Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

S3 recently went up on Netflix.

Binged the whole season and goddamn Doc continues to be the best thing about this show.

Doc is chill and has the best T-Shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

etalian posted:

Doc is chill and has the best T-Shirts

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Well, drat.
I would say Herschel picked the wrong team, but Team Warren loses new people left, right & centre.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Im still making my way through the third season (just started watching last week after people keep talking about it in the other zombie show thread) and it's pretty enjoyable, more so than that other show. Anyway I think i have like 3 more episodes left so I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't overtly spoil things for me but when does 10k get bitten?

Was it in the submarine or was it back in that house of horrors with the zombie lover/talk show guy? I guess it could have been both especially after Murphy makes his comment about how 10k stopped counting, and I definitely remember a few scenes in the end of season 2 where he killed zombies without counting. Plus the show was focusing on him weirdly in places and he like got no lines anymore.

But I thought he wasn't bitten until he was in the submarine cause binging through the show it didn't seem like Murphy was that kind of an rear end in a top hat. I mean he was, but at the point where he was in that house he seemed like he still cared about the team.

I think there was an episode I watched yesterday though where 10k had a flash back back to that time in the house. Murphy definitely said "it'll all be over soon" which is what he said back in that scene in season two as well.

So submarine or house?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Im still making my way through the third season (just started watching last week after people keep talking about it in the other zombie show thread) and it's pretty enjoyable, more so than that other show. Anyway I think i have like 3 more episodes left so I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't overtly spoil things for me but when does 10k get bitten?

Was it in the submarine or was it back in that house of horrors with the zombie lover/talk show guy? I guess it could have been both especially after Murphy makes his comment about how 10k stopped counting, and I definitely remember a few scenes in the end of season 2 where he killed zombies without counting. Plus the show was focusing on him weirdly in places and he like got no lines anymore.

But I thought he wasn't bitten until he was in the submarine cause binging through the show it didn't seem like Murphy was that kind of an rear end in a top hat. I mean he was, but at the point where he was in that house he seemed like he still cared about the team.

I think there was an episode I watched yesterday though where 10k had a flash back back to that time in the house. Murphy definitely said "it'll all be over soon" which is what he said back in that scene in season two as well.

So submarine or house?

Submarine iirc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did they seriously end the season like that?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did they seriously end the season like that?

To be fair, season 1 ended with literal nuclear hell fire. Seemed there was no way anyone would survive it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Unfortunately I binged through them all so the cliffhanger in S1 wasn't something I even noticed.

I hope we find out more about the zombies though in S4. Up until the scene where she learns how to drive a car from the zombie I was thinking that her giving zombies names and telling Addy their thoughts etc were just her imagination. Just her making up stories and giving them to her toys you know? But if it really turns out that the zombies actually do have thoughts, can communicate, have feelings, feel pain, etc, then that really does change a lot of things. Like Lucy says "they just don't know any better but they're not bad people."

That's giving me a real I Am Legend vibe (the book, not the movie). Just in case the book/movie is a spoiler: in I Am Legend humanity is driven to extinction from a virus/disease and is turned into these vampire beast things. The main character is of course immune to it and is one of the only humans alive at this point. He's also a scientist so he's been working on a cure: capturing vampires, conducting tests on them, killing them, dissecting them, etc. In the end he/we find out that these vampire beasts aren't dumb monsters but are actually in control and have formed a society with what they have left. The "Legend" part of the title refers to the the stories that the vampires tell their children when they go to sleep about myths and such. We tell our children about the Boogeyman coming in the night and snatching bad kids away—they tell theirs about this human snatching away innocent children and experimenting and killing them.

When Roberta saw the kid in the throne room and just sat I was getting a vibe like she was realizing the extent of what Murphy was trying to do and what she was trying to ruin.

Oh well back to the lovely walking dead.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unfortunately I binged through them all so the cliffhanger in S1 wasn't something I even noticed.

