Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DLC Inc posted:

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

My money is on a "modern western" setup where you play a cop in deep rural middle of nowhere USA & the area is occupied by some sort of cult/militia . I just can't picture the game in an urban setting

edit: and honestly I'd be tempted. Dicking around in Blaine County in San Andreas was always my favorite part of the game

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe Far Cry 5 will be No Country for Old Men: The Video Game, only less good because the philosophizing will be broken up with raiding militia bases with a silenced sniper rifle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PantsBandit posted:

Scuttlebutt is that you play a police officer.

I hate this game already

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah but a black police officer, so it's okay

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Let's hope they have black writers, then.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Maybe Far Cry 5 will be No Country for Old Men: The Video Game, only less good because the philosophizing will be broken up with raiding militia bases with a silenced sniper rifle

If it is also set in the 70's I would be sold

But could you like be a detective in the city instead

Could someone just make that Sabotage music video into a video game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Far Cry Cop Edition would be hilarious if only for the Polygon articles about it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly the solution is to have a hyper serious take on being a Mall Cop.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
A third person shooter with Segways would be pretty good actually

Monkey Fracas posted:

If it is also set in the 70's I would be sold

But could you like be a detective in the city instead

Could someone just make that Sabotage music video into a video game

This is what I was hoping Rockstar's next project would be

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

It should be Hell or High Water: The Game where instead of dealing with cops and wanted levels all the civvies pull out their guns at the first sign of trouble.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the best cop related videogame is payday 2, where you murder thousands upon thousands of cops

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hell or High Water is a loving awesome movie. And not just because it's the first neo-western with vaping in it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft's entire shtick is making easily identifiable, accessible games that millions of people will play. We don't have to live in continual amazement that their games are very middle of the road and formulaic because that is their entire goal.
It was cool that they funded the 2 recent Raymans despite them selling like 20 total copies.

I really liked Sands of Time, and at least some of Splinter Cell. The mass market loving sucks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the best cop related videogame is payday 2, where you murder thousands upon thousands of cops

It's the best representation of the Cop Dimension out there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess True Crime/Sleeping Dogs had a pretty good open world cop thing going until their dumb Triad Wars MMO killed them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
he walked into the room, and wrote "FAR CRY" on the whiteboard

paused

then "FAR CRYS"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm almost as surprised to find out Ubisoft is me-too-big with a western theme around the release of RDR2 as I am to find out Guy Mann is a vaping enthusiast because of course he is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

precision posted:

he walked into the room, and wrote "FAR CRY" on the whiteboard

paused

then "FAR CRYS"

The S was actually a dollar sign

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress, more games should be set in the Wild West. I don't understand this attitude that it belongs to Rockstar

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Red Dead Redemption was the first good western made western game, so I'd definitely be down for other people experimenting with the setting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm sure Ubisoft's myriad game systems will apply wonderfully to the setting and make for a memorable experience.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's a western game but GET THIS there is wildlife that you can shoot in the head and skin on the spot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, more games should be set in the Wild West. I don't understand this attitude that it belongs to Rockstar

There are plenty of good western games up to and including Ubisoft's own published Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Releasing a big western game when the biggest name in games is also releasing one is going to invite a lot of unflattering comparisons unless they have massively stepped up their game from the last Far Cry games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lol I got the bad ending to Witcher 3 because I wanted to get gold to upgrade my sword.

Thanks video game, I've learned a suitable lesson.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rumor I've heard is that FC5 will be set in Montana, you play as some sort of police officer, and the bad guys are crazy, nationalist militia-types. Which fits with the Red, White & Blue logo treatment. Exact time period is uncertain, probably modern, though I'm an idiot so I'm holding out for at least somewhat futuristic.

Dunno how they're gonna justify the whole hunting and crafting system though. Why not just go to the mall?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are plenty of good western games up to and including Ubisoft's own published Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Not really. It's mostly just RDR, Gunslinger, the wild west levels in Timesplitters and maybe that one vampire western game that played like Halo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The GTA people are a different group that aren't let anywhere near it right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Not really. It's mostly just RDR, Gunslinger, the wild west levels in Timesplitters and maybe that one vampire western game that played like Halo.

What about GUN, a game where you can scalp people, which I did constantly?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

I'm almost as surprised to find out Ubisoft is me-too-big with a western theme around the release of RDR2 as I am to find out Guy Mann is a vaping enthusiast because of course he is.

hey i mean i'm hardly an enthusiast but i like vaping my weed because it's like decarbing it for cooking except you also get to get hosed up, it's straight up having your cake and eating it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

You didn't name Sunset Riders are therefore are factually incorrect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

westerado. journey of the prairie king. sunset riders

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

GUN was clunky poo poo that reused it's few areas constantly. It was only notable because it was a open world cowboy game in the time before RDR.

When you make a western game, it shouldn't be hilariously obvious that you built it on the same engine you used for Tony Hawk games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know i must've played wild west games at some point in my life but aside from call of juarez gunslinger and the lucasarts Outlaws game from the 90's (and sunset riders) i cannot think of a single one

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Or Red Dead Revolver, a game where you shoot up cartoon caricatures of general Classical US Westerns/Spaghetti Westerns and is also scored with real old spaghetti western music

I think the game was originally supposed to be about shooting monsters or some poo poo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh freddy pharkus frontier pharmacist

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

sunset riders

Bury me with my money.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Please don't forget wild c.o.w. boys of moo mesa, aka Sunset Riders 2

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Lol I got the bad ending to Witcher 3 because I wanted to get gold to upgrade my sword.

Thanks video game, I've learned a suitable lesson.
Nah, it's making 3 out of 5 helicopter dad decisions. It doesn't depend on 1 choice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tap my mountain posted:

GUN was clunky poo poo that reused it's few areas constantly. It was only notable because it was a open world cowboy game in the time before RDR.

by far, the most disappointing thing about GUN is that if it has a modding community, you'll never, ever be able to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Saint Freak posted:

The GTA people are a different group that aren't let anywhere near it right?

Production at Rockstar is similar to Ubisoft in that there is one lead studio in charge of the direction the game but all studios contribute to development due to the scope of the game. Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3, and Grand Theft Auto 5 all had Rockstar North, Rockstar San Deigo, Rockstar New Yock City, Rockstar Leeds, and Rockstar Toronto work on them in different roles. After Max Payne 3 shipped, studios no longer specialize in a specific discipline and instead do whatever needs doing, such as asset creation or multiplayer testing.

• Locked thread