Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"Did you know you have Rights? The Constitution says you do." is one of my all time favorite lines in Breaking Bad. Odenkirk nails the delivery of a guy who is banging out like a dozen of these commercials in an afternoon.

Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWAsNZTnug

Also, what's great about Bob Loblaw, aside from literally every time his name comes up in the show ('That's a low-blow, Loblaw. It's a Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!') is that Scott Baio, when he was asking Mitch Hurwitz about how to act, was told 'don't emote whatsoever, just literally say the lines as unemotional as possible'. I never really noticed it, but yeah, every single time Bob Loblaw is on screen saying something, there's literally no emotion behind it.

EDIT for mouthful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOtDNXfMyD0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Secret Agent X23 posted:

My take on it: He would rather have made something nicer. But given the time frame he had to work in, he may have realized that the only way to produce something effective would be to go in the opposite direction and just go all-out for tacky.

He also probably knows he's not going to attract the most respectable companies. For next-day, shady ad services, so may as well go all out and get the sleazy clients.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How old are Jimmy and Kim supposed to be?

Rhea Seehorn is 45 and Bob Odenkirk is 54. I could see maybe early 40s for both of them but late 30s seems more reasonable somehow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I certainly get the impression that Jimmy and Kim are late 30s at the oldest, maybe even early-30s.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He also probably knows he's not going to attract the most respectable companies. For next-day, shady ad services, so may as well go all out and get the sleazy clients.

Jimmy knows people love the shuck and jive.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Sagebrush posted:

Rhea Seehorn is 45

I believe this but I also don't.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
I recall doing a bit of poking around on the net after the episode with drifter guy taking advantage of Dad, to identify the date of the Mad Magazine we saw in the store. Turns out it was an issue from 1973. I'm not sure exactly how old Jimmy was supposed to be at that time, but I would guess in the range of ten to twelve, maybe? If you assume that, and if this is 2001, then we get an age of thirty-eight to forty for him at this point.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really like how they use the magenta/green color temperature axis to highlight the fluorescent tube lighting in chuck's scene. Love the photography on these shows

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Karmine posted:

I believe this but I also don't.

It makes more sense once you know she stopped aging when they bottled her.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel like Mark Margolis has been old forever. I mean, this is him back in Oz 2003 (Warning: Spoilers for character's fate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtduRh4b7ho

For anyone who hasn't seen Oz, there's narration during each episode (except for the musical one, I believe). This episode featured Margolis' Italian gangster character Antonio Nappa, doing it. gently caress, he did such a good job in that show. Everyone did. Everyone in Oz went on to either The Wire, Law & Order, or both. It's got weird pacing and filming now, but man, I feel that it ushered in the golden age of tv that we're still in today.

I love Oz :allears:

Mark Margolis has been old since at least 1998 in Pi

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anime was right posted:

what is saul does commercials for los pollos hermanos lol

Or one of Hector's "legitimate businesses?" :aaaaa:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

MasterControl posted:

This is the second Friday night lights joke I've seen in this thread, so thanks for being braver than me to make one.

Ha, that one was probably me too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FogHelmut posted:

Whiskey stops aging once its bottled. It could be a 100 year old bottle of 35 year old scotch.

efb

I mean, it's weird that the bottle says 1966 on it so prominently, right? Like, that's not how scotch is bottled. It literally says "N years old", not the year of bottling.

The writers know scotch well enough to know Macallan and how old is old and expensive. Why would they do this this way?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CaptainCaveman posted:

It makes more sense once you know she stopped aging when they bottled her.

Ha. Nicely done.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

My take on it: He would rather have made something nicer. But given the time frame he had to work in, he may have realized that the only way to produce something effective would be to go in the opposite direction and just go all-out for tacky.

The show never states if she knew about his Saul Goodman alleyway con, but Jimmy of course knows. I got the impression that he was nervous showing Kim more because this is the slippin Jimmy/Saul persona.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Data Graham posted:

I mean, it's weird that the bottle says 1966 on it so prominently, right? Like, that's not how scotch is bottled. It literally says "N years old", not the year of bottling.

The writers know scotch well enough to know Macallan and how old is old and expensive. Why would they do this this way?

Macallan sometimes puts the year on.

e: better picture.

uPen fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 16, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

precision posted:

I certainly get the impression that Jimmy and Kim are late 30s at the oldest, maybe even early-30s.

I'm guessing probably early 30s because Jimmy had come to ABQ/HHM about ten years previously, when Chuck somehow got him out of prison - and with the hilarious backwards hat and whatnot, Jimmy was clearly supposed to be very young in the prison. They just can't afford any of that fancy de-aging CGI so they settle for going the Dexter route.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What the gently caress are you guys smoking if you think they are supposed to be under 45 at the least

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Nude posted:

The show never states if she knew about his Saul Goodman alleyway con, but Jimmy of course knows. I got the impression that he was nervous showing Kim more because this is the slippin Jimmy/Saul persona.

Maybe. There was, of course, Viktor and Giselle, but that's a far more sophisticated version--Slippin Jimmy might not go down so easily with her, if you want to look at it that way.

But I think when you see him at work when he's shooting, it's clear that he relishes playing the role of filmmaker and that he takes pride in producing something he considers good. He's telling Kim it's "not his best work" and talking about the abuse of star wipes, not "this is just a character; it's not really me."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

What the gently caress are you guys smoking if you think they are supposed to be under 45 at the least

You don't have to smoke meth to post here.

