Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I only mod my phone with copious amounts of grip tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

:sweatdrop:

I'm a woman, and if I were stubborn, I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all. This is what I was looking for:

-under $200
-not used
-Android
-a microSD slot

I didn't see any other options, but I'm certainly open to them. I haven't received the phone yet, but again, I'm more willing to return it if it turns out to be complete garbage.

edit: also, for what it's worth, I shopped around for weeks. It's entirely possible that I was looking in the wrong place.

You likely were looking in the wrong place if your best option was a 3 years old phone. There are a ton of phones put out in the last year that fit those marks for you. The popular choice is likely the Moto G4 (or Moto G5 if you've got Amazon Prime).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

unless you have phone sickness.

don't doxx pls

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cage-free egghead posted:

Moto G4 (or Moto G5 if you've got Amazon Prime).

I'm not entirely sure how these phones never came across my radar, they both look great and the price on the Moto G5 is basically unbeatable (I have Prime). The lockscreen ads appear to be the biggest negative, and they are seemingly easy to remove.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm not entirely sure how these phones never came across my radar, they both look great and the price on the Moto G5 is basically unbeatable (I have Prime). The lockscreen ads appear to be the biggest negative, and they are seemingly easy to remove.

The consensus last time we discussed this was that most people don't even notice them. Supposedly if you have a single notification then the ad is just another notification at the bottom.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Fair enough, but I understand being against seeing lockscreen ads for apps that you didn't actively choose to install. Either way, if they're easy to disable/remove, it's no big deal.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Fair enough, but I understand being against seeing lockscreen ads for apps that you didn't actively choose to install. Either way, if they're easy to disable/remove, it's no big deal.

I believe you can also just pay a bit more for the version without ads, if it is a big deal for you.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They've had lockscreen ads in the past that were pretty cool, like free $10 to spend on kindle books or whatever

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, lockscreen ads are no big deal. I've actually had a few really good book recommendations on my Kindle and Fire tablet. It's weird to say, but sometimes personalized marketing can be...cool?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Between the G5+ and the Pixel, it's hard to see recommending anything else. I know, everyone thinks they're the special edge case but for 99% of people the G5+ is the phone for them unless money is no object. I'd really recommend the G5+ over a Pixel most of the time because while the Pixel is incredible, you could upgrade the G-series every year you'll get out of a Pixel for less money. However as soon as you've convinced yourself that you want to spend more than the G5+ costs, step up to the Pixel or go home, there's no point looking anywhere else.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Bought my mother a new phone for her bithday/mother's day since her Droid X was biting the dust. She has a brand new Moto G5 Plus with Android 7.0 on it. She can make calls and send MMS text messages, but for the life of me I can not figure out why she can not receive MMS at all. Her APN settings are exactly the same as on my Moto X Style/Pure.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 17, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SlayVus posted:

Bought my mother a new phone for her bithday/mother's day since her Droid X was biting the dust. She has a brand new Moto G5 Plus with Android 7.0 on it. She can make calls and send MMS text messages, but for the life of me I can not figure out why she can not receive MMS at all. Her APN settings are exactly the same as on my Moto X Style/Pure.

Is she trying to download the messages over WiFi? If so, turn it off and use mobile data to grab the message.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is she trying to download the messages over WiFi? If so, turn it off and use mobile data to grab the message.

I inserted my SIM into her phone and was able to send an receive on her phone using my SIM. When I put her SIM back in she still could only send, but not receive MMS.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm only recommending pixels to folks at this point, because of he unlimited Google drive photo/video storage for Pixel stuff.

Chucked well over 100 gigs into that in the last 6 months.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If it weren't for Lenovo's lovely record with software/security updates, I would have gotten a G5+. As it is though, the Pixel is your only choice if you want regular security patches on Android.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Droid Z and Pixel spent a good chunk of last month on the same security patch level.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Since the G4 came out, Lenovo has been up to 6 months behind on security patches. The phone is barely a year old. They've also gone on the record saying they won't commit to monthly security patches for any of their phones, even flagships. I mean they're not worse than other vendors, but that's not a high bar.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I inserted my SIM into her phone and was able to send an receive on her phone using my SIM. When I put her SIM back in she still could only send, but not receive MMS.

