Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ya im still 57 I like to fish

Yeah I guess I can see why 50 more ms wouldn't affect your personal core gameplay, but I can't see why you feel you think it wouldn't matter for people who play the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

pissdude posted:

where are yall obtaining IP addresses to test latency?

ilifinicus posted:

Lobby server IPs have had their DNS entries updated for Aether (neolobby04.ffxiv.com) and Primal (neolobby02.ffxiv.com). New servers are in Sacramento, CA, based on this. If they are keeping the same server IP ranges as before (which it looks like based on the IPs those two lobbies return), 204.2.229.41 would be one of the servers hosting Excalibur. Get checking your pings! For comparison, 195.82.50.45 is Ragnarok.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, the average reaction time to visual stimuli is like 275-280 ms. adding in the actual latency you could be looking at half-second functional latency depending on where you are.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Okay, so now that I'm on the machine I actually have FFXIV installed on, it's pinging at 54 ms. Not sure why that'd make a difference, but there it is. At least it's not total packet loss.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

Lobby server IPs have had their DNS entries updated for Aether (neolobby04.ffxiv.com) and Primal (neolobby02.ffxiv.com). New servers are in Sacramento, CA, based on this. If they are keeping the same server IP ranges as before (which it looks like based on the IPs those two lobbies return), 204.2.229.41 would be one of the servers hosting Excalibur. Get checking your pings! For comparison, 195.82.50.45 is Ragnarok.

20ms lmao

hell yeah i went down like 50-60

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yoshi P is in San Francisco. 😱

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So is one of the new beast tribes the Quadav from FFXI? I could swear I saw guys with big turtle shells.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If this game was as unforgiving about AOEs as WoW was back when I had a 300ms ping to the west cost server I'd be pretty jumpy too, but this one...eh. If I still PVPed then I'd be pretty bitchy but lol PVP.

I wouldn't blame the people in the EU for going way more local though, 200+ms is kinda annoying to play with and seems like there's enough people now to fill a FC.

Edit: the folks bitching about less than that :jerkbag:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 16, 2017

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Up 60 to 195ms from England. So that's cool.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

50ish to ~160 from new england. Hooray. :geno:

On the upside I had constant issues with packet loss and random delays due to Comcast being poo poo, so a longer but more consistent ping is better in the long run. And it'll probably be shorter once I boot up mudfish again. On the other hand, no way am I going to try leveling NIN in Stormblood considering the issues I had doing mudras right as it is...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My ping has stayed essentially the same. As a sidenote, my ping is worse than Mr.Nice!' in Florida and I am in Texas and this amuses me but it also might be why they didn't pick a location here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm kind of hoping that when people get to play again tomorrow it's a total disaster if only for the salt.

But then it's fixed in time for ~Stormblood period so I don't have to deal with it being a disaster.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm in Toronto, and I went from around 15 to 100. Which kind of sucks. I also hit that Ragnarok IP out of curiosity and it's around 140. I'm kind of miffed that the difference between the current NA and EU is smaller than the difference between the old NA and the new NA. But oh well. I'm not too concerned. I'll get used to it. This is a ping I'm used to sitting at in online games, anyway. Crazy low ping was nice while it lasted.

I'm a bit concerned that the max hits I get from the NA server are higher than the EU servers. Inconsistency is worse than a higher ping, imo. But it'll probably be fine. If it isn't, I can look into that VPN.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

hmm getting 208ms ping. Not as awful as i expected but still worse than before.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

My ping has stayed essentially the same. As a sidenote, my ping is worse than Mr.Nice!' in Florida and I am in Texas and this amuses me but it also might be why they didn't pick a location here.
Not sure why it'd be worse than Florida; up near DFW my ping has dropped a bit to 48~49ms. There's a ton of network infrastructure in Texas. :pcgaming: :clint: :pcgaming:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Revolutions was kinda meh, but honestly I think every theme they do is going to sit in the shadow of Answers for me. Such a good emotional range, and I would wind up singing along to it when I was doing T13.

