Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Orv posted:

Yeah, "Ensign Something or Other is budding again" was I believe the line one time.

Yep, turns out there's plenty of sperg out there for this character who never once appeared on screen and was only mentioned in passing in three episodes: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Vilix%27pran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some of those designs, like Sickbay, would really have sold the concept that this is a massively huge ship with 1000 people on it more than what we actually got.

On the other hand, you have ideas like "putting a cocktail lounge on the bridge." :psyduck:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Spot on points. Worf's room is the only TNG room that looks remotely close to actually having someone live in it, since at least he decorates with Klingon stuff. Everything else looks like a hotel, not someone's living quarters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That chair is either super comfortable or super uncomfortable. There's no way it's just an ok chair.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

WampaLord posted:

It's the chair. Look at his posture!

No wonder everyone was getting back problems, the ergonomics division of Starfleet is loving incompetent.

This always kinda bugged me. Like, those palm flashlights. Isn't it easier just to have a regular flashlight with a handle? Also for some reason, TNG phasers are more like remote controls than pistols. In the future, they must have just forgotten what handles are.

And pockets. They forgot how to make pockets, too.

Related:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Still from Discovery:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

Oh cool, they're doing a Star Wars crossover.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Is that supposed to evoke Star Wars or Nimbus III?

e: beaten

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

I spy a TOS style flip communicator on her belt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh cool, they're doing a Star Wars crossover.

star trek doesn't have enough jedi

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

Well, I'll be damned, Tatooine

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

I have a nasty feeling this all they have filmed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Apparently that's a location shot from Jordan

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Apparently that's a location shot from Jordan

I wonder to what degree the King is involved

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any chance we'all get a trailer or at least a few more stills today?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
This is just making me look all that more forward to the new Dune movie. But I have to undercut that hype because I can't get my hopes too high.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

new Dune movie

:catstare:

Well, Patrick Stewart looks about the same, so there's one bit of casting handled.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't think Dune is the kinda thing that works well as a movie. You really need to make it into a Game of Thrones type TV series. It's a really weird book with some very out there concepts and I think it would be difficult if not impossible to tell that story in a way that's both compelling and makes any sense at all within a two and a half hour runtime.

The first time I saw the David Lynch Dune movie, I hated it, thought it made no sense and felt the characters were all like soulless robots. Then I read the book and watched the movie again and went "oh, I get it now, this is actually really cool." I kinda like that movie now but I really feel like you have to read the book to be able to appreciate it and get what's going on.

I never did read the sequels though. I got bored about halfway through Dune Messiah but maybe I'll give the other (Frank Herbet penned) books another chance sometime.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

David Lynch Dune fails pretty hard at storytelling but absolutely oozes style, which is the only reason why anyone remembers it (and a killer cast).

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't think Dune is the kinda thing that works well as a movie. You really need to make it into a Game of Thrones type TV series. It's a really weird book with some very out there concepts and I think it would be difficult if not impossible to tell that story in a way that's both compelling and makes any sense at all within a two and a half hour runtime.

The first time I saw the David Lynch Dune movie, I hated it, thought it made no sense and felt the characters were all like soulless robots. Then I read the book and watched the movie again and went "oh, I get it now, this is actually really cool." I kinda like that movie now but I really feel like you have to read the book to be able to appreciate it and get what's going on.

I never did read the sequels though. I got bored about halfway through Dune Messiah but maybe I'll give the other (Frank Herbet penned) books another chance sometime.

Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune end up being kind of a trilogy. God Emperor is probably my favorite book in the series but I don't know if that's a universally held opinion. I can totally get where you're coming from though. At one point the plot of Dune Messiah becomes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr07lrGSNUs&t=15s

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eh, the rule of Dune in the science fiction thread over in BB is that you should stop after whichever book you don't enjoy (or after Frank Herbert, whichever comes first), and I'm inclined to agree. Messiah and Children are pretty solid, but I found the quality already dips after Dune proper. God Emperor is just a weird melange of ideas people seem to love or hate, and the ones after that are kind of a wreck.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SomeMathGuy posted:

just a weird melange

I see what you did there.