What carrier? It's an AT&T MVNO, isn't it?

Inept posted:

If it weren't for Lenovo's lovely record with software/security updates, I would have gotten a G5+. As it is though, the Pixel is your only choice if you want regular security patches on Android.

As much as it pains me to say it, Samsung does a pretty good job of security updates as far as I'm aware.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm also a Windows Phone person that finally moved away from that platform last month. For what it's worth, I went with a Moto G5+ and aside from wishing the screen were a bit smaller I'm really happy with it. I still kind of miss the WP interface but it's nice having apps available too.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Call the carrier, there's likely something that didn't get activated correctly during the upgrade/SIM update.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Frohike999 posted:

I'm also a Windows Phone person that finally moved away from that platform last month. For what it's worth, I went with a Moto G5+ and aside from wishing the screen were a bit smaller I'm really happy with it. I still kind of miss the WP interface but it's nice having apps available too.

I love big screens so it really sounds like the G5+ would have been perfect for me. Ah well.

I will definitely miss the WP interface too, although I'm sure I'll get used to the Android interface quickly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

YeahTubaMike posted:

I love big screens so it really sounds like the G5+ would have been perfect for me. Ah well.

It's not too late!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My phone is arriving today though! I could always just order the G5+, use the M8 in the interim, and then return the M8 once the G5+ arrives... :effort:

edit: oh god am I a goon in a well

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 17, 2017

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Merry IOmas goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VF8tmLFHw

75 mins to go

Liveblogs:

The Verge
Ars
WIRED

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Christ, Samsung keeps getting worse. After the most recent update, they changed the low power notification to a pop-up that covers 3/4 of the screen and, about 1 out of 4 times, the "dismiss" button is missing for me so the only way to get rid of it is to remove the battery because the pop-up covers the power-off options when you hold the power button down.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

tadashi posted:

Christ, Samsung keeps getting worse. After the most recent update, they changed the low power notification to a pop-up that covers 3/4 of the screen and, about 1 out of 4 times, the "dismiss" button is missing for me so the only way to get rid of it is to remove the battery because the pop-up covers the power-off options when you hold the power button down.

My wife's phone did this last night. What a shitshow. It wouldn't even respond to the hold power button shutoff. Had to plug it in to make it go away.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My replacement G4 Play which arrived late last week is already having GPS problems again :wtc:

I know I should wait for the Pixel 2 since it's coming relatively soon and the regular Pixel is still full price but ugh. Maybe I'll just go back to my original Moto X.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tadashi posted:

What phone do you have? Samsung flagships haven't had removable batteries in a long time and that behaviour does not occur on my S7/S8

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung is calling the refurb Note 7 devices "Fan Edition."

Good on them for putting device safety instructions right in the name.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bull3964 posted:

Samsung is calling the refurb Note 7 devices "Fan Edition."

Good on them for putting device safety instructions right in the name.

:thurman:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Are there certain type-c cables I should look for on amazon for fast charging my 5X or are they all good now? I dont really want to drop like $40 at google just to make sure it works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KoB posted:

Are there certain type-c cables I should look for on amazon for fast charging my 5X or are they all good now? I dont really want to drop like $40 at google just to make sure it works.

The AmazonBasics cables are good and certified (iirc) and cheap

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The AmazonBasics ones are good and cheap.

Got some recently after they were Benson approved and they are the only ones I've bought that aren't ridiculously expensive that have the good clicky feeling when inserting into my 5X and start charging it immediately without wiggling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It just started.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A bubble shruggie on the screen, it sure is 2017 all right.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well this is loving stupid. I'll post again when its not just this stupid bubbles thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The bubble game is cool, do it on your phone.

loving blue team, though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I guess its starting? Something different is happening now at least.

edit: yeah its started

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 17, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well poo poo, that fence removal in the photo was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't wanna be a dick and spam stuff here but I can't find a TVIV style live thread, is it okay if we post about I/O here?