Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So CE or AFT for my first tier 4 skill on the Ognevoi?

aft. The russian DDs are not stealthy enough to save you much. Americsn DDs will still have first strike in you. And you shouldn't be that close to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just watched Jingle's Hood video. That sigma looks a lot like German sigma. What is the Hood supposed to be good at?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

Just watched Jingle's Hood video. That sigma looks a lot like German sigma. What is the Hood supposed to be good at?

Making money for WG.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

Getting Clear Sky with gimmick AA builds.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MikeC posted:

Tanking, I think. It has something silly like close to 70k HP, a really low citadel and strong belt armor that goes all the way up to the deck, plus really good firing angles.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

TheFluff posted:

Tanking, I think. It has something silly like close to 70k HP, a really low citadel and strong belt armor that goes all the way up to the deck, plus really good firing angles.

Makes sense. If there's anything the Hood, the last Battlecruiser actually built is known for, its durability in combat.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Much like the Bismarck is known for its excellent AA defense.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Velius posted:

Makes sense. If there's anything the Hood, the last Battlecruiser actually built is known for, its durability in combat.

Jingles actually covered that in the video. Being the last battlecruiser, the Hood was up-armored to the point that it was more of a Fast Battleship. Problem was, they didn't touch the deck armor. Deck armor that was built to defend against early WWI contact fused AP and not later timed fuses.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Triggerhappypilot posted:

On one hand: Wow, that essentially makes the Shokaku obsolete.

On the other hand: The reserve is tiny (you get only one spare TB squad per squad) and unlike the Saipan the planes are even tier, so it looks like you're gonna have to really baby your planes in it since they're not overleveled or disposable, like on a Japanese carrier.

Edit: also the surface detect range is crap compared to Japanese carriers so good luck trying to hide if you got caught out of position.
It actually gets lower tier planes (T7), not equal tier planes. And IJN planes aren't really disposable either; for reference Shokaku gets 24 TBs to the Enterprise's 20 total. If the Enterprise had a standard plane distribution it would have 26 TBs total. Treating your planes as IJN as disposable is a good way to deplane yourself in the late game. The only CV I'd say that truly has "disposable" planes is the fighters and DBs on the Midway, because 136 plane hangar lol.

Also that surface detect isn't really that bad. If you really want to see bad concealment you should look at the Midway: 16km detect without CE but with the module and I ended up shuffling my captains around (initially leaving my good captain in the Essex because it was cheaper that way) after getting shot one too many times.

Gwaihir posted:

*five* fighter squads in reserve vs only 2 for the Torpedo Bombers is :psyduck:
WG seems to love wacky plane reserves on the premium CVs (Kaga gets 50% of its reserves as TBs instead of 40% a standard distribution would have IIRC, and the 3/0/1 Saipan has a non-standard reserve distribution as well) and I kinda wish they'd stop it. That said, both the Saipan and Kaga both went through some pretty major plane load changes before release so they might switch it up on the Enterprise too.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 18, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So played the New York several games now. Pretty unimpressive. I was shattering shells on Fuso's belt at sub 5km range. I guess its maybe match making loving me over a bit, I have been bottom tier, as the lone T5 BB all 3 matches so far.

edit: make that 4 straight matches now. I am gonna be Gneisenau food.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 18, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MikeC posted:

So played the New York several games now. Pretty unimpressive. I was shattering shells on Fuso's belt at sub 5km range. I guess its maybe match making loving me over a bit, I have been bottom tier, as the lone T5 BB all 3 matches so far.

Tier 5 blows donkey balls. the NY is not particularly good. Try and stay angled. Lumber yourself into position. Soak as much damage as you can and remember the middle turret is a trap and not to broadside for it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MikeC posted:

Do you have the top hull? I think the pen on the guns increases. It is like the Colorado in that it's slow, but has a decent heal, decent AA. I never had problems with penetration from US AP but it could be the fact that tier 5 gets terrible mm.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Tier 5 blows donkey balls. the NY is not particularly good. Try and stay angled. Lumber yourself into position. Soak as much damage as you can and remember the middle turret is a trap and not to broadside for it.

It feels like I am just a big damage sponge. I am farming my fair share of damage but 34 second reloads seems absurd, also I am taking a ton of damage on nose shots. I guess 19mm plating doesn't stop much

Blindeye posted:

Do you have the top hull? I think the pen on the guns increases. It is like the Colorado in that it's slow, but has a decent heal, decent AA. I never had problems with penetration from US AP but it could be the fact that tier 5 gets terrible mm.

Honestly it feels like every tier is terrible mm. 2/3rds of my games are as bottom tier ship. Sample size around 50 games now confirmed now, I decided to keep track. All 4 NY games I was bottom tier and either the lone bottom tier BB or maybe I had 1 friend with me as bottom tier. Which is funny since as Wyoming, I was seeing no end to enemy New Yorks, Konigs, and Kongos.

