Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This subplot where Riker seduces a sim woman he made for the express purpose of being seduced is loving funny.

Whoa, is he a parody of Kirk?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa, is he a parody of Kirk?

No, he was supposed to be the Kirk, or at least the half of Kirk that got into crazy escapades and romanced aliens. They might've slipped in the odd bit of self-awareness but generally it stuck to that formula, albeit mellowed out a bit in the second season and beyond.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Riker may be my favorite TNG character. He's so drat likable!

I love the Klingon exchange program episode where they're giving him poo poo in the mess hall and he turns it around a little too well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

I'm going to say it, V is my favourite Star Trek film, and I don't understand why it's so disliked.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, a young Star Trek fan in the 80s, but here's my take, filtered by my adult self:

--By that time I had been a ST fan for about 5 years. I missed seeing IV in the theaters, but saw every episode of TOS, had read tons of the novels, had the technical manuals (Franz Joseph, Mr Scott's Guide, and the FASA TNG), and was already a fan when TNG premiered and religiously watched every episode

--I'd seen the TMP-IV. I thought TMP was boring, but II-IV were awesome and told a coherent, continuing story. I was very eager to see a new adventure with that cast. I was hoping for some sort of life altering experience, my first Star Trek film in a theater. Would it be an awesome space adventure? Would it have insights into the mysterious void between TOS and TNG?

--First thing was the theme. I loved the music Horner did on the last few, and was hotly anticipating some awesome new music. "Oh cool, it's starting with a callback to the TOS theme like TWOK...OH NEVER MIND, IT'S JUST THE GODDAMN TNG VERSION OF THE TMP THEME :mad:

--Then we have Spock's brother out of nowhere. Seriously, why did we never hear he had a brother? And he's some emotional Vulcan?

--A lot of the humor fell flat for young me. Maybe now it would be different, but it seemed like they were going hard towards the humor direction they'd had so much success with on IV and trying way too hard

--I found the whole plot to be a little dull. Contrast with VI, which in my mind was (and still is) a return to form

--And yes, spergy young me found the cavalier canon stuff annoying like the Bridge being "Deck 78" when according to Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise it's clearly Deck 1 and there's only 24 decks and no I totally can laugh that off now because it's just a show and I can relax as you can see by my posts in this thread about "phase pistols" and viewscreeens on Enterprise, as well as Discovery uniforms and :suicide:

Yeah.

Anyway, I'll admit I haven't watched it in a few years, and I might have a new appreciation, but I doubt I'd ever rank it above VI or even III. But I will always admit "What does God need with a Starship?" will always be cool.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was massively predisposed to like V because I read the novelization beforehand and could project my good feelings toward it onto the film when I finally got around to watching it. It did not live up to my self hype, but I still liked it, and still like it more than I probably should.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Astroman posted:

--Then we have Spock's brother out of nowhere. Seriously, why did we never hear he had a brother? And he's some emotional Vulcan?

You don't remember Spocko?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFfmnu34rs

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
NOW THAT'S A STAR TREK!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope the next Star Trek features tons of barrel rolls and people getting uppercut. Perhaps even an exploding person and a wisecrackin' Australian villain who cusses a lot.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Too Short a Season now. Why the hell did the ybase an entire episode around this awful guest actor.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Too Short a Season now. Why the hell did the ybase an entire episode around this awful guest actor.

Fun fact: Jameson's wheelchair was a huge clusterfuck during the production of the episode. It cost $10,000 in 1987 money to build and never really worked right, so they had to kinda shoot around it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I think I remember reading that the original script of "Too Short a Season" featured Wesley giving the admiral, who didn't die, a tour of the ship. I can only imagine how awful that would have been.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The terrible guest star is a Trek tradition. Production schedules being what they were, they rarely had time to recast even if someone was obviously terrible. I'll never forget Data going to the radiation planet and meeting the world's most wooden man.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

King Hong Kong posted:

I think I remember reading that the original script of "Too Short a Season" featured Wesley giving the admiral, who didn't die, a tour of the ship. I can only imagine how awful that would have been.

HOly poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's with this weird knowing glance Data wordlessly gives Geordi at the end

"I, too, was not in this episode."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Good God, look at Data lounging in that chair. No wonder the rarely shot from that angle.

E: Also Geordie's looking a little paunchy there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Duckbag posted:

E: Also Geordie's looking a little paunchy there.

It's the chair. Look at his posture!

No wonder everyone was getting back problems, the ergonomics division of Starfleet is loving incompetent.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I've sat in those chairs before (at a near perfect recreation of the TNG bridge at a traveling science center exhibit many years ago), and can confirm their uncomfortable nature.

Captains chair was comfy and boss as hell, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gonz posted:

I've sat in those chairs before (at a near perfect recreation of the TNG bridge at a traveling science center exhibit many years ago), and can confirm their uncomfortable nature.

Captains chair was comfy and boss as hell, though.

Were the chairs really modeled after the first season chairs, though? I think they ditched the ultra-recliners in either second or third season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

Fun fact: Jameson's wheelchair was a huge clusterfuck during the production of the episode. It cost $10,000 in 1987 money to build and never really worked right, so they had to kinda shoot around it.

Yeah, it was such a failure that for years afterward people in the props department would say "...this isn't going to be another chair, is it?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

The terrible guest star is a Trek tradition. Production schedules being what they were, they rarely had time to recast even if someone was obviously terrible. I'll never forget Data going to the radiation planet and meeting the world's most wooden man.

