Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

he's finally here
casting flare at you
he's the first member
of the black mage crew

His MCH gun
Wildfires in spurts
If he shoots ya
It won't really hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

strong bird posted:

yall need god and to get a drat grip

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Reiterpallasch posted:

gently caress, i've been trolled, haven't i
Every time the game goes down for a longer-than-usual maintenance it happens. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my authentic Hawaiian salt shaker and :smuggo:-ing at all these ping complaints that are below 300 ms (you poor sods I understand your pain.)

To borrow something said in another forum that's tangentially related because it alludes to a dude what punches and that's what MNK's do and Stormblood's all about the MNKs:

Serious thread series : serious continuous shitpost

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

There's sufficient infrastructure in say Omaha or Chicago for a data center the size they would need in order to operate, but I'm guessing nobody in SE even remembers either of those places exist, let alone other somewhat tech savvy cities in the Midwest.

I'm in Omaha, that would have been cool. Also, I'm not going to bother pinging the new server, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

network latency shouldn't really affect your ability to get into a final coil party though

Lol

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like the QoL stuff they debuted in that new blog post. Having minions spawn when you log in is nice, and the sitting/lounging change is something I never expected but now realize I always wanted.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I like the QoL stuff they debuted in that new blog post. Having minions spawn when you log in is nice, and the sitting/lounging change is something I never expected but now realize I always wanted.

Where is this?

nm i found it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Where is this?

nm i found it

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002047.html

For the rest of you.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kwyndig posted:

I'm over the moon about the debuff icon change.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Office Surprise Store posted:

code:
5    15 ms    16 ms    13 ms  xe-7-0-10-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.108.213]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *       41 ms    39 ms  ae-2-12.bear1.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.69.203.129]
  8    40 ms    38 ms    39 ms  ORMUCO-COMM.car2.Montreal2.Level3.net [4.59.178.74]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10   202 ms    59 ms    90 ms  192.34.76.2

Hello mr network expert guy who is teaching us all the value of knowing how wan networking works. Those *'s do not indicate packet loss, they indicate routing through a network that has ICMP responses set to "gently caress off nerd". For a basic end user, testing an endpoint for packet loss running a ping -t for about five minutes will tell the story. Some carrier networks are also set to ignore the first one or two ICMP pings then return on a third or subsequent. So long story short: Tracert.... not the best tool to judge packet loss on.

Oh and running a continuous ping is a far better gauge of what y'know your ping will be too. Tracert can sometimes tell you if you have route problems, but tbh enough carriers are floating around blocking ICMP that I wouldn't call it a definitive source. I find tracert to be more useful in seeing what the hell is going on with MPLS/weird internal network shenanigans than it is as an external tool.. because again various carriers blocking ICMP will absolutely leave you missing a good chunk of the story, and god forbid there be a whole string of them.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 17, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm over the moon about the debuff icon change.

No more arguing with pubbies who INSIST that a debuff can't be cleansed when they haven't even tried (or were trying to cleanse the wrong debuff) :toot:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
guys, its perfectly okay for some people to be mildly upset that they chose a server, played on it for several years, and now the server is moving and their ping is getting worse. this is a perfectly normal and ok thing for a person to be a little peaved about, and yall really dont need to be jumping down peoples backs for venting in the thread literally less than 24 hours after it happened, before the game is even up.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you have a mac or unix machine, you can also just type in "mrt <ip address>" and that should get you a continuous ping, too

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

panda clue posted:

guys, its perfectly okay for some people to be mildly upset that they chose a server, played on it for several years, and now the server is moving and their ping is getting worse. this is a perfectly normal and ok thing for a person to be a little peaved about, and yall really dont need to be jumping down peoples backs for venting in the thread literally less than 24 hours after it happened, before the game is even up.

They really should hand out a free server transfer for it imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

panda clue posted:

ACtually. It's epic and I'm glad people are getting owned who aren't me for once.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

They really should hand out a free server transfer for it imo.

I'm honestly kinda shocked they aren't offering a free transfer straight up for EU players. Maybe they will for free if you ask? Still sucks, but if they don't at least do that much that's pretty hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

panda clue posted:

People are screaming about how they're quitting the game and how it will be unplayable. That isn't 'a little peeved' or 'just venting.'

