Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just remember, she "doesn't care about the ring, you're the one she loves" exactly as much as "you don't care how big her boobs are, she's the one you love" for any given relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

powerful sex moves posted:

How 'bout don't marry the kind of woman who demands an expensive ring?

Solved it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
don't marry women who want things, power move :smug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
y'gotta... y'gotta find a woman with, like, noooooooooooooooooooooo expectations

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
don't marry women, trump card

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

Shouldn't have wanted Hugh's love and approval, it seems.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

It's just a prank, bruh!
My BIL [27M] played a horrible prank on my husband [31M] who spent the night in jail
I don't really get what happened. So timeline is wife and husband walk back to their hotel and go to bed, then sometime 3 hours later BIL burst into their room and somehow convinces the still drunk husband that the wife presumably right next to him is missing? And she didn't hear anything?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Pick posted:

Expensive jewelry is stupid. Sorry.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"don't tell me what I should do with my ring" ~ goatman

This works on at least three levels. Go on. Think about the goatman.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

powerful sex moves posted:

Expensive jewelry is stupid. Sorry.

I actually agree and I don't like to wear jewelry, but it's pretty grog to act deliberately obtuse about material symbols of status.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

grog?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really get what happened. So timeline is wife and husband walk back to their hotel and go to bed, then sometime 3 hours later BIL burst into their room and somehow convinces the still drunk husband that the wife presumably right next to him is missing? And she didn't hear anything?

They had a hotel, but husband and his brother got way too drunk so the wife left to go sleep at home instead of staying with them

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Look at this fuckin dork

I [19M] still feel really scared around my girlfriend

quote:

I guess I'm pretty shy and don't have good self-esteem. This is my first girlfriend and she asked me out and kissed me and held my hand. I like her a lot, but she makes me so nervous. Like when she calls, sometimes I feel scared to talk to her. And when we go out on dates she always puts on makeup and wears nice clothes and she looks so pretty that I'm scared to look at her. And she sometimes asks me to help her with her homework and sometimes she wraps her arms around my stomach and hugs me while I'm helping her and it always makes me feel so scared, especially when she says things like I'm her hero or that I'm smart. I don't know what to do. I've been dating her for 5 months, but she still makes me so scared. And there are times I really want her to hold my hand or give me kisses, but I feel too scared to ask. It's hard for me to not think of her as god. I was always too scared to really talk to girls, but she got me to talk and she asked me out and held me and kissed me and everything. I even gave my virginity to her. I just feel so stupid for being scared around her. How can I not be scared around her?

tl;dr: i don't know what to do

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I Was The Fury posted:

Look at this fuckin dork

There's nothing you can do. You are a lifetime weenie and you will blow it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Runawaytrampgutterslutsmingle.com :mmmsmug:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
hahaa yikes.

one time I was so nervous on a date in the 9th grade that when we were making out in his car i kept rubbing his back up and down too hard until he had to politely ask me to stop.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I Was The Fury posted:

Look at this fuckin dork

19 years old, rip

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Makes u thnik

My boyfriend wants to start wearing a tinfoil hat...

quote:

I'm a 20 year old female. My 24 year old boyfriend of 2 years has an engineering degree and is relatively logical. Recently, however, he has been talking about faraday's cage and wanting to wear a tinfoil hat. He got some tinfoil and made a hat out of it, and I jokingly snatched it off, thinking he was just kidding. He wasn't.

Should I try to understand his point of view, or is this a sign of something worse?

Tl;dr: boyfriend wants to wear a tinfoil hat. Is he crazy?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I Was The Fury posted:

Look at this fuckin dork

Your loving it up and everybody knows it. All the other men in the world smell your weakness and chum in the waters. She is literally only continuing to date you to find another, better man and all the women in the world nod in silent agreement because you are blowing it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Just remember, she "doesn't care about the ring, you're the one she loves" exactly as much as "you don't care how big her boobs are, she's the one you love" for any given relationship.

So the most important thing is that her stone needs to be bigger than mine? Got it.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

I Was The Fury posted:

Look at this fuckin dork

Awn, it's young BubblyBlubber. Don't worry buddy, you'll meet waaaaaaay scarier women in the coming years. Upside is you like angry ladies, downside is you might get stabbed.

My roommate [27M] has been secretly meeting with his ex [25F], who stabbed him a few months ago. Non-Romantic

quote:

21 points 11 comments submitted 1 month ago by Waterparkthrowaway to r/relationships

Long story short, my roommate was stabbed by his ex girlfriend back in August of 2016, shortly after they broke up. Let's call him Larry and her Lisa. Larry has been my friend for around 5 years, and up until sometime last year I would have called him a level-headed and intelligent guy.

