Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Need dat tactical facehugger harness to hold a few of them. Could comically throw them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really clear. In the original Alien it kidnaps Brett and Dallas but then it pretty blatantly murders Parker and does whatever the gently caress it does to Lambert. The Aliens in Aliens kidnap everyone they can and the only person they kill onscreen intentionally is the airship pilot. (Which can be written off as trying to prevent the escape of the others.)

So basically they do whatever the gently caress they want, they aliens man.

In the presence of a viable queen, capture as many individuals as possible for breeding: increased attrition from not just going kill-crazy and finishing people off as efficiently as possible will be more than made up for by the resulting greater numbers of impregnations.

In the absence of a viable queen, capture two people; one to eggmorph into a queen egg and the other to impregnate. Increase aggression towards others until the above becomes a viable strategy so as to maximise the odds of the queen surviving and the drone being able to secure hosts.

Notice how the above is pure conjecture but flows logically from a well-thought-out and elegantly-presented life cycle that doesn't have 200 layers of 'this goo does whatever it needs to for plot purposes' crap like "Feed someone a black goo that you don't know what it does and then if they by chance have sex with a person they'll make them pregnant with a facehugger that grows inside a human host instead of in an egg for some reason, and then when the facehugger eventually (barring an abortion) chestbursts out of that person it will facehug another person and implant a different type of embryo in that person which makes a different kind of chestburster."

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I am loathe to think of what sort of twisted poo poo David can get up to with 1000 human embryos, a bunch of Black goo, and nothing but time on his hands.

He creates a race of white-skinned, green-blooded, technology using ritualistic hunters thereby allowing Ridley Scott to George Lucus up the legacy of two franchises for the price of one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This speaks for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfo0a4Sj6A

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Now I want a Kenny vs Spenny style AvP show.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe a neomorph and an engineer can do promo spots for Covenant home video release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien wanted Alien, and the Predator wanted AvP, so they ended up putting in the AvP disc and watched AvP-R with an AvP soundtrack.

I don't know why that bothered me so much.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I rewatched AVP-R, great movie. All they gotta do now is make it future time AVP with space marines, I wouldn't even care if Ridley had full control of it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Healthy reminder of how much Roger Ebert loving loved Prometheus: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/prometheus-2012

I wonder how he'd feel about this film if he was still around. I'd imagine not good considering how much he criticised Resurrection for being an unimaginative rehash; he would probably be disappointed this movie is Alien sequel and not a real 'Prometheus 2'.

edit;

Tenzarin posted:

I rewatched AVP-R, great movie. All they gotta do now is make it future time AVP with space marines, I wouldn't even care if Ridley had full control of it.

Prometheus honestly was a better, more interesting remake of AvP with the Engineers taking the place of Predators.

Whereas, despite in a literal narrative sense Covenant being before Prometheus but before Alien, what it really feels most like is 'Ridley Scott's Alien 2'.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 16, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel like it's a big mistake to release Cov so late in the US. Pretty much all the news outlets and YouTube channels are already in deep discussion of spoilers. A yuge portion of the US audience is going to go into it spoiled.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah but who goes to a Ridley Scott movie for the plot? His greatest movie he admitted nothing happened for the first 45 min and that was the better half.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Shaocaholica posted:

I feel like it's a big mistake to release Cov so late in the US. Pretty much all the news outlets and YouTube channels are already in deep discussion of spoilers. A yuge portion of the US audience is going to go into it spoiled.

They could just exercise self control and not watch those spoilers

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

They could just exercise self control and not watch those spoilers

If only it were so easy. I've already been spoiled by one liner article and video titles that show up in feeds. And also comments sections of totally unrelated things.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

If only it were so easy. I've already been spoiled by one liner article and video titles that show up in feeds. And also comments sections of totally unrelated things.

Yeah it was near impossible to avoid spoilers so if I hate it ill just blame SA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Despera posted:

Yeah but who goes to a Ridley Scott movie for the plot? His greatest movie he admitted nothing happened for the first 45 min and that was the better half.

I want to experience the visuals, fresh. And some people have already gotten ahold of them.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I saw Alien: Covenant and I thought it was pretty darn good

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Someone is asking the important questions

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/who-should-the-aliens-fight-next/

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Caught a late night screening of Covenant yesterday.

