Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Please get the license plate PTLOSER as being self aware is the best way to take it.

I'm gonna put masking tape racing stripes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Use painter's tape for BLUE stripes :getin:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Electrical tape in some angry headlights and strip the paint off of the front fenders

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Chop the springs to slam it on its nuts and camber the wheels out as much as possible with the stock suspension. Stanced pt cruiser.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Has anyone said ute conversion yet?

Ute conversion.

You can even get some structural pipe at the homeless despot along with your various types of styling tape.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

redgubbinz posted:

Has anyone said ute conversion yet?

Ute conversion.

You can even get some structural pipe at the homeless despot along with your various types of styling tape.

They just end up looking slightly less bathtub-like than the convertible, and even less safe.

Anyone need a 1982 TE72 sedan with 3T-C minus the 5 speed? My dad drove 450 miles to drag a stripped one back from LA just to put the 5 speed in his Morris Minor. It was stripped almost a year ago and left in a backyard. It started right up and idled smoother than any Toyota 4 cylinder I'd ever seen. :staredog:

ps: The A/C is all there too

edit: I just have to bolt the driveshaft in and figure out a seat for superleggera* drift action

* no trunk, doors, seats, interior, hood, grille, lights, etc

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 16, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

I mostly want trim rings to avoid the murdered out look, kinda visually break up the mass of black.

My P71 is white, so the black wheels offset that anyway. I just don't like the rings on those particular wheels - I don't feel like it works well with wheels with so little dish.
I found some Mustang 18" wheels I liked on Craigslist, so I'm not running the cop steelies anyway - but the Mustang wheels are all-black, too.

I also replaced the stock "Mustang" center caps with black "Ford" caps. Turns out Ford uses the same size center caps on almost all of its aluminum wheels.

To add a little not-black, I got blue tuner lugs, and the most recent addition are valve caps made from .45 casings. The plastic valve caps fit perfectly inside a .45 shell, and I felt it fit the feel of the car. :)

The .45s replaced some aluminum grenades that used to be black:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Just had a long chat session with an Ebay rep after they sent me a snotty message about not giving people contact info and complaining about "selling outside of ebay". They really don't seem to get that when you're selling poo poo like used engines, people want to come and look at them before buying, and if someone's driven 100+miles to look at something and wants to buy it, you can't really force them to use the buy-it-now option. Apparently you have to make people buy something before giving them an address or phone number, and hey, you can cancel the transaction if they don't want it, and they might remove any resulting bad feedback.

Favourite bit is that they don't want to have any kind of option to allow people to say "yeah, I've sold this" and pay the fees. They literally refuse to let you pay them the money they're upset about not making from fees, while trying to force you to do things in a way that makes it harder to sell stuff and thus generate fees in the first place.

Speaking of Ebay people, FFS, if you buy a set of four alloy wheels with tyres - which have clearly been descibed as being less than brilliant condition and not that great at holding air - for forty quid, don't turn up and act disappointed that they are, in fact, a bit manky, then ask what "best price" is.

Just always put in the eBay ad that the item is for sale locally, and may be ended due to local sale, and then pull it because "the item is no longer available" when you hand it to the buyer. eBay doesn't need to know that you sold it to someone who contacted you via eBay. They got your listing fee. If they won't make accommodations for the situation you described, gently caress them. They need to change to fit how people want to use the service, not the other way 'round.

InitialDave posted:

Conversely, good luck finding performance-oriented tyres in small sizes. 14", 13" other than classic Mini common sizes and so on. 15" still not too bad, helped by a lot of older performance stuff like classic Ford hot hatches, though this used to be your best bang for the buck diameter. 16" hasn't fallen off the radar yet, but it seems 17" is a good price sweet spot for decent tyres nowadays.

*Pours out a 40 1.1L for the dudes running metric wheels*

Yeah, the last good tire to fit the stock first-gen RX-7 wheels (13x6) was the Yokohama AVS Intermediate, which could be had in 205/50-13. that looked mean on those wheels, and was great for stock-class autocrossing.
I stuck a GSL-SE suspension on mine, which gained me a standard PCD (4 x 4.5") so I have a lot more wheel choices available. It currently has 16x7 wheels from my wife's Kia Spectra5 on it (205/50-16).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

From the terrible car thread

Rhyno posted:

I assume that anyone who is driving a PT Cruiser is doing so because they have no other choice.

