Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm the guy wearing dad glasses walking a long a rural highway in the rain.

Well, he ain't wearing them anymore (because he got hit by a car and is dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

basic hitler posted:

what are you intending to signal when you use the term virtue signalling?

An easy way to think of virtue signaling is that when a Republican Senator gives tirade after tirade attacking gay people and calling them immoral and then gets caught sucking dick in a bathroom, that probably wasn't a legitimately held belief.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Well, he ain't wearing them anymore (because he got hit by a car and is dead).

In Hell Satan makes us post in gbs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

An easy way to think of virtue signaling is that when a Republican Senator gives tirade after tirade attacking gay people and calling them immoral and then gets caught sucking dick in a bathroom, that probably wasn't a legitimately held belief.

I have to question the value of handwaving away moralizing you don't like by suggesting it's not genuine

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

pushpins posted:

You should only follow Da Share z0ne and nothing else

dasharez0ne and the Wendy's twitter getting into a fight was peak Twitter

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NovemberMike posted:

That's the literal opposite of virtue signaling

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'virtue signaling' is what you say when you can't spell 'sanctimony', p sure

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

'virtue signaling' is what you say when you can't spell 'sanctimony', p sure
Yeah it basically means this.

I think it's a real phenomenon to a point, but as mentioned, there's a bit of a inkblot test element to it, since it's hard to discern from "people expressing their beliefs".

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Virtue signalling is letting everyone know how good you are so you can be part of their righteous group and not invoke their wrath.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rubellavator posted:

Virtue signalling is letting everyone know how good you are so you can be part of their righteous group and not invoke their wrath.

I'm something of a charity-donor :smug:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
It's OK - I've been called the N word before, by a black friend.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some guy: I think people should have access to healthcare that is free at the point of patient use.

Some retard: Haha wow virtue signal much??? Welcome to the club rear end in a top hat. Nobody cares you're soooo righteous lmao gently caress you buddy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
onwards
----------------------------->
together

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

basic hitler posted:

Some guy: I think people should have access to healthcare that is free at the point of patient use.

Some retard: Haha wow virtue signal much??? Welcome to the club rear end in a top hat. Nobody cares you're soooo righteous lmao gently caress you buddy.

I... think the intimation is that they talk the talk, but do not walk the walk by turning out to support the appropriate politicians.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

basic hitler posted:

Everyone else in line: Hurry up and order, we burgin back here

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

I... think the intimation is that they talk the talk, but do not walk the walk by turning out to support the appropriate politicians.

How do you decide if someone is for real and not an incredibly convenient caricature?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

basic hitler posted:

Toadvine posted:

Everyone else in line: Hurry up and order, we burgin back here

Do you mind? My son is trying to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2 here.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

basic hitler posted:

How do you decide if someone is for real and not an incredibly convenient caricature?

You can't, which is kind of a massive problem.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Streak posted:

it is to republicans though is the thing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
every time i talk with a republican who's actually politically active their main gripes are: people can sue businesses, there's too much regulation, and there's too many taxes.

i don't think these people are progressives or even potential progressives, so if they claim they would vote for bernie, i would not believe them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Streak posted:

nope.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Panzeh posted:

every time i talk with a republican who's actually politically active their main gripes are: people can sue businesses, there's too much regulation, and there's too many taxes.

i don't think these people are progressives or even potential progressives, so if they claim they would vote for bernie, i would not believe them

Most voters aren't politically active.

Trump appealed to regular voters' economic anxiety ("it's the economy stupid"). Bernie did too, minus all the terrible trump baggage.

Again, he couldn't have possibly have done worse than Hillary who didn't loving campaign in vital states.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Toadvine posted:

Most voters aren't politically active.

Trump appealed to regular voters' economic anxiety ("it's the economy stupid"). Bernie did too, minus all the terrible trump baggage.

Again, he couldn't have possibly have done worse than Hillary who didn't loving campaign in vital states.

I don't doubt that but I don't think bernie had much of a chance in the primary just because of hillary's inertia and bernie wasn't really in the democratic circles that helped, say, obama defeat hillary in 08.

He would've certainly done better in the regular.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Panzeh posted:

The biggest voting block in American are eligible voters that didn't vote. Those are the voters Bernie would have focused on, not shaving off Republican afraid of Trump like Hillary did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if "didn't vote" could win a state i think it would've won like 42 states in the election. there's a map out there somewhere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

if "didn't vote" could win a state i think it would've won like 42 states in the election. there's a map out there somewhere.

Yeah, really says it all.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Finally finished this book. It's a strange mix of listing off the idiotic, cynical, and duplicitous nature of HRC while simultaneously painting her as a sympathetic character that just had the universe take a poo poo on her as she was trying to break the ultimate glass ceiling.

It's like if someone recolored a photo of a gory murder scene to make the assorted blood and viscera look like melting ice cream.

I guess I can't really blame the authors. If they want access to future campaigns they have to at least try to humanize the subject even if it's a lovely dumpster fire of a candidate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elpato posted:

Finally finished this book. It's a strange mix of listing off the idiotic, cynical, and duplicitous nature of HRC while simultaneously painting her as a sympathetic character that just had the universe take a poo poo on her as she was trying to break the ultimate glass ceiling.

It's like if someone recolored a photo of a gory murder scene to make the assorted blood and viscera look like melting ice cream.

I guess I can't really blame the authors. If they want access to future campaigns they have to at least try to humanize the subject even if it's a lovely dumpster fire of a candidate.

I guess. Ugh, "future campaigns" being hillary's 2020 run.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Yeah. Screw "those people". They aren't good like we are. :smugdog: :hf: :smuggo:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

basic hitler posted:

well, for example, when a white person calls for white genocide without immediately following it up with suicide bombing a panera bread or at the very least a mouthful of buckshot, it's a good sign they may be virtue signaling

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah. Screw "those people". They aren't good like we are. :smugdog: :hf: :smuggo:

what good do these positions offer? why should i consider listening to someone who says that it's too easy to sue people?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MACDONALDS COFFEE A BURGLAR FELL THROUGH A SKYLIGHT AND SUED THE VICTIM BLARGALARLE *falls over backwards foaming at the the mouth*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

what good do these positions offer? why should i consider listening to someone who says that it's too easy to sue people?

These people sound pretty dumb.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zo posted:

well, for example, when a white person calls for white genocide without immediately following it up with suicide bombing a panera bread or at the very least a mouthful of buckshot, it's a good sign they may be virtue signaling

By this logic no one is actually anti abortion.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

These people sound pretty dumb.

Yeah, that's what republicans sound like

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, that's what republicans sound like

There's a whole (several) threads for that. Let's make fun of democrats for being the idiots they are here (because they let Hilldog run).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She should not have run again, imo

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

spacetoaster posted:

I guess. Ugh, "future campaigns" being hillary's 2020 run.

Haha, but yeah for reals though. She's never running again right? I mean... She's not. She can't be. There's just no loving way.

There's no loving way she runs again for any kind of thing anywhere, right?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

There's a whole (several) threads for that. Let's make fun of democrats for being the idiots they are here (because they let Hilldog run).

#imwithher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nice piece of fish posted:

Haha, but yeah for reals though. She's never running again right? I mean... She's not. She can't be. There's just no loving way.

There's no loving way she runs again for any kind of thing anywhere, right?

If Trump is impeached she'll run

• Locked thread