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nill posted:

Not sure why it'd be worse than Florida; up near DFW my ping has dropped a bit to 48~49ms. There's a ton of network infrastructure in Texas. :pcgaming: :clint: :pcgaming:

Because my location Texas is about 900 miles closer to Sacramento than Florida so I would expect to have a better ping than someone in Florida? :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

vOv posted:

Revolutions was kinda meh, but honestly I think every theme they do is going to sit in the shadow of Answers for me. Such a good emotional range.

It's less prevalent with Dragonsong but perhaps that might be because it's the first one after Answers, but Revolutions feels a bit like they had a checklist where they had cross off each of the things Answers has to make it worth of being the theme for an FFXIV game, rather than just making a kick rear end song.

It's not bad but it's underwhelming.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

vOv posted:

Revolutions was kinda meh, but honestly I think every theme they do is going to sit in the shadow of Answers for me. Such a good emotional range, and I would wind up singing along to it when I was doing T13.

Yeah I agree. Realistically they aren't all going to be MVP caliber.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Has there been any hint of a free server transfer with the server moves? I've been meaning to go to Excalibur for a while now and it'd be nice to do it for free.

vOv posted:

The live performance of Answers I had during one of the Distant Worlds was probably one of the top three live performances of music I've ever heard. It's really an incredible song.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Because my location Texas is about 900 miles closer to Sacramento than Florida so I would expect to have a better ping than someone in Florida? :shrug:
And I was saying that my also-in-Texas ping is 20ms faster than what he posted so what you're encountering is likely more of an ISP issue than backbone fuckery? Have you tried a traceroute?

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If mudfish is connecting already to the new server locations (which it should be based on the updated IP routing) then I'm still able to get sub 50ms ping from Florida.

I don't think it is connecting to the new locations yet, because for me Mudfish is still saying ~100-110ms from the UK, whereas pinging the IP that someone gave before gives me ~210ms. I doubt Mudfish is making me have the same ping as I got to the old servers.

Also lol that my ping is more than doubling if these numbers are accurate. Thanks SE.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nill posted:

And I was saying that my also-in-Texas ping is 20ms faster than what he posted so what you're encountering is likely more of an ISP issue than backbone fuckery? Have you tried a traceroute?

Ah fair enough.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
I ran Creator savage as NIN with 160-180~ ping, AMA

(all the answers are "get carried", don't bother actually asking)

Also I'm not sure Mudfish routing has updated, there's a single post in the "support" forums for it from a random guy saying he'll update as soon as he gets some new packets when the servers are up. If they're going to the new servers already, my VPN ping just went down 10 ms.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
From 25ms to 100ms. Not the apingalypse I thought it would be, but it looks like that extra Skill Speed I melded just in case of this won't be wasted.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I went from 49 to 80 ping gonna throw this trash game in the garbage!!!

still less than I ever got in age of wushu which was also located in California

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'll be going from 11ms to 121ms.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Hello friends, I just heard that the NA data centres are being moved to California or such meaning I'll finally be able actually play this game instead of being at 300+ ms.

Is it yet known when the servers will be live at their new location?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FillInTheBlank posted:

Hello friends, I just heard that the NA data centres are being moved to California or such meaning I'll finally be able actually play this game instead of being at 300+ ms.

Is it yet known when the servers will be live at their new location?

When the current maintenance ends

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

cheetah7071 posted:

When the current maintenance ends

OH! Excellent. I thought it wouldn't be until near Stormbloods release.
Such a good day it is today.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FillInTheBlank posted:

OH! Excellent. I thought it wouldn't be until near Stormbloods release.
Such a good day it is today.

Shutting off the game for a whole month would be a bit excessive.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Have they talked about the Garo poo poo ending on Stormblood?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Have they talked about the Garo poo poo ending on Stormblood?

Only that it's going until at least SB happens.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And that the mounts should continue to be earnable beyond then, just maybe not the titles or stat-providing versions of the gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sub 100ms ping when checking connection to the new datacenter. I forget what I had to their prior location from the eastern US but this is fine.

jyrque posted:

Guess Alisae is a red mage or something similar? At least her cutscene animations look similar as RDM battle animations like that backflip.

Yes, she absolutely is one.

Thumbtacks posted:

they can't make a story NPC a job character though. I assume. would be sweet tho

Estinien is a DRG, Yugiri is a NIN, Gosetsu is a SAM, and Yda is a MNK (or will be in the expansion).