I hope we find out more about the zombies though in S4. Up until the scene where she learns how to drive a car from the zombie I was thinking that her giving zombies names and telling Addy their thoughts etc were just her imagination. Just her making up stories and giving them to her toys you know? But if it really turns out that the zombies actually do have thoughts, can communicate, have feelings, feel pain, etc, then that really does change a lot of things. Like Lucy says "they just don't know any better but they're not bad people."

That's giving me a real I Am Legend vibe (the book, not the movie). Just in case the book/movie is a spoiler: in I Am Legend humanity is driven to extinction from a virus/disease and is turned into these vampire beast things. The main character is of course immune to it and is one of the only humans alive at this point. He's also a scientist so he's been working on a cure: capturing vampires, conducting tests on them, killing them, dissecting them, etc. In the end he/we find out that these vampire beasts aren't dumb monsters but are actually in control and have formed a society with what they have left. The "Legend" part of the title refers to the the stories that the vampires tell their children when they go to sleep about myths and such. We tell our children about the Boogeyman coming in the night and snatching bad kids away—they tell theirs about this human snatching away innocent children and experimenting and killing them.

When Roberta saw the kid in the throne room and just sat I was getting a vibe like she was realizing the extent of what Murphy was trying to do and what she was trying to ruin.

Oh well back to the lovely walking dead.

One of the big points of the show is Murphy hearing the thoughts of the zombies and freaking out when the team kills them, it's well established.

e: I was barely awake when I posted that earlier and it seems kinda hostile, none meant. Goon love to all.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 16, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Barreft posted:

One of the big points of the show is Murphy hearing the thoughts of the zombies and freaking out when the team kills them, it's well established.

"We were never anywhere near the Grand Canyon."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Error 404 posted:

"We were never anywhere near the Grand Canyon."

Had to google to see what you meant, and yeah that's the episode I was specifically thinking about.
I found this while googling, doesn't show the Murphy reaction but drat I love the song they used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ab-CCr9Ap4

Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr88fnH6F4M

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Im totally going to find a way to troll the TWD thread with this. How long until that show has the main cast luring zombie hordes to their death?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sammus posted:

Im totally going to find a way to troll the TWD thread with this. How long until that show has the main cast luring zombie hordes to their death?

I think they tried to do it with a coal mine or something? I forget but it was really stupid and took like the whole season to kill maybe 50 zombies.

Again, just another thing Z-Nation did better.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

They tried to lure them out of a quarry where they were well contained, through a natural chokepoint that they did not utilize, to turn them lose in the woods. Then botched this really bad plan.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Remy Marathe posted:

They tried to lure them out of a quarry where they were well contained, through a natural chokepoint that they did not utilize, to turn them lose in the woods. Then botched this really bad plan.

All the cars they lined up on the road to guide the zombies could have been used to block them in the quarry.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hi. After seeing this show mentioned ad nauseum in the TWD threads, I decided to give it a go.

Just finished watching S1 of this on Netflix and just came in to say :stare: that last episode jesus christ

For something with both "SyFy" and "The Asylum" in its credits, this show has no business being this good.

Onwards!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've mentioned this before, but one of the reasons why Asylum productions are what they are is shooting pace. They very rarely do more than one take. This becomes less of an issue when shooting a series as the cast and crew settle into a groove and you would naturally need fewer takes.

That's my theory anyways.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bruteman posted:

Hi. After seeing this show mentioned ad nauseum in the TWD threads, I decided to give it a go.

Just finished watching S1 of this on Netflix and just came in to say :stare: that last episode jesus christ

For something with both "SyFy" and "The Asylum" in its credits, this show has no business being this good.

Onwards!

Please come back and let us know what you think of the next seasons too!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Finished watching S2.

On the one hand, it felt sort of disorienting compared to S1 (nukes fell, so what. Now we're doing a badass urban warfare episode. Now we're budget "Fury Road." etc.) but it also felt like they got rid of most of the boring stuff or what wasn't working and just started throwing everything against the wall to see what stuck. And I think they hit more than they missed.