The situation regarding the stabbing does not reflect well on either party, but in short, Larry was engaged in fisticuffs with Lisa's new boyfriend, and she went to her car, got a knife, and stabbed Larry to break up the fight. She avoided jail time; no charges were filed against Larry.

Larry found it hard to avoid contacting Lisa, even when she had a restraining order placed on her. She would send him messages which I daily reminded him to ignore.

After a while, Larry would disappear at nights and be evasive about where he was going. My wife and I teased him that he had "gently caress appointments" with some new girl but we didn't wish to invade his privacy, and as far as we knew, Lisa was completely out of the picture at this point. I had known that he was interested in a few other girls so I assumed it was over with.

But just tonight, my wife and her dad went out to eat at a restaurant because some friend of her dad's was having a retirement party or some such. The restaurant is the one where Lisa works. My wife mused that it might be weird if they saw her.

Well, they saw her alright. They saw her holding hands with Larry. The person she stabbed twice, and hospitalized.

Larry always felt responsible for her in a lot of ways; felt like she didn't have a good circle of friends to support her through her issues. So it was hard for him to break all contact; he worried about her.

I don't know what to do now. Larry moved in with me and my wife last year when he got evicted from his apartment and crashed his car in the same week. He now pays a modest rent to us and is working towards living by himself again (theoretically--I don't think he is really putting that much money away, but that's not important right now). The point is, he's hanging out, seemingly in a relationship again, with his abuser. Someone who came close to ending his life. The stab wounds were pretty bad--he lost a lot of blood and one of them was very close to puncturing a lung.

I am worried about his long term safety--Lisa is not the most stable of people, and Larry is caught in her bullshit, feeling responsible for her like some kind of rudder. Larry's making bad decisions here, but I don't know what to do.

Larry's been lying to me, at the very least by omission but I'd bet there were a few times I'd asked him if Lisa had contacted him and he'd had to have lied there. Frankly I'd like to kick him out of my house, but I worry that he would be even more vulnerable to Lisa, in a literal sense because she's highly unlikely to ever come to my house, and in a figurative sense because he would lose the stabilizing force my wife and I have on his life. I'm pissed that he has lied.

Then there's the legal ramifications. I don't know if he can get in any trouble for being near her, but I'm almost certain she could. Part of me wants to tell the police and have her taken to jail again (or whatever would happen).

Finally, how should I handle this with Larry? Should I confront him when he comes home tonight? Should I round up a bunch of friends and do an "intervention" thing? Should I kick him out?
I'm really confused about what to do. I feel like if it were a female friend who was seeing a male ex who had stabbed her, that there wouldn't even be a question and that I should just pull the trigger and call the police immediately. My friend's life could be in danger. But that could very well ruin my friendship. Thoughts?

TL;DR: My friend and roommate has been secretly and romantically meeting with his ex, who stabbed him. I don't know whether to call the cops, kick him out, or stage an intervention.

Ahh, young love

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Men who don't make their own rings are fuckin. . . There are no words. No. Words. "Untermensch" doesn't even come close. Get the hell ooooofffffff my planet if you don't have the scrotal fortitude to gently caress raw ore out of a mineshaft you hosed into a mountain. My many wives all wear rings made of silver and willow-wood I harvested from Rivendell, by loving a tree.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Your loving it up and everybody knows it. All the other men in the world smell your weakness and chum in the waters. She is literally only continuing to date you to find another, better man and all the women in the world nod in silent agreement because you are blowing it.

So true. Everyone knows and is talking about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

My roommate [27M] has been secretly meeting with his ex [25F], who stabbed him a few months ago. Non-Romantic

Ahh, young love

Hold up, youre married but dont live with your wife and instead live with an unstable roomate?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Barudak posted:

she's only with him until she can berth ell pup in front of him

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

3 months' salary, supposedly.

I fail to see how spending five figures on a rock instead of say, putting it into my 403b so we can retire super early makes me a terrible person. Guess I've got the burgers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Hold up, youre married but dont live with your wife and instead live with an unstable roomate?

Nah, the wife lives with him too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
29F/45M, first line:
So me and my husband have been married about a year, we got married kind of fast around a month after meeting. At first he was great, he would say things kinda racist, but I thought it was cute at first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

I fail to see how spending five figures on a rock instead of say, putting it into my 403b so we can retire super early makes me a terrible person. Guess I've got the burgers.

If you view marriage as a business, with only a small initial investment you can add a literal lifetime of earning potential and assets to your name.

