Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

Cousins likely would have stayed if they offered him the megamax, it was their choice to trade him

That's what I mean. Vlade was scared off by the potential to pay him the mega-max, when that was supposed to be in theory the one tool owners had to keep their homegrown superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Crowder will get most of those duties I would think.

E: More players should adopt the onesie pajamas uniform with a front zipper that Castro was balling out of control in.

Crowder is too slow to guard Lebron, it's been proven quite a few times over the last few years. I would be surprised if Jaylen didn't cover him for a good portion of the game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

!!!!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even if the mega-max wasn't available or Cousins wasn't eligible, Vlade sounds like he would have still tried to trade him anyway

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

this is some next level andy kaufman type poo poo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Spite posted:

McCaw will be better than Livingston in like a year or two though.

Counterpoint ... nope

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

leftist heap posted:

It's gonna be pretty cool to see if a team consisting of Klay, Curry, Durant, Green and then literally 11 other guys on exempt contracts of some sort is a viable team. Assuming that none of those guys ends up elsewhere.

I imagine they plan on going over the cap for a year or two, then getting back under for one year to reset the repeater tax. But who can project that far ahead, really? One of the 4 might get hit by a bus tomorrow and everything will be different.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Zogo stylee-

tanglewood1420 posted:

They are going to lose Iggy and Livingston this summer, and Durant and Curry are both going to get designated player super max deals. Next season and the season after they are basically going to be KD, Curry, Draymond, Klay filled out with one taxypayer-MLE guy (about $5m), draft picks and minsal vets. Their depth is going to be really bad unless they hit on what few draft picks they have (no picks at all in 2017, no second rounder in 2018), but maybe it won't matter. Then in summer 2019 Klay will be a free agent and I don't see how they could possibly max him also, so something will give eventually.

Iggy might be taking the MLE. He's publicly talked about staying for way below his market value. Don't be too surprised if they re-sign both guys and go into the penalty.

Spite posted:

McCaw will be better than Livingston in like a year or two though.

They will push Durant to take the small raise instead of the the super max so they can resign iguodala. Though if Iggy's knees are really busted who knows what will happen.

no structural damage on the MRI. Since there's a ridiculous 4 days between game he might play this weekend.

Carlosologist posted:

so, why did LMA only shoot 11 times last night? Warriors' game plan or is he too used to being passive now

He got double teamed a lot and was pretty helpless when it happened.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

predicto posted:

Counterpoint ... nope

nobody can replace Shaun Livingston

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chunkles posted:

this is some next level andy kaufman type poo poo

https://bigballerbrand.com/collections/womens

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

oh my god this guy im dying laughing "im no physic"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

All this GSW conjecture hasn't touched on the real possibility of LBJ joining the armada in a few years. Kareem did it, Wilt did it, Malone did it (both of them), KG did it, Shaq did it. Most of the all-time greats like to team up and take the easy road.

Even MJ tried to do it.

LaVar after Lonzo wins his first ring: "Doris Burke get back in the kitchen!"

ex post facho posted:

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences...

Contraction isn't going to solve the predictability. Contract the Bulls and Pacers and watch Jimmy Butler and Paul George come off the Cavaliers bench.

Also, surprises do happen...every twenty or thirty years.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I can't believe I'm respecting Lavar Ball now after the Jason Whitlock snacks comments

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

Crowder is too slow to guard Lebron, it's been proven quite a few times over the last few years. I would be surprised if Jaylen didn't cover him for a good portion of the game

I just see Jaylen biting so hard on all of Lebron's pump fakes. But it will be good experience for the Rook

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

predicto posted:

I imagine they plan on going over the cap for a year or two, then getting back under for one year to reset the repeater tax. But who can project that far ahead, really? One of the 4 might get hit by a bus tomorrow and everything will be different.

They will most likely be pushing into the luxury tax this offseason, won't they? IIRC their cap holds put them into tax territory. And that timeline would put them into trying to get under the cap right when they have to sign Klay, plus who knows what kind of contract KD is gonna sign.