How does TWD (and really I mean the first season of FTWD) gently caress up the "here's what happened at the start of the apocalypse" stuff so badly while this show bangs it out in what is essentially a goddamn filler episode and still manages to make it a somewhat tense, scary affair even though you know the characters live? How?

Glad they got rid of Mack, his whole thing was "ADDY" and it sucked (I also don't really care for Addy). Too bad about Cassandra but they sort of wrote her into a corner.

Zona giving me Fallout Enclave vibes.

Wasn't feeling Vasquez at first but at the end I liked him (and I thought he had the most legit heartwrenching moment in the "Day One" episode). I also liked Escorpion. But I didn't like how they miraculously had him survive and that whole bit with he and Vasquez in the restaurant at the end just felt tacked on. I mean I like the actor and I think the character is interesting but (after going back and reading the S2 thread it looks like some people agreed) it felt like the Zeroes/Mexico stuff was going to be the season ender and then they tagged on those last two episodes so they brought him back.

Murphy and Warren really make the heart of the show, which is unsurprising because I think they're the best actors on it. Murphy is a really great character, he really sells the whole conflict of just wanting to save his own rear end but eventually having empathy for the rest of the team (and the Zs) and not quite knowing how to do it.

I'm just impressed with how the show is so goddamn goofy but it still manages to pull out moments that impress, either in terms of action (the entirety of "White Light," fighting the fire zombies intro in "Corporate Retreat") and drama (Murphy's inner monologue in "Day One," Addy beating the poo poo out of Murphy in frustration at the end at "White Light").

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bruteman posted:

Murphy and Warren really make the heart of the show, which is unsurprising because I think they're the best actors on it. Murphy is a really great character, he really sells the whole conflict of just wanting to save his own rear end but eventually having empathy for the rest of the team (and the Zs) and not quite knowing how to do it.

You mean Doc. Doc is truly the heart and soul of Z Nation.

bull3964 posted:

I've mentioned this before, but one of the reasons why Asylum productions are what they are is shooting pace. They very rarely do more than one take. This becomes less of an issue when shooting a series as the cast and crew settle into a groove and you would naturally need fewer takes.

That's my theory anyways.

I don't think Asylum gets enough credit. People see the name and think "ewww lovely syfy movies" but really, they have a lot of experience with doing things on the cheap that other studios would spend shitloads of money on. They also get a TON of experience because of how many movies they pump out, which can't hurt.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 29, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't normally follow actors on Twitter so I don't know if it's normal but the actors on this show tweet about it constantly. A little less now that it's between seasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The people on The Magicians do often as well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bruteman posted:

Zona giving me Fallout Enclave vibes.

This is an excellent comparison, dang

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bruteman posted:

Onwards!

Welcome to the club!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So when do we get season 4? Because goddamn I need my fix man.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably around September or early October

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

All 3 seasons have been a Sept-Dec run so I would expect the same for S4

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Just finished watching S3. I think they hosed up somewhat here.

I didn't like how they split everyone up - granted, it had to happen to do the "Murphy forms his own society" plotline, which I liked, but then on top of that they split the remaining group up again. I feel like the show is at its best when everyone is together to bounce everyone off of each other.

There were way too many filler episodes. Sorry, I know the thread likes Doc, but yikes. I'll make an exception for Election Day, Sketchy and Skeezy are great and I love that they keep surviving and coming back.

Characterization was all over the place. I griped about this with Hector's sudden about-turn at the end of S2, and they kept doing it this season. Warren's actions between Heart of Darkness and Siege of Murphytown, and how quickly she and Murphy made up at the end of that one, just felt wrong. Wasn't it just hinted at in S2 that she and Vasquez had a relationship? Here it's just she kills him then gets super cold. Addy's protectiveness for Lucy took her straight from "sarcastic one-liner lady" to "lady Terminator" between They Grow Up so Quickly and Duel. Even The Man, who I thought was a neat villain and addition to the show, wasn't safe - he goes from super annoyed with Lucy to almost paternal protection over three episodes. Maybe if they had taken some of the Doc filler episodes and given some more time to all of that other stuff, it wouldn't feel so rushed and unnatural.