BUT IT HELPS! :rimshot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I can't tell if this is another fake post but no way in hell, that would make him mid-50s in Breaking Bad and mean he was working in the mailroom and going to law school in his late 30s. I kind of doubt it. Especially because there's nothing to explain what the hell he did between age 18 and then besides run some grifts with Marco. I kind of doubt he literally did that for 20 years.

I mean the actors are clearly older than who they're supposed to be playing and there's no real way around that considering this show happens ten years before the other one, which aired almost ten years ago.

edit: apparently in the prison flashback, he is actually supposed to be 29 according to something Bob Odenkirk said in an interview. Shows what I know. So I guess that makes him 39 in Better Call Saul.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 16, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I mean the actors are clearly older than who they're supposed to be playing and there's no real way around that considering this show happens ten years before the other one, which aired almost ten years ago.

So it's like the reverse of all those 90s romantic comedies where all the high schoolers were in their mid 20s?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

maskenfreiheit posted:

So it's like the reverse of all those 90s romantic comedies where all the high schoolers were in their mid 20s?

Well, no, it's pretty much the exact same situation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bob OdenKirk was 46 at the beginning of Breaking Bad which took place in 2008. If this show is in 2002 right now, that would make him 40. It's entirely possible that between 1992 and the current time in the show that he works in the mailroom at HHM during his 30s and then passes the bar exam at 39.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sagebrush posted:

Rhea Seehorn is 45
God drat, she looks amazing for 45. I mean that's really not that old, but still.

Sagebrush posted:

Bob Odenkirk is 54
And Odenkirk definitely does not look 54 :stare: What the gently caress

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

At the hearing, Hamlin testifies that he's known Jimmy for "nearly ten years." If Jimmy's in his late thirties at that moment, then late twenties for moving to Albuquerque. Depending on how long it took for the infamous sunroof case to get resolved and then how long after that it took Chuck to get him moved after that, you might knock another year off his age to reach the point at which the incident actually happened. That takes him down to, possibly, twenty-seven at that time, or maybe even twenty-six if you want to stretch it. I don't think that seems unreasonable.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

God drat, she looks amazing for 45. I mean that's really not that old, but still.
And Odenkirk definitely does not look 54 :stare: What the gently caress

Makeup is one hell of a deceiver

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Podcast is out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Those of you who thought Saul and Kim were in their early 30s, how old did you think Chuck was, who's being played by a 69 year old?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

some guy on the bus posted:

Those of you who thought Saul and Kim were in their early 30s, how old did you think Chuck was, who's being played by a 69 year old?

i don't know but nice

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Chuck is supposed to be at least in his 50's, and it's doubtful that he and Jimmy are more than ~10 years apart. Jimmy is early 40's here and late 40's in Breaking Bad.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I know next to nothing about scotch, but somebody who does, what's the approximate value of that bottle? I'm assuming several thousand.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
When will you all learn? Actors are part of a super race who age slower than the rest of us.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Zoben posted:

I know next to nothing about scotch, but somebody who does, what's the approximate value of that bottle? I'm assuming several thousand.

Current price for Macallan 1966 35 year old

£18750.00

source: whiskymarketplace.com

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mark Margolis has been old since at least 1998 in Pi

Dude's been looking the same since Scarface.

I love that that they cast loving Manny from Scarface as Don Eladio, seeing these two guys on screen together was fantastic.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Golli posted:

Current price for Macallan 1966 35 year old

£18750.00

source: whiskymarketplace.com

:monocle:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

vermin posted:

When will you all learn? Actors are part of a super race who age slower than the rest of us.

It comes in a wooden box. That expensive.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I googled it and apparently sensitivity to batteries isn't even a real thing. I bet that Chuck is faking it or just plain crazy.

There are people who claim that they have a sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. No evidence it's anything but psychosomatic though. Even then, I don't think a battery (charged or not) actually generates an EM field on its own. You need current to actually flow through a circuit to do that.

So really Jimmy could have just called a physicist as an expert witness to explain that it's all in Chuck's head because he reacts to things that don't even generate EM fields. That would make for some really boring television though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So no one was expecting last week's breakdown to be a moment of realisation for Chuck and lead him down the path of redemption, were they?

I can totally see Chuck getting the help he needs, owning up to his mistakes and growing as a person acting as a parallel to Jimmy becoming more and more of a sleazy poo poo stain with no one but Huell and Francesca for company.

Jimmy's victory over Chuck will be the moment that saves Chuck and ruins Jimmy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nail Rat posted:

I can't tell if this is another fake post but no way in hell, that would make him mid-50s in Breaking Bad and mean he was working in the mailroom and going to law school in his late 30s. I kind of doubt it. Especially because there's nothing to explain what the hell he did between age 18 and then besides run some grifts with Marco. I kind of doubt he literally did that for 20 years.

edit: apparently in the prison flashback, he is actually supposed to be 29 according to something Bob Odenkirk said in an interview. Shows what I know. So I guess that makes him 39 in Better Call Saul.

I don't know why its so hard to believe that Jimmy was a bit on in years before entering the legal profession. Back in BB he had a line about missing the 80s with regards to money laundering. He was grifter for years and only cleaned up his act after Chuck got more involved. And then subsequently dirtied himself up again.

On another note, goddrat the cinematography in this episode was really good, especially when Chuck was wandering through town. This is one of the best shot TV shows ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

some guy on the bus posted:

I dunno, why is Mike like 70 in BCS and only like 60 in Breaking Bad

• Locked thread