Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did some digging around and it looks like this is it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2000/08/21/the-hardest-test

quote:

Such speedy, boozy days now seem almost innocent; and they were innocent in that Coppi’s use of la bomba didn’t contravene cycling regulations of the day—amphetamines were declared illegal only in the mid-sixties. The quantum leap came when drugs designed to stimulate were replaced—or, in real terms, joined—by drugs designed to fortify, notably growth hormones and EPO (erythropoietin), the synthetic version of a naturally occurring hormone which is often prescribed for dialysis and chemotherapy patients. Instead of helping suppress pain and giving you the illusion that you were stronger than you actually were, the new drugs really did make you stronger. In addition, Maso explained, “There are no bad days, as with amphetamines.” From the early to the mid-nineties, EPO became the drug of choice among many professional cyclists. Its function is to raise the red-blood-cell count, which sends more oxygen to the tissues, thus increasing your endurance and your powers of recovery. If there are two riders of equal ability, the one taking EPO will beat the one who remains clean; it is as simple as that. EPO was banned in 1990, even though its actual presence could not be proved; only its suspicious consequences were detectable.

There is a downside, of course. Bike riders, like other top athletes, are so fit that their heart rate is preternaturally low; EPO thickens the blood, making it harder to pump around the body, and also more liable to clot. In the early days of EPO, there were a number of mysterious deaths—usually from a heart attack, usually in the middle of the night—of otherwise healthy cyclists. The assumption was that their heart rate had dropped during sleep and became simply insufficient to pump the blood. To counter this, EPO takers were said to get up in the middle of the night to exercise. Some also used a kind of thoracic alarm clock, which woke them when their heart rate dropped too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if it'd be healthier for the NFL and its players to implement weight maximums.

No. They NFL would do something stupid like weigh them on game day or 24 hours before and you'd have super dehydrated players dying after UFC style weight cuts.

Which are still super dangerous because only a couple of guys know how to do it properly.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Grittybeard posted:

I was roommates with football players for a semester in college due to some mix up--they don't like normies to be with athletes usually. They'd have their football assignment stuff to study (like opposing team's tendencies, etc) and on top of every page in the two linemen's handouts was a bolded reminder to keep eating.

It was nutritional stuff but the basic message was they need to eat.

I watched Joe Thomas play football and basketball in HS and uh.... to say he underwent a transformation once he got to Wisconsin would be an understatement. They took a really athletic kid who played tight end and they just added muscle and bulk.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did some digging around and it looks like this is it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2000/08/21/the-hardest-test

It's wild that you can make yourself so 'healthy' that your heart gets too slow...although I guess its only a problem if your blood is thickened.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

I watched Joe Thomas play football and basketball in HS and uh.... to say he underwent a transformation once he got to Wisconsin would be an understatement. They took a really athletic kid who played tight end and they just added muscle and bulk.

In before Brian Cushing pics

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No. They NFL would do something stupid like weigh them on game day or 24 hours before and you'd have super dehydrated players dying after UFC style weight cuts.

Which are still super dangerous because only a couple of guys know how to do it properly.

Doing last-minute cutting would have an impact on your game performance though, wouldn't it?

And in this scenario you'd have weekly weigh-ins or something, and it would at least prevent players from ballooning up to 350+ and/or needing to eat every two hours to maintain.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Doing last-minute cutting would have an impact on your game performance though, wouldn't it?

And in this scenario you'd have weekly weigh-ins or something, and it would at least prevent players from ballooning up to 350+ and/or needing to eat every two hours to maintain.

UFC fighters do all sorts of crazy poo poo. They miss weight cuts and lose purses, get hospitalized, are more prone to concussions, are slower etc.

Some people say it doesn't help at all, some say it gives you a huge advantage if done right. It's terrible for your body long-term though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

UFC fighters do all sorts of crazy poo poo. They miss weight cuts and lose purses, get hospitalized, are more prone to concussions, are slower etc.

Some people say it doesn't help at all, some say it gives you a huge advantage if done right. It's terrible for your body long-term though.

It's obviously around in every weight class sport. Back when he actually cared enough to make weight Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr's best aspect as a boxer was making weight at the weigh in but then coming into the ring on fight night 20 lbs heavier than whoever he was fighting.