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

People are screaming about how they're quitting the game and how it will be unplayable. That isn't 'a little peeved' or 'just venting.'

Only if they follow through on it.

Like how much of this is just "the game is down for two days and I'm bored?"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

UHD posted:

Only if they follow through on it.

Like how much of this is just "the game is down for two days and I'm bored?"

These people need jesus

or they could just binge on hollow knight while the servers are down because god drat that game is good

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Office Surprise Store posted:

oh my god i am getting so loving sick of people who know literally nothing about how network architecture works

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hello mr network expert guy who is teaching us all the value of knowing how wan networking works. Those *'s do not indicate packet loss, they indicate routing through a network that has ICMP responses set to "gently caress off nerd". For a basic end user, testing an endpoint for packet loss running a ping -t for about five minutes will tell the story. Some carrier networks are also set to ignore the first one or two ICMP pings then return on a third or subsequent. So long story short: Tracert.... not the best tool to judge packet loss on.

Oh and running a continuous ping is a far better gauge of what y'know your ping will be too. Tracert can sometimes tell you if you have route problems, but tbh enough carriers are floating around blocking ICMP that I wouldn't call it a definitive source. I find tracert to be more useful in seeing what the hell is going on with MPLS/weird internal network shenanigans than it is as an external tool.. because again various carriers blocking ICMP will absolutely leave you missing a good chunk of the story, and god forbid there be a whole string of them.

the short version is to stop freaking the gently caress out about ping
This was beautiful by the way. I'm sitting here doubting myself thinking don't some systems just ignore this request but nah this person said they were an "expert", obviously the error must be on my end :lol:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

panda clue posted:

I'm honestly kinda shocked they aren't offering a free transfer straight up for EU players. Maybe they will for free if you ask? Still sucks, but if they don't at least do that much that's pretty hosed up.
I wouldn't be surprised if SE was currently thinking along the lines of "If they wanted to be on the EU servers, they should've jump ship when we moved those and offered free transfers. Anyone still on the US servers must not care about the quality of their connection."
Free transfers this time will probably depend on how much feedback they get from EU players in the next few days, and it not getting drowned out and ignored alongside east coast US players whining about their 85ms ping.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gruckles posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if SE was currently thinking along the lines of "If they wanted to be on the EU servers, they should've jump ship when we moved those and offered free transfers. Anyone still on the US servers must not care about the quality of their connection."

same, but "people will pay money to transfer, so lets do that"

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Gruckles posted:

Free transfers this time will probably depend on how much feedback they get from EU players in the next few days, and it not getting drowned out and ignored alongside east coast US players whining about their 85ms ping.

Free transfers were for moving _out_ of EU, http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5c5088d1f8d65a28813b4d98b6156bf3372fae42/

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

drat, SE is crazy. I don't know if that makes it more or less likely that they'll offer transfers to EU servers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

This was beautiful by the way. I'm sitting here doubting myself thinking don't some systems just ignore this request but nah this person said they were an "expert", obviously the error must be on my end :lol:

I mean I'm not doubting that there's some packet loss at Level 3's end. Ever since L3 started ingesting other carriers like kirby with the munchies they have been pretty fuckin' lackluster. In the last year at least once a month they have completely fumbled voice or data services (Sometimes both at the same time!) for the entire east coast. A big part of the really "Bad" fuckups is they have bungled relationships for various local fiber connectors (You may have level 3 internet at a business for instance, but ATT may actually own the fiber that runs along your street, which means the two have to negotiate a deal), and their noc team are criminally underpaid, thus filled with the kind of people who bungle a lot (Restarting entire core switch stacks during business hours).

But *'s don't mean packet loss in trace routes. If you tracerouted several wan interfaces at my work right now, which I assure you is absolutely up and running, you'd run into a blackhole of *'s because oops somebody turned ICMP response off (me.)

EDIT: I haven't paid much attention to this, they moved the datacenter to California? That's stupid. There's a reason Texas is the MMO datacenter capital of the world.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 17, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

There's a reason Texas is the MMO datacenter capital of the world.

What's hosted there?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shy posted:

What's hosted there?