I guess I could see maybe Iguodala taking less, but even the MLE would be quite the haircut, let alone the tax-payer MLE if it comes to it. Livingston can and definitely should look for a payday at this point in his career.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Livingston is gone from the Warriors after this season. Iggy has had 2 big paydays in his past, and he is set for life. Because of his horrific injury, Livingston never got his big payday, and at his age, this is his only chance to get one. Some lousy team is going to give him a huge contract to be their presumptive starting PG, and he is going to take it, and he should. They team doesn't really use a traditional point guard, and the back up to Curry is going to be a ring chaser on his last legs who is satisfied with 10 minutes per game.

Iggy probably is going to sign under market value and stay. As far as I can tell he genuinely loves it here and has plans for the future here after he retires.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, that's not exactly true. In the 70s the NBA had 8 different champions in 10 years, which is insane.

1980 onward however, there have been only been 11.

Different champions doesn't mean it's parity. That's just chaos and unpredictability.

Parity is a big lie. I can't recall one season of NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS where all the teams hovered around 50% WP%. No matter from nascency to fully developed with 100+ years of history (and all stages between). 1922 NFL had a team go 10-0-2 and another 0-0-8. One hundred years later it's the same story.

If parity was paramount then grade school sports would have the highest TV ratings.

Shear Modulus posted:

it can't really be overstated how lovely the spurs played last night

136 points against the best D in the whole league.

A team ORtg of 132.7 for GSW. Their highest playoff ORtg game in the 3P era. :laffo:

Cool Buff Man posted:

The last way most would describe the Warriors is "deserves a championship" so you're not fooling anyone

Right now the numbers say they deserve it more than anyone outside of the '71 Bucks and '96 Bulls. Regular-season and playoffs combined MOV:

code:
Tm	Season	MOV
MIL	1970-71	1208
CHI	1995-96	1194
GSW	2016-17	1124
LAL	1971-72	1055
CHI	1991-92	992
GSW	2014-15	992
CHI	1996-97	991

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My proprietary SHOOKNESS stat says that the warriors don't deserve poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

They will most likely be pushing into the luxury tax this offseason, won't they? IIRC their cap holds put them into tax territory. And that timeline would put them into trying to get under the cap right when they have to sign Klay, plus who knows what kind of contract KD is gonna sign.

I guess I could see maybe Iguodala taking less, but even the MLE would be quite the haircut, let alone the tax-payer MLE if it comes to it. Livingston can and definitely should look for a payday at this point in his career.

Tax will be around 121. Assuming Durant ops out and gets his $35 million contract, Steph gets his DPE, they will be at about 105 with their main 4. If they resign Iggy and/or Livingston that will probably put them in tax and they don't have a real center (as they don't have any bird rights on Zaza).

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

leftist heap posted:

My proprietary SHOOKNESS stat says that the warriors don't deserve poo poo

drat good thing you ain't a NBA GM then

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zogo posted:

Different champions doesn't mean it's parity. That's just chaos and unpredictability.

Parity is a big lie. I can't recall one season of NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS where all the teams hovered around 50% WP%. No matter from nascency to fully developed with 100+ years of history (and all stages between). 1922 NFL had a team go 10-0-2 and another 0-0-8. One hundred years later it's the same story.

If parity was paramount then grade school sports would have the highest TV ratings.

No one who uses parity means a bunch of .500 teams each season. They mean over the course of a few seasons teams have legitimate chances to move up or down and that at the start of the season many teams have shots at a championship. It is far harder to do that in the NBA than any other league. Its not because of rules, it's just the nature of basketball.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rabid Snake posted:

drat good thing you ain't a NBA GM then

<extremely Dion Waiters voice> The NBA is lucky I'm home doing drat shitposts

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

Right now the numbers say they deserve it more than anyone outside of the '71 Bucks and '96 Bulls. Regular-season and playoffs combined MOV:

That's not what I meant by "deserve", Zogo. I love you though.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

The best defense I've ever seen against playoff Lebron came from Boris Diaw so I don't know what to expect

Remember that Boris Diaw is secretly one of the world's greatest athletes but cannot be brought to care about pedestrian feats like scoring or winning by anyone except his dear childhood friend Tonathan "Tony" Parkour

quote:

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult."

