Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of leaving a familiar face in the TARDIS when a new doctor comes along, whose to say that Bill being gay doesn't lead to a possible romance angle with the new Doctor? :getin:

I think won't happen because the new Doctor almost certainly isn't going to be a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
That wasn't bad. Not the best episode of this series but I'm giving it points for being explicitly anticapitalist. Christ the "twist" at the end, though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

spectralent posted:

That wasn't bad. Not the best episode of this series but I'm giving it points for being explicitly anticapitalist. Christ the "twist" at the end, though.

It's kind of silly that it had to be a twist in the first place. If they had just pointed it out early on, nothing would have been lost. Making the solution to the problem the actual reveal would have probably worked a lot better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It would have been so much better if they'd lost the I'M STILL BLIIIIIIIIIND stinger at the end. Just the Doctor repeatedly telling Nardole that he couldn't look at him and leaving us to wonder and speculate would have been way more effective.

Still a pretty solid episode, if not Matheson's finest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a good twist for the younger members of the audience. I don't think it's too patronising or anything to spell it out like that when you have younger viewers in mind.

I suspect that if I was wee and watched this episode I would've been pretty impressed when the screen went black and the Doctor said, "I'm still blind!" :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's a good cliffhanger for people who won't necessarily watch next week. It's a crummy cliffhanger if you're a nerd who is guaranteed to watch Doctor Who no matter how much you think it sucks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I think the Doctor actually saying he's still blind is a bit of a clumsy cliffhanger, especially with how kinda hammy they were about it, but I do think they had to be explicit about it. If they didn't say it, we probably would've just assumed that he 'couldn't look at Nardole' because he knows what he's saying is totally right and that he has to take his responsibility a little more seriously. And 'show, don't tell' is a very obvious answer, but the way that scene is set up (until he confides it to Nardole, only the Doctor himself knows he's blind) there's no way to do that that isn't straight out of a comedy. They had to have him say it just to make it both very clear and maintain the dramatic impact it's supposed to.

Blindness is a really hard disability to show in a way that's both clear what it is and not inherently comedic. Especially since, as the rest of the episode showed, the Doctor's not used to it and needs a lot of help.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Showing somebody newly dealing with blindness is also laden with a whole bunch of issues if you want to be sensitive about the topic, and neither the goofy laffs nor the hit-you-over-the-head-with-sentiment approaches that Who often employs are great fits for doing that, which is why I wish it had been a temporary thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's a good twist for the younger members of the audience. I don't think it's too patronising or anything to spell it out like that when you have younger viewers in mind.

I suspect that if I was wee and watched this episode I would've been pretty impressed when the screen went black and the Doctor said, "I'm still blind!" :shrug:

"LOOK AT ME!"

"I CAN'T, I'M DIFFERENTLY ABLED!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

"LOOK AT ME!"

"I CAN'T, I'M DIFFERENTLY ABLED!"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"Look at me!"
"I can't look at anything ever again!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoHGTzqJTM0

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Oh that's right, "We can't see anything. EVER." is from The Farnsworth Parabox.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh that's right, "We can't see anything. EVER." is from The Farnsworth Parabox.

You can't like... own quotes, man.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh God all of Doctor Who is just an episode of The Scary Door!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next episode had better involve a strange mirror.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YOU WATCHED IT
YOU CAN'T UN-WATCH IT
(It being In The Forest of the Night)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

docbeard posted:

YOU WATCHED IT
YOU CAN'T UN-WATCH IT
(It being In The Forest of the Night)

Oh yeah, i remember that good episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Oh God all of Doctor Who is just an episode of The Scary Door!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what might possibly be fun if it happens? If Jenna Coleman makes some recordings for Big Finish, except she's playing different versions of Clara from throughout history and interacting with Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what might possibly be fun if it happens? If Jenna Coleman makes some recordings for Big Finish, except she's playing different versions of Clara from throughout history and interacting with Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann.

