Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda want more shows with a message of "don't be yourself, if 'yourself' is actually a lovely person". That seems a rather more relevant message today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

I kinda want more shows with a message of "don't be yourself, if 'yourself' is actually a lovely person". That seems a rather more relevant message today.

Isn't this basically Breaking Bad (though Walt totally decides himself is awesome even when the entire universe disagrees.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

So? This has been true for ages. That doesn't meant that, among other things, kids aren't interested in whatever is new or in a day out at the theater or whatever. It's a weird selfish thing to go "Well, *I* saw this already so these kids should just stay at home and watch movies I already saw so I continue to see new experiences in the theater."

The exact same applies to you. You have near-total access to movies of all shapes and sizes, including foreign films and television shows, and you probably haven't watched more than a fraction of just those that are animated, let alone all films in general. Go watch those instead of complaining that a kid might see a message you already saw.

I think you're pulling something very different than what I'm saying. More messages are good. Kids have a lot of messages that are not being and will not be addressed so long as the easiest, least objectional option is being selected. It's okay to be sad is a good message for kids. It's okay to move on from grief is a good message for kids. Vengeance against bullies is still bullying is a good message for kids. Don't treat others with prejudice is a good message for kids.

Be yourself is the most widely addressed, do-nothing theme of a medium which prides itself on pushing boundaries. Why restrict yourself to a single, common message when there are dozens of other productions doing the same thing?

And for the record, I really don't like the "If you don't like it, don't engage in it" argument. The same argument gets used against women in media all the time and it really hits a nerve for me. And this is my field, I kinda need to engage it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

But wow, that dialogue and voice acting is bad. I can see why his TIE fighter animation didn't have any dialogue.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

To be honest, this is way closer to the message of Trolls.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fangz posted:

People have been telling me this for years but it hasn't sunken in :smug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

you're lovely Hedrigall

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

starkebn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

But wow, that dialogue and voice acting is bad. I can see why his TIE fighter animation didn't have any dialogue.

Oh man, I linked this earlier but I chose to pick the one that had the most likes just for whatever reason. I had no idea it had dialog and no idea that it was awful.

The one I saw was this one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2R79KXQIQ

It even references the fact that it is better without dialogue at the end. Oh my god, its terrible. I feel shame...

I have learned a valuable life lesson.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mycot posted:

If your childhood entertainment consisted of 1930s silent films in French you may be a hipster.

phew, cocteau's beauty and the beast isn't silent, i'm safe

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Fangz posted:

As middling of a reception as "Monsters University" got, I still love that it committed to a message of "you might fail at your dreams, some people just aren't cut out for some stuff," which is almost heretical for a Disney movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I think you're pulling something very different than what I'm saying. More messages are good. Kids have a lot of messages that are not being and will not be addressed so long as the easiest, least objectional option is being selected. It's okay to be sad is a good message for kids. It's okay to move on from grief is a good message for kids. Vengeance against bullies is still bullying is a good message for kids. Don't treat others with prejudice is a good message for kids.

I think saying "it's the last objectionable message" is pretty ridiculous in a time when a lot of people are made to feel ashamed of being themselves. It may not matter to you, personally, but this message has impact and meaning to people. I've worked with kids who have very real reason to take pride and comfort in that message and the fact that it exists elsewhere doesn't suddenly not give it value because it's been done before. Treating it as 'unobjectionable and safe' devalues it and that isn't fair to the people it does support and help. You're the one treating it as meaningless and 'do-nothing' because it doesn't personally speak to you.

Yes, it's 'safe' in that it isn't openly objectionable except by the biggest shitlords, but it's still something that is a good thing for kids, especially kids dealing with personal issues, to hear, especially because the context of these films is usually different and usually does contain some of the messages you mention. "Be yourself" is such a generic summary of a concept that it can cover a wide range of films and a wide variety of ideas. The fact they have the same message doesn't stop them from having different executions or even other messages within the same concept. Some of them are bland and disposable and I certainly doubt the Emoji Movie is going to be anything but trash, but I don't like the idea of connecting 'safe' and unworthy.

Das Boo posted:

And for the record, I really don't like the "If you don't like it, don't engage in it" argument. The same argument gets used against women in media all the time and it really hits a nerve for me. And this is my field, I kinda need to engage it.

That isn't what I was trying to say there and if it came across that way I apologize, that wasn't my intention but you shouldn't have felt you were being told that anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 17, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Looks like I pissed someone off, so I'm fine dropping the discussion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My background makes me especially hostile to the message of "just be yourself" ( :v: ) but most plots that lean on the idea could just as easily lend themselves to the idea of "be your best self" -- that is, it's still about how you have the potential to do good things, shouldn't let yourself be arbitrarily discouraged or suppressed, and can live a life of worth and self-worth and so on.

This means actually owning up to your ideological stance on what is best, however.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Looks like I pissed someone off, so I'm fine dropping the discussion.

Man that's not a nice way of referring to Imp Atom.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

Man that's not a nice way of referring to Imp Atom.

I wasn't! Thread title. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

25-40 is the age range of parents who have young children who want to see animated movies

Maybe someone who works in the industry can correct or clarify but I would be shocked if animated children's movies aren't designed to cater to the 25-40 crowd; it seems like a missed opportunity.