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lockback posted:

Tax will be around 121. Assuming Durant ops out and gets his $35 million contract, Steph gets his DPE, they will be at about 105 with their main 4. If they resign Iggy and/or Livingston that will probably put them in tax and they don't have a real center (as they don't have any bird rights on Zaza).

Smh at the disrespect for my MAIN MAN JAVALE

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Which team is gonna overpay for JaVale McGee, NBA finals participant?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

How many passes did you guys see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I saw the gorilla quite clearly but I think it's because I purposely watch off-ball movement in the 100+ basketball games I watch every year. I was off by one on the total number of passes, though.

I saw ONE gorilla costume.

Lockback posted:

Falk's idea is dumb though because how on earth do you differentiate the 38th best player from the 48th?

Some arbitrary stat threshold. Probably based on some whole number as that's the way things are done. Triple-double, millionaire, six-figures etc.

Lockback posted:

No one who uses parity means a bunch of .500 teams each season. They mean over the course of a few seasons teams have legitimate chances to move up or down and that at the start of the season many teams have shots at a championship. It is far harder to do that in the NBA than any other league. Its not because of rules, it's just the nature of basketball.

Yes, the confusion over the basic definition has been an issue.

There's also some confusion within this looser definition. We've had six different NBA champions in the last seven years and there are many who think that it's far harder to do that in the NBA than in other leagues. I call that amnesia.

If there was much more "parity" of that sort in the NBA right now they'd be giving out dual trophies to both finals participants. Congratulations to co-champions the Cleveland State Cavarriors.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

No one he's gonna resign with GS for literally whatever they'll pay him, there's no way he leaves after how hes been treated here vs everywhere else

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Javale getting paid while the league still thinks centers are worth paying for, he wants that Ian Mahinmi money

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Zogo posted:

We've had six different NBA champions in the last seven years and there are many who think that it's far harder to do that in the NBA than in other leagues. I call that amnesia.

LeBron counts as a single team though no matter what jersey he wears

Tae posted:

Javale getting paid while the league still thinks centers are worth paying for, he wants that Ian Mahinmi money

I dunno man I'll be gobsmacked if someone gives him more than 4 million. Everyone must know he'll turn back into a pumpkin elsewhere

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 18, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the noble warriors and their benevolent ownership, the only possible free agent destination

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Except every ring chasing veteran in the league is going to be clamoring to sign with the Warriors for the minimum. They will have their pick of the litter.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The B_36 posted:

The max contract really has no bearing on how much the owners pay the players as a whole (that's the BRI calculation), it only affects the guys at the top. The owners obviously want to pay the players less (every owner in every business wants to do that), but the max contract has nothing to do with that. IIRC, the max contract was a response to MJ getting $38mil a year one year contracts, and they didn't want it to get out of hand, which it was starting to.

Late reply, but big contracts before the max absolutely had an effect on how much they were paying players. The previous CBA had an option for the owners to cancel the contract if salaries exceeded some threshold of percentage of BRI, which they did and the biggest reason why was because (like you said), Bird-rights contracts for stars kept going up (this was the only mechanism by which player salaries kept growing as part of BRI because there was already a cap). That is, even though the cap existed, Bird exceptions meant teams still went over it paying unmaxed salaries. There was also no mechanism to enforce the BRI target because the escrow system wasn't around yet.

They wanted the max salary in the new CBA and played serious hardball by lockout to get it. The post-lockout CBA also introduced the escrow system so the owners wouldn't pay players more than the BRI target anymore.