It's slightly safer than it used to be since they moved weigh ins farther away from fights. A super popular KC fighter died after cutting everything to make weight and then fighting less than 24 hours later 15 years or so ago.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/864587953695330304

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I read a horrible story about being an offensive lineman in the NFL and they need to do poo poo like eat fried chicken coated in peanut butter to maintain weight.

Yeah, eating really is like a second job for the big boys in the NFL. I've heard about how they can't even enjoy it anymore

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

IIRC the Diaz brothers are basically always at weight without needing to cut much. Coincidentally they never gas out

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 16, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Intruder posted:

Yeah, eating really is like a second job for the big boys in the NFL. I've heard about how they can't even enjoy it anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30GwSee7eYc

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

They should take lessons on food enjoyment from Eddie Lacy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Intruder posted:

IIRC the Diaz brothers are basically always at weight without needing to cut much. Coincidentally they never gas out

Nate claims he has a pretty rough cut to 155, but he still has a good gas tank when he fights there. But the Diaz brothers aren't instructive examples anyway since they're both triathletes as well.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I read a horrible story about being an offensive lineman in the NFL and they need to do poo poo like eat fried chicken coated in peanut butter to maintain weight.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/02/nfl-nick-hardwick-weight-loss-san-diego-chargers

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Teams are apparently getting even more touchy about 'guaranteed' money in contracts. For a while there's been language about voiding contracts if a player is suspended for any reason, now some contracts have language that a player's contract can be voided if they incur a fine. Celebrate a little too much? Get a ticky tack roughing the passer penalty? Well there's an automatic fine. But it's even worse than that, teams themselves can fine players:

quote:

A more sinister trend is developing: teams are negotiating language that voids—erases—future guarantees not only for suspensions, but also for a fine! Think about this scenario: a player is late to a meeting (perhaps because his car broke down or he had an accident) and is fined for being late, triggering the void of millions, or even tens of millions of future guarantees!

That's, uh....well not very good for the players. In theory they wouldn't even have to do anything wrong, they could be fined for having a bad attitude or something because the team itself is the only one overseeing what's fine-worthy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
All that poo poo hits the middle class of players much harder than the big money guys too. Do you think, say, DeAndre Hopkins will ever have to accept that kind of language in his contract? gently caress no

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

Teams are apparently getting even more touchy about 'guaranteed' money in contracts. For a while there's been language about voiding contracts if a player is suspended for any reason, now some contracts have language that a player's contract can be voided if they incur a fine. Celebrate a little too much? Get a ticky tack roughing the passer penalty? Well there's an automatic fine. But it's even worse than that, teams themselves can fine players:

That's, uh....well not very good for the players. In theory they wouldn't even have to do anything wrong, they could be fined for having a bad attitude or something because the team itself is the only one overseeing what's fine-worthy.

uh well the market.. will correct... for such inefficiencies

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
umphhhhh

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775745816904380416

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WHOOPS posted:

As anyone ever looked at the impact to rookies who can't attended minicamp due to the rules about coming from quarters system? Similar to Myles Jack, Anthony Barr and Erick Kendricks also had slower starts to their rookie seasons but maybe it's just the nature of being a linebacker.
Not that I am aware of, but I havent checked. It kept coming up as an excuse why he wasnt seeing the field and this and that.

Spintzel posted:

Care to elaborate? Sure Jax doesn't have a decent O line for Fournette. But I'd still take both those picks
I dont like Fournette as a runner, I think his style will lead to injuries and his body breaking down earlier than usual. The pick at 4 smells so badly of "Dallas picked Zeke last year and 4 and look how it helped them!" despite the fact that the Jaguars dont have an Offensive line to speak of outside of center, while Dallas has the undisputed best OL in the league (honorable mention to the Raiders). Fournette has a running style that will be hindered by not having any blocking. The Jaguars have the second worst OL in the league (honorable mention to the Vikings) and drafting a T/G tweener in the second round doesnt fix that. Drafting a T/G tweener

Sataere posted:

What would you rather they addressed? From what I can see, they addressed the two most glaring needs on you team. Running back and offensive line. And they arguably got the best players at their respective positions.

