Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Look at this loving idiot

The coolest thing whenever Bonds comes up is it turns into a total honeypot for dopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
nobody tell The Walrus about greenies

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

If they were caught taking them then yes. If they just claim/admit to have taken them no.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Walrus posted:

the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

But Bonds was never caught tho

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spoeank posted:

nobody tell The Walrus about greenies

oops

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But Bonds was never caught tho

oh lol well that is the first sensible thing anyone's said, if I was mistaken and he was just 'linked' than of course he should be in.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

They were allowed. For a really long time too. Including the vast majority of Barry Bonds' career.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

If they were caught taking them then yes. If they just claim/admit to have taken them no.

Barry Bonds was literally never caught cheating.

e: beaten.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

I'm not actually participating in BondsHallDopeChat v13855 but this did make me curious: were amphetamines etc banned at that time?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

does this coincide with a replacement player line?

It depends on IP, but over a full season it's slightly better than replacement level. Yordano Ventura pitched 186 IP with a 4.45 ERA last year for a WAR of 1.5, for example.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If Ozzie "Career .262/.337/.328" Smith can make it into the hall while playing in the steroid era, then just let everyone in imo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

bewbies posted:

I'm not actually participating in BondsHallDopeChat v13855 but this did make me curious: were amphetamines etc banned at that time?

Amphetamines were banned in the seventies but players continued using them into the new century. What with the hosed up road schedules a lot of teams (especially western ones) have they were seen as a necessity.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The Walrus posted:

oh lol well that is the first sensible thing anyone's said, if I was mistaken and he was just 'linked' than of course he should be in.

Cheating is and has always been a part of the game. Read Jason Turbow's "The Baseball Codes", he dedicates a few chapters to it.

A hundred years ago the Pirates had a guy in the outfield with binoculars who would steal signs and change a crossbar in an advertising sign to reflect whether he thought a breaking pitch or a fastball was coming. More recently the Royals used the dividing colon in the clock to do the same thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

They were banned in the same way steroids were banned in the 90s/early 2000s. There was technically a rule against it but no testing for it at the major league level and nobody actually gave a poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

OBP doesn't care for an error? I'm AOK with fielder's choice, you shouldn't get a hit just because there's already a man on.

Fielders Choice is fine in most cases, but there are times where the only play is to get the lead runner in which case the hitter gets no credit where as if there was no lead runner they would have had a hit.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If Ozzie "Career .262/.337/.328" Smith can make it into the hall while playing in the steroid era, then just let everyone in imo.

He used a secret portal to the Hall only accessible via the Mystery Spot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

He used a secret portal to the Hall only accessible via the Mystery Spot.

His career OPS is .666 so this checks out.

If only Alan Trammell had done a flip once. :argh:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ozzie Smith is fuckin cool as hell and fellas, are you tired of your ex-wife retaining custody of your children and receiving thousands of dollars per month of alimony? Call my friends at Cordell & Cordell today to take back your life.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any modern baseball nerd analysis discussing just how good Ozzie Smith was defensively? I remember him always being described as "best defensive player ever" etc by announcers when I was a kid but I have no idea if that analysis would survive modern analytics in much the same way Dorak Jeater did not.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

Is there any modern baseball nerd analysis discussing just how good Ozzie Smith was defensively? I remember him always being described as "best defensive player ever" etc by announcers when I was a kid but I have no idea if that analysis would survive modern analytics in much the same way Dorak Jeater did not.

Just quickly, career defensive WAR:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

Ozzie was really drat good at defense.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

All BBWAA voters should be forced to listen to 50 minutes of BondsChat with the Cespedes BBQ guys, and the ones stll harrumphing about cheating afterwards should have their votes taken away.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tinstaach posted:

All BBWAA voters should be forced to listen to 50 minutes of BondsChat with the Cespedes BBQ guys, and the ones stll harrumphing about cheating afterwards should have their votes taken away.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

Roids don't matter if you have a .600 OBP without the bat!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Fielders Choice is fine in most cases, but there are times where the only play is to get the lead runner in which case the hitter gets no credit where as if there was no lead runner they would have had a hit.

It's theoretically possible this could happen (slow runner on first, fast runner at the plate, ground ball hit into the hole) but I certainly can't recall seeing it actually ever take place.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

Roids don't matter if you have a .600 OBP without the bat!