Sun Mei, Red, 5K, eh, they barely did anything with them. I wish they would have kept Hector (is that dude coming back? His actor is starring in a spin off of Sons of Anarchy, isn't he?)

I actually really like 10K, and I think the whole relationship with he and Murphy could have been really cool and it was just kind of meh instead. It was better than what they did to Cassandra, but it kind of felt like they didn't know how to keep getting him out from under or able to fight Murphy's control and just went :shrug:

Siege of Murphytown should have been great but the whole thing just felt rushed. It had a few effective moments but the Red Hand "army" was pathetic, especially after they spent the first half of the season showing that they were scary as poo poo. It didn't feel right that they just quickly tossed aside Hope and Murphy brushed off her death, given how much time they gave she and Will this season and how grateful they were to Murphy. Citizen Z showing up in person and then loving off again just felt like a stunt.

I liked the whole thing with Lucy where it's shown there might be more to the Zs than just eating people. Grandpa Z was great, I was sad when they shot him. I laughed at the cliffhanger, that was some ridiculous poo poo.

So yeah. I think there were good episodes this season, or ones that were partly great, but it was nowhere near as fun or written as well as S2. But at least I'm caught up now!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bruteman posted:

There were way too many filler episodes. Sorry, I know the thread likes Doc, but yikes. I'll make an exception for Election Day, Sketchy and Skeezy are great and I love that they keep surviving and coming back.

They're my favourite little bit of flavour in this show. That there are other survivors you can run into like "Hey, you guys again! What the gently caress have you been up to??" and you know it isn't going to go antagonistic, or that they have some plan to screw the team over.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The writing has always been convenient to the episode plot and character motivations are questionable. I right it off as Roberta being lost without a mission, what it is doesn't matter as long as someone is telling her what to do. Doc is along for the ride. Addy is maturing from teen to adult but is also struggling to find motivation to keep going after losing Mac(?). Was that his name? Murphy is just tired of everyone's poo poo.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

wormil posted:

The writing has always been convenient to the episode plot and character motivations are questionable.

Yeah, I know you're right. It just seemed to flow better before this season.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I think they didn't have the budget to pay every one to be in every episode. So a ton of side stories of either single/duo with done one off returning characters.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Just finished watching season 3, can't wait for season 4. It's ridiculous how this show manages to do so many things in a much more entertaining fashion than TWD, which I've basically given up on at this point.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Just gave the Z-Nation comic a go, it is not great. Less crazy than the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just finished watching season 3, can't wait for season 4. It's ridiculous how this show manages to do so many things in a much more entertaining fashion than TWD, which I've basically given up on at this point.

Maybe the biggest difference is it's actually fun instead of being grim dark and the cast seems to enjoy being in the show/around each other.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

etalian posted:

Maybe the biggest difference is it's actually fun instead of being grim dark and the cast seems to enjoy being in the show/around each other.

Yep, pretty much. It's not perfect but it's fun and the crew having a blast just makes it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZzpAqRltI

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Kind of necro'ing this thread but a friend got me into Z-Nation and I'm working through the first season, fun show. It gives me Ash vs. Evil Dead vibes with the campiness and gore.

I'm on ep 8 of the first season where Yuri is introduced. I can't decide whether Yuri and DJ Qualls are going to gently caress or whether Yuri turns out to be a spy. Don't spoil it for me :v:

e: lol I totally thought they were gonna kiss and get naked based on the first few scenes.

either that or this is some very kinky interrogation foreplay

ok finished the episode. that was actually a really loving well done (and homoerotic) hallucination sequence.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Since you necro'd the thread going off of some new posts on instagram from cast and crew it looks like season 4 is about to start shooting if it hasn't already.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably. Keith Allan posts a lot but he posts a lot more during filming and he's been hanging with Doc lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And Kellita Smith dyed her hair blonde for some reason that I'm sure has no bearing on the plot

• Locked thread