Its alright. Its well made, well acted, its tense, its gorgeous to look at, it has an awesome soundtrack and the whole thing just works really well.

But I'm still disappointed because I was hoping that they would continue down the path that Prometheus had set, rather than doting on fans who moaned that extensively about that movie.

I dunno. Its a good movie, it just doesn't seem like a particularly interesting one.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This film was pretty much like like Prometheus for me, but I think slightly worse in the end. Random bullet points.

- Same thing about going to an Alien planet and not really being cautious about anything. One of many examples, lady has a cut arm and is washing it in some random water in a spooky alien necropolis.
- 'Here, I am creepy as gently caress come look into my alien eggs. That's it, get close'.
- Flute blowjobs.
- Can't remember anyone's name at all apart from Fassbender's guys.
- White, standing alien was awesome.
- Lady was badass going up on spaceship roof to face alien alone.
- Back/chestbursting was gross and cool.
- Big design flaw in sleep pod that burns occupant alive.
- Another mention of weird flute scene.

A question I have as I am confused about the whole thing.

So, the Engineers use the black goo (what is that poo poo) to create humans but then want to destroy earth. Prometheus ends up there and stops them. David turns it into a weapon and kills them all on their planet (why?) and then engineers it so that he can make Xenomorphs which he then wants to propagate?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's probably about time we come to terms with Alien being a horror series in space, and not a space series with some horrors. The characters are camp councillors that exist to make bad decisions and die. It annoyed me in Prometheus, but in hindsight, all the movies except Aliens are this way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's pretty funny that David discovers a planet full of intelligent life, an entirely new culture and (I believe) one of the only non-human races in the universe (please don't start arguing about Arcturians) and he bio-nukes it instantly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

well why not posted:

It's pretty funny that David discovers a planet full of intelligent life, an entirely new culture and (I believe) one of the only non-human races in the universe (please don't start arguing about Arcturians) and he bio-nukes it instantly.
But their DNA was 100% human! :v:

Indra
Nov 25, 2005
Where are my pants?
One thing that keeps popping into my mind is Alien vision when aboard the ship at the end. It just felt a little tacked on, not to mention the CGI was awful. I think i prefer the style used in Alien 3

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

henpod posted:

This film was pretty much like like Prometheus for me, but I think slightly worse in the end. Random bullet points.

- Same thing about going to an Alien planet and not really being cautious about anything. One of many examples, lady has a cut arm and is washing it in some random water in a spooky alien necropolis.
- 'Here, I am creepy as gently caress come look into my alien eggs. That's it, get close'.
- Flute blowjobs.
- Can't remember anyone's name at all apart from Fassbender's guys.
- White, standing alien was awesome.
- Lady was badass going up on spaceship roof to face alien alone.
- Back/chestbursting was gross and cool.
- Big design flaw in sleep pod that burns occupant alive.
- Another mention of weird flute scene.

A question I have as I am confused about the whole thing.

So, the Engineers use the black goo (what is that poo poo) to create humans but then want to destroy earth. Prometheus ends up there and stops them. David turns it into a weapon and kills them all on their planet (why?) and then engineers it so that he can make Xenomorphs which he then wants to propagate?

Because they are specifically his creations. Following on from his conversation with Holloway.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Alien: Covenant is a loving dire piece of film-making. It's a refreshing piece of thought-provoking science fiction for anyone who hasn't read, engaged with, or even paid the bare minimum of attention to any single piece of sci-fi in the last fifteen years. I'd call it paint-by-numbers if that wasn't an affront to the intellectual rigour of a childrens' colouring book. Note that, for reference, I went into this blind, without any foreknowledge of the special internet shorts, or Audi ads, or the million other pieces of co-branded collateral that I've since found out exist by reading the thread post-viewing.

Everything about this film is lazy and trite. All of the plot points are orchestrated so far in advance that you had a read on how this film was going to go down, plot point by plot point, at the fifteen minute mark. What wasn't appreciated was the bait-and-switch tactics around this being a direct sequel to Prometheus – also, again, maybe the intention is that you were supposed to be slavishly following any and all promotional material that comes out for this (in dire contrast to the normal protocols for avoiding spoilers for literally any other film in existence). In any case, the second David shows up on-screen, followed by not-David, you can tell exactly how quickly and violently this film is going down the shitter.