The problem is the woman in question has a negative income flow, debt, and no assets so the proper ring for her is a piece of paper and a pen to file for bankruptcy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

You know what happens when you desTROY? a VALUABLE and SENTIMENTAL POSTER?
*crowds gettin worked up, im holdin my pen at the ready, kids r shaking their heads and beggin me*
YOU JUST MADE THE LIST
*huge pop, kids look on in horror as i add these stupid idiots to the List*

I appreciated this post but sadly will now have to hit you with the pop up powerbomb

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

So the most important thing is that her stone needs to be bigger than mine? Got it.

it's true i saw it in a documentary about penguins, and as the nietzsche i read because i am very smart showed, people are animals

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

joking aside, I agree with you, although then what you do is you play for class and get a simple gold band for both so you can disguise it as a statement of integrity instead of being a cheapass

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

29F/45M, first line:
So me and my husband have been married about a year, we got married kind of fast around a month after meeting. At first he was great, he would say things kinda racist, but I thought it was cute at first.

Im trying to guess the cute racism but literally the best I can do is a heart wrenching rendition of Moon River but retitled "Moon Cricket" and Im pretty sure thats not it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Men who don't make their own rings are fuckin. . . There are no words. No. Words. "Untermensch" doesn't even come close. Get the hell ooooofffffff my planet if you don't have the scrotal fortitude to gently caress raw ore out of a mineshaft you hosed into a mountain. My many wives all wear rings made of silver and willow-wood I harvested from Rivendell, by loving a tree.

My friend's wife learned 2 metalwork and made his wedding ring.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Fullhouse posted:

They had a hotel, but husband and his brother got way too drunk so the wife left to go sleep at home instead of staying with them

She says they went to the hotel together and that the BIL burst into the hotel room at 1 am screaming, husband also apparently had cops called on him in the hotel.

I just wanna know where the wife was for all of this, doesn't make any sense.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

joking aside, I agree with you, although then what you do is you play for class and get a simple gold band for both so you can disguise it as a statement of integrity instead of being a cheapass

Oh, I would definitely get a ring. Maybe go with birthstones, maybe a band. I'd probably do a crazy thing and chat with her about what she'd like rather than guess and end up in some Larry David style snafu

But yeah, I've never met a couple who skipped both the wedding and didn't get rings where it didn't end in divorce or angrily waiting for the kids to go to college. so they can divorce

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
My (24M) Tenant Matt (26M) has pushed me to the limits of friendship after I caught him 'sniffing' (?) Me.

quote:

Throwaway because although I've never seen him use Reddit, I am scared.

Ok so for the last two years I've had this friend, Matt isn't a genius but what he lacks in brains he compensates for athleticism. Because of his situation, he aspires for some sort of career, in football or 'athletics' if you can even make much money there. So at present he lives rent free with me, as a result he pays me by keeping me fit, motivating and encouraging me to go on jogs and sprints (I promise you this is important.) I feel like he thinks that our relationship is fine even though it wasn't then but now..is far from it. We would usually go jogging to look for ladies, and while Matt would consistently "pull the bitches" I was left standing there awkwardly, never introduced.

But this isn't why I'm asking for help, I need help because the other day after a sprinting session, I was in my room undressing when I noticed Matt watching me from the stairs, up into my room. I asked what in the gently caress he was doing but he only snapped out of his daze and went back downstairs leaving me in total confusion. Dinner was silent, it usually is because I hate talking with food in my mouth but now it felt uncomfortable so I didn't mention anything, Matt went to bed without saying anything and I thought that was that.

That was until today, I was standing on the kitchen table replacing a blown bulb when I Heard Matt enter the room, I said hey to clear the air and everything felt normal, I thought I heard him leave the room, that was until I looked down and saw him sniff my rear end...like actually inhale not just breathe almost touching my butt. Now I loudly said "ARE YOU RIGHT?" Which makes him fall of the chair and quickly leave the room.

So now its about 9PM and I simply don't know what to do? Since he smelled me at about 6PM he has been in his room. I tried knocking and asking if he wanted dinner but he won't reply, nor will he come out. Should I try to confront him in the morning or just hope it never happens again? He's pretty shy besides his charisma around females so I know this would cause a huge rift in our relationship.

tl;dr Mate living with me sniffed my butt, don't know what I should do, feel like I'm in some weird prank show.

Potato Swift
Oct 27, 2012

i fought the saw and the saw won

new phone who dis posted:

Two Tone Malone LMFAO.

It's like an oldtimey boxer name. Can't wait to see Two Tone Malone up against Dempsey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Oh, I would definitely get a ring. Maybe go with birthstones, maybe a band. I'd probably do a crazy thing and chat with her about it.

nah you don't do birthstones, that's obvs cheaping out. you pretend you're "above" it. it's all in the branding, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Matt is living rent free to make you exercise while getting chicks you cant pull with you as his wingman and he isnt a genius? Get this guy VC money to buttsniff people to determine their health and call it Dogtr.