Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I am hype for the soul crushing disappointment of the reveal of Zelda match 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Knocked down all 4 beasts, all 120 shrines and decided it was time to take out Ganon.

If I wasn't such a dumbass, it would have been infinitely easier. It took me a little bit to figure out what to do when he went all red and indestructible and shooting lasers (just use the Gerudo Shield moron). If I would have caught on to that earlier, I would have beaten him much more quickly. Also can you just perfect parry his lasers like guardians? I attempted it once and when the Gerudo Shield deflected and knocked him down I just kept doing that until he was dead.

Also, loving lol I'm so dumb at the final Ganon Beast battle I got so caught up in the moment that I didn't realize Zelda didn't just give me the bow and I had to run out to the middle of the loving field to retrieve it. Then, loving lol I'm so dumb and it took me a few shots to realize shooting light doesn't require arc and I didn't need to lob arrows at the targets and could instead just shoot right at them.

All in all, it was fun and frustrating. Question though, after the credits it kicked me to the home screen. I loaded the game and it put me back to my previous save point (before I beat Ganon) and the quest was no longer complete. Is that normal? Should I have started a new game or how do I continue on my game post Ganon beat down?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

weird Asian candy posted:

All in all, it was fun and frustrating. Question though, after the credits it kicked me to the home screen. I loaded the game and it put me back to my previous save point (before I beat Ganon) and the quest was no longer complete. Is that normal? Should I have started a new game or how do I continue on my game post Ganon beat down?

You should have a star next to your save file that indicates you're "post-endgame", the only real difference is a % completion, # complete/# total quests, and stars next to miniboss titles you've already killed when you aggro them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You should have a star next to your save file that indicates you're "post-endgame", the only real difference is a % completion, # complete/# total quests, and stars next to miniboss titles you've already killed when you aggro them.

Maybe I missed it...I'll check it out. Is it normal to have the kill Ganon main quest return as not completed though? I loaded the last save in the list ie the top most save point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe I missed it...I'll check it out. Is it normal to have the kill Ganon main quest return as not completed though? I loaded the last save in the list ie the top most save point.

Yes, it returns you to the state you were in right before fighting him.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I bought Wind Waker HD on Amazon for $15, first time playing it since its original release.

Man am I feeling the urge to just get on a boat and set sail to an island, not go through all this linear poo poo. Lets hope we never go back to this style for the 3D games.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Ok cool, thanks. Wasn't sure if my game glitched out or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

yamdankee posted:

Side point, beating BotW made me get into MM. Is it just me or does MM feel not nearly as fleshed out as OoT was? Is this something generally agreed upon and I'm 17 years late to the party? Or maybe it's been so long since I played OoT it's just as fleshed out and I have a very wrong opinion, which is entirely possible. I am enjoying MM very much, still. Aged unbelievably well for releasing in 2000.

Majora's Mask actually has a ton of side content. You just have to go somewhat out of your way to find it. There's a poo poo load in Clock Town, but a lot of it only happens at certain times of the day, or on different days. Your Bomber Notebook will help you out with it a bit. It shows you what days/times characters have things going on for them. There's a lot of depth there. If you just go from dungeon to dungeon, you can miss out on a lot of stuff.

Thyrork posted:

Well I'm never going to get around to getting a WiiU for Skyward Sword, so which of the three archived lets play's would you guys recommend?

I liked Jordan Kai's LP the best.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

ProjektorBoy posted:

I wonder how much of BotW's development was spent on meetings to adjust Zelda's chest. Finding that sweet spot that's all-ages-appropriate but won't cause mass outcry from dipshit misogynists, while maintaining good proportions all around to not make her look ridiculously flat. Perhaps there are a couple hundred Zeldas that ended up in the recycle bin.

Zelda got dat rear end and loving knows it

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

It's almost like a troll. Boobs are the sole trigger for dipshit internet tough-guys so the problem flies under the radar. Literally and figuratively.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Majora's Mask actually has a ton of side content. You just have to go somewhat out of your way to find it. There's a poo poo load in Clock Town, but a lot of it only happens at certain times of the day, or on different days. Your Bomber Notebook will help you out with it a bit. It shows you what days/times characters have things going on for them. There's a lot of depth there. If you just go from dungeon to dungeon, you can miss out on a lot of stuff.

yeah i feel like this needs to be stressed because of this:

yamdankee posted:

I feel like MM was kind of like an update for Destiny - fill out this accomplishments book - yay new content! (Bombers book) Know what I mean?

