Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

RIP Powers Boothe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Anals of History posted:

RIP Powers Boothe

God drat it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gently caress! He elevated Red Dawn for God's sake. An amazing piece of poo poo movie and he loving elevated it to actually good.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Apparently, it was a hoax, he's alive and well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://tvline.com/2017/05/14/powers-boothe-dies-deadwood-actor-dead-age-68/

Says they got the word from his publicist.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Klungar posted:

Apparently, it was a hoax, he's alive and well.

That "celebrity death hoax" website is itself a fake site, never trust them

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Looking him up in IMDB, he's credited as a member of the World Security Council. Is Hydra Dad supposed to be the same character?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, I was going off of people on twitter who were using the massmedia site to refute his death. My bad. RIP Mr. Boothe.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Looking him up in IMDB, he's credited as a member of the World Security Council. Is Hydra Dad supposed to be the same character?

Yes, same character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yes. He helped with the Hydra infiltration, but due to different end goals stayed in the shadows when Robert Redford made his big coup attempt.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Anals of History posted:

RIP Powers Boothe

The CNN obit headline referred to him as the actor known for his role on Agents of Shield. Which okay sure recency, but man that really misses the mark.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

flosofl posted:

God drat it.

Literally the words that came spewing out of my mouth reflexively when I saw the news. Deadwood is one of my favorite shows ever, and his run as Malick was great on AoS here. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

Deadwood is one of my favorite shows ever, and his run as Malick was great on AoS here. :(

He will always be Coach to me.

E: I'm leaving this uncorrected as a testament of how stupid I am.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 15, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

flosofl posted:

He will always be Coach to me.

Do you maybe mean Craig T. Nelson?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

Do you maybe mean Craig T. Nelson?

Well gently caress me, that's right. I'm always mixing those two up.

I'm leaving my original comment as a testament to my face (and voice) blindness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

The CNN obit headline referred to him as the actor known for his role on Agents of Shield. Which okay sure recency, but man that really misses the mark.

Every mention I've seen invokes SHIELD and Sin City, and while I'm a fan of both and I guess I understand the recency of those overtaking "famed character actor" it still seems like a major undersell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
At least I've not seen anyone mention Hitman: Absolution yet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

So many films are shot in Toronto now and its hard to accept this is in some totally different city when Harley Quinn is standing right under the sign for the bloor street subway station, or the Hulk is fighting outside the Zanzibar strip club.

I think more shows are being shot here, I know they filmed Handmaids Tail here and The Expanse as well. Also, lol Star Trek Discovery.

Though wasn't the X-men tv show being shot in Toronto? I feel like I saw that somewhere.

Someone could make a killing if they bought up some cheap land in Toronto and created a few movie backlots with replicas of generic NY streets.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone could make a killing if they bought up some cheap land in Toronto and created a few movie backlots with replicas of generic NY streets.

That's basically word for word what they did with an old factory that became the set for the Resident Evil films.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saw the thread light up and thought it was going to be details about the full season renewal.

Then saw Powers Boothe died. Goddamn it. He was awesome.

Apoplexy posted:

His directing credits from S2?

- Face My Enemy (2014)
- One of Us (2015)
- The Dirty Half Dozen (2015)

AKA: The May Does A Flying Face-Slam Of Another May's Face Into A Coffee Table Episode, The Really Great One Where Skye's Dad Recruits A B-Team Of Crappy Villains, and this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUKXSEBBZQ

Yeah, keep giving him work. Don't blame the poor guy for unwittingly participating in a Scott Buck gently caress-up.

That's pretty impressive; I didn't realize he had a hand in Iron Fist. Still the fight sequences in that show were so loving lame, while AoS - as you mentioned - have honestly been able to keep up with Daredevil (which already has awesome fight sequences) since like Season 3 or so.

Eearly AoS felt like a more violent A-Team with people actually dying but since the Inhuman arc it's been easily some of the best action sequences filmed on TV (and probably just period given movie action sequences mostly rely on SHAKKKKEY CAMMMMM)

Oasx posted:

I feel the same way because of not being from the US. There is always someone who complains that random tv city doesn't actually look like that city in real life, because apparently half the shows on tv are shot in Canada.

I have the reverse problem living in Los Angeles, where every city you see is clearly LA. It's not super notable (and just nitpicking) until they do poo poo like film in Union Station, which is unmistakable as hell.

