Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GoldfishStew posted:

Sorry y'all like basic flicks. Enjoy transformers.

It's a pretty great animated film, and it had loving everybody on the planet voicing someone in it. They even snagged Orson Wells. What the hell is wrong with you that you don't appreciate that film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mulva posted:

It's a pretty great animated film, and it had loving everybody on the planet voicing someone in it. They even snagged Orson Wells. What the hell is wrong with you that you don't appreciate that film?

Still amazed by that cast. Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, plus the regular legends Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Scatman Crothers and Chris Latta.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Casual posted:

Still amazed by that cast. Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, plus the regular legends Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Scatman Crothers and Chris Latta.

Featuring songs by Weird Al Yankovic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Franchescanado posted:

Generally one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the transformers movie takes an insane nosedive after the optimus/megatron battle.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

THE BAR posted:

:rock: Instruments of Destructiooooon :rock:

Groovelord Neato posted:

the transformers movie takes an insane nosedive after the optimus/megatron battle.

No way. The movie does slows down so we can breathe and picks up again when Unicron shows up. And the Hot Rod Galvatron fight inside Unicron is a much better fight anyway

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

THE BAR posted:

You got the touch! You got the powaaahhhhh, YEAH!

Death of Optimus theme still gets me choked up. Dare was drat good, too.

poo poo, this movie was released in '86, Quill was taken in '87. They need to reference that poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Franchescanado posted:

Pretty much unquestionably the greatest DEVO song of all time, as even they would admit.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phylodox posted:

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

I obviously like the movie and I haven't read all of BravestOfTheLamp's posts ITT, but I think he had a defensible point. There are some good visuals in this movie but also a lot of pretty so-so visuals; it's not really a movie that gets by on the strength of its visual storytelling. That makes it not quite great cinema to me but it's still an enjoyable movie because of the characters and humor. Though at times I also feel like Gunn went a bit overboard on the whole "undercut a dramatic or emotionally intense moment with a joke or pratfall" thing. Just a few times, but enough that I noticed.

But again I want to reiterate I actually had more fun with this movie than I've had in a long time with similar ones of its type. I don't know, it could be I'm just in a more mellow mood recently.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cnut the Great posted:

I obviously like the movie and I haven't read all of BravestOfTheLamp's posts ITT, but I think he had a defensible point. There are some good visuals in this movie but also a lot of pretty so-so visuals; it's not really a movie that gets by on the strength of its visual storytelling.

We're just going to have to, like, strongly disagree on that point. I went into this movie very conscious of visuals because of the recent Guardians of the Galaxy conversations I've had, and I was still blown away by how gorgeous this movie was. I'll have to wait for it to come out on home video to go in-depth, but the scene with Gamora sitting alone on the plains right before Nebula North by Northwests her, the Ravagers silhouettes and their searchlights appearing between the trees before Rocket ambushes them, the interior of Ego's temple, all of those stood out as great visuals.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Egos planet was so boring looking.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

Is it necessary to kick people when they're down? Like at least wait till the posters you're bashing here can get off probation to defend themselves (or like better yet don't post about posters man I dunno)

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Lol these cats dont even want to admit or discus this movies flaws or shortcomings. They just want to jerk off over some CGI.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol these cats dont even want to admit or discus this movies flaws or shortcomings. They just want to jerk off over some CGI.

Nobody wants to discuss the movie, they want to dump on you. That's what you signed up for when you became the new Lamps. If you didn't want the job, why did you run for it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

I thought the intro tour to Ego's planet was a little reminiscent of the landscape area of Willy Wonka's factory. I agree it wasn't embraced as much as it could have been (but I don't know how you could explore that without hurting the pacing), but that first scene was very colorful (though a little flat depth-wise), and each scene used a different color palette to keep it moving (rainbow palette for the intro, then white with red emphasis for the jackets, then greens, then blues (for the night scene), then oranges/red for Gamora's seclusion, oranges/greens for Drax and Mantis's conversation). All of it was framed very well. Plenty of wide-angle lenses, most of the characters stayed out of the center to keep the energy up. The internal parts of Ego's planets were a wonderful blend of greens and blues, which worked well for a backdrop of a golden army, while Ego's forms and veins were white and light blues.