I'm guessing means you haven't filled out much of the Bombers book, which is honestly where the meat of the game is. It goes a lot deeper than just side-quests/fetch quests and was a lot heavier with the character interactions than us non-RPG players in 2000 were used to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Wait, so you are never in the botw world post-Gannon defeat? It's always working off a pre-Gannon save but with a star because the game knows you already beat Gannon?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, so you are never in the botw world post-Gannon defeat? It's always working off a pre-Gannon save but with a star because the game knows you already beat Gannon?

That's correct.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just want them to remake Link's Awakening in the BOTW engine. Just really embrace the whole "stranded on an island" theme while they're at it. Even beef up the shovel mechanics too. Awakening was my first videogame I ever owned and it's been my favorite since day one.

quoting to say this is all true and correct.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The only reason BotW wasn't called Link's Awakening is because the name was already taken :colbert:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Link's awakening

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majora's mask where the clocktower resets every luner cycle.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MokBa posted:

Zelda's got cakes like flapjacks, not sure what you're talking about.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Only just got to Zora's Domain myself. That was a fuckin' slog and a half up that path, with no climbing and shocking lizards and wizards everywhere.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Knocked down all 4 beasts, all 120 shrines and decided it was time to take out Ganon.

If I wasn't such a dumbass, it would have been infinitely easier. It took me a little bit to figure out what to do when he went all red and indestructible and shooting lasers (just use the Gerudo Shield moron). If I would have caught on to that earlier, I would have beaten him much more quickly. Also can you just perfect parry his lasers like guardians? I attempted it once and when the Gerudo Shield deflected and knocked him down I just kept doing that until he was dead.

I had the exact same issue. Kept trying to hit him with arrows and stuff until I realized you had to parry the laser.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

The controls are great in Skyward Sword. It's a shame about the rest of the game.

The controls are bad and the game is bad but Groose is great and it's a crying shame we never got him as a character in Hyrule Warriors.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The controls are bad and the game is bad but Groose is great and it's a crying shame we never got him as a character in Hyrule Warriors.

Zelda has a really good track record though, because it took them like 25 years to actually make a game that wasn't good. Unless you count the CDI games and let's not.

Okay, so Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks aren't that good either.

I bet tens of fans of Zelda 2 are glad that Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks exists so that Zelda 2 is no longer the black sheep of the series.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally just did the yiga hideout last night almost 100 hours in because my random wandering meant I wound up in the gerudo desert after every other part of the world.

My understanding is that now that I beat the yiga hideout I'll get randomly ambushed by them?

I have to say, saving gerudo desert and the yiga clan for the end game is nice, I spent 99% of the game dealing only with the couple yiga you bump into on the road.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gammatron 64 posted:

Zelda has a really good track record though, because it took them like 25 years to actually make a game that wasn't good. Unless you count the CDI games and let's not.

Okay, so Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks aren't that good either.

I bet tens of fans of Zelda 2 are glad that Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks exists so that Zelda 2 is no longer the black sheep of the series.

You're stating SS is bad like it's objective fact when there have been several people who have stated the contrary. The game has a 93 on Metacritic.

I don't think you're being fair to the game here. You may not like it, but plenty of others do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Only just got to Zora's Domain myself. That was a fuckin' slog and a half up that path, with no climbing and shocking lizards and wizards everywhere.

On the bright side you should now have a crapload of arrows.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I finally just did the yiga hideout last night almost 100 hours in because my random wandering meant I wound up in the gerudo desert after every other part of the world.

My understanding is that now that I beat the yiga hideout I'll get randomly ambushed by them?

I have to say, saving gerudo desert and the yiga clan for the end game is nice, I spent 99% of the game dealing only with the couple yiga you bump into on the road.

Yeah, if you avoid the roads the incidence of ambushes is infrequent, but near the roads it is kind of annoying.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

On the bright side you should now have a crapload of arrows.

