Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CobiWann posted:

The gently caress is "bi erasure?"

This is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqJTKdznaM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It's ignoring/denying bisexuality in favor of ascribing a rigid gay/straight dichotomy.

I will note that this also comes from within the gay/lesbian communities, as some of them have used bisexuality as a stepping stone along the path of coming out. As a result, some of them deny that people who continue to identify as bisexual are actually telling the truth.

Most of the time it's seen on tv as "she's dating a woman now, so she must always have been a lesbian." Looking at you, Willow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah; a lot of bi people get pigeonholed as "you're straight but doing things with other guys/girls for attention" or "you're gay but don't want the stigma" or whatever. Or, if a bi person is in a long term monogamous relationship, they often get asked "so you aren't actually bi? You're gay/straight?" (Depending on the gender of the partner)

A lot of people also like to create a rigid set of weird, RPG-esque rules like "If you haven't had a romantic or sexual relationship with a partner of this gender in two years, then you're probably just straight; turn to the rulebook on grappling," or whatever. Because it happens in the world, it happens in fiction (when bi characters are featured at all). As has been said, though, Bill is not an example of it, nor is any assessment of Bill that does not identify her as bi-sexual (or so I think).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

I will note that this also comes from within the gay/lesbian communities, as some of them have used bisexuality as a stepping stone along the path of coming out. As a result, some of them deny that people who continue to identify as bisexual are actually telling the truth.

Yeah, it's a rejection of that whole "bi now, gay later" thing.

Bi representations on television get hit with a lot of poo poo, because it's generally hard to demonstrate that a character is definitely bi while telling a romance in the way television tends to, without going on for years and years. See: The 100, for a recent example of this kind of fandom debacle.

(Though, yes, a lot of the outrage is fueled by jilted shippers, yeah. T^hey're harder to dismiss when they bundle with obsessions up with actual decent points, and it just ends up poisoning the well.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and when characters are depicted as bi, they often get described as "greedy", or "show offish" or are automatically assumed to want multiple partners (simultaneously or sequentially), or that they cannot commit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ex Girlfriend has an entire song by a character who realizes he's bisexual, didactically explaining away bi stereotypes to all of his co-workers, that I would describe as "enjoyable."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Then what's the difference between "bisexual" and "bi-curious?" Is there one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Eh, that really has more to do with a person's own feelings on their sexuality than anything else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, you certainly wouldn't want to call someone who identifies as bisexual "bi-curious," for obvious reasons. The people I know who identify as the latter are mostly people in long-term monogamous relationships who haven't experienced one type of relationship but think they would be interested in one, in theory, if they were not in a long-term monogamous relationship, but I bet there are other people who identify as bi-curious for all kinds of reasons.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ah, man..I know people want to be more sensitive and open-minded, but just let people bang who they want to bang, as long as it's consensual and above the age of consent, and leave it at that. Stop labeling everything.

Between this and my stepdaughter insisting Nirvana was a one-hit wonder because "Weird Al" only covered one of their songs, I'm getting too old for all of this.

This has been Cobi's "Get Off My Lawn" moment, brought to you by Turlough's Rock Gardening.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you have an identity which is outside of society's general understanding and prone to being victimized by persecution, it sometimes helps to have terms for that identity, both for personal and community-building reasons.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

If you have an identity which is outside of society's general understanding and prone to being victimized by persecution, it sometimes helps to have terms for that identity, both for personal and community-building reasons.

And because even if you don't, the people who hate you for what you are certainly will.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bi-curious and heteroflexible are terms usually meant to describe people who are in monogamous straight relationships who engage in threesomes with the same sex third/engage in brief homosexual acts outside of the relationship. Bi-curious also usually describes people who experiment with homosexuality/homosexual relationships outside of their normal heterosexual ones.

Take all the terms and flip them and that also describes the (rarer) other end of the spectrum as well: bi-curious people who are usually gay but sometimes engage in straight sex/threesomes that include straight sex, and homoflexible people.

Heteroflexible/Bi-curious is often used in online dating (speaking as a straight dude who has done a lot of online dating) to help classify relationships. It's also commonly used to identify couples who list themselves on online dating profiles why exactly they're online dating ("heteroflexible" being used to explain why they're looking for a third person). As someone who values monogamy pretty highly in a relationship it really, really helps to immediately be able to screen out potentials online, especially since nothing's more frustrating than chatting someone up for a week or two and they bust out "oh I'm married/oh I'm poly in a committed relationship/oh I'm in an open relationship looking for a romantic partner". Labels really, really help you not waste other people's time.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 17, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CobiWann posted:

Between this and my stepdaughter insisting Nirvana was a one-hit wonder because "Weird Al" only covered one of their songs, I'm getting too old for all of this.

I mean that is some extremely solid logic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nirvana is bad either way, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Example of bi-curious character: Ramona Flowers.
Example of bi-furious character: Roxie Richter.

