Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

there's all these lore entries, and I mean it's my fault for reading them

interezting, zo you are implying zat ze lore iz neither bad nor good until it iz obzerved, nein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I hate when you realise you've accidentally gone down the correct path so you have to backtrack

And then when you get all the way back to the treasure chest it has like 100 gil or a Hi-Potion

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is DOOM the best single player fps on ps4 right now?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

I like Titanfall 2 more but they're both good

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

I hate when you realise you've accidentally gone down the correct path so you have to backtrack

Biggest gently caress you to this was FF12's No ultimate weapon for you if you opened any of these 4 chests gimmick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I was under the impression that it starts out "Who cares about story :cool:" then goes "Anyway here's a bunch of story"

I think that complaint is really overblown. There's one time a character locks you in a room to talk at you, but it only lasts a couple of minutes and never happens again.

Reading the codex entries does slow you down a ton and isn't at all worth it, though. When I watched the NoClip Doom documentary and they were talking about all these funny codex entries, I guess they left out the part where they threw all those away and made them boring instead.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It happens about once a level IIRC. Sometimes in only a few seconds of looking at a locked door while somebody talks on an intercom but it does happen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aww no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5x1yL2kGT0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen it would probably be Prey

but D2016M is really good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

In Training posted:

I like Titanfall 2 more but they're both good

How long is the doom single player campaign cuz I've heard titanfall 2 is really short and it kinda puts me off from getting it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

interezting, zo you are implying zat ze lore iz neither bad nor good until it iz obzerved, nein?

I know I brought up Chrono Cross yesterday, but you forgot to turn off the accent generator.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen it would probably be Prey

but D2016M is really good

i wouldn't lump prey in the generic fps profile because it's less shooter more exploration than what people would expect when just saying "what's a good fps"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no sale until they add in pregnant vore diaper transformation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

How long is the doom single player campaign cuz I've heard titanfall 2 is really short and it kinda puts me off from getting it

Doom is probably like 8 or 9 hours but should be like half that. And Titanfall is probably 5 hours but it has too much talking in some spots. Also the Titanfall 2 multiplayer is a blast

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

Quite long by modern standards, probably over 8 hours.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i put chrono cross on our ps3 because my partner wanted to replay it and now i'm tempted to also since i played it once, to completion, when it came out, and never touched it again, so all i really remember is "weird color coded battle system" and "stupidly huge number of characters with no plot"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It happens about once a level IIRC. Sometimes in only a few seconds of looking at a locked door while somebody talks on an intercom but it does happen

Fair enough--I don't think I even really noticed those. It's probably because I didn't play classic Doom during my formative gaming years so I don't have the same zero-tolerance policy for things that make me stop moving occasionally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the only thing I don't really like about Chrono Cross is the dumb tons of playable characters who have nothing to do with the plot thing. It's like they decided to copy Suikoden but in the most half arsed way possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the only thing I don't really like about Chrono Cross is the dumb tons of playable characters who have nothing to do with the plot thing. It's like they decided to copy Suikoden but in the most half arsed way possible.

Yeah, for sure. They could've cut down the cast by like 75% and I don't think the game would've lost anything. In fact, it probably would've gained something because they might've had the resources to write unique incidental lines for each character instead of just running the same line through an accent filter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

iirc wasn't it also an issue that the ones that looked like they would have a cool story didn't, while the boring stupid ones did have stories. like you get Ziggy Stardust as a party member and he had zero story.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i played chrono cross when it was released as a young impressionable child and one of the few things i can remember about the massive cast of characters is one of them was named grobyc which is cyborg backwards

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like one's Chrono Cross experience is enhanced if you just focus on a handful of characters who are cool/important and don't worry about recruiting the rest. It's one of my favorite PSX JRPGs and even I've never bothered to 100% it. For me that was Glenn, Fargo, Karsh, Norris, and of course Kid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did UbiSoft seriously just announce The Crew 2?

I can't tell what is real anymore.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, for sure. They could've cut down the cast by like 75% and I don't think the game would've lost anything. In fact, it probably would've gained something because they might've had the resources to write unique incidental lines for each character instead of just running the same line through an accent filter.

I enjoy the collection element of it and a lot of the character related sidequests but yeah the accent filter is hilarious. And many of those sidequests could have still been there pretty much unchanged without the character being recruitable tbh.

Cowcaster posted:

i played chrono cross when it was released as a young impressionable child and one of the few things i can remember about the massive cast of characters is one of them was named grobyc which is cyborg backwards

That guy is cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like one's Chrono Cross experience is enhanced if you just focus on a handful of characters who are cool/important and don't worry about recruiting the rest. It's one of my favorite PSX JRPGs and even I've never bothered to 100% it. For me that was Glenn, Fargo, Karsh, Norris, and of course Kid.

I think I actually rolled with pretty much the same characters. Definitely Glenn and Kid in the endgame, especially once Glenn gets two swords and kicks a ton of rear end.

Also I unironically love the way Chrono Cross did its final boss fight, even though what happens afterwards is essentially word salad I still thought it owned really hard. Defeating the final boss by playing a song with your elements was extremely good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Glenn once he got the double swords though... :swoon:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The worst thing is the cute pokemon-lite character is totally bugged out and its evolutions do nothing

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still like that one of the major paths in the story is to neglect the main gimmick of the game and not do anything about Kid being about to die. Had no idea that that existed when I first played it and just assumed the question was a "but thou must" deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I still like that one of the major paths in the story is to neglect the main gimmick of the game and not do anything about Kid being about to die. Had no idea that that existed when I first played it and just assumed the question was a "but thou must" deal.

And if I remember correctly, that's also the only way to recruit Glenn, the strongest party member, and also there's exactly no negative. Kid doesn't even get mad or feel hurt or anything. It's hilarious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

no sale until they add in pregnant vore diaper transformation

You want the Sonic Dreams Collection.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

And if I remember correctly, that's also the only way to recruit Glenn, the strongest party member, and also there's exactly no negative. Kid doesn't even get mad or feel hurt or anything. It's hilarious.

Yeah, you can't recruit 100% of characters in one playthrough. If you don't do it they just say "somebody came from the mainland and gave us the cure".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean they went for Watchdogs 2 after the first one was a trainwreck and that apparently turned out ok

I also didn't know they were releasing a Far Cry 5 'within the next year' and I'm kinda surprised people aren't burned out on that series yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Far Cry 4 came out in 2014 so there's a good two or three years between each one

He starts to type forgetting until just now that Primal happened

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Ubisoft was happy with the first game's sales and player activity. The series fits in well with their transition into service games, such as with For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands. There's room for strong growth if they can deliver a strong sequel and better monetize the playerbase.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The 2rew

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sunning posted:

Ubisoft was happy with the first game's sales and player activity. The series fits in well with their transition into service games, such as with For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands. There's room for strong growth if they can deliver a strong sequel and better monetize the playerbase.

I don't know why your av says Nintendo Guru because you seem to be in the know about everything!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I got up to the Atrium in Prey and now i think it's time to start over because i could have done all that stuff much more awesomely

Or at the very least, spent some on my neuromods better.

It's just too bad i decided to do this while i still have like 6 hours of work in front of me and now i have to wait.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Far Cry 4 came out in 2014 so there's a good two or three years between each one

He starts to type forgetting until just now that Primal happened

Different lead studio, I think? I skipped Primal and think it would have been better if it were closer to Blood Dragon in length. The underlying gameplay just doesn't seem like it could sustain a full-length Far Cry game.

I hope 5 is good, but I also hope it's not modern-day also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

Its 100% going to be the same game

• Locked thread