The max contract was a clever move by the owners to drive a wedge between stars and non-stars.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Which team is gonna overpay for JaVale McGee, NBA finals participant?

I'm gonna go with the Los Angeles Lakers.

JaVale McGee is now 29 years old. He's got the crafty veteran experience that the Lakers need, plus he's a great pairing with Carmelo Anthony.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

The best defense I've ever seen against playoff Lebron came from Boris Diaw so I don't know what to expect

The best guys to defend Lebron are Lebron sized guys who are strong. They the passing lanes and force him to try and break them down or shoot his jumper, depending what they want from him. Historically, a Lebron sized man is the man who's been able to hold his own and let help come in due time rather than in a constant confused scramble. They didn't have someone Jaylen Brown's length or with his agility last year, but Lebron is a basketball genius so he'll bait him into everything.

Jae Crowder's arms are quite a bit shorter than Brown's and he's not nearly as agile. But Jaylen Brown is a rookie

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 18, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ex post facho posted:

spicy take: the league should contract by about 16 teams, their talent dispersed, change the first two rounds of the playoffs to best of three elimination, and shorten the season by about ~22 games.

either that, or start a 16 team "A league" and a 16 team "G league" (:rolleye: ), with the G league teams moving up to the A league based on wins and performance from that season.

i'm kinda realizing the nba is fairly pointless to watch in its current form until at least the playoff semis in most years, especially with the way talent is concentrated in both conferences and its killing my interest after watching the last 14 years or so pretty regularly. i'm a nuggets fan and think the league would probably be better off with jokic and gallinari on the lakers, knicks, boston, or houston. they'll never be fortunate enough to get another top-3 pick without intentionally tanking, and no free agents are interested in coming to denver. this is the same story all over the league if you're not a major media market or have the best coach/FO in the league in the spurs. you're also definitely not going to beat the cavs or the warriors 4 times in seven games.

why does the team need multiple nuggets, suns, bucks, hornets, grizzlies, magic, jazz, and bucks organizations? expansion's great and all but when individual talent is so critical to success in the nba it essentially locks 3/4ths of the league out of real competition unless they're incredibly lucky most years (narrator voice: they aren't) or you count on lebron/curry/durant injuring themselves (narrator voice: they won't).

Basketball is cool and it's cool to have a team in or near your city even if you don't win a championship.

Ghost Dog posted:

the regular season should be shortened, that parts very true

Lockout season number of games but regular season length, and make sure to place the all star break so it conforms to the golden ratio as is right and true in all sports (football changing their bye weeks ruined the sport).

edit I'm actually not sure they ever changed them but I feel like they used to work differently, maybe stopped earlier in the season?

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 18, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Except every ring chasing veteran in the league is going to be clamoring to sign with the Warriors for the minimum. They will have their pick of the litter.

People have been saying that since the Miami days, and while you do get occasional Ray Allen and David West type guys, they more frequently than not end up playing like David West (and get like 10 minutes a night).

Not saying they won't get guys, but I think the value of those players usually lands between true minimum and, like, mini-mle level players.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The league should keep a salary cap but have one designated franchise player contract that has no limits and is separate from the cap. Make that contract have a minimum amount of years they can offer. Less big names are going to want to team up when they can get paid more than a whole team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

People have been saying that since the Miami days, and while you do get occasional Ray Allen and David West type guys, they more frequently than not end up playing like David West (and get like 10 minutes a night).

Not saying they won't get guys, but I think the value of those players usually lands between true minimum and, like, mini-mle level players.

There was a lot of those types last offseason, which was weird considering a lot of them didn't go to the Cavs outside of the Deron Williams buyout.

Like, is there something that players don't like about Lebron? When the Rockets can get Nene for nothing but the Cavs got so talent depleted that Lebron literally said "We need some loving playmakers," it's very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I think it's just that there is rarely a guaranteed championship, and the Warriors are the closest thing to it.

• Locked thread