There's no reason to think they can't make a story NPC have a job instead of a class when they've already done it.

e:

Oxyclean posted:

Is there much infrastructure for data centres that are centrally located?

If by "centrally located" they mean a place like Austin, TX then sure. If they mean a place like flyover states then eh no not really.

Not sure what sort of options would exist in Chicago.

Zaodai posted:

As opposed to noted two man garage operation SquareEnix? :v:

League of Legend's PCU record is several times larger than FFXIV's entire subscriber count.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 16, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
RIP my ability to ever play NIN since I live in MA, I guess. I'm upset they chose the option that pretty much maximally screws me over specifically, but I'll probably live.

The joke is on all of us when the servers get destroyed in an earthquake though.

Edit: Just checked and my ping is 89 ms. That's... livable, I guess. I still feel personally spited. Anyone got the EU server addresses? I doubt my ping would be better to them, but it might make for an amusing comparison.

Edit2: Just saw the Ragnarok IP posted earlier, 115 ms. Nearly equal, kind of funny I guess.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 16, 2017

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Chaos Data centre is 195.82.50.9 right?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

RIP my ability to ever play NIN since I live in MA, I guess. I'm upset they chose the option that pretty much maximally screws me over specifically, but I'll probably live.

The joke is on all of us when the servers get destroyed in an earthquake though.

Edit: Just checked and my ping is 89 ms. That's... livable, I guess. I still feel personally spited. Anyone got the EU server addresses? I doubt my ping would be better to them, but it might make for an amusing comparison.

oh my god i am getting so loving sick of people who know literally nothing about how network architecture works

ok listen up: the majority of problems existed before because of level3 dropping packets. they're still doing it right now. ping means less than nothing when architecture comes into play

code:
5    15 ms    16 ms    13 ms  xe-7-0-10-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.108.213]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *       41 ms    39 ms  ae-2-12.bear1.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.69.203.129]
  8    40 ms    38 ms    39 ms  ORMUCO-COMM.car2.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.59.178.74]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10   202 ms    59 ms    90 ms  192.34.76.2
that is a route right now, east coast, to the old server area. notice the * * * - that's a completely hosed up non-response. this is the new area.

code:
  5    11 ms    13 ms    13 ms  xe-7-0-10-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.108.213]
  6    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  be-7725-cr02.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.93.125]
  7    23 ms    24 ms   127 ms  hu-0-12-0-1-pe03.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.88.178]
  8    16 ms    14 ms    18 ms  50.242.151.58
  9    79 ms    78 ms    79 ms  ae-1.r04.atlnga05.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.59]
 10    31 ms    23 ms    12 ms  ae-4.r21.atlnga05.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.202]
 11    34 ms    33 ms    36 ms  ae-6.r23.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.116]
 12    79 ms    78 ms    78 ms  ae-8.r23.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.154]
 13    83 ms    80 ms    83 ms  ae-41.r02.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.119]
 14    83 ms    81 ms    80 ms  ae-2.r00.scrmca02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.7.33]
 15    85 ms    92 ms    88 ms  xe-0-1-0-1-1.r00.scrmca02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [129.250.195.46]
 16    82 ms    83 ms    83 ms  204.2.229.234
 17    83 ms    83 ms    83 ms  204.2.229.41
you notice how there's no loving asterisks in the new one? that means packets aren't getting dropped, resulting in a massive improvement in gameplay. the REASON vpns allowed people to play was because you were bypassing level3

the short version is to stop freaking the gently caress out about ping

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
That's not too bad really, I've dropped about 20-25ms from my ping. It was never unplayable, but I guess every little bit counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Office Surprise Store posted:

oh my god i am getting so loving sick of people who know literally nothing about how network architecture works

ok listen up: the majority of problems existed before because of level3 dropping packets. they're still doing it right now. ping means less than nothing when architecture comes into play

You seem to be assuming I had dropped packets before. A latency increase with no packet loss before or after is still a shittier scenario. That being said, I know full well that 89 ms isn't actually that terrible, I wasn't being serious about the NIN comment.

The fact that it was still the shittiest choice for me and the attitudes of some of the west coast posters in this thread still makes the whole situation feel spiteful though.

• Locked thread