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

From the terrible car thread

:v:

I still have two other cars and I ain't driven it yet!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Just always put in the eBay ad that the item is for sale locally, and may be ended due to local sale, and then pull it because "the item is no longer available" when you hand it to the buyer. eBay doesn't need to know that you sold it to someone who contacted you via eBay. They got your listing fee. If they won't make accommodations for the situation you described, gently caress them. They need to change to fit how people want to use the service, not the other way 'round.

Unfortunately, you generally get a zero listing fee in the UK, so they are losing out on money, and they can see if you've has someone asking about addresses or phone numbers - I specifically asked about all the listing with contact details in the description, and apparently THAT is a breach of policy too.

But your attitude is the one I took with them, and they're just not bloody interested. All they want to do us threaten people with account suspension for breaching a policy that really doesn't work for certain types of sale.

It's a pretty typical computer-says-no scenario.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

My P71 is white, so the black wheels offset that anyway. I just don't like the rings on those particular wheels - I don't feel like it works well with wheels with so little dish.
I found some Mustang 18" wheels I liked on Craigslist, so I'm not running the cop steelies anyway - but the Mustang wheels are all-black, too.

Cool as poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At one point it was about £5 more expensive to buy a set of 16"s and matching Pirellis than replace the 15" tyres I had on my Volvo.

Currently keeping my eye out for any interesting looking alloys that crop up in 5.5x13 4x98 for cheap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Currently keeping my eye out for any interesting looking alloys that crop up in 5.5x13 4x98 for cheap.
I have a set of original Uno Turbo alloys in my stash. See if you can find some of those, they've got a nice classic sort of "Compomotive TH" look to them.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've found I can usually get a set of 4 OEM BMW wheels with decent brand name tyres (with good tread and recent date codes) for about £150. Much better than whatever ditchfinders you could get for that much.

Unfortunately this means I have 8 wheels for a car I no longer have... I really should get them on eBay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I have a set of original Uno Turbo alloys in my stash. See if you can find some of those, they've got a nice classic sort of "Compomotive TH" look to them.

I know where there's a set but security just got a lot tighter :haw:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

DJ Commie posted:

They just end up looking slightly less bathtub-like than the convertible, and even less safe.

Anyone need a 1982 TE72 sedan with 3T-C minus the 5 speed? My dad drove 450 miles to drag a stripped one back from LA just to put the 5 speed in his Morris Minor. It was stripped almost a year ago and left in a backyard. It started right up and idled smoother than any Toyota 4 cylinder I'd ever seen. :staredog:

ps: The A/C is all there too

edit: I just have to bolt the driveshaft in and figure out a seat for superleggera* drift action

* no trunk, doors, seats, interior, hood, grille, lights, etc

Yes but I'm in the wrong country

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Placebo Affect. It actually might all be in your head.

No offense, but pseudoscientific conspiracy theories about doctors is not helping anyone, and yes, the medical marijuana poo poo is largely a bunch of pseudoscience. Its only real proven effect is the ability to aleviate naseau for chemo patients. But it doesn't have good credibility at all yet, partially because study of it is largely restricted in the US, but also because its just a bunch of legalization groups (which I support) spreading nonsense articles about 'OMG It cures Cancer, It Cures Crohns, IT CURES EVERYTHING!' and keep shooting the legalization movement in the foot with New Age woo.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy into that.

Diet and exercise DOES affect outcomes or even when disease starts... or IF it even starts in the first place. This is straight out science that over and over again shows that diet and exercise most certainly does help and can even be a complete fix to symptoms. And drug treatments often (rarely admittedly) just flat out dont work on the other hand, depending not just on the issue but on the basic gut makeup geneitcally and bacteria present let alone the other huge range of variables.