Time Lord Clara from the start of Name popping up in a Gallifrey set.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would be down for this. Though the only one I can remember is the sixties looking Clara hanging around in corridors with Six and the one that pointed Hartnell to the right Tardis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a simple man and I don't ask for much, all I want is River Song being chased away from Totter's Lane by a suspicious and belligerent 1st Doctor :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a simple man and I don't ask for much, all I want is River Song being chased away from Totter's Lane by a suspicious and belligerent 1st Doctor :3:

Or, even better, coming across her and her gang, all WHAT ARE YOU YOUNG PEOPLE DOING IN MY TARDIS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nice piece in the Grauniad about the current season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Interesting article, I do disagree re: Clara though, I thought she had far better chemistry with Capaldi than she did with Smith (apart from their last couple of stories together where they really seemed to be starting to gel) and I liked their relationship. I also still think season 8 is right up there, I only really prefer season 5 and 4 over it respectively, though if 10 keeps up this quality it's probably going to eclipse 8 and be close to 4 at the very least.

Bill is great though and I hope she isn't just doing the one season.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of Bill, apparently tumblr fans get really salty when you say that Bill is a lesbian, because of the t-shirt she wore in Smile is more suggestive of her sexuality than, you know, dialogue explicitly saying she's a gay lesbian who's into women… homosexually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are they mad because they want her to be bi? Like, I get bi erasure is a thing, but they've been pretty clear that this is the first openly lesbian character.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty much.

I mean, bi erasure is a thing, but Christ, Jack's explicitly bi, River's had two wives, and Clara also enjoys the company of women on occasion. Doctor Who is the last place to complain about bi erasure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Jack says he's "omnisexual", which tends to amount to the same thing, but they explicitly didn't say "bi".

Also, I think people are reacting to Bill's line from Knock Knock about "mostly" preferring girls

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

No, it's actually the t-shirt.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the deal with people on tumblr complaining about sexuality

Ignore them. Ignore the gently caress out of them. The vast majority of people there either don't care or are fine with it. Only the loud ones get noticed, and they're loud for very bad reasons. They don't like it because it's wrong, they don't like it because it's not what they want.

The new season of Samurai Jack is a good example for this. There's a straight relationship on that show that got a very small, but very loud, part of tumblr up in arms as well as some others. You can not LIKE it, but generally the reasons they give for not liking it do not equate to it actually being wrong- just not what they wanted.

Some of them are also pretty young and say some stupid poo poo that they'll regret later on when they look back on it.

People can get very hyperbolic on the internet when they think others are paying attention to their opinions and ideas, and feel the need to play up every perceived injustice as a great crime to rail against.

Kind of like college kids in the (Put Decade Here)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

See also: the fact that a great deal of Tumblr get upset that Sam and Dean Winchester don't gently caress each other with dog penises.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, Burkion's right, it's always the tiny, vocal part of the community that attracts the attention, like the people who watched Once Upon a Time and literally would harass Lana Parilla at conventions because the show creators chose not to make Emma and Regina have a relationship together. Sometimes they're people with legitimate concerns choosing the entirely wrong place to vent all of them into and sometimes they're flat-out just trolls pretending to be the former just to rile people up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

The new season of Samurai Jack is a good example for this. There's a straight relationship on that show that got a very small, but very loud, part of tumblr up in arms as well as some others. You can not LIKE it, but generally the reasons they give for not liking it do not equate to it actually being wrong- just not what they wanted.

Wait, people are mad about that relationship? Jack and Ashi are adorable together! :psyduck:

ed: Wow, holy poo poo I'm glad I dropped out of the Samurai Jack thread after the premiere. There's people claiming Tartakovsky has gone full Lucas and the new season has been total poo poo since the forest fight. Are they even watching the same show?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 17, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, people are mad about that relationship? Jack and Ashi are adorable together! :psyduck:

ed: Wow, holy poo poo I'm glad I dropped out of the Samurai Jack thread after the premiere. There's people claiming Tartakovsky has gone full Lucas and the new season has been total poo poo since the forest fight. Are they even watching the same show?

I have not looked at the Samurai Jack thread because generally I do not trust SA threads about animated properties.

It goes to poo poo one way or the other!

And yeah man, I don't get it either

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jack x Scotsman OTP.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

Here's the deal with people on tumblr

Ignore them. Ignore the gently caress out of them.

Good advice

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OK, I'm sorry for asking here, but better here than anywhere on the Internet.

The gently caress is "bi erasure?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's ignoring/denying bisexuality in favor of ascribing a rigid gay/straight dichotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; a lot of bi people get pigeonholed as "you're straight but doing things with other guys/girls for attention" or "you're gay but don't want the stigma" or whatever. Or, if a bi person is in a long term monogamous relationship, they often get asked "so you aren't actually bi? You're gay/straight?" (Depending on the gender of the partner)

• Locked thread