One of the biggest sticking points I have with this film, and also with Prometheus, was the idea of feeling that any of the Xenomorph backstory needed to be excruciatingly spelled out, or even have any kind of point. What I find really fascinating is the posters in this thread throwing incredible amounts of shade at people complaining that the film "isn't canon", when in reality, it's the worst kind of desperate fan-fiction, which is the kind that slavishly attempts to fill in any and every plot point and systematically annihilate any kind of mystery or deliberate intrigue in a setting. The kind of people who are longingly hanging on to Fassbender's every word about genetically modifying the perfect creation are probably exactly the same kind of people who had to back out of the room meowing like a cat when they read how the Jedi strapped giant sloths to their backs in any one of the numerous exceptionally lovely Star Wars EU novels.

Speaking of David, as annoying as he was in Prometheus, his character in Covenant is ramped up to the loving max. The Ozymandius quotes are ludicrously on the nose, and the whole 'creation surpassing creator' theme has been so deeply and thoroughly strip-mined already that by all rights it should be closed, cordened off, flooded, and converted into a lake/semi-illegal swimming hole. Every story beat can be seen coming a mile away.

Also, the physical comedy in this film is just absurd. Every time the floating head in the bathtub was shown, our cinema cracked up louder and louder. The flute fingerblast scene had people in fits. I honestly wasn't sure what the gently caress they were going for tonally in the second act but when the captain burst open to reveal a tiny alien marionette I half expected a "Hello my darling" ragtime montage. I'm not even sure the new humanoid designs even worked especially well, considering the white mouthless alien with all of the terrifying cinematic presence of your mate speaking out the side of his mouth in a silly voice while yanking and releasing the drawstring on a garbage bag.

This whole series of paragraphs is kind of all over the place, but I think the real, key takeaway that I got from this film (and in fact, from any film) is the audience reaction. People walked out of the cinema at my screening. I can only assume to get refunds. Several people were so stupefyingly bored that they started just playing on their phones. This didn't bother anyone else in the audience because at that point no-one gave the smallest of shits. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was an "MST3k-style riff-fest" but I can definitely 100% assure that at the end of a 2 hour run time, not a single person in the theatre I was in was even remotely engaged with the film on an emotional level, and most of them, as it turned out, just stayed through the credits to confirm that a bunch of it was filmed in the same tired mountainous fjordland crap that 100% of New Zealanders are depressingly tired of seeing loud Americans traipse around in for 45-90 minutes.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

well why not posted:

Going by what Ridley says, the reason is planned to be explained in another film. Surprise!

We don't know how David ended up crashing the ship after killing the Engineers. We also do not know for sure that this was David's & Shaw's first stop on their trip after Prometheus. I have to say, also, I am not 100% convinced the planet in A:C is actually "the" home planet of the Engineers; and even if it is, we know they have colonies on other planets, and I doubt this was the only one left with Engineers still alive on it. After all, at some point between A:C and Alien, David still has to get his hands on at least one more donut ship (the one the Nostromo crew finds later.)

Something I have not seen even brought up yet in discussions is that David was so interested in Daniels. He said that until the Covenant crew arrived, he was "missing something" until now. I don't think this "something" was just human bodies - I think it women, or egg cells, to be precise. I think he used Shaw's eggs to make the alien eggs.

I also do not think that he wants the crew's bodies to use to keep doing R&D on xenomorphs, as a lot of people online seem to think. He says outright they are perfect already, and I believe that in this movie, the xenomorphs are already in the form they will appear in Alien. Additionally look in the credits - they aren't called "protomorphs" or "megamorphs" or whatever. They are called xenomorphs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Going by what Ridley says, the reason is planned to be explained in another film. Surprise!

We don't know how David ended up crashing the ship after killing the Engineers. We also do not know for sure that this was David's & Shaw's first stop on their trip after Prometheus. I have to say, also, I am not 100% convinced the planet in A:C is actually "the" home planet of the Engineers; and even if it is, we know they have colonies on other planets, and I doubt this was the only one left with Engineers still alive on it. After all, at some point between A:C and Alien, David still has to get his hands on at least one more donut ship (the one the Nostromo crew finds later.)

