Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was a single kick that caused his knee to blow out. I wouldn't say that's an rear end kicking and just a freak accident like when Silva broke his leg in the rematch. It's a loss sure but it's still a random, unintended injury that stops the fight before either guy is expecting it.

That's why I also mentioned the times Condit got punched really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's why I also mentioned the times Condit got punched really hard.

Except when watching the match on Fight Pass just now, Woodley & Condit are landing hard shots on each other with just their punches.

Edit - Like the entire time they're on the ground after Woodley lands on Condits knee, Condit has guard and is throwing a bunch of punches while Woodley just hugs him and eats them. Woodley has power sure, but he wasn't in a full on "I'm kicking this guys rear end" mode like he was against say Lawler or the times he dropped Thompson in both fights.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 16, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I haven't watched it since the fact but I remember thinking condit was clearly losing and was happy when his knee blew out because I didn't want to see Woodley win unambiguously.

Condit would have won is what I'm saying

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'd ask the grappling thread but they seem pretty goal oriented right now.

Can someone define, "The Funk." I can't, but I think I can. Show me the videos that demonstrate, "The Funk." I want that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

Can someone define, "The Funk." I can't, but I think I can. Show me the videos that demonstrate, "The Funk." I want that.

I am seriously worried about you

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

What's next for Yair? featherweight is loving stacked. Stephens or Jason Knight would be good. Brian Ortega? featherweight is really cool.

poo poo, what the gently caress is T City up to? That dude rules.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

I am seriously worried about you

Don't be or message me. This is a loving website.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

FishBowlRobot posted:

poo poo, what the gently caress is T City up to? That dude rules.

He tore his shoulder badly and is out for the year.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 16, 2017

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I don't think there's a single fight I would actually want to see with Woodley right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Lloyd Boner posted:

I don't think there's a single fight I would actually want to see with Woodley right now.

loving word.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
There's no way Woodley vs. Nick Diaz isn't very special.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lloyd Boner posted:

Uh... Conor vs Woodley.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Those would be in spite of Woodley.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Log posted:

This is a loving website.

I haven't seen any

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gay Horney posted:

What's next for Yair?

Given that he beat up one of those inflated clowns that bounce back up and someone had drawn a BJ Penn face on it and that got him a fight with Frankie Edgar, I think next for him is Aldo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Given that he beat up one of those inflated clowns that bounce back up and someone had drawn a BJ Penn face on it and that got him a fight with Frankie Edgar, I think next for him is Aldo.

Nah he's not gonna get the title shot :smug:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
hopefully neither will edgar .. no offense to him since hes a nice fighter. but he wont win and he already fought him twice

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

hopefully neither will edgar .. no offense to him since hes a nice fighter. but he wont win and he already fought him twice

Frank should go down to bantamweight and bash up Cody. Then have one last crack at Aldo. Then retire because he'll be like 50

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frankie Edgar has nothing for Aldo. The first fight was close but it was definitively Aldo's. The second wasn't close. One punch in a 13 second fight seems to have made people forget that Aldo is a monster.

Edgar at 135 would be interesting though, make it happen.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Based off typical "losers vs losers" matchmaking, I'd be down with any of the following for Yair:

Jeremy Stephens
Mirsad Bektic
Chas Skelly

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I want to see Edgar at 135 just to see what it looks like when he has a size advantage.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I want to see Edgar at 135 just to see what it looks like when he has a size advantage.

More like a size equivalency. He's taller than like, Lineker, Assuncao and Jimmie Rivera, but their reach is about the same. TJ's roughly the same size. Dom is taller, so is Cody, but Cody has stumpier arms.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

Don't be or message me. This is a loving website.

How more people can't have this attitude about the mental health of posters and how serious some posts are is beyond me.

It's a loving comedy forum.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

if one of the expert wrestlers wants to correct me, please do, but basically it's ben askren's style of wrestling. his game is a lot more oriented around inducing scrambles and keeping the match constantly off balance and he calls his style funk wrestling. the funk is just sort of the overall philosophy about how he approaches a match.

this video covers the funk roll, which is one of ben's signature moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1kS8wmP2Y

as you can see, it starts with the beginning of a sprawl, but then rather than following through with just driving the opponent's head down and escaping, the wrestler voluntarily flips onto their back to get control the opponent's leg and sneak through to get behind their opponent, an advantageous position. you're basically doing a riskier move when you don't need to to both keep your opponent off balance and potentially get a big advantage.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it makes no difference to me what goes on in peoples real lives here .. everyone has their struggles, right? .. but if youre going to inflict yourself on a public forum, it seems unreasonable to QQ if you dont get the type of reaction you were hoping for

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

if one of the expert wrestlers wants to correct me, please do, but basically it's ben askren's style of wrestling. his game is a lot more oriented around inducing scrambles and keeping the match constantly off balance and he calls his style funk wrestling. the funk is just sort of the overall philosophy about how he approaches a match.

this video covers the funk roll, which is one of ben's signature moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1kS8wmP2Y

as you can see, it starts with the beginning of a sprawl, but then rather than following through with just driving the opponent's head down and escaping, the wrestler voluntarily flips onto their back to get control the opponent's leg and sneak through to get behind their opponent, an advantageous position. you're basically doing a riskier move when you don't need to to both keep your opponent off balance and potentially get a big advantage.