WoW's servers were initially hosted there though they did do a west/east split, moving most of the ones in Dallas to Chicago (Which has a lot of the same benefits as Texas to be honest). I probably mispoke when I said MMO DC capital of the world (Though I wouldn't be shocked if I was right by accident). But it's definitely the game server capital of the world, mainly because you can service both coasts with decent pings from there and the IT infrastructure there is amazing. It's why a lot of game companies setup shop in Austin as well from Blizzard to Daybreak.

EDIT: It's also why if you are in a big gaming group that's geographically spread and you are buying say a battlefield server... you pick one in Austin. Euro's will only see a few MS difference between Austin and any given east coast city, and the Americas will be well covered.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
And I was secretly hoping maintenance would end early. Rip. Wonder if they physically relocated the servers or if they've dropped new hardware for stormblood and did some log shipping over the last two weeks and are waiting for the tail to catch up.

Or if they split the difference, added new hardware and some dude is cranking it down some interstate with a u-haul full of numbered raid drives.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

A TON of FPS game servers have always been traditionally located in Texas as well. Dallas is a huge CS/Quake server haven

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pissdude posted:

A TON of FPS game servers have always been traditionally located in Texas as well. Dallas is a huge CS/Quake server haven

It really is the logical place to dump a gameserver, with Chicago being the next runner up, and anything on the coasts being a "Bad Idea".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rhymenoserous posted:

And I was secretly hoping maintenance would end early. Rip. Wonder if they physically relocated the servers or if they've dropped new hardware for stormblood and did some log shipping over the last two weeks and are waiting for the tail to catch up.

Or if they split the difference, added new hardware and some dude is cranking it down some interstate with a u-haul full of numbered raid drives.

They probably got some new hardware, but I'm betting data transfer has been a gradual process with them moving copies of backups over the past few weeks and just doing a synch with current data today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

These people need jesus

or they could just binge on hollow knight while the servers are down because god drat that game is good

BotW and MK8 are making me play this even less than I already was. Disgaea 5 comes out soon too and that'll more than last me until the expansion.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wonder if they physically relocated the servers or if they've dropped new hardware for stormblood and did some log shipping over the last two weeks and are waiting for the tail to catch up.

Yoshi P personally carried the drives down from Canada on an overnight marathon road trip, arriving just in time to host the media event in San Francisco today.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I don't know dick about internet data transmission but my ping in Michigan will drop by 20ms, thanks for listening and god bless while we suffer catgirl withdrawl

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yoshi-P posted:

During development for A Realm Reborn, we strongly felt that the establishment of a North American data center was necessary to achieve the type of game experience we wished to provide. Though faced with a tight development and preparation schedule, we were able to realize our goal in time for ARR’s launch.

However, the endeavor hasn’t been without its challenges. The FINAL FANTASY XIV NA data center was Square Enix’s first attempt at establishing game servers outside of Japan, and as such, we have spent much time quietly tackling related problems since the center’s inception four years ago.

Some of these problems have included voltage overload and a lack of physical space for additional servers, ultimately leading to an inability to efficiently optimize servers or expand the scale of data center itself.

As a result, players have been repeatedly inconvenienced with server crashes and protracted server maintenance periods.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/321165-Important-Information-Regarding-North-American-Data-Center-Relocation

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd love to see raw numbers for this poo poo. Like how many hosts? What specs? How many TB is their data. What do their clusters look like in terms of instances, log shipping, and backups?

Of course I doubt anyone really gives out that info.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I don't want to read the last couple pages and I'm a big gay baby, is the game up or are people just arguing about ping for fun

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rand Brittain posted:

Looks like I'm at 96 now on Time Warner in SC, but I can't remember what it was before.

Same, 96 average in SC, not on time Warner though. I also don't know what it was before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

I don't want to read the last couple pages and I'm a big gay baby, is the game up or are people just arguing about ping for fun

Not until at least 3 AM EST and honestly assuming it'll be up on the dot is probably a fool's assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not until at least 3 AM EST and honestly assuming it'll be up on the dot is probably a fool's assumption.

OK cool thanks. I was puzzled by all the hubbub lol.

Back to spam clicking things to death in ToS

• Locked thread