So do not dismiss diet changes as a placebo. It's plainly not according to the science. You milage may vary tho as again, everyone is different and the only two rules of diet that are pretty much true for anyone is that simple sugars in excess are really bad and you will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

the only two rules of diet that are pretty much true for anyone is that simple sugars in excess are really bad and you will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.

"...but I'm just big boned"

A friend of mine was a larger lady, claimed she couldn't lose weight for poo poo. She then began to suffer from issues related to her weight and was told by the hospital that they can operate but only when she's a healthier weight as it's too dangerous to do so at the moment. That was a few months back and she's dropped 6 stone/84lb already simply by not eating poo poo. Still has another 2 stone/28lb to go to hit her target weight but she's really not struggled with it and now she says she feels fantastic and quite clearly looks a load healthier.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's those clever new bone reducing medicines big pharma have been keeping secret, obviously.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"...but I'm just big boned"

A friend of mine was a larger lady, claimed she couldn't lose weight for poo poo. She then began to suffer from issues related to her weight and was told by the hospital that they can operate but only when she's a healthier weight as it's too dangerous to do so at the moment. That was a few months back and she's dropped 6 stone/84lb already simply by not eating poo poo. Still has another 2 stone/28lb to go to hit her target weight but she's really not struggled with it and now she says she feels fantastic and quite clearly looks a load healthier.

One of my missus' friends is like this complains that she can't lose weight no matter what she tries but literally eats nothing but pizza, burgers, and macaroni cheese

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A bit late but,

bolind posted:

And Dubai is basically the answer to the question: "What do I do with a strip of desert and more billions than I know what to do with?"

I've only been in the airport and that was more or less the impression I got too. They have a gold bullion shop in the duty free shopping areas, you know, in case you forget to pack some. :psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

One of my missus' friends is like this complains that she can't lose weight no matter what she tries but literally eats nothing but pizza, burgers, and macaroni cheese

"HOW AM I PUTTING ON WEIGHT?!"

It's very hard to bite your tongue on such matters and I struggle not to be a complete oval office.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"HOW AM I PUTTING ON WEIGHT?!"

It's very hard to bite your tongue on such matters and I struggle not to be a complete oval office.

I have to hold my tongue as she's my gfs friend so she gets to make the call but we're in another similar situation with this same friend in that she just got engaged and everyone dislikes the fiancé and thinks he's a mega creep (he is) but he seems to make her happy for the time being so what can you do? 🤔

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mash the left button. All the time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I have to hold my tongue as she's my gfs friend so she gets to make the call but we're in another similar situation with this same friend in that she just got engaged and everyone dislikes the fiancé and thinks he's a mega creep (he is) but he seems to make her happy for the time being so what can you do? 🤔

That sounds familiar. I was introduced to a bloke years back and he was ok I guess, a bit full of himself but fine in short doses. He acquires a girlfriend who is just adorable and cool and everyone loves her to bits. He loses his mind a little and gets deep into conspiracy theories and spends far too much time on sites like tumblr and becomes the most obnoxious dipshit ever thinking he's better than everyone. All of my friends try to avoid talking to him as much as possible but have all the time in the world for her and we're all very confused about what she sees in him.

...and this was before he decided he liked to dress up in women's clothing, spend all the rent money on make up and get himself sacked from his job for being a twat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Diet and exercise DOES affect outcomes or even when disease starts... or IF it even starts in the first place. This is straight out science that over and over again shows that diet and exercise most certainly does help and can even be a complete fix to symptoms. And drug treatments often (rarely admittedly) just flat out dont work on the other hand, depending not just on the issue but on the basic gut makeup geneitcally and bacteria present let alone the other huge range of variables.

So do not dismiss diet changes as a placebo. It's plainly not according to the science. You milage may vary tho as again, everyone is different and the only two rules of diet that are pretty much true for anyone is that simple sugars in excess are really bad and you will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.

Not according to the IBD and Chron's disease research group. See my quote from their page. Its largely independant of diet usually.

