me, but what did you guys name your MC?

Shotaro Hidari.

All the playable characters are cool and good except for Ryuji. I'd have rather had Mishima as a playable character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what the gently caress

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ryuji is awesome and cool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

are airsoft grenade launchers a thing

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pastrymancy posted:

Ever since p5 came out I only refer to Yosuke as "worse Ryuji"

How odd, I was calling him "worse Junpei" and still am.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Belgian Waffle posted:

Shotaro Hidari.

All the playable characters are cool and good except for Ryuji. I'd have rather had Mishima as a playable character.

*David Attenborough voice* Ladies and gentlemen, here on the plains of the Something Awful forums, we see a proud and stunning specimen of a Wrong Opinion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I like Makoto in that she clearly wants to be the sensible straight man even after she gets involved with this cognitive 'pscience' nonsense, and the plot isn't having it. She also has a cool bike. But I don't like her enough to go out of my way to grind charm solely to ensure I can complete her S-Link. I'll continue once I've hung out with Bernie Sun-ders some more so I can spend the entire double date talking about economic inequality.

Charm was the first thing I maxed so that Joker could date Makoto, as is canon, but also she's the only social link who requires Charm beyond 3, while two require higher Kindness and two require higher Proficiency, so I can understand prioritizing other things over leveling Charm.

Grouchio posted:

E'scuse me, but what did you guys name your MC?

Akira Kuzunoha.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Yes. And airsoft grenades run the gamut from "solid plastic lump that just means you're dead if it lands near you" to "actually throws clouds of BBs into the air and if you're really unlucky it's someone's homemade overcharged piece of poo poo that's blasting them out at massively unsafe velocities"

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 16, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yes. And airsoft grenades run the gamut from "solid plastic lump that just means you're dead if it lands near you" to "actually throws clouds of BBs into the air and if you're really unlucky it's someone's homemade overcharged piece of poo poo that's blasting them out at massively unsafe velocities"

Yeah airsoft grenade lauchers are actually pretty dangerous.

It's kind of terrifying how stupid people can be at times.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I Don't Like Ryuji

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ryuji is a good and believable character

Probably the least believable-as-a-real-human character (aside from the talking anime cat) is Yusuke but maybe I just didn't hang out with enough artists in high school/college. However, Yusuke is also very good and cool, so that's fine.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Half the party's confidants have big importance on their relationship with a friend. Makoto's is just not super interesting although there are some good scenes in it that I like a bunch.

Is Ann the only confidant with a tertiary character in her story with an actual portrait?

Oxxidation posted:

Haru is rich and above the law, the grenade launcher is real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mishima is an example of good character writing in his link and atrocious writing outside.

He's a pitiable soul and someone you'd never want to hang out with because he's a god-drat dork in his link and that was the intent ultimately so good on Atlus.

Outside of it, he needs to shut the gently caress up about the god-drat phansite

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ryuji surprised me as a Confidant, because he's already put his demons behind him before you ever showed up. Once Kamoshida's out of the picture he doesn't really need you, he just wants to hang out. I like that about him, and his enthusiasm for the Phantom Thieves.

edit: oh lord did they really revisit the 'try to pick up girls at the beach' bit from Persona 3.

edit2: wow right down to the gay panic no less

edit3: thank god Yusuke has crabs now, that was getting awkward

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 16, 2017

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Ryuji knows exactly who he is

who he is, is my bro.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mishima is an example of good character writing in his link and atrocious writing outside.

He's a pitiable soul and someone you'd never want to hang out with because he's a god-drat dork in his link and that was the intent ultimately so good on Atlus.

Outside of it, he needs to shut the gently caress up about the god-drat phansite

I like that sometimes you have no option but to dunk the poo poo out of him.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress you Morgana, let me out of my loving room so I can call my hot teacher for a massage so I can actually get something done tonight. I don't give a poo poo that the palace visit was basically just a cutscene, I worked hard for this confidant dammit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rangpur posted:

edit3: thank god Yusuke has crabs now, that was getting awkward

Um they are LOBSTERS.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
BTW these premium themes are actually pretty legit. I thought they were just avatar packs at first but the themes are all snazzy. Joker theme plays Behind the Mask, Igor's plays the Velvet Room theme.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
All we now need is a theme that plays rivers in the desert

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Is Ann the only confidant with a tertiary character in her story with an actual portrait?

I think so, yes. It actually kind of stuck out that other equally-important characters in other confidant stories, like Kaoru in Iwai's confidant, didn't have portraits, too.

Deified Data posted:

BTW these premium themes are actually pretty legit. I thought they were just avatar packs at first but the themes are all snazzy. Joker theme plays Behind the Mask, Igor's plays the Velvet Room theme.

The Ryuji and Akechi themes play Phantom, which owns. I really wish the Joker one played that. I'm using the Velvet Room theme right now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I assume it's the same as the one you got for pre-ordering on PSN so yeah, the Joker one is really good.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
it's a shame that the joker one is pre order digital only

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

it's a shame that the joker one is pre order digital only

?

Are we thinking of the same theme, because I have it and I bought Steal Your Heart.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sefal posted:

I don't know man.

Makoto won me over the moment I noticed that she was actually following me. hiding her face behind a book.

In mementos, several of her lines are "Hey, have you guys heard about this 'manga'? This stuff is pretty interesting." Which makes it seem like she ended up reading the book she was hiding behind.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

?

Are we thinking of the same theme, because I have it and I bought Steal Your Heart.

The only ones I see on psn store are the party members except joker and the velvet room.

DalaranJ posted:

In mementos, several of her lines are "Hey, have you guys heard about this 'manga'? This stuff is pretty interesting." Which makes it seem like she ended up reading the book she was hiding behind.

That's amazing :allears:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Harrow posted:

Charm was the first thing I maxed so that Joker could date Makoto, as is canon, but also she's the only social link who requires Charm beyond 3, while two require higher Kindness and two require higher Proficiency, so I can understand prioritizing other things over leveling Charm.

Death confidant needs charm 4.

A pain, considering she is a very early confidant.

There is one confidant that needs guts 3 to start, one needs guts 4 to start and guts 5 to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Akira Kuzunoha.

same