(In seriousness, Clara was bi-curious at least, and most likely full-on bisexual given her thirst for Ashildr and dialogue indicating she had liaisons with Jane Austen)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bill is the first openly-lesbian Companion on Doctor Who, sure, but she's hardly the first lesbian on Doctor Who

"Good evening. I am a lizard-woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife." - Madame Vastra "The Snowmen"

Only on Doctor Who would you get an inter-species lesbian relationship with a grumpy murderous pet potato

Granted, it's usually just a very irritating minority of Tumblrinas who don't have the attention span to sit through an entire Series of Doctor Who, especially if it wasn't made post-2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Vinylshadow posted:

Only on Doctor Who would you get an inter-species lesbian relationship with a grumpy murderous pet potato

The murderous pet potato is the best part about the Paternoster Gang.

"I have declared war on the moon!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TinTower posted:

The murderous pet potato is the best part about the Paternoster Gang.

"I have declared war on the moon!"
"I can produce magnificent quantities of lactic fluid."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFupa5bfDSU
In which the Doctor sits down and reads the Pope's fanfiction

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

CobiWann posted:

Interesting logic. According to that, Madonna is also a "one hit wonder" as are many other artists / bands. In fact, only Michael Jackson would qualify otherwise???

(and artists like Prince therefore don't even exist???)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nirvana only exists when you're in 8th-10th grade, like a Grunge Brigadoon. After that, they fade from memory and simply become "that baby pool album band".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nirvana had one shot then disappeared.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still like Nirvana but I have extremely unpretentious and non-judgmental music tastes that range from yodeling to Slavonic Dances to NoFX to Sarina Paris.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dabir posted:

Nirvana had one shot then disappeared.

ಠ_ಠ

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

sunnyboy posted:

Interesting logic. According to that, Madonna is also a "one hit wonder" as are many other artists / bands. In fact, only Michael Jackson would qualify otherwise???

(and artists like Prince therefore don't even exist???)

When Prince died I had his Greatest Hits CDs in my car and listened to it driving to church.

From the backseat she asked me if it was a boy or a girl singing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the oft-cited facts about Nirvana is how Nevernind displaced Michael Jackson's Dangerous as the number-one album in America. Less frequently remembered is that Nevernind stayed there for a fortnight before being replaced by a Garth Brooks album that was there for 10 weeks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the oft-cited facts about Nirvana is how Nevernind displaced Michael Jackson's Dangerous as the number-one album in America. Less frequently remembered is that Nevernind stayed there for a fortnight before being replaced by a Garth Brooks album that was there for 10 weeks.

Yeah people try to repress this fact

But the true king of 90s music?

Garth Brooks.

Everyone else was but an ant in the storm that was Garth Brooks in the 90s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Michael Bolton was one of the most popular solo male artists of the early 90s. Concurrent with grunge, golden age hip-hop etc.

Billy Ray Cyrus had an album (the one with "Achey Breaky Heart") that shifted 10 million copies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You can keep liking the music that you grew up with, but if you also grow to like some new-fangled music and adjust your ideas so that you can empathize with and listen to today's youth, then the invisible aliens that drape you in plaid, strap you to porch rockers, and steal away your memories cannot get you. Please look for my Doctor Who episode, Doctor Whofangled and The Invisible Arps, starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

Yeah people try to repress this fact

But the true king of 90s music?

Garth Brooks.

Everyone else was but an ant in the storm that was Garth Brooks in the 90s

If you turn off the lights and chant "Garth Brooks" into a mirror, Chris Gaines appears

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jivjov posted:

Jack says he's "omnisexual", which tends to amount to the same thing, but they explicitly didn't say "bi".

Also, I think people are reacting to Bill's line from Knock Knock about "mostly" preferring girls

IMO bi people should consider adopting the term Omnisexual. "Bi" merely reinforces the idea that there is a duality, rather than a continuum. Maaan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

When Prince died I had his Greatest Hits CDs in my car and listened to it driving to church.

From the backseat she asked me if it was a boy or a girl singing.

Did you reply,"Yes."?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TinTower posted:

Speaking of Bill, apparently tumblr fans get really salty when you say that Bill is a lesbian, because of the t-shirt she wore in Smile is more suggestive of her sexuality than, you know, dialogue explicitly saying she's a gay lesbian who's into women… homosexually.

I think the important thing here is how does a t-shirt specify your sexuality more than dialogue?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the important thing here is how does a t-shirt specify your sexuality more than dialogue?

"Because I don't like what the dialogue says and I refuse to accept I am wrong."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've forgotten what shirt this apparently was. Was that the rainbow top?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Did you reply,"Yes."?

No, but she did hear me screaming in the kitchen this morning something along the lines of "HOW THE gently caress DOES KEITH RICHARDS OUTLIVE CHRIS CORNELL?!?"

As for the t-shirt vs dialogue thing, we've all been on the Internet and seen how people will take any shred of evidence, no matter how thin or flimsy, and use it to justify their personal beliefs about anything - guns, health care, sexuality, Alexa Bliss...

For a local take, may I refer you to the TV IV case of "The Office" vs 'I Acquit?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Did you reply,"Yes."?

A better answer is "No"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have a shirt that says "my sexuality is everyone is hot and I'm angry"

Can't get clearer than that I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

hanales posted:

I have a shirt that says "my sexuality is everyone is hot and I'm angry"

Can't get clearer than that I think.

Most of my t-shirts are plain and of little interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This was a legitimate fun derail about gender and music, in which nobody even screamed at anyone else or flipped over the grill. Good job, everybody.

• Locked thread