(I realize it's being used as shorthand for unmarried nerds, here.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fangz posted:

you're lovely Hedrigall

Awww :3:

My Over the Garden Wall blu-ray arrived today! Gonna watch more toniiiight :h: :spooky:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Movies can stop telling kids that it's OK to be yourself when people stop using "snowflake" as an insult.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

One complaint I would suggest about the 'be yourself' narrative is that it's typically depicted straightforwardly as a confidence thing, whereas kids often know they want to be themselves, and the films just don't address sufficiently the significant forces that prevent them from "being themselves". That narrative needs to be aimed more at parents than at the kids.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess Emperor's New Groove is a pretty good "don't be yourself" movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

One complaint I would suggest about the 'be yourself' narrative is that it's typically depicted straightforwardly as a confidence thing, whereas kids often know they want to be themselves, and the films just don't address sufficiently the significant forces that prevent them from "being themselves". That narrative needs to be aimed more at parents than at the kids.

Yeah, I can agree with this. "Be yourself just being "be confident" isn't the best because a lot of people don't just need confidence. It's a hard matter to tackle in an animated movie for kids but I also don't think an impossible one and there are plenty of examples of it being done relatively well. I think a good kid's movie probably should have something to say to parents as well as kids.

(As a semi--unrelated side note, I think A Goofy Movie is a good film both about a kid and his father and a father and his kid and works well in both directions.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/lolitsmary/status/864482893942239233

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Huh. Since the conversation is still being allowed?

Fangz posted:

This is exactly what I meant when I said it was "do-nothing." Like I said, "Be yourself." is realistically a more socially acceptable and therefore achievable for an adult than it can possibly be when applied to a kid. That's why I brought up ParaNorman as a specific because it deals directly with a particular issue in maintaining one's childhood identity: People are going to wrong you, it doesn't make it right to wrong them. That's an applicable lesson for a kid.

I'm still confused about how what I said was construed as "Cartoons shouldn't be for children."
"It would be great if cartoons had more varied, applicable and challenging themes for children." is what I think. That's it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You'll have the confidence to be yourself once a girl likes you, and everyone will like you and you'll be rich. If this doesn't happen, the girl must be punished because she's defective somehow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Thank loving god, at last a 2017 animated movie to look forward to.

https://www.themarysue.com/the-breadwinner-trailer/

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Looks great but it's differant looking than Song of the Sea/ Secret of Kells. Not sure why that bugs me, animators don't need consistent styles.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fangz posted:

Thank loving god, at last a 2017 animated movie to look forward to.

https://www.themarysue.com/the-breadwinner-trailer/

Any idea what that music in the background is? I've heard it in a lot of other places before, Inception being the only one I can pinpoint.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Today in Second Rate Animation Picked Up By Non-Major Studios:

Jim Gaffigan is... a goose! Releasing 4/20/18 (which is the same day as Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, which will hopefully steamroll it) http://deadline.com/2017/05/duck-duck-goose-movie-release-date-open-road-1202095738/

Jeremy Renner is... an arctic fox! Releasing in the dead of winter 2018. http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/809717-open-road-films-acquires-animated-arctic-justice-thunder-squad#/slide/1

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I'll watch it

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Hedrigall posted:

I'll watch it

we know

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm the fifth quadrant of movie marketing

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You're the long tail of movie sales.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hedrigall posted:

I'm the fifth quackdrant of movie marketing

ftfy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still waiting on that Howard movie, Marvel.

Not the Lucas one, dammit

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I wanted to do more Rock Dog breakdown but I feel the moment has sort of passed and also :effort:

Still, something I want to grouse about in the film is the character design. Now I'm not to complain extremely loudly about Khampa having a beautiful mastiff mane in the 2D prologue and then a close cropped head, because I know its a technical/money issue. I won't fault the film for not having, say, a Zootopia budget. However, when you spent what you have very poorly I can't help but be pissed. Now, on the whole the character designs were acceptable, if somewhat bland. Some of them, though, were just way bad. Thw worst aspect of it, however, was the bobble-heading. For some reason all the characters tend to have oversized head, well beyond what you might expect from a cartoon. To the point that you might think thier heads will fly off if they try to nod!

Perhaps the worst example is Trey, some kind of leopard-y guy that seems like he should have had a much bigger role and impact in the movie, if they had bothered to develop a storyline.

Look at his tiny, teeny neck!

As you see here, as he attempts to humiliate and destroy an innocent doggo's self esteem, its totally not in proportion with his body.

Its bigger than his guitar, even.

Plus he's really, really smug. What a stereotype, giving cattes a bad name.

Get the gently caress out of here, you bobble-headed freakshow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chester Cheetah got old.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
He's even got the Cheeto's brand guitar.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess he's a leopon but whatever it is, it isn't communicated so well.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

CRINDY posted:

Jim Gaffigan is... a goose! Releasing 4/20/18 (which is the same day as Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, which will hopefully steamroll it) http://deadline.com/2017/05/duck-duck-goose-movie-release-date-open-road-1202095738/

It's the return of that dirty Alpha and Omega woods aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, the designs look cute at least.

The fox in the poster looks like an anthropomorphic Marty McFly in that getup.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2017