"every punch starts from the heart, and thats in rhythm or youre in trouble" - sugar ray "killed a guy ftw" robinson. if only he knew that heart arrythmia is a common condition among athletes. but dont let that spoil the catchy quote

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Tony Ferguson and Aljamain Sterling are two other funk wrestlers in mma. El Cucuy especially rolls all the time for no reason and it is cool as gently caress.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

willie_dee posted:

How more people can't have this attitude about the mental health of posters and how serious some posts are is beyond me.

It's a loving comedy forum.

He posts a lot himself about how messed up his health is and whatever, so maybe he shouldn't be constantly bringing it up if he doesn't want comments on it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The short version too is that "funk" in "funk wrestling" is basically "it stinks" - i.e. it's wrestling that isn't pretty, traditional technique, usually more looking like random spastic sprawling, but it works and it's more technical and deliberate than seeming at first glance.

That merkel that the grappling thread got into a month ago is "a funk."

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was a single kick that caused his knee to blow out. I wouldn't say that's an rear end kicking and just a random injury that happened a la Silva breaking his leg in the rematch with Weidman. It's a loss sure, but it's still a random unintended injury that stops the fight mid tempo when neither guy is expecting it to happen.

Edit - Check that, it wasn't a kick. It was after Woodley landed on Condit's need during a scramble and when Condit got back up a light kick caused it to buckle further.

Watch it here if you have Fight Pass

https://www.ufc.tv/video/tyron-woodley-vs-carlos-condit-ufc-171

Its totally normal and not weird, thats why it happens almost never

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is a website. Here's 10 paragraphs about how strict drug testing is a slippery slope to genocide also I have aids

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Skip My Posts posted:

also I have aids

go see a doctor

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Stipe Miocic just got his leg hosed up by two kicks. Larkin kicked Magney once and he was hopping around on one leg. There are tons of other examples of people getting injured by leg kicks. Alejandro Perez hosed up Scott Jorgensen with a few low leg kicks.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 16, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Stipe Miocic just got his leg hosed up by two kicks. Larkin kicked Magney once and he was hopping around on one leg. There are tons of other examples of people getting injured by leg kicks. Alejandro Perez hosed up Scott Jorgensen with a few low leg kicks.

Totally agree leg kicks are an effective attack

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Bundt Cake posted:

I haven't watched fights in years, but if Pat Barry is no longer around to obliterate the legs of tomato cans why the gently caress does the UFC even exist

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ad by Khad posted:

I haven't watched fights in years, but if Pat Barry is no longer around to obliterate the legs of tomato cans why the gently caress does the UFC even exist

Unfortunately, between bottom-tier HWs improving and Pat's chin deteriorating he now goes unconscious before the fat man can't walk anymore

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
here are a lot of gay words about Stipe

I was figuring he deserved to be the favorite in this fight because the first one was super close and Stipe has shown better ability to adjust in the past than JDS has. Each of them got beaten up in the first fight because of a specific bad habit, JDS backing into the cage and Stipe dropping his hands when he punches, and I figured neither would be able to change those habits much. So it was a matter of how they would adjust their game plan. JDS went with the attrition strategy that won the first fight but added leg kicks. That was a really good idea and likely to be successful against Stipe, but Stipe's adjustment was not trying to wrestle after JDS shut down his wrestling the first fight. I dunno whether JDS chin has gotten worse or whether the KO just came from Stipe headhunting more.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

here are a lot of gay words about Stipe

I was figuring he deserved to be the favorite in this fight because the first one was super close and Stipe has shown better ability to adjust in the past than JDS has. Each of them got beaten up in the first fight because of a specific bad habit, JDS backing into the cage and Stipe dropping his hands when he punches, and I figured neither would be able to change those habits much. So it was a matter of how they would adjust their game plan. JDS went with the attrition strategy that won the first fight but added leg kicks. That was a really good idea and likely to be successful against Stipe, but Stipe's adjustment was not trying to wrestle after JDS shut down his wrestling the first fight. I dunno whether JDS chin has gotten worse or whether the KO just came from Stipe headhunting more.

i think having a good chin only counts for so much in a HW fight. they can all knock eachother out easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I.N.R.I posted:

i think having a good chin only counts for so much in a HW fight. they can all knock eachother out easily

agreed, I don't think any HW is immune to getting KO'd if he eats a flush strike. the one thing that makes me think Stipe won't be champ forever is how he keeps his chin up and hands down while striking

• Locked thread