Something I have not seen even brought up yet in discussions is that David was so interested in Daniels. He said that until the Covenant crew arrived, he was "missing something" until now. I don't think this "something" was just human bodies - I think it women, or egg cells, to be precise. I think he used Shaw's eggs to make the alien eggs.

I also do not think that he wants the crew's bodies to use to keep doing R&D on xenomorphs, as a lot of people online seem to think. He says outright they are perfect already, and I believe that in this movie, the xenomorphs are already in the form they will appear in Alien. Additionally look in the credits - they aren't called "protomorphs" or "megamorphs" or whatever. They are called xenomorphs.

Shaw couldn't naturally have children; Daniels can. That seems like the most logical endgame for him.

And according to the designers, the xenos in this movie are "moving towards" the ones we see in Alien, but they aren't the same. There's no mechanical bits and bobs - no hollow tubes at the back, no real piping down the sides, no metallic teeth, no webbed hands, etc. Seems to me that the end goal will be David merging with the xenos to create the true bio-mechanical creature. Flesh alone won't be perfect enough for him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Plavski posted:

These movies have been weird for him. He initially wanted to have the xeno in Prometheus but Fox wanted him to completely remove it. He re-worked everything around the premise of the xeno not being in there and wanted to tell a different, more interesting story. Then after Prom came out everyone was saying "where the gently caress is the xeno?".

Ixian posted:

I don't know that premise is accurate. Every interview with Scott after Prometheus indicated it was more or less the story he wanted to tell and if anything the Xeno being shoehorned in at the end was a Fox thing, not the opposite.

Plavski is correct. I recall reading a great article where the crew went into a lot of detail about the creation of the creatures for the film, and they were explicit in stating that Prometheus was originally a standard Alien film with xenos until Fox told Ridley Scott to replace them with some new original creatures instead. I think it kinda paid off because the trilobite was one of the best parts of Prometheus (both the medpod scene and the fully grown reveal) aside from David, but the other creature designs were very weak and uninspired in comparison, I thought.

If the plot details of Covenant are true then I really hope that the sequel is a crew of pirates or something stumbling upon the Covenant floating through space and boarding the ship to discover all sorts of nightmarish poo poo that David has created from experimenting on all those colonists in stasis. Just go all the way with Cronenberg-style body horror mixed with Giger art.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So hang on a loving second. If the Aliens in their final form are the result of a human-made android loving around with Engineer technology, then why on earth do the crew of the Nostromo find a ship full of them piloted by an engineer?

How did the engineers get their hands on the Aliens in this scenario?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Breetai posted:

So hang on a loving second. If the Aliens in their final form are the result of a human-made android loving around with Engineer technology, then why on earth do the crew of the Nostromo find a ship full of them piloted by an engineer?

Some speculate that the space-jockey is David. Though according to some official Fox site, the jockey actually is an Engineer. Either way, it's something that the sequels will have to unravel as no-one knows right now. Also note that in Alien they say the Jockey is "fossilized", but we know the events of Prom/Covenant are like 20 odd years behind Alien. More poo poo that will have to be explained away by the connecting films.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Plavski posted:

Some speculate that the space-jockey is David. Though according to some official Fox site, the jockey actually is an Engineer. Either way, it's something that the sequels will have to unravel as no-one knows right now. Also note that in Alien they say the Jockey is "fossilized", but we know the events of Prom/Covenant are like 20 odd years behind Alien. More poo poo that will have to be explained away by the connecting films.

The next prequel will have diverting a ship full of eggs that's on the way to Earth as the primary goal of the protagonists, and just as they send it careening into a remote and barren planetoid and seconds before they self-sacrificingly die as a result, one of them says "We've done it! No-one else will ever be hurt by those Alien eggs", and then the camera will pan off-set to Ridley Scott sitting in his director's chair and he'll wink directly at the camera before the fade to black.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Nah the sequel to alien covenant will be a two hour single take of old Sigourney Weaver filling out paperwork and interviewing for a weyland - yutani job as a space trucker and winking at the camera at the end of the film.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Then in the sequel to that it is revealed David is Ripley.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sequel to Alien: Isolation will reveal that Amanda Ripley was picked up by David/David's Clone and in the end they got married and named their robo-child Newt.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Breetai posted:

People jump to the conclusion that Covenant is showing the creation of the Xenomorphs from Alien and this is all filling in the blanks and then get all mad at it being a fanfic origin story or whatever instead of thinking things through or paying attention to the movie.

