Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

weirdly this reminds me a lot of hardcore henry. totally different aesthetic and whatnot, but some aspects are oddly similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

the article is right though

That's why I posted it. It's a little unwieldy and I don't really agree with his argument that not wanting to install five different proprietary storefronts makes you a hypocrite but it's a good breakdown of a lot of the anti-consumer and exploitative things they've been ramping up over the years. And it doesn't even touch on the paid mods fiasco or how they're replacing Steam Greenlight with just paying Valve straight-up to get published.

Serf posted:

weirdly this reminds me a lot of hardcore henry. totally different aesthetic and whatnot, but some aspects are oddly similar

Breakdown had the same first-person gimmick (it also beat Half-Life 2 to the punch by months) and it got way weirder with it since the whole plot is super trippy. One of the first things you do in the game is vomit in first-person and also you can do first-person backflips at will. :yeah:

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 17, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

wizard on a water slide posted:

ya, steam is a useful and functional platform and PC gaming needs stuff like that and can't just be the wild west if it wants to compete with consoles and be a large enough market for console devs to release on it, but a lot of gamers have this weird thing with corporations they think are their cool pals because they produce something fun and good and aren't like, the worst employers or exploiters in the economy

the whole disney phenomenon, which also applies to companies like nintendo

Yeah but I already know the companies who make games I like, like them, do plenty of lovely things.

I don't think that's ever really caught up with Valve until recently. Like within the last year or two.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

wizard on a water slide posted:

ya, steam is a useful and functional platform and PC gaming needs stuff like that and can't just be the wild west if it wants to compete with consoles and be a large enough market for console devs to release on it, but a lot of gamers have this weird thing with corporations they think are their cool pals because they produce something fun and good and aren't like, the worst employers or exploiters in the economy

the whole disney phenomenon, which also applies to companies like nintendo

I remember people here used to avoid gog sales because it meant they didnt own the game on steam, oh no

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i refuse to buy a game that doesnt have drm, i will not do it, i will not accept a game that does not restrict my rights or my usage

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah you show em!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theres a stray cat outside. what should i do?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

time to button mash

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium posted:

time to button mash

now i am dead

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Anyone know what the deal with Little Racers STREET is? I just got the $1 tier of the Humble Bundle and as soon as I put in the key for Ziggurat it also put a gift copy of Little Racers STREET in my inventory. :confuoot:

Ya, I got it too and was really confused for a couple minutes; I think it's a game from the same company that did Ziggurat? It's on a bundle right now alongside it: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/460/Milkstone_Studios_Complete_Collection/

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At what point does an outdoor cat become a stray cat?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

At what point does an outdoor cat become a stray cat?

when it strays

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All kitties stray from the path to doghood

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a choice on the cat's part. Like you're a stray the moment your thinking changes

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol like I'm going to stop buying games. :laffo: the very idea! :roflolmao:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Beat Ziggurat on my third run :toot:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Valve is lovely for sure and GOG is a decent alternative but the other two competitors in that space are EA and Microsoft. EA might be one of the most hated company in gaming and when I gave their store a chance, they burned me twice. If DRM and privacy are concerns for PC gamers, I have bad news about the OS that Microsoft is currently selling. Also the current Windows store might actually be worse than MS' last attempt a Windows digital gaming service because this one causes games to perform noticeably worse than if bought from a competitor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Stardock is a thing that exists and it is terrible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what happened to desura are they still kicking around selling games to nobody?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my extremely controversial opinion is that steam and gog are both good, and possibly cool

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol at Origin, at least it isn't as bad as Ubisoft's downloader.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no one gives a poo poo about whether or not valve are "the good guys" valve just monetized being loving easy to buy and download games like any capitalist juggernaut. there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and that article is a big steaming pile of bullshit

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 17, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would argue that the Steam Marketplace and Early Access are steps beyond the usual procedures of distribution for profit

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah valve's done plenty of stuff outside of just bring a storefront that sucks hard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
people who get mad about Steam remind me of people who get mad about Spotify (David Lowery, why you gotta be so cray cray man)

like, "it's better than piracy" is a legitimate defense. the fact that it's a legitimate defense might be sad, but that's human beings for you, that's capitalism, that's the FYGM mentality that most people have.

a free market is ultimately self-defeating if it doesn't have any kind of ethical control, and the number of people who are ethical about money is a small percentage. poo poo, the vast majority of my best friends are way more okay with pirating music and games than i am - i basically never do it, and honestly, that probably qualifies me as being mentally ill :shrug: :wooper: :420:

EDIT: but i do agree that Early Access has... issues, even for a free market

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

courtesy matt bors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

This is a better-written article on this topic that just cuts to the chase and explains the core issues that underlie this in the first place. Platform capitalism, motherfuckers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sonic telling how it REALLY is, as usual.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

psh, don't even loving need you anymore sonic, now that i can play as blonic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How ironic that the best Sonic game is the one where he drives a car

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

courtesy matt bors

i blocked that guy on facebook.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Spoilers for this season of Better Call Saul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^ that's pretty good, the sound effects are perfect

and of course, when i say i'm ethical about money all i mean is i'm dumb enough to want to give money to people who make art i like in the most efficient way possible. i don't mean i give a ton of money to charity. i probably should. maybe? poo poo, i dunno. i'm gonna go play some video games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When it comes to ethical consumption, there are probably several ways to deal with it but I just go with self-hatred.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't really watched much TV in the past couple years but that show seems good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GOG is alright but their client still sucks

it's apparently very hard to make a simple game-launching client for your client that just fuckin works

itch.io's maybe comes the closest but it is a bit of a resource hoarder because the store allows any game to show an animated gif for its icon/logo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Injustice 2 lookin good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfB26XoyZSQ

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is the Telltale GOTG game good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can honestly only think of one game the steam client has hosed up for me, but I only got back into pc gaming 7 years ago and including gift trains and sales I've only got 100 some games and then like a dozen from gog, and pretty much no games that can't be run on a 2013 laptop

• Locked thread