Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ominous Jazz posted:

that vendiagram is a circle

It's actually a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Someone has never had to answer a maths question that began with the phrase, "Describe a universe"
So there's this city with a ton of doors

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"Timeline? Time is not made of lines! It is a made of circles. That is why clocks are round!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ominous Jazz posted:

that vendiagram is a circle
But a non-euclidean circle.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

And that, my friend, is how you get parallel lines to intersect. Lots and lots of snakes.

The literal definition of "parallel" is "doesn't intersect". You're probably thinking of triangles with an angular excess.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

The literal definition of "parallel" is "doesn't intersect". You're probably thinking of triangles with an angular excess.

In certain kinds of geometry, parallel lines meet. It's weird.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
No, that's how you get parallel lines to intersect

Edit:

fool_of_sound posted:

In certain kinds of geometry, parallel lines meet. It's weird.

I've heard of this non-euclidean geometry in my Japanese animes

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Think of lines of longitude on a globe. They're parallel, but nevertheless meet at the north and south poles. This is a central point of spherical geometry.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
Imagine four longitudes at the edge of a sphere. Say a direct copy of the first is sent to the back and so on.

Geometry works the same way

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Think of lines of longitude on a globe. They're parallel, but nevertheless meet at the north and south poles. This is a central point of spherical geometry.

Those aren't parallel lines. The definition of parallel lines is that "no point on line l is also on line m", or in other words, "l and m do not intersect". (Property A) In Euclidean geometry, this is equivalent to the statement "when lines m and l are both intersected by a third straight line (a transversal) in the same plane, the corresponding angles of intersection with the transversal are congruent." (wp) (Property B) (There's also a Property C; parallel lines are equidistant.) Two lines in Euclidean geometry that satisfy A must also satisfy B and C.

But this isn't the case for spherical geometry, where great circles (longitudes, in your example) satisfying B and C at a point:
a) Do not satisfy B and C at any point - B isn't even satisfied for all transversals!
b) Do not satisfy A

Hence, two great circles in spherical geometry fail A, B, and C and cannot be considered parallel by the definitions of Euclidean geometry. And in spherical geometry, as in neutral geometry, the definition of parallelism is simply A; lines l and m are parallel if and only if they don't intersect.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Those aren't parallel lines. The definition of parallel lines is that "no point on line l is also on line m", or in other words, "l and m do not intersect". (Property A) In Euclidean geometry, this is equivalent to the statement "when lines m and l are both intersected by a third straight line (a transversal) in the same plane, the corresponding angles of intersection with the transversal are congruent." (wp) (Property B) (There's also a Property C; parallel lines are equidistant.) Two lines in Euclidean geometry that satisfy A must also satisfy B and C.

But this isn't the case for spherical geometry, where great circles (longitudes, in your example) satisfying B and C at a point:
a) Do not satisfy B and C at any point - B isn't even satisfied for all transversals!
b) Do not satisfy A

Hence, two great circles in spherical geometry fail A, B, and C and cannot be considered parallel by the definitions of Euclidean geometry. And in spherical geometry, as in neutral geometry, the definition of parallelism is simply A; lines l and m are parallel if and only if they don't intersect.

Huh, yeah you're right. I guess my professor mis-explained that, cause I specifically remember him using that example and calling them parallel lines.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

BrainParasite posted:

"Cultural Marxism" has always been a wild eyed conspiracy theory about the Frankfurt school, as best I can tell.
At the very first, critical theorists were saying it to recognize the Frankfurt school's criticism of the commodification of culture. But like I said, very obscure.

Virtue signaling was coined in a sociology study of how people in a church community demonstrated piety.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
virtue signalling is still an effective critique of highly performative acts that don't do anything for oppressed groups, but nonetheless are treated as extremely important acts of, well, virtue by those within certain groups. It's been dragged through the mud by the conservative teens using it to describe everything under the sun, but it's still a very valid way of describing certain liberal and conservative behaviors.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

virtue signalling is still an effective critique of highly performative acts that don't do anything for oppressed groups, but nonetheless are treated as extremely important acts of, well, virtue by those within certain groups. It's been dragged through the mud by the conservative teens using it to describe everything under the sun, but it's still a very valid way of describing certain liberal and conservative behaviors.

See: Safety Pins.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

At the very first, critical theorists were saying it to recognize the Frankfurt school's criticism of the commodification of culture. But like I said, very obscure.

Huh. I just looked it up. It did (plausibly) leak from academia. What a bizarre concept to latch on to.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

Finally pulling back the curtain on the monster-building stuff.
A fair bit of refinement has come out of the recent playtesting, and I expect this "series" to extend to around 5 posts, possibly more (kinda depends how long each topic ends up being, I want to keep each one kind of succinct.)

Future plans include: Minions, swarms, elites, solos, and "MM3 on a business card"-type guidelines, as well as power-building.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I won't ever signal virtue as I'm proudly an amoral being.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

why is everyone in my college a GURPS or Pathfinder fan

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this rules

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

why is everyone in my college a GURPS or Pathfinder fan

the former seems perfectly fine

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

If kept to a reasonable level of GURPSplexity.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Are these the rumored 'rules of nature'?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DalaranJ posted:

Are these the rumored 'rules of nature'?
Nice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

No thanks! Had enough of that for a lifetime and had a good chuckle recently looking at a completely insane shotgun damage diagram.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I found it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

I found it

I see this a lot.

What the hell is this?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

I see this a lot.

What the hell is this?

Plutonis posted:

a completely insane shotgun damage diagram.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
That's from a supplement that's all about gun nut nonsense. I'd be disappointed if the Gurps gun nut book didn't have at least a two page spread about shotguns.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Tambo posted:

That's from a supplement that's all about gun nut nonsense. I'd be disappointed if the Gurps gun nut book didn't have at least a two page spread about shotguns.

So, do the shotguns got that video game spread that makes them suck big flappy donkey dick? You know, how in most video games shotguns can only shoot 2 feet ahead of you despite how far real shotguns can fire?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

So, do the shotguns got that video game spread that makes them suck big flappy donkey dick? You know, how in most video games shotguns can only shoot 2 feet ahead of you despite how far real shotguns can fire?

You should play Doom. The original shotgun is good for sniping things at long range.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Awgh my shotgun thread got archived https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808037&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Arivia posted:

You should play Doom. The original shotgun is good for sniping things at long range.

Isnīt a shotgun with hard shells just an awkward rifle?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr.Misfit posted:

Isnīt a shotgun with hard shells just an awkward rifle?

A shotgun with slugs instead of shot is just a smoothbore longarm, yes. They do make rifled barrels for slug loads but aside from hunting large game there's little purpose to them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the point is that a shotgun spread pattern holds together much tighter out to a long range than any game depicts

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Mr. Tambo posted:

Does it have the Pancor Jackhammer and Gyrojets, or do I need a different GURPS for that?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Does it have the Pancor Jackhammer and Gyrojets, or do I need a different GURPS for that?

GURPS High-Tech has the 1960's MBA Gyrojet, Ultra-Tech has 15mm Gyroc rifles and pistols with a pile of different warheads (APDS and Nukes to nano-swarms and wormholes) as well as a generic assault shotgun that eyeballs at about where the Jackhammer should be.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Plutonis posted:

I found it

loving GURPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not even all the rules you need to fire a shotgun, they left out the rate of fire rules.

• Locked thread