What did you want them to do?
Anything but RB. The team needs too much on the OL and depth on defense. Take the best available player that will help the team. Or trade back with one of these crazy teams trying to trade up. An upright runner whose playstyle needs a not-abomination OL to play well will not help the team, because the OL is that bad. Blake Bortles will still be running for his life and will end up cut, there will still be no running game, and the D is still going to be bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LDT? Morse? Who am I looking at here?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

LDT - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Chiefs guard. Gets better by the year and also a very sexy literal Doctor.

Morse - Mitch Morse. Chiefs center. Very good center. He looks like a person.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Look at the Charger who tries to square up for a second at the five yard line. LDT and Morse are Chiefs offensive linemen.

Another terrible stat about Chiefs drafted quarterbacks I just learned. Other than the technicality of Roger Staubach, Kansas City has never drafted a quarterback who threw more Touchdowns than he did Interceptions.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LdT retired years ago

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

LdT retired years ago

You try to learn how to spell the KC guard's name. Agreed that it's a bad nickname but he needs something other than his actual name for the internet.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Call him Larry. Also gently caress yes I'm hard.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chiefs goons wanna meet me at the Eagles game briefly? I'll be the drunk guy grilling in the parking lot.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Anything but RB. The team needs too much on the OL and depth on defense. Take the best available player that will help the team. Or trade back with one of these crazy teams trying to trade up. An upright runner whose playstyle needs a not-abomination OL to play well will not help the team, because the OL is that bad. Blake Bortles will still be running for his life and will end up cut, there will still be no running game, and the D is still going to be bad.

I can't wait till he's cut and the Browns pick him up for penny's. People calling Bortles a bust has been laughably premature. Dude played last year on a busted shoulder behind a trash o-line of course he was bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I can't wait till he's cut and the Browns pick him up for penny's. People calling Bortles a bust has been laughably premature. Dude played last year on a busted shoulder behind a trash o-line of course he was bad.

What about all of the other years?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I think i'm out of town that weekend.

edit: for the chiefs/phi game i mean

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seth Keysor is probably the best twitter follow I've made in a year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

big money big clit posted:

What about all of the other years?

I only implied he'd be good when I completely forgot about them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chromatic posted:

I think i'm out of town that weekend.

edit: for the chiefs/phi game i mean

What game will you be in town for? I want to meet any chiefs poster (except parm)

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Addae is what would've happened if Rodney Harrison had no discernable football skills other than 'hit people' and 'get injured all the time'.

Hated the Chargers giving him a long term deal. He's just not that good.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

What game will you be in town for? I want to meet any chiefs poster (except parm)

well i live a decent time away from kcmo but if i do plan to go to any games this year(my brothers and i have talked about it possibly in november or december) ill post an all-points on here for a possible meet-up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should all come to LA instead and we'll watch them roll the Chargers in a soccer stadium.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

Addae is what would've happened if Rodney Harrison had no discernable football skills other than 'hit people' and 'get injured all the time'.

Hated the Chargers giving him a long term deal. He's just not that good.

He seems to be a good locker room guy, but that doesn't make up for him being a bad football player

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/andy_benoit/status/864184612632883200

:laugh:

https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/864206216091713536

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm, who do you think have the 10 worst rosters?

I'd say above anything else these 4 are undeniable: Jets, 49ers, Browns, Bears. They might not be your top 4, but if they aren't in your top 10, you're wrong

Then by record it would be:

Jaguars, Rams, Chargers, Panthers, Bengals then a big jumble of Eagles, Bills, Saints, Cardinals, Colts, Ravens, Vikings and Washington.

I think the Jaguars and Rams are easy includes just because their QB and offensive situations are just awful, but both could have quite good defenses this year . Then it gets pretty tough. The Ravens and (lesser extent) Eagles also have dire offensive casts, but quite solid defensive units. While the Saints and lesser extent Colts have excellent quarterbacks, and horrifying defenses. The Vikings and Panthers traded horrific offensive line problems, but have a lot of talent, while the Bengals, Washington and the Bills all fall in that nebulous "Not objectively terrible anywhere, but not exactly wowing you".

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I don't actually think the Chargers' roster is that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I don't actually think the Chargers' roster is that bad

Yeah I don't think they're Super Bowl contenders or anything but a healthy Chargers team seems like a middle of the pack NFL team.

• Locked thread