What didn't you like about the visuals of Ego's planet? Specifically.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 17, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OptimusShr posted:

:rock: Instruments of Destructiooooon :rock:

That could totally be the theme song to another 80s cartoon, about mercenary pilots with a SWAT Kats/M.A.S.K/Raptor: Call of the Shadows aesthetic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I found the one thing that really pulled me out of the film is the super unrealistic aspects of part of the plot.

The one glaring error they had was the idea that a Dairy Queen would be so financially successful that it could operate for more than three consecutive decades and even undergo the loss of business and costs associated with renovation without shutting down.

Like, there is a certain suspension of disbelief required for all movies, but don't treat me like I'm an idiot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is Dairy Queen not doing well? There are, like, five Dairy Queens within a quick drive of where I live, and they all seem to be doing fine. One of them has been around long enough that it still has the old style sign.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it was a joke post.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ice cream is serious, guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

Ice cream is serious, guys.

I was joking and apparently accidentally exposed myself as an old man.

I just looked it up to be sure and Dairy Queen almost went bankrupt and shut down 50% of its stores in the 90's, but Warren Buffet bought it in 1998 and installed a new CEO. In 2015, they were the 10th biggest restaurant chain in the U.S. and the 2nd fastest growing in the world (behind Subway).

~*THE MORE YOU KNOW*~

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty accurate for a small Southern town's only chain to be an old Dairy Queen.

Subways and Bojangles are also really common.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There was a dairy queen in Kingston PA that has been there since I've been alive I'm pretty sure (I'm 32) and then they opened one up not that far away in Wilkes Barre in the 2000s, but it was a chill and grill and they had chocolate soft serve and that blew my mind.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dairy Queen [...] shut down 50% of its stores in the 90's

Well, it is hard to enjoy ice cream ironically.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dairy Queen is insanely popular up here in Manitoba and their re-opening after winter gets announced on the news.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Dairy Queen is insanely popular up here in Manitoba and their re-opening after winter gets announced on the news.

"Re-opening?" They temporarily close for the winter?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can't imagine a big need for ice cream during a Manitoba winter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, no one goes out searching for ice cream shops in -25C. Then again, I sometimes get slurpees from 7-11 in winter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Two of the three Dairy Queens here in Montreal's West Island stay open all year round.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Marvel vs. DC was the brand war of the 60's (and I guess 2010's again.)

But the great brand conflict of my life will always be Tastee-Freez vs. Dairy Queen.

RIP Tee and Eff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dairy Queen has a legit good fast food burg. That flamethrower one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Their chicken sandwich made me barf years ago - it tasted a bit soapy - I am sure it was just isolated to that one location but I haven't tried their hot food ever since. But I hear their burgs are legit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Should have been a Braums instead of DQ.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, serious question time:

Am I the only one who thought Ego's outfit in his sculpture egg things was basically the Beyonder's outfit colored red?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Filthy Casual posted:

This entire Transformers derail, I thought you guys were just dogpiling increasingly ridiculous bullshit (especially when I got to 'Weird Al soundtrack') but, wow.

Orson Welles. Scatman Crothers. Transformers 1986. Weird Al on the soundtrack. This is real. (In my defense, I was a pitiful 4 months old at the time of its release)

On topic:
This is more of just a general comment, and I'm not sure if it has to do more with an issue with my hearing, sound balance in theaters or a little bit on both ends, but when there's dialogue and shooting/exploding/fighting/'stings' happening at the same time in action/horror/whatever movies, the noise tends to drown over the dialogue, so I'm sure I missed some lines. Like, for example, In some of the Ravager scenes I didn't have much of a clue what the dialogue was, like when they had Groot in a little Ravager suit and they were spilling drinks on him, I just kind of assumed they were chanting 'mascot'?