And no, while health and diet does influence health (I never denied that), you can still have and suffer from the above.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Doctor says my knee is good to go and my rotator cuff is fine so back to the gym I go. I've been prescribed "gettin beefy" as a way to keep my joints from being ~20 years older than me which makes sense, I suppose. I mean, it's not like the body has a finite amount of energy or anything

:buddy:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That sounds familiar. I was introduced to a bloke years back and he was ok I guess, a bit full of himself but fine in short doses. He acquires a girlfriend who is just adorable and cool and everyone loves her to bits. He loses his mind a little and gets deep into conspiracy theories and spends far too much time on sites like tumblr and becomes the most obnoxious dipshit ever thinking he's better than everyone. All of my friends try to avoid talking to him as much as possible but have all the time in the world for her and we're all very confused about what she sees in him.

...and this was before he decided he liked to dress up in women's clothing, spend all the rent money on make up and get himself sacked from his job for being a twat.

lol drat I hope our situation develops as interestingly as yours did

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If u have a problem with me tell me to my face, bitch!!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Update on my hail damage from earlier in the thread. Insurance paid me out $2900. They found damage I couldn't see, and I completely missed that one of my taillights got cracked. That pissed me off because I was just at the pick and pull and passed on two compatible taillights that may or may not be there when I go back.

It was kind of overkill really, they even allowed for windshield removal. Now for the quotes. That or I truly try my hand at PDR. I want to but I'm scared!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

That or I truly try my hand at PDR. I want to but I'm scared!

Get a door from a scrap yard and try first. PDR is tough to DIY learn. I have a nice and full set of PDR tools (about 70 pounds in a full gun case). I've read about theory, I've watched PDR people do the job. I've watched PDR people on youtube. I am fairly comfortable with the theory. But in practice... it takes a super-fine-tuned feel that is tough to pick up.

I've taken dings from noticeable to barely noticeable, and I've also made some more noticeable because I ended up with a bunch of high spots making the area a bit hilly. From what I've read, this is normal in the learning process, but certainly discouraging.

That's not to say "don't try it," but try it on something you don't care about. I'm slowly working on my Avalon which I give no shits about... so it's an ideal candidate.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fitnesschat:

Bike people - I need to pick your brains. I have an old, old Trek 4300 (circa 1998/1999). Chain's shot, half the gears are missing teeth, brakes are shot, tires are...old and creaky. I put a LOT of miles on the old girl, and she got me fit once before (and then I graduated uni started working in a pizza joint and now I R balloon man again).

So - do I repair her up? Aluminum frame, fairly heavy duty, lots of miles. Or do I get something new.

And if I go new, I'd mostly be riding a mix of pavement/gravel - rough roads, but not much offroad. If I want to get back into that, I'd keep my Trek and fix her up again in a few years. I'd like to stick within a moderate budget, but hell, throw me some options/recommend me some websites that have decent reviews/etc. Its summer, its nice out, and my fat rear end needs to un-fat a bit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's your budget?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Siochain posted:

Fitnesschat:

Bike people - I need to pick your brains. I have an old, old Trek 4300 (circa 1998/1999). Chain's shot, half the gears are missing teeth, brakes are shot, tires are...old and creaky. I put a LOT of miles on the old girl, and she got me fit once before (and then I graduated uni started working in a pizza joint and now I R balloon man again).

So - do I repair her up? Aluminum frame, fairly heavy duty, lots of miles. Or do I get something new.

And if I go new, I'd mostly be riding a mix of pavement/gravel - rough roads, but not much offroad. If I want to get back into that, I'd keep my Trek and fix her up again in a few years. I'd like to stick within a moderate budget, but hell, throw me some options/recommend me some websites that have decent reviews/etc. Its summer, its nice out, and my fat rear end needs to un-fat a bit.

Fixing up bikes is fun, inexpensive, and really those are the only reasons you need to fix up a bike. You can put whatever kinda tires (within reason) to handle the gravel and rough roads.

https://www.bikesdirect.com has good, inexpensive bicycles. Otherwise I love my Jamis roadbike. Light as heck and very durable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yep, budget and purpose is important.

