Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Lord posted:

What if after Brexit the UK joins in a international compact with the US!??

I dunno, what if dogs were birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, what if dogs were birds?

It would be funny though. Kinda neat too, for both sides.

I'm talking about the dogs here ofc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Would it still be illegal for them to poo poo on public paths/windows?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So do you have the Canadian problem with your military too, where it's basically a glorified special forces arm for the US?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

jBrereton posted:

I hope we don't dynamite the chunnel when there is a near inevitable war with the continent at some time in my life.

One of the worries when the tunnel was built was Britain would no longer be inaccessible by land, and a suggestion was made to line the walls with ice, which could be kept cold by chillers (which could be turned off if needed, flooding the tunnel).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lightning Lord posted:

So do you have the Canadian problem with your military too, where it's basically a glorified special forces arm for the US?

That's no way to talk about ARE BRAVE BOYS

(but yeah)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ewan posted:

Lib Dem manifesto is out http://www.libdems.org.uk/manifesto

Unsurprising focus is on Brexit - "fighting a hard Brexit" and promising a referendum on the negotiation results.

The main other point of note is a 1% increase on income tax (across all bands), with the proceeds ringfenced for health spending. Also will reverse cuts to Corp. tax.

Few other snippets:
- £100bn investment in infrastructure
- Lower voting age to 16
- Will bring the two worst performing rail franchises under a Gov-run company
- Will end bulk data collection, and won't oppose private encryption
- End imprisonment for personal possession drug offenses
- Suspend arms sales to Saudi
- Commit to 2% defence spend and 0.7% aid spend
- End to Continuous At Sea Deterrence
- Mandate TV leaders' debates in future elections (lol)

EDIT: Oh and completely missed they'll legalise and regulate (not decriminalise, but full-on legalise) weed.

:flaccid:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

One of the worries when the tunnel was built was Britain would no longer be inaccessible by land, and a suggestion was made to line the walls with ice, which could be kept cold by chillers (which could be turned off if needed, flooding the tunnel).
I remember people scaremongering about Jerry driving tanks down the chunnel as if mounting an attack in such a confined way on an easily defended point wouldn't be the dumbest idea ever. Unless they sneaked the tanks in overnight disguised as tiny trains.

*EU tanks roll down street blaring "Welcome to Tiny Train World, Winston" from tannoys*

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sodor is the mustering ground for the UK invasion IMO

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
This is the first time in my life I have heard actual british people from britain use the word "chunnel". You're all dead to me.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

I remember people scaremongering about Jerry driving tanks down the chunnel as if mounting an attack in such a confined way on an easily defended point wouldn't be the dumbest idea ever. Unless they sneaked the tanks in overnight disguised as tiny trains.

*EU tanks roll down street blaring "Welcome to Tiny Train World, Winston" from tannoys*

less dumb idea - using the tunnel for a supply line after the invasion has already taken Dover.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from singlehandedly making invasion of the UK impossible? It's the rest of the military that's pointless.

Ahahaha. Good one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

less dumb idea - using the tunnel for a supply line after the invasion has already taken Dover.
The tabloid scare articles and the people taking them seriously at the time were all 100% about blitzkrieg armor driving down the tracks in the dead of night.

If forces did take Dover then the tunnel entrance would need something impressive to stop it being pummeled from day one, but that's firmly in the realms of Clancy without something seriously going wrong in Europe.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The actual plan for the tunnel in event of war is literally nuking it so staying in the south east the now I would rather we didn't do the whole war thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

In the US tomatoes are legally a vegetable though.

It's both both technically and colloquially

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from singlehandedly making invasion of the UK impossible? It's the rest of the military that's pointless.

Good lord :stare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Maggie Thatcher was opposed to German reunification because she didn't want to see a resurgent Third Reich or something so it's hardly surprising that the Sun thought panzers were going to be rolling down the Channel Tunnel in 1995

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chunnel churning with chummy, err, panzers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

This is the first time in my life I have heard actual british people from britain use the word "chunnel". You're all dead to me.
Two great things the tabloid press has given us:

- The word "Chunnel" meaning the chunnel
- The idea of the EU changing the word for the Channel to The Anglo-French Eurotrench which I prefer, a lot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

- The idea of the EU changing the word for the Channel to The Anglo-French Eurotrench which I prefer, a lot.

That would make a great chant

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You have to pronounce it the French way though.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Guavanaut posted:

The tabloid scare articles and the people taking them seriously at the time were all 100% about blitzkrieg armor driving down the tracks in the dead of night.

If forces did take Dover then the tunnel entrance would need something impressive to stop it being pummeled from day one, but that's firmly in the realms of Clancy without something seriously going wrong in Europe.

There's at least one nineteenth-century novel in which French soldiers disguised as waiters take over this side of a fictional channel tunnel as a prelude to an invasion by France.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

1p all round seems quite good vs 50p for some. I quite like the look of lib dems idea.

Not a fan of the new referendum.

Also I'd like to see someone tackle integration rather than just say how many immigrants they'll take.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skinty McEdger posted:

The actual plan for the tunnel in event of war is literally nuking it so staying in the south east the now I would rather we didn't do the whole war thing.
I mean in order for the tunnel to be any use whatsoever either for tactical or logistics the attacking power would either have to be France, allied with France, or have occupied France. France is a nuclear power. For it to be even slightly realistic we would be at war with a nuclear power, so nuking the French entrance to the tunnel sounds reasonable in that situation, because reason has obviously gone out the window long ago to get to that point.

