Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

White Coke posted:

Mentally. Breaking down mentally.

This cannot continue this cannot continue this cannot continue this cannot continue.

I MUST BECOME BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Oh yeah. The Machines are totally stable mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

apocalypticCritic posted:

This cannot continue this cannot continue this cannot continue this cannot continue.

At least the machines are human enough to experience the miracle of child birth. :colbert:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Fredrik1 posted:

At least the machines are human enough to experience the miracle of child birth. :colbert:

Androids can enjoy :catdrugs: and :torgue:. Your move, machifailures. :smug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The machines have Pascal so we're going to have to call this Machines 1 - 0 Androids.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Androids have Jackass who is at least as good as Pascal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We have Jackass AND 6O

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The machines know how fun it is to wave a flag. And they have a Party Tank. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if we'll be Zandatsuing anything in this game. Since this is more a Yoko Taro production than just Platinum being themselves freely.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if we'll be Zandatsuing anything in this game. Since this is more a Yoko Taro production than just Platinum being themselves freely.

I'd be surprised if any of the machines other than Adam and Eve have spines to tear out. 2B would probably jam her arm inside a stubby and yank out a toaster or something.

What do the machines run on, anyway? Are they solar powered, or have they managed to find enough oil for 11,000 years of war? Is there someone who just runs around winding them up with a giant key?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've been getting the impression that androids are at least biomechanical. They sleep and eat food and apparently bleed.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

What do the machines run on, anyway? Are they solar powered, or have they managed to find enough oil for 11,000 years of war?

There is a file or conversation (I forgot which) that addresses the first question.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The androids were created by humans and are similar to humans. The machines were created by aliens that Adam refers to as plant like, so probably solar? Maybe they also need watered daily.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Would explain why we keep finding slightly rusty bots in the rivers and streams. Doesn't cover the desert dwellers, though. Maybe they were mad with hunger.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'd be surprised if any of the machines other than Adam and Eve have spines to tear out. 2B would probably jam her arm inside a stubby and yank out a toaster or something.

What do the machines run on, anyway? Are they solar powered, or have they managed to find enough oil for 11,000 years of war? Is there someone who just runs around winding them up with a giant key?

You occasionally find machine cores on the bodies of machines. They seem to be the machines' power plant. Might be fusion based, might be solar. Might be a mix of the two.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I've been getting the impression that androids are at least biomechanical. They sleep and eat food and apparently bleed.

Living tissue over metal endoskeleton.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

As we saw from 6O androids at least have the capacity to be gay. And really, what is the miracle of child birth compared to the miracle of homoeroticism?

RareAcumen posted:

I can recall precisely one zandatsu-esque sequence in the game and it's not for quite a while.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

That does explain why 2B and 9S perforating Adam with their weapons didn't take. They forgot to remove the spine. Always remove the spine.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TDI, for jackass's battle data collection quest you link to Birth of a Wish (This cannot continue). I'm pretty sure that it actually uses the generic Birth of a Wish because we left the anti-continue choir behind when we ran away from Adam and Eve the first time.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is there someone who just runs around winding them up with a giant key?

This is my new canon.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is there someone who just runs around winding them up with a giant key?

And, given the sheer number of broken keys we find, are they terrible at it?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Antipersonnel Mime
Feb 27, 2011

iospace posted:

The Missile Boat would be more applicable methinks.

Fixed.

Also: bought the game, just finished FFXV. Time to get on this crazy train for myself.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Absolutely beautiful. :allears:

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Qrr posted:

TDI, for jackass's battle data collection quest you link to Birth of a Wish (This cannot continue). I'm pretty sure that it actually uses the generic Birth of a Wish because we left the anti-continue choir behind when we ran away from Adam and Eve the first time.

Nope pretty sure it uses this cannot continue. I remember quirking an eyebrow because it seemed inappropriate.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

apocalypticCritic posted:

I didn't say that the machines are all perfectly sane. And you could be correct that the machines actually are the crazier ones too, we haven't seen as much of them as the androids yet. Of course sanity is relative in a 6,000 year long war(s).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The machines clearly use AA batteries, just that aliens have found crazy new methods of efficiency - they've found the irritation ratioTM. The more annoying a toy/instrument/murderous machine is, the longer it'll take before the batteries run out and you can tell your kids its broken so you can get rid of it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

now do one that says "fish drugs"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I understand why androids made in human shape have emotions like revenge. But... machines built by aliens? Were they trying to understand the power of the mysterious human emotion called "friendship"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

I understand why androids made in human shape have emotions like revenge. But... machines built by aliens? Were they trying to understand the power of the mysterious human emotion called "friendship"?

All they wanted was to know how babies are made.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It continues to be apparent that the machines have the mentality of children while the androids have the mentality of adolescents.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

I maintain this is a Watchers experiment gone off the rails. :colbert:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Mazed posted:

It continues to be apparent that the machines have the mentality of children while the androids have the mentality of adolescents.

I mean, we obviously don't see it in game, but I would bet real money that the Bunker is an orgiastic cluster gently caress at least 70% of the time. So definitely adolescent.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Glazius posted:

Murderbots discovering pacifism is of course unremarkable, but murderbots coming up with revenge over the course of thousands of years of murder? That's just crazy talk!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Mazed posted:

I felt like machines are like child soldiers from birth and androids are like teens who were drafted into it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Somewhere amongst all this, R. Daneel Olivaw is just slamming his head against the wall in frustration at how unbelievably incompetent everyone is in the setting.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Somewhere amongst all this, R. Daneel Olivaw is just slamming his head against the wall in frustration at how unbelievably incompetent everyone is in the setting.

I'm re-reading those novels right now and I'm still amazed at how well they hold today, considering they were written in the mid-late FIFTIES. Asimov's robots can be both superhuman and childlike in their interactions which is what makes them so believable as not-yet-human machines.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

necroid posted:

I'm re-reading those novels right now and I'm still amazed at how well they hold today, considering they were written in the mid-late FIFTIES. Asimov's robots can be both superhuman and childlike in their interactions which is what makes them so believable as not-yet-human machines.

The only drawback is that Asimov writes human characters the same way. Dude's great at concepts, not so great at characterization.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

The only drawback is that Asimov writes human characters the same way. Dude's great at concepts, not so great at characterization.

yep I agree, I'm pretty sure the man was a bit of a sperg.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Reading Asimov's sex scenes is enough to make one wonder if the man was, in fact, a robot trying to simulate humanity. Thankfully he never learned of tight leather pants and tribal tats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark. His bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary's body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions - on top, doggy, and normal.

Exhausted they collapsed onto the recently extended sofa-bed. Then a hell beast ate them.

- Garth Marenghi, Slicer.

• Locked thread