Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Build-a-Boar posted:

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

The Australian limited edition (region B) distributed by Madman has:

Special Features:
Behind Over the Garden Wall
Original Pilot: Tome of the Unknown
Alternate Title Cards
Deleted Animatics
Commentaries
Composer's Cut

No idea about other regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boxman posted:

Also - "Unobtainium." Good macguffin name or best macguffin name?

Tone is everything. I have no doubt they knew how ridiculous it was, but in-movie, it didn't seem like it was supposed to be ridiculous.

But I've only seen it once so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Schwarzwald posted:

There are four planned Avatar sequels.

Yes but that's all after the fact. The movie itself was a completely self-contained story with no lingering sequel hooks or after-credit stingers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Build-a-Boar posted:

The only way I can sleep at night is to tell myself that the scene where a giant mech pulls a giant bowie knife was written entirely for comedy, and nobody seriously wrote that thinking it would be good and cool.

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

that's the only part of Avatar I remember, the only part that was worth remembering, and it redeemed the entire rest of the movie for me

Guy Mann posted:

Yes but that's all after the fact. The movie itself was a completely self-contained story with no lingering sequel hooks or after-credit stingers.

I'm not even vaguely clear on what you're trying to argue at this point. Avatar was always a heavily commercial venture, designed first and foremost to showcase 3D technology, and Cameron was talking about making an ocean sequel or something while it was still in theaters. That it wasn't written expressly as the first installment of a trilogy Peter Jackson style means nothing.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 16, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_nfdzMhmrA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This movie is, and I strongly and confidently assert this, going to suck rear end.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's the only part of Avatar I remember, the only part that was worth remembering, and it redeemed the entire rest of the movie for me

Agreed. I don't want to live in a future where my mech suit does not have a giant bowie knife to fight off the giant alien tiger-lizard. It was a neat fight.

I like James Cameron and Avatar is ok. Its a tech demo in which his Colonial Marines fight cat-people aliens. I've put it on for background noise for cleaning/painting miniatures every blue moon.

I don't have high hopes for the sequels cause...yeesh. Why?

In actual animation stuff, I found this in the FanArt a couple of days ago. Its done by the same person who did that rad Star Wars animation clip. Its R-Type themed with music by someone wishing they were Carpenter Brut. It think its pretty neato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm the romance subplot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a lot of problems with that trailer but the biggest problem is, how are you gonna have a joke about unused emojis and then not include the weird melty M thing in the very back of the emoji list

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot of problems with that trailer but the biggest problem is, how are you gonna have a joke about unused emojis and then not include the weird melty M thing in the very back of the emoji list

I use the pine tree emoji like every day

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Most of the emojis I see are the eggplant emoji. Unless maybe it's only unused emojis on the specific phone but thats weird because why are the emojis aging and having children.

Anyway don't think I'll be seeing Lego Wreck-it Inside Ralph

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyway don't think I'll be seeing Lego Wreck-it Inside Ralph

This film seriously feels like someone made a Pixar plot random generator and picked the first result.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Manic pixie dream emoji

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

This movie is, and I strongly and confidently assert this, going to suck rear end.

This, but it's also going to make a billion dollars.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Everything about that was just terrible.

Just.

No.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's going to become the new Happy when the old Happy turns out to be evil, and he's going to be Happy because the girl showed him how to believe in himself and how much better he is than everyone else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also I would think that after a few incidents of my phone not behaving like it's supposed to, I would reset it, or factory reset it or bring it it back into the store to figure out what's wrong. Like, this to me is gonna end up being like how people view Cars, where I wouldn't be able to buy into the fiction of the story because the logic of the world makes no sense. There's this whole thing about being yourself and you shouldn't have to be sad, you can be happy! Except you literally can't because your whole world can just get reset or deleted for doing so. And unlike Wreck-it Ralph, it doesn't look like they're gonna explore the consequences of that. So it should be more like Rick's car battery in Rick and Morty where they need to act a certain way or risk their world getting destroyed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also there's the fact that the emoji that shows up is decided by the recipient's phone, not the sender's. The sender sends the code for an emoji to show up but it isn't sending the graphic per se.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is the endgame for everyone not to be Emojis? Will the company that owns Emoji change the system up to reflect the movie? Atleast add the hacker girl emoji?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Happy emoji and Sad emoji will get lost from the rest of the emojis and have to find their way back to a teenage girl's phone so she can send happy texts agai-- wait, never mind

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The day that animation died

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The likes-dislikes ratio on the trailer gives me life though.