I cannot begin to count the shows that filmed in Echo Park.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Anals of History posted:

RIP Powers Boothe

What? oh no.
He was great in Deadwood, and he really made an impression in everything I saw him play.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Agents of shield has like one good action scene, that long take with Quake

I can't even remember any others so I deem them forgettable and mediocre

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Open Source Idiom posted:

At least I've not seen anyone mention Hitman: Absolution yet.

Well, I'll bring up Tombstone and the Justice League series. Motherfucker was an amazing Grodd.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's pretty impressive; I didn't realize he had a hand in Iron Fist. Still the fight sequences in that show were so loving lame, while AoS - as you mentioned - have honestly been able to keep up with Daredevil (which already has awesome fight sequences) since like Season 3 or so.

Yep directed episode eight. The drunken boxing one. You know the episode that contained the only good fight scene in a show about a magical Kung Fu man who got his powers from ripping out the heart of a dragon and a bunch of ninjas.

Man Scott Buck/ whoever wrote the script really hosed up Iron Fist. Inhumans will probably end up sucking too. :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fartbox posted:

Did you never see May fight?
Bolting Ward's foot onto the ground.
Jamming her doppelgangers face into that table.
Doing a wallflip-kick against the Iron Chef.
Cavalarying a bunch of mind controlled people.

How about Daisy's quaking?
The scene where the real shield tries to catch her and she tears a tree to splinters.
Propelling herself on top of a moving car.

Or how about that episode with the large scale EMP, where the team did a fight in stroboscopic light and Fitz jammed a pen through someones hand.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 16, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Bobbi starred in good right and nothing less.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Fartbox posted:

Kinda feel like network TV-based fights and effects have to be graded on a curve. The fight scenes and explosions in stuff like Into the Badlands, Daredevil, Strike Back, etc. are way better, but those are higher budget, with fewer episodes to fill, and on a different schedule. Compared to those, AOS is forgettable. Compared to something like Grimm, AOS is some Bruce Lee poo poo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
S5 will not premiere until midseason.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/16/abc-fall-schedule-2017/

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Does that mean it's only half a season?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mymla posted:

Does that mean it's only half a season?

Depends, they could still have a full episode order with minimal breaks (which incidentally is the biggest complaint in here about AoS stretched out throughout a traditional television schedule)

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

9 pm on Friday for Inhumans? Doesn't look like ABC has much confidence in the show.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Anals of History posted:

Kinda feel like network TV-based fights and effects have to be graded on a curve. The fight scenes and explosions in stuff like Into the Badlands, Daredevil, Strike Back, etc. are way better, but those are higher budget, with fewer episodes to fill, and on a different schedule. Compared to those, AOS is forgettable. Compared to something like Grimm, AOS is some Bruce Lee poo poo.

There isn't a chance in hell any of the Netflix series individually have a higher budget than AoS.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Double Agent posted:

9 pm on Friday for Inhumans? Doesn't look like ABC has much confidence in the show.

They call it the friday night death slot for a reason.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I might be more forgiving of SHIELD's fight choreography because I adore the cast.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Apparently, it's still a full season order, so I guess it'll premiere in January and air with minimal to no interruption through May.

https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/864514521691443200

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

HotCanadianChick posted:

They call it the friday night death slot for a reason.

I know. It's why I'm hoping that Shield doesn't get the slot once Inhumans is done.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CaveGrinch posted:

There isn't a chance in hell any of the Netflix series individually have a higher budget than AoS.

But they do probably have a more forgiving shooting schedule that in theory lets them spend more time on choreography.

I'm going to guess the plan is to stick Shield in as Inhumans replacement on the schedule, though they might also be hedging their bets on The Gospel of Kevin.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if AoS will do anything that will reference or tie into the Avengers movie.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

howe_sam posted:

But they do probably have a more forgiving shooting schedule that in theory lets them spend more time on choreography.

I'm going to guess the plan is to stick Shield in as Inhumans replacement on the schedule, though they might also be hedging their bets on The Gospel of Kevin.

It might be set up to start in Nov or so as well as I think Inhumans is only 10-13 episodes.

And it's highly possible that they're holding on to it as a replacement drama for any new-show failure, since they're confident that its audience will follow it wherever (mostly following it to day-after streaming and/or post-season netflix streaming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really liked the season 1 Into the Badlands fights but it's obvious how simply adding four extra episodes for season 2 has really hosed up the overall caliber of its fighting scenes. I'd rather they just outright omitted some of those more embarrassing s2 action scenes if they couldn't keep up the quality or match the standards they themselves set.

More on topic: how could anyone forget the Bobbi vs Ward fight from the season 2 finale.

• Locked thread