I'm still skeptical about this conclusion. For one thing, pitches Bonds sees at 0-2 are not going to have the same ball-strike ratio as pitches he sees at 3-0.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

He leads all MLB players in career defensive WAR with 43.4, he also had 47.8 Off. WAR so he was pretty drat great at his job

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

But he was literally a wizard :smugwizard:

Everything Barry Bonds did was "legal" in the sense of MLB because that poo poo wasn't banned yet and the policy didn't go into effect until 2005. And then in 2006 and 2007 he STILL slashed 273/467/554 with 54 dingers as a god drat 41 and 42 year old.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm still skeptical about this conclusion. For one thing, pitches Bonds sees at 0-2 are not going to have the same ball-strike ratio as pitches he sees at 3-0.

Yeah, the whole point was just "I need a probability of stirke/ball without digging too far"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

Just quickly, career defensive WAR:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

Ozzie was really drat good at defense.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He leads all MLB players in career defensive WAR with 43.4, he also had 47.8 Off. WAR so he was pretty drat great at his job

I know about his dWAR and etc....I was under the impression though that dWAR for past players was kinda iffy and thus curious if any further analysis had been done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping.

None of the early '90s Jays would have been popped because MLB didn't begin drug testing until 2003.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Not to mention that his bat was so feared that he was literally intentionally walked with the bases loaded on at least one occasion

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Julio Cruz posted:

loving truth. Before 1998 (which is when he started according to Game of Shadows) he had 7400 PAs with a 162 OPS+, 3 MVPs and 91.5 WAR.

People only remember his power hitting years. They forget he's the only member of the 400-400 and 500-500 club. In 1990 he had 33 HR, 114 RBI, 52 SB, an OPS of .970 and 9.7 WAR. In '93 he had 46 HR, 123 RBI, only 29 SB with a OPS of 1.136 and 9.9 WAR. I would say his only weakness was his arm in the field.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 16, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Yeah but he had less than 3000 hits, lmao

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Bonds was always sick to watch, but man when he had his speed when he was young, was watching a guy play a different game. We were spoiled in the 80s and 90s with players.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mike_V posted:

Ozzie Smith is fuckin cool as hell and fellas, are you tired of your ex-wife retaining custody of your children and receiving thousands of dollars per month of alimony? Call my friends at Cordell & Cordell today to take back your life.

If you feel like you're getting further and further behind, pressured by creditors seeking to seize your money or property, and are looking to get a fresh start, call T.J. Mullin, Attorney at Law.

862-7474 or in Illinois 277-0707. That's 862-7474 or in Illinois 277-0707.

I can never remember the phone numbers of my friends and family but I'll always remember how to contact T.J. Mullin.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Speaking of, have the Cardinals as an organization put whatever bad blood was between them and the Wizard behind them? I thought I saw that he was doing stuff for their post-game show on FSMW.

Was it LaRussa who started that?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Bonds was always sick to watch, but man when he had his speed when he was young, was watching a guy play a different game. We were spoiled in the 80s and 90s with players.

Arod stole 111 bases from '96-'99 and Bonds stole 120. They were not of this Earth.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

I know about his dWAR and etc....I was under the impression though that dWAR for past players was kinda iffy and thus curious if any further analysis had been done.

I read on BP that he also saved about 200 runs total for his career with his D. What's really impressive about that is he was actually a bit of a liability in the last 2 years of his career (-16.7 Fielding Runs Above Average), so had he retired before that, he'd finish with 209 FRAA, which is an average of about 12.5 a year.

By comparison, JJ Hardy won the GG 3 times in a row, and his FRAA was 21.5 in 2012 with only 6 errors (absolutely worthy), -12.2 with 8 Errors (probably should have gone to Dozier, and Hardy shouldn't have got it ), and 1.7 in 2014, although his RTOT was 14. They absolutely could have given it to Dozier there too, although because he bounces back between 2B and SS I seE why they didn't.

Let's take Ozzie's best 3 year stretch as a fielder (84-85 to 86-87 ) and compare: an average FPCT of .980, an FRAA of 29.9, AND only 41 errors 1453 chances. And AN AVERAGE OF 16.5 RTOT.

Ozzie was the loving man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

Unless you're a Mets fan in which case it was just a shitload of coke

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Not to mention that his bat was so feared that he was literally intentionally walked with the bases loaded on at least one occasion

This doesn't even do it justice. It was the bottom of the ninth and walking him made it a one run game

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67794252/v134341083/arisf-dbacks-walk-bonds-with-the-bases-loaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Also can we change it so that inherited runners count as .5 towards the ERA for both the pitcher who let the man on base and the pitcher who let him score?

Just assign the expected runs from for the outs+baserunners scenario to the outgoing pitcher and credit them to the reliever. Then all future runs are assigned to the reliver.

• Locked thread