Something like 100, yeah. I kept running low because trying to snipe game animals is hard apparently, so that's nice. It's a good goddamn thing I had a couple Guardian Swords and Soldier's Claymores and the like though, that trail bled me utterly dry for good weapons.

Speaking of which I still have no loving clue what I'm doing with cooking. Like I've found things like hearty radishes and other stuff that gives bonus hearts, and that seems to be the best thing, but what sort of proportions am I looking at and what sort of chaff (apples, raw meat, herbs, etc) I should be using eludes me.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of which I still have no loving clue what I'm doing with cooking. Like I've found things like hearty radishes and other stuff that gives bonus hearts, and that seems to be the best thing, but what sort of proportions am I looking at and what sort of chaff (apples, raw meat, herbs, etc) I should be using eludes me.

I legit cooked things like four times the entire game. I just am not a fan and really never needed the effects. That being said Mighty Durian Fruits are your friends...

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I legit cooked things like four times the entire game. I just am not a fan and really never needed the effects. That being said Mighty Durian Fruits are your friends...

If it was quicker to cook stuff I probably would have. I know it's not REAL long, but I wish there was a system (like an oven or some dumb poo poo) where I could choose to make like, 5-10 of the same thing all at once. Otherwise yea, I just ate a whole poo poo load of raw meat.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ciaphas posted:

General rule is the more things with an effect the stronger the effect (mighty=attack+, sneaky=stealth+ etc, the description will tell you); things like Hylian mushrooms and apples are filler/healing and don't mix things with different effects because that ruins food.

Also there are recipe posters in the stables.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I hit the maximum pages of food items somewhere between the first and second dungeons.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Like other posters have said, I'd cook more if it wasn't such a tedious pain in the junk.
When you're standing next to a cooking pot, place a "cook" button in the menu, hit X to start selecting for a single meal, hit A to select ingredients, hit X to begin selection for next meal, hit A to select ingredients for meal 2, repeat. B to cancel the latest meal, Y to cook all selected meals all at once. Done.

Also, gently caress the rain. It would be nice if it rained about 1/20th as much.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 17, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Zora's domain has a lit cooking pot under cover and Gerudo Desert doesn't have rain.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love the cooking animation, but yea, just let me choose like 30 recipes from my inventory at once and then click a cook button while standing near a lit pot. I don't wanna sit through that animation 30 straight times.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh yeah. It'd be nice if, say, once you cook a food once, you can choose that same meal from a recipe book or something. That way you wouldn't have to go scroll through all your junk to find the 3-4 cold res boosting ingredients each time you want to make a spicy mushroom and fish fry or whatever.

And if that same menu would let you make more than one of said food at a time, that would just be gravy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
An in game cooking tool that listed meals you've already made with the same "throw random poo poo in a pot" mentality would be nice for the fancy meals that aren't just stat-crabs or durians mixed with mushrooms.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If it was quicker to cook stuff I probably would have. I know it's not REAL long, but I wish there was a system (like an oven or some dumb poo poo) where I could choose to make like, 5-10 of the same thing all at once. Otherwise yea, I just ate a whole poo poo load of raw meat.

Exactly. It took way too long to cook stuff. There needs to be a Faron Costco or something where I can buy all my meals in bulk...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Exactly. It took way too long to cook stuff. There needs to be a Faron Costco or something where I can buy all my meals in bulk...

The ridge near Faron tower is loaded with durian and the southern beach is loaded with razor crabs. That's really all you need. I wish I knew somewhere that had a constant supply of stam restoring food since I blow through that while biting off more than I can chew when picking which mountains to climb.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

The ridge near Faron tower is loaded with durian and the southern beach is loaded with razor crabs. That's really all you need. I wish I knew somewhere that had a constant supply of stam restoring food since I blow through that while biting off more than I can chew when picking which mountains to climb.

Yeah, that is where I loaded up on durian. Those things are incredible. What do razor crabs do? Just restore a poo poo ton of health?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeah, that is where I loaded up on durian. Those things are incredible. What do razor crabs do? Just restore a poo poo ton of health?

Throw five into a pot and you get a level 3 Attack boost for like 5min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it would be cool if it was a bite-sized version of top-down Zelda gameplay or something instead of a Korok farming simulator or some poo poo