I read all the Herbert books and a couple of the others, but the only one I really care about or would recommend is the first.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SomeMathGuy posted:

Eh, the rule of Dune in the science fiction thread over in BB is that you should stop after whichever book you don't enjoy (or after Frank Herbert, whichever comes first), and I'm inclined to agree. Messiah and Children are pretty solid, but I found the quality already dips after Dune proper. God Emperor is just a weird melange of ideas people seem to love or hate, and the ones after that are kind of a wreck.

I've read most of Herbert's books beyond the Dune series too, and Dune is a step and a half above everything else, but even the worst ones are pretty OK. God Emperor is indeed divisive, love it or hate it with little in between in my experience talking about it. The last two are still Frank Herbert books for better or worse, but they do wander off into the weeds.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

Is the ship still awful?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

Is the ship still awful?

Based upon the renderings that were seen in the "we've started shooting" teaser that came out back in January, it is essentially unchanged from the announcement teaser from TCA last year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I love the looks of what could have been for the Ent-D bridge. Some of these are truly cruise ship-y.

I'm the guy with the latte and t-shirt standing in front of the viewscreen

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

He just followed Data all the way from 10 forward, and up the turbolift, droning amiably about nothing in particular as Data started working on his console, trying to be polite, but not engaging whatsoever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:ughh: Can I help you, Mr Fink? We're rather engaged with this contingent of Cardassian ships on a potential war footing.
:cheers: Nah, it's all good. You do you. <slurps latte>

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Let's go concept art hog wild.

Sickbay Plus:

It never made any sense to me that you have this giant ship that carries 1000 people or so, but sickbay is a tiny room with like 8 beds and one operating area.
What do they do when they have a ton of injured or sick people?

Where are you guys getting these concept pictures?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They should've had a scene in the first episode with a bunch of people getting treated in that big main sickbay room so they had the money to get it built like they did with main engineering.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

They should've had a scene in the first episode with a bunch of people getting treated in that big main sickbay room so they had the money to get it built like they did with main engineering.

There is a theoretical limit to this strategy.

Engineering was better than sickbay, given it was a choice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

There is a theoretical limit to this strategy.

Engineering was better than sickbay, given it was a choice.

That's true but they also had that crazy huge cargo/shuttlebay set that got used maybe a dozen times in the whole series, how much did that cost? Unless it was a redress of something from the movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

McSpanky posted:

That's true but they also had that crazy huge cargo/shuttlebay set that got used maybe a dozen times in the whole series, how much did that cost? Unless it was a redress of something from the movies.

IIRC that set was itself redressed as the holodeck, so they got decent mileage out of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drat it, I wanted to say that.

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

Blending in with the locals, maybe? He said way too optimistically.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, if they're visiting Nimbus III, I have to give them credit for being ballsy like that, because Star Trek V is not exactly the most fondly remembered part of the franchise.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Timby posted:

It's not outside the realm of possibility that, since the TNG movies are so old, the sounds have been recycled into effects libraries.

Also bear in mind that quite a few of the TOS sound effects were either reproductions of or just straight-up lifted from the 50s War of the Worlds film so it's entirely possible that they're public domain by now.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Always makes me chuckle when in one breath Galaxy-class starships are described as the 'most sophisticated machines ever built'; and in the very next scene Picard spins the little laptop on his Ready Room desk, presses a button, and it wobbles a little bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Itzena posted:

Also bear in mind that quite a few of the TOS sound effects were either reproductions of or just straight-up lifted from the 50s War of the Worlds film so it's entirely possible that they're public domain by now.

Nothing made after 1928 will ever go out of copyright in the US. At least, not until Disney goes out of business.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

this is ceti alpha 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

I had kind of the opposite experience, funny enough. I got bogged down reading the book (I was like 12 or something) and then rented the movie and suddenly everything clicked and I was able to devour the rest of the book.

I think Dune can work as a movie, you just have to be willing to adapt the material and accept that you're not going to get a 1:1 translation. Also I think Dune should basically be made like one of those old epic films with an intermission, where you're dragging a thousand extras out into the desert and the studio nearly goes bankrupt.