The Xenomorph shows up in an Engineer mural in Prometheus and a variant emerges from the dead Engineer at the end. It seems that whatever genetic information is in the black goo leads to Xenomorph variants, and David is experimenting with mixing that with human DNA.

The ship in Alien is hundreds of years old if I remember correctly.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

People jump to the conclusion that Covenant is showing the creation of the Xenomorphs from Alien and this is all filling in the blanks and then get all mad at it being a fanfic origin story or whatever instead of thinking things through or paying attention to the movie.

The Xenomorph shows up in an Engineer mural in Prometheus and a variant emerges from the dead Engineer at the end. It seems that whatever genetic information is in the black goo leads to Xenomorph variants, and David is experimenting with mixing that with human DNA.

The ship in Alien is hundreds of years old if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but the Voice of God, Ridley Scott, says David created the xenomorph.

"[David] was using the DNA [of Shaw] to cross-fertilise with the black stuff, to see what would evolve. He kept getting mutations, and he called them his beasts – his beautiful beasts.

"He said, 'Now I want to show you my success.' And it's an egg. I don't know how you go from DNA to the egg, but I'm not going to ask the question. But I want to use the egg. So everybody goes from that, the original film, going, 'Oh my goodness, there's the egg.' That's what they were missing in Prometheus. So it's like: 'Here we go.'" http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a828082/ridley-scott-explains-xenomorph-gender/

So ugh... maybe Dallas was wrong about the jockey being old? He just looked at it for a few seconds and made a guess really. As for the mural xenomorph thing, it might have just been a deacon/neomorph thing idk. I've not seen a good explanation for it with what we know from Covenant.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm more than happy to assume David's tinkering was only one strand of Xenomorph design, and that the Engineers already had some variation of the same thing either in the works or long since abandoned.

Or maybe the Nostromo actually does find David in the Space Jockey suit, and he gets stranded on LV whatever after some time travel shenanigans because why not.

Or some poo poo, I don't know. Who loving cares?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I'm more than happy to assume David's tinkering was only one strand of Xenomorph design, and that the Engineers already had some variation of the same thing either in the works or long since abandoned.

Or maybe the Nostromo actually does find David in the Space Jockey suit, and he gets stranded on LV whatever after some time travel shenanigans because why not.

Or some poo poo, I don't know. Who loving cares?

Ridley Scott cares I assume because he's making several movies about the subject.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Ridley Scott cares I assume because he's making several movies about the subject.

After watching AC I can say with some confidence that Ridley Scott gives not one poo poo about the origin of the Xenomorphs. Except in that exploring it allows him to make the space philosophy films he wants to make.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Plavski posted:

Yeah, but the Voice of God, Ridley Scott, says David created the xenomorph.

"[David] was using the DNA [of Shaw] to cross-fertilise with the black stuff, to see what would evolve. He kept getting mutations, and he called them his beasts – his beautiful beasts.

"He said, 'Now I want to show you my success.' And it's an egg. I don't know how you go from DNA to the egg, but I'm not going to ask the question. But I want to use the egg. So everybody goes from that, the original film, going, 'Oh my goodness, there's the egg.' That's what they were missing in Prometheus. So it's like: 'Here we go.'" http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a828082/ridley-scott-explains-xenomorph-gender/

So ugh... maybe Dallas was wrong about the jockey being old? He just looked at it for a few seconds and made a guess really. As for the mural xenomorph thing, it might have just been a deacon/neomorph thing idk. I've not seen a good explanation for it with what we know from Covenant.

He doesn't actually say that. The article says that he does, but the quote just says that he used the egg from the original film, which he didn't in Prometheus, and that David made eggs using Shaw's DNA.

The more interesting quote used is when he describe them as "fundamentally primordial, but with extraordinary intelligence." That seems to be what the other films suggest about them as well, and what makes them interesting.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
So which of the five Alien movies should I watch to prepare myself before I watch the newest one tomorrow?