Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cowcaster posted:

one of my friends just mentioned "that wrestling game where all the fighters are rappers" as if it were common knowledge and how the gently caress did i not know this existed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Jam:_Fight_for_NY

You've been missing the gently caress out, FFNY owned.
The other Def Jam games... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom 2016 is the closest you can get to a playable version of the Doom comic.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Palpek posted:

I heard that Syndicate 2012 is really good in co-op because the other players get completely different sets of abilities that do some amusing stuff when used together.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the way it played. It worked well for Darkness 2. This was a time when co-op multiplayer was being put into all kinds of games and I loved it. It sucks that there's not really a community for it anymore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean even if doom 2016 didn't tickle your fancy there's a shitjillion other good FPS games out there in an oversaturated genre and roping yourself to syndicate 2012 as the best of the bunch is really strange to me

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

It's kinda slow

I have only played like the first three hours or so but I think you saying this guarantees that it is the fastest game ever made

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Doom 2016 is pretty fast but then I ruin the pacing by opening the map every 20 seconds + going back to unexplored areas to find collectibles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do that and then still always miss one lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I felt it was cool that you could go back to any map to find that last collectible and it would be added to your current playthrough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Doom 2016 is pretty fast but then I ruin the pacing by opening the map every 20 seconds + going back to unexplored areas to find collectibles

i do this with every game in which it is possible to do so. every. single. one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there are two paths and you take the one that leads to progress, you better turn around and go down the other path because there's gonna be an item at the end of it. Video Games 101

e: Incidentally this is why I despise random encounters in RPGs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

It was really good too, the fighting was based on timing and rhythm and instead of diala-combos your attacks were assigned to single buttons you could press or hold like Smash Bros. The character creation was pretty great and the single player campaign had a lot of meat to it. Also Henry Rollins was your personal trainer for some reason.

He was also a total rear end in a top hat until you finally get to fight him, then he's much more subdued after you kick his rear end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doom 2016's only real flaws are mostly uninspired storytelling and having stages that are like 3x as long as they should be.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
lol if you played Doom 2016 for the story

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doom 2016's story is the pinnacle of human achievement in this fledgling narrative medium we call "videogames"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is nothing wrong with the story in Doom.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I don't fully agree that the levels were too long but they could have cut 1 or 2 levels out and I wouldn't have felt cheated.

Saying that I forget that you can beat E1M1 of the first Doom in like 12 seconds.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

There is nothing wrong with the story in Doom.

Lies the game forces you to listen to robot man drone for 3 minutes instead of killing more demons

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Honestly the only problem with DOOM's story is having to listen to robot man talk for 20 minutes in a game built around fast paced double jumping while punching demons through their skulls.

e: gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was under the impression that it starts out "Who cares about story :cool:" then goes "Anyway here's a bunch of story"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sequence is dumb yeah but it's the only one and it's like 75% of the way through the game

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

doom 2016's story is the pinnacle of human achievement in this fledgling narrative medium we call "videogames"

Doom's plot is very important.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm cool with that--I didn't mind slowing down to explore in between fast-paced battles. I know Super Bunnyhop's review was super negative on the exploring to find collectibles, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the secret areas are annoying to unlock even if you know exactly where they are. I just gave up on trying to 100% the game, it's not like Doom requires it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

I'll say this much; Doom's demo isn't great outside of setting the ridiculous tone. It's too short, linear, and doesn't give you the options that make the game great. It's fine as an introduction to the full campaign, and the following level really gets going, but it's not the best showpiece.

Ok, fair enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5x1yL2kGT0

I mean I suppose it only makes sense. Start with Create-A-Goku and move on from there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like if they just eliminated this from the game it would help a looooot

How was Syndicate on this front?

i havent beaten it of course but so far i've never trailed a single person in ac syndicate, and thank god because those missions suuuuuuck

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I suppose it only makes sense. Start with Create-A-Goku and move on from there.

It's actually kind of surprising it took them this long.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Holy drat, they are finally tapping into the "creates Sonic the Hedgehog original characters (do not steal)" demographic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OC the Hedgehog

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy drat, they are finally tapping into the "creates Sonic the Hedgehog original characters (do not steal)" demographic.

sonic the hedgehog 2018 is going to be the greatest selling videogame of all time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

game looks like sonic generations but more of that which i'm ok with tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZfptketUc

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i mean even if doom 2016 didn't tickle your fancy there's a shitjillion other good FPS games out there in an oversaturated genre and roping yourself to syndicate 2012 as the best of the bunch is really strange to me

For some clarification: Im not saying its the best fps ever, just one that hit my personal fancies all together at the right time.

It also helps that the colors and music were a change of pace from other popular shooters. And that 2012 was one of the last years before I realized that fps is not an enjoyable genre for me on average.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Sonic Dreams Collection is now officially canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3sUl2pMGvE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

If there are two paths and you take the one that leads to progress, you better turn around and go down the other path because there's gonna be an item at the end of it. Video Games 101

e: Incidentally this is why I despise random encounters in RPGs

you might think this is bullshit but i swear this really works:

in JRPGs, the path with the treasure is almost always to the right, and the path forward to the left. in WRPGs, it's the opposite.

i theorize this is because you read japanese from right to left and western languages from left to right. regardless, it's something i've been doing in games for over a decade and it almost always works.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nasgate posted:

For some clarification: Im not saying its the best fps ever, just one that hit my personal fancies all together at the right time.

It also helps that the colors and music were a change of pace from other popular shooters. And that 2012 was one of the last years before I realized that fps is not an enjoyable genre for me on average.

fair enough but that's kind of shame because since 2012 the fps zetigeist has finally been drifting away from the same boxy linear corridor shooters that dominated the past decade or so and developers are trying to make horde shooters and arena shooters with color again

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

i havent beaten it of course but so far i've never trailed a single person in ac syndicate, and thank god because those missions suuuuuuck

I might actually give it a shot sometime then- setting looks neat

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Syndicate FPS did ooze alot of cyberpunk style and it stands out to me because of that. I wish they could have went with a less clichéd story but eh I'll take something rather than nothing. I never got to play the multiplayer because it was dead by the time I got around to it. Looked really cool because you were basically running old style Syndicate missions except you were the agent rather than the mission overseer.

And if you don't enjoy FPS's much than DOOM won't change your mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I was under the impression that it starts out "Who cares about story :cool:" then goes "Anyway here's a bunch of story"

Exactly. Plus there's all these lore entries, and I mean it's my fault for reading them, but you'd think at least one of them wouldn't be boring.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

you might think this is bullshit but i swear this really works:

in JRPGs, the path with the treasure is almost always to the right, and the path forward to the left. in WRPGs, it's the opposite.

i theorize this is because you read japanese from right to left and western languages from left to right. regardless, it's something i've been doing in games for over a decade and it almost always works.

I hate when you realise you've accidentally gone down the correct path so you have to backtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have only played like the first three hours or so but I think you saying this guarantees that it is the fastest game ever made

I just mean compared to like, Doom or Quake. It's faster than COD and such

• Locked thread