I thought the plots were a liiiiiiiiittle stretched out this movie, and that at least one or two of them could have been trimmed up/shortened/combined. For example, the Soverign fleet returning during the first phase of the final battle just felt really kind of pointless (I know Taserface contacted them before the ship blew, but still), the Gamora/Nebula strained relationship dynamic went on a little long, and I especially felt the Peter/Gamora 'we have unspoken tension' portions were completely needless this time around. We already had it in the first movie. While I did like the scene of Yondu and Rocket tearing up the place, I feel like they could have easily still had that maybe not wiped out all of the Ravagers, and had Taserface and any remaining chase after Yondu to fill the 'annoying cannon fodder' baddies in the Ego battle rather than 'oh, hey its the Soverign drones again, whatever'.

I liked Yondu and Kraglin in this one over just about everyone else, really, though when Sly Stallone chewed him out at the beginning, it really smacked of 'hello, this is foreshadowing', but I can forgive it; kind of hoping Kraglin hangs around for part three, likely not as a full team member, but as least as a contact or something.

Overall while there were a few bungles here and there, I still had a good time.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

This entire Transformers derail, I thought you guys were just dogpiling increasingly ridiculous bullshit (especially when I got to 'Weird Al soundtrack') but, wow.

Orson Welles. Scatman Crothers. Transformers 1986. Weird Al on the soundtrack. This is real. (In my defense, I was a pitiful 4 months old at the time of its release)

All of that and we still didn't get to the best part, Kup the grumpy old Autobot war veteran.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, serious question time:

Am I the only one who thought Ego's outfit in his sculpture egg things was basically the Beyonder's outfit colored red?

I don't know about that, but Ego in GOTG2 has a lot in common with the Beyonder, and it would kind of surprise me if a Marvel geek like James Gunn didn't have him in mind at all when writing the character.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

to be fair to bravestoflamps doesn't he have that really good the name of the wind thread in ye olde book barne?

Well I am reminded of how I challenged people to find any good writing in that book, but nobody ever would because 1) they didn't really have the critical ability or confidence to find good writing and 2) there wasn't good writing to be found in that book.

The GotG movies occasionally have what is basically good-looking sci-fi environments and action, but like Cnut the Great pointed out the visual storytelling is lacking at best. The one example that struck me most was when GotG's villain is called Ego and is all about egoism and solipsism, but the direction or visual design doesn't bring any of that across. it was really bad, because you can convey domineering egoism pretty easily with camera angles or close-ups.

Oddly enough, Ronan was a much more convincing egoist because he was a narcissist who was really into performing a role.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 17, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come peter quill's mom didn't have a midwestern accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well I am reminded of how I challenged people to find any good writing in that book, but nobody ever would because 1) they didn't really have the critical ability or confidence to find good writing and 2) there wasn't good writing to be found in that book.

The GotG movies occasionally have what is basically good-looking sci-fi environments and action, but like Cnut the Great pointed out the visual storytelling is lacking at best. The one example that struck me most was when GotG's villain is called Ego and is all about egoism and solipsism, but the direction or visual design doesn't bring any of that across. it was really bad, because you can depict a domineering egotist with just camera angles or close-ups.

Oddly enough, Ronan was a much more convincing egoist because he was a narcissist who was really into performing a role.

Even if the themes of the film are not expressed visually, they certainly appear through plot and dialogue -- not just with Ego, but through the interactions of the other characters as well. Take Gamora and Nebula as an example; through Nebula's backstory we learn that Gamora's need to 'win' kept her from being the sister that Nebula needed. Or even something small like Rocket and Quill fighting over who was the best pilot. Throughout the entire story the characters are hampered by their need to be superior to everyone else around them. James Gunn is foremost a writer, so it seems natural that he expresses his themes through his script rather than his cinematography.

That being said, I'd like to argue that Gunn doesn't rely much on symbolic visuals, not for a lack of talent, but because GotGv2 (and 1, for that matter) is first and foremost a comedy and he's pushing hard to make the visuals funny instead of meaningful. This shows up right from the opening credits when the camera focuses on Groot dancing over the 'epic' action fight going on behind him. Or the Loony Tunes gravity trap of Rocket's that the Ravagers fall prey to. Or with Groot trying to retrieve Yondu's fin and bringing back increasingly absurd other things.

If you'd like to criticize the film's cinematography for being insufficiently humorous go ahead -- but in my opinion claiming it to be insufficiently profound misses the point entirely.

• Locked thread