A $100 fix-up of your bike (chain tires, rear cassette) would make it ride-able and as good as it was before, but...

Newer bikes will have significant improvements, if your budget is $700-1200+.

You have to know some things about the different generations of (primarily) Shimano hardware and know what you're looking at. 9 speed is old. 10 speed is old, but still viable. 11 speed is new within the past 3 years. 10 speed bikes are the sweet spot for price/performance on the used market. Easy to find a sub-$1000 bike that will give you 85% of the performance of a brand new bike.

Basically -- what's your budget, and what's your comfort level with tinkering? There are a surprising number of tools to fully tear down/rebuild a bike, but $40 will get you to the "can do almost anything" threshold.

Rough roads / gravel speak to a cyclocross bike. They are amazingly capable, and very comfortable. My cross bike is within 1mph of my full-on road bike over 20 mile trips, but it's like riding a couch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Siochain posted:

Fitnesschat:

Depends on what you want to spend and how much work you want to do on it. You could throw new parts at it but it's probably easier and better to get something new unless you're really strapped.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You could update/replace the drivetrain or browse for a new used bike. Depends on the budget. Your height and a link to a local craigslist would let us and/or the bike thread find you some options.

Chain, cassette, chainrings, brake pads, cables/housing, tires are going to be a pretty big chunk, especially if you just drop it off at a shop for all the work. If you shop around online for parts and do some things yourself it would save you some money. There are always decent tires on clearance somewhere and installing a cassette and chainrings is pretty easy. Then bring it to a shop for new cables and adjustment.

I just updated my drivetrain to 1x11 for about $250. I feel like that was a pretty good deal but I guess you can buy a whole decent used bike for that much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Not according to the IBD and Chron's disease research group. See my quote from their page. Its largely independant of diet usually.

And no, while health and diet does influence health (I never denied that), you can still have and suffer from the above.

Nothing can cure IBD and Crohns, and no, diet cannot control the inflammation. As you will find out living with this disease, it's all about controlling the SYMPTOMS, the foods you eat can determine how bad symptoms are. Changing your diet will help, or taking meds can accomplish that as well. Or both, it's up to the individual to figure out what works for them. For me the side effects from the meds are not worth it, and they don't always work. I took steroids for almost two years and all it did was gently caress up my joints (which are still hosed up) and give me man boobs (went away thank god). When the doc wanted to put me on Humira I said gently caress that.

From the article you quoted:

quote:

certain foods may aggravate symptoms of these diseases. Decreasing poorly digestible carbohydrates may decrease symptoms of gas, bloat, cramps, and diarrhea in patients with IBD

This is what I was trying to point out. Nothing is going to cure it or stop the inflammation, you can only hope to contain the symptoms for a better quality of life, and figuring out the correct diet that works for you will help immensely. I'm trying to help you dude because I've dealt with this for years and have been on the same emotional roller coaster you're about to get on. Marijuana helps. It's not a cure but it helps, and experimenting with your diet does no harm whatsoever. Gluten free for two weeks will do absolutely no harm and it just might help, if it doesn't you can go right back to eating all the gluten you want it's just a harmless experiment to see how your symptoms react to it. Worked for me and I'm grateful I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is what I was trying to point out. Nothing is going to cure it or stop the inflammation, you can only hope to contain the symptoms for a better quality of life, and figuring out the correct diet that works for you will help immensely. I'm trying to help you dude because I've dealt with this for years and have been on the same emotional roller coaster you're about to get on. Marijuana helps. It's not a cure but it helps, and experimenting with your diet does no harm whatsoever. Gluten free for two weeks will do absolutely no harm and it just might help, if it doesn't you can go right back to eating all the gluten you want it's just a harmless experiment to see how your symptoms react to it. Worked for me and I'm grateful I tried it.

I can't smoke Marijuana due to the security clearances I have to hold and the jobs I do, and frankly I don't really want to smoke anyways. I'm still extremely skeptical about the claims about gluten, and there's not enough evidence to say for certain that gluten-free has any actual benefits other than being a fad diet like Paleo.

• Locked thread