Yeah I think the only times guest stars were recast in Trek were when they straight-up did not show up for work..

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, it was such a failure that for years afterward people in the props department would say "...this isn't going to be another chair, is it?"

At least one person probably broke out in cold sweats when Melora came up on DS9.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Were the chairs really modeled after the first season chairs, though? I think they ditched the ultra-recliners in either second or third season.

The chair I sat in looked exactly like the ones in that photo.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

It's the chair. Look at his posture!

No wonder everyone was getting back problems, the ergonomics division of Starfleet is loving incompetent.

Yeah that's kinda TNG production design in a nut shell. It all just looks so uncomfortable, but in a lovely corporate way that's actually worse than military austerity.

Standing stations you have to lean over to use, full body tights with no pockets, no seat belts, no arm rests, nowhere to set things down, random barriers and level changes to trip over crossing the bridge, lights in everyone's faces, chairs Riker and Worf are obviously too tall for, and beds that don't seem to come with blankets or pillows. Sure the have lovely hotel carpeting and little potted plants everywhere, but there's nowhere on the ship that actually seems comfortable, relaxing, or lived in.

The observation lounge looks like every stuffy conference room on the planet (complete with a table that's too big for the room and a presentation area that the staff has to turn around or look over people to see). Even Ten Forward reminds me of nothing so much as those lovely airport bars where eight bucks gets you a lukewarm Guiness and a place to charge your phone.

I'm half convinced that the TNG crew is so stiff because all the normal people transfered to somewhere more hospitable like DS9 or went nuts like Barclay.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 17, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Spot on points. Worf's room is the only TNG room that looks remotely close to actually having someone live in it, since at least he decorates with Klingon stuff. Everything else looks like a hotel, not someone's living quarters.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's a life or death starship battle and those are the chairs the Conn and Ops crew are in? Those are literally built to fall asleep in.

Another bullshit TNG thing from early on. Luckily they did fix it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the looks of what could have been for the Ent-D bridge. Some of these are truly cruise ship-y.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Second one looks like an airline's business-class lounge.

The big area in the back with the plants is pretty clearly the free sandwich/salad/drinks bar. And that flatpanel in the meeting area clearly shows departures/arrivals, or is tuned to CNN International 24/7.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

So many more areas to pack molten slag, rocks and sparks into!

And a DIY sundae bar near tactical, as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do like the idea of an observation area where people can watch exploration! happen, although it really wouldn't have worked on TV. On the other hand, it actually probably would've solved a lot of flow problems if they'd had a kind of conference/situation table on the main bridge: when they're in the middle of poo poo like the Borg in Q-Who, Picard would be all 'officers, come here' and they'd all huddle over the table without abandoning the bridge.

There's a lot of early concepts for the Enterprise-D that are pretty cool.

one is that there would've been lots of little rooms like this:

which would've been used for stuff like the poker games or Troi & Crusher Do Weird Stretches. But they cheaped out and went with more generic sets.

Another is that the big lounge wasn't going to be at the very front of the saucer, but rather these cut-ins:

with the big one at the front as the main lounge, and the idea was that you'd just be able to move the set walls in to only have two windows instead of four and you could say that it was one of the other smaller communal lounges on port or starboard. Or take out the chairs and have a non-lounge spaces but reusing the same walls and windows; say that one of those two-window lounges is a permanent theatre space instead, for example. As opposed to just always using ten-forward despite the ship ostensibly having shittons of different spaces and rooms.

It's a bit like how they actually built the officer's quarters set so that they could turn the big tilted windows upside down and say it was being quarters on the underside of the saucer instead, but they never actually used it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 17, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That reminds me of that awesome-looking deck-by-deck build of the Ent-D that someone was doing in Unreal Engine, based loosely on the blueprints that were released. There were little chillout rooms like that ALL over the place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Spot on points. Worf's room is the only TNG room that looks remotely close to actually having someone live in it, since at least he decorates with Klingon stuff. Everything else looks like a hotel, not someone's living quarters.

And even he had that stupid ball chair

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's go concept art hog wild.

Sickbay Plus:

This shuttle was impossible to physically model with 80s tech:

How he wanted the E-D to dock with spacedock without just saying 'it's bigger now':

The famous Cetacean Ops:

I really like the viewscreen on this

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 17, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

The famous Cetacean Ops:

I'm disappointed the dolphins aren't wearing uniforms, since that's how I always pictured them :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

I'm disappointed the dolphins aren't wearing uniforms, since that's how I always pictured them :colbert:

I've always said they should've stuck a plant with a commbadge and red ribbon with pips in the background of a few scenes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Didn't some of the DS9 characters refer to a plant officer that we never saw?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

VitalSigns posted:

Didn't some of the DS9 characters refer to a plant officer that we never saw?

I vaguely remember this, also referring to the plantperson as a male who was also pregnant? I think? Had little sproutlings or something?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There was some kind of really weird-looking ensign who had a complex reproductive cycle and who got discussed in passing by Bashir and Sisko at least a couple of times.I also think Dax dated him, or at least one of his species.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

I vaguely remember this, also referring to the plantperson as a male who was also pregnant? I think? Had little sproutlings or something?

Yeah, "Ensign Something or Other is budding again" was I believe the line one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

There was some kind of really weird-looking ensign who had a complex reproductive cycle and who got discussed in passing by Bashir and Sisko at least a couple of times.I also think Dax dated him, or at least one of his species.

No, Dax dated Captain Boday, whose head was transparent.