On the official upload it's currently 1k likes, 7k dislikes

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys said the saaaame poo poo abotu Angry Birds and it turned out it was just another soulless flick with a few laughs. Emoji isn't the death of anything, it just is.

It will be more coherent and world-built than Bee Movie, I'd wager. Probably abotu on par with that Wrestling tie in penguin movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched angry birds and the bird literally is an angry bird, but the others have different emotional problems.

Also the movie takes about 45 minutes to set up what takes the game 2 still images to convey.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
if this doesn't have unsettling geopolitical parallels it'll be a step up from Angry Birds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Drifter posted:

You guys said the saaaame poo poo abotu Angry Birds and it turned out it was just another soulless flick with a few laughs. Emoji isn't the death of anything, it just is.

It will be more coherent and world-built than Bee Movie, I'd wager. Probably abotu on par with that Wrestling tie in penguin movie.

I defended some things about the Angry Birds movie for what it's worth

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Guys. I am really, really sick of "It's okay to be yourself!" movies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Do you mean like in general or has there been a recent trend. The only one I can think of in the current wave of movies is like Rock Dog.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mycot posted:

Do you mean like in general or has there been a recent trend. The only one I can think of in the current wave of movies is like Rock Dog.

Sing, Trolls, Moana probably I guess I didn't really like it that much.

I mean, I'm still amazed how good Trolls turned out to be. I can't wait for Troll 2. :getin:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 16, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
e: ^^^ Recent and permanent!^^

It's a message you just can't get away from in animation. And it's a (debatably) fine message, but it really, really rarely has anything new to say or offer. Inside Out is probably the closest in that regard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

e: ^^^ Recent and permanent!^^

It's a message you just can't get away from in animation. And it's a (debatably) fine message, but it really, really rarely has anything new to say or offer. Inside Out is probably the closest in that regard.

There are always new kids seeing films. Repeating messages is fine because many people in the audience are seeing it for the first time and that's okay.

Basically any positive message gets done a lot because there are a limited number of positive messages available. Execution matters more than anything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a good message :kiddo:

But still, burn Sony animation to the ground

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will not tolerate another cross word about Trolls in this thread

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am not a parent (can you imagine???) but here's a tip:

For the price of an adult and two kids to Emoji Movie, plus popcorn and drinks, I'd wager you could get 3-4 excellent animated films on bluray with great plot, character, humour and heart. Have a movie afternoon at home with homemade snacks. And you get to keep the movies forever too!

Boycott Emoji Movie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or I can go watch Rock Dog on Netfl--oh wait :[

Guess it's back to Zootopia for me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

Or I can go watch Rock Dog on Netfl--oh wait :[

Guess it's back to Zootopia for me.

Hmm should I watch Zootopia an extra time this week? I mean more than my requisite 11 times

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

There are always new kids seeing films. Repeating messages is fine because many people in the audience are seeing it for the first time and that's okay.

Basically any positive message gets done a lot because there are a limited number of positive messages available. Execution matters more than anything.

With the home market and now streaming, there's more access than ever to movies past, present, near and far. You're not bound by theatrical re-releases or the Disney vault. This is the best time ever to branch out into new themes and messages for animation. Maybe something a little more challenging and defiant. Zootopia's very much celebrated for being brave enough to say "gently caress biotruths" in TYOOL 2016. I mean, drat, there's room.

Also "Be yourself!" is waaaaaay more useful to adults than it is children. Children live under a strict rule of hammering the errant nail. "Be yourself!" kicks in as a positive around the time you hit college. :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

With the home market and now streaming, there's more access than ever to movies past, present, near and far. You're not bound by theatrical re-releases or the Disney vault. This is the best time ever to branch out into new themes and messages for animation. Maybe something a little more challenging and defiant. Zootopia's very much celebrated for being brave enough to say "gently caress biotruths" in TYOOL 2016. I mean, drat, there's room.

So? This has been true for ages. That doesn't meant that, among other things, kids aren't interested in whatever is new or in a day out at the theater or whatever. It's a weird selfish thing to go "Well, *I* saw this already so these kids should just stay at home and watch movies I already saw so I continue to see new experiences in the theater."

The exact same applies to you. You have near-total access to movies of all shapes and sizes, including foreign films and television shows, and you probably haven't watched more than a fraction of just those that are animated, let alone all films in general. Go watch those instead of complaining that a kid might see a message you already saw.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If your childhood entertainment consisted of 1930s silent films in French you may be a hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drifter posted:

I mean, I'm still amazed how good Trolls turned out to be. I can't wait for Troll 2. :getin:

I can't wait to see the McElroy Brothers in Trolls 2.