Unless we're going under the assumption that two nuclear powers can have a limited hot war with conventional weapons only, but you've crossed that point long ago if someone is occupying Dover and we might as well formally declare the deterrent pointless.

Crashbee posted:

There's at least one nineteenth-century novel in which French soldiers disguised as waiters take over this side of a fictional channel tunnel as a prelude to an invasion by France.
How long until the alt-right turn this into a conspiracy about that Pret a Manger person saying they need specifically immigrant waiters?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

1p all round seems quite good vs 50p for some. I quite like the look of lib dems idea.

Not a fan of the new referendum.

Also I'd like to see someone tackle integration rather than just say how many immigrants they'll take.
50p is the new band, not the change in what they're paying. The thing is people earning over £80k can afford 5-10% more taxes on the part of their income over that far better than those at the bottom of the income scale can afford 1%.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
1p for everyone vs 50p for the rich is proportionally leaving poorer people with less money though, plus it will only essentially cover the funding shortfall rather than actually make anything better.

The Lib Dem manifesto is "put society back to ~2015, with weed & slightly higher taxes for everyone" which is not exactly an inspiring rallying cry.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I mean in order for the tunnel to be any use whatsoever either for tactical or logistics the attacking power would either have to be France, allied with France, or have occupied France. France is a nuclear power. For it to be even slightly realistic we would be at war with a nuclear power, so nuking the French entrance to the tunnel sounds reasonable in that situation, because reason has obviously gone out the window long ago to get to that point.

Unless we're going under the assumption that two nuclear powers can have a limited hot war with conventional weapons only, but you've crossed that point long ago if someone is occupying Dover and we might as well formally declare the deterrent pointless.

How long until the alt-right turn this into a conspiracy about that Pret a Manger person saying they need specifically immigrant waiters?

It'll probably be salami tactics.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The best name is "Canal de la Mancha".
"Anglo-French trench" and "English Channel" are boring.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

Corbyn shouldn't resign after the election. If we lose he should go before the next one, but not immediately. Whenever this happens the Tories use the chaos in the labour party to paint a narrative and there's nobody at the helm to set out the counter agenda. Remember "the mess that labour left us"?

Corbyn staying will cause far, far more chaos in the party.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I'm probably giving them too much credit here, but I can't help but wonder if having May's name slapped over everything in their campaign as opposed to the Conservative Party is a deliberate strategy. When Brexit inevitably goes to poo poo, everyone remembers "Theresa May" as opposed to "Conservatives", so the Tories can throw her and her cabinet under a bus and keep the party unblemished for what comes after.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ludicro posted:

I'm probably giving them too much credit here, but I can't help but wonder if having May's name slapped over everything in their campaign as opposed to the Conservative Party is a deliberate strategy. When Brexit inevitably goes to poo poo, everyone remembers "Theresa May" as opposed to "Conservatives", so the Tories can throw her and her cabinet under a bus and keep the party unblemished for what comes after.

Quite the opposite - she's more popular than the party branding. And is sufficiently egotistical to demand it even if she wasn't.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Ludicro posted:

I think May and the Tories just have a more basic strategy of making the election "May v Corbyn" as opposed to Conservative Party v Labour.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Corbyn staying will cause far, far more chaos in the party.

I can't wait for the third leadership election in three years!!!

I think the best option would be Corbyn staying on but saying he will step down in a year's time or something. But no lol I bet it's going to be the Yvette Cooper train picking up steam on June 9th

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I think May and the Tories just have a more basic strategy of making the election "May v Corbyn" as opposed to Conservative Party v Labour.

Could it be something to do with battle bus funding, so they can't be accused of illegally campaigning like last time

"You see, we weren't technically campaigning for the Conservatives..."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Amphigory posted:

Could it be something to do with battle bus funding, so they can't be accused of illegally campaigning like last time

Yes, because of the massive impact that had on the party...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Amphigory posted:

The problem was local versus national campaign funding; the party leader going all over the place and being the main figure of advertising is national campaigning so they're definitely safe this time.

I think the other reasons about Mays popularity have more to do with it though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Prediction: We get Yvette Cooper or someone equally banal and centrist. She does better than Corbyn because the powers that be "can work with her". This boils down to maintaining the status quo minus fox hunting or something. Thread assholes declare victory. That this is precisely the pyrrhic non-victory that was warned about falls on deaf ears. The RED center-right party is back in power and can proceed to do nothing because they're "balancing the books".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

I can't wait for the third leadership election in three years!!!

I think the best option would be Corbyn staying on but saying he will step down in a year's time or something. But no lol I bet it's going to be the Yvette Cooper train picking up steam on June 9th

He should stand down if he fails to make progress against the Tories.

Of course there will be a leadership challenge if he refuses.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can see the Guardian thinkpieces now "Centrism Ascendent: The End of Labours Brief Flirtation With Populism & The Failure of the Corbyn Experiment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

The RED center-right party is back in power and can proceed to do nothing because they're "balancing the books".

Do you honestly believe that things haven't got markedly worse since 2010?

• Locked thread