And no I don't have top hull yet. Slowly getting there

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 18, 2017

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
The buff to Warspite's turret traverse makes it absolutely amazing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Blindeye posted:

Stock hull NY literally has worse pen than a South Carolina lol

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
New York is a giant piece of poo poo. Tier-wise Wyoming was better.

MikeC posted:

At burning.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 18, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I honestly used to really like the New York but I feel it's in a very similar situation as the Omaha where it's been power creeped on to the point where I have a hard time recommending people play it. That said I still quite enjoy my Texas and seem to do decent in it but it feels like you really have to work for it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Texas still seems okay when I play it, other than being slow as balls.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Torbo posted:

The buff to Warspite's turret traverse makes it absolutely amazing.

Does the captain need Expert Marksman?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I thought the New York was ok the big problem being you face T6 all the time and the Fuso, Bayern etc are absolute monsters.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Treating your planes as IJN as disposable is a good way to deplane yourself in the late game. The only CV I'd say that truly has "disposable" planes is the fighters and DBs on the Midway, because 136 plane hangar lol.

Yeah this is one of the biggest myths that non-CV players believe about CVs. I used to play CV's a lot (not so much now) and it was incredibly rare for me to finish any game with full squadrons. And from my observations of high tier games (playing as non-CV), it seems that every CV player is finishing games with partial squads except Midway and occasionally Hakuryu and of course Saipan.

BTW if you really want to shoot down planes, play Neptune. The AA rating is great plus with the range and smoke you are very often shooting down planes and the enemy CV has no idea what is happening. I haven't even taken MAA which is supposed to be the better choice on Neptune specifically, but went for AFT instead since apparently thats better for Minotaur.

Des Moines with DefAA is still the best AA ship in the game though, if you pop that with planes about 4-5km out they will all disappear and the CV can't even withdraw them in time.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I thought the New York was ok the big problem being you face T6 all the time and the Fuso, Bayern etc are absolute monsters.

The New York has crap range and while doing the BB shake, can really only bring 4 guns to bear. Meanwhile you have the Kongo mashing people at range and the Konig destroying any ship that would think to get within 8KM of it. It really doesn't have the guns, range, speed, or armor play with other BBs in its tier. The only New York that is decent is the Texas for its ability to introduce you to anti air.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I was hoping they would put some ships on discount today, but they're just plugging the drat Hood and nothing else. Mmph. Maybe I'll get a lovely boat from a container and before I ever actually buy one. :allears:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Hood Ultimate package is $100. For the same amount, I could buy enough doubloons to convert my premium XP into a Missouri.

I've spent plenty of money on this game but that is just not happening.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When is the Hood actually out in the EU? It doesn't seem to be in the 0.6.5 patch.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Clarence posted:

Does the captain need Expert Marksman?

Yea, still does. With Expert Marksman the 180 degree shift is 45ish seconds. With as nimble as the Warspite is, the quicker the guns can shift the better.

I'm impressed they learned its a good idea to sell commanders with a few points already.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Aramoro posted:

When is the Hood actually out in the EU? It doesn't seem to be in the 0.6.5 patch.

Tomorrow, with Bismarck missions.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

HFX posted:

The New York has crap range

With upgraded radar and artillery plotting room fitted it has a range of over 20km. That's not crap at all!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Man I really want the Hood now and actually would be willing to whale hard enough for the $100 bundle for all the extras but tiered bundle releases are dumb and I really don't want to encourage WG to do it more often.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Insert name here posted:

I honestly used to really like the New York but I feel it's in a very similar situation as the Omaha where it's been power creeped on to the point where I have a hard time recommending people play it.

This is the case. It compared well with the Kongo in everything but speed, which - to be clear - is a big deal, but when the Konig came along in all it's OP glory the NY suffered a lot.

There's nothing 'wrong' with the US standard battleships, but the only real gem in the whole line is the NC.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ice Fist posted:

There's nothing 'wrong' with the US standard battleships, but the only real gem in the whole line is the NC.

That's a funny way to spell Colorado, especially since the NC is a fast battleship, not a standard.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NTRabbit posted:

That's a funny way to spell Colorado, especially since the NC is a fast battleship, not a standard.

I was including the entire tree in the 2nd part of that post.

Basically: "The US BB tree is fine, but doesn't stand out until T8"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MikeC posted:

It feels like I am just a big damage sponge. I am farming my fair share of damage but 34 second reloads seems absurd, also I am taking a ton of damage on nose shots. I guess 19mm plating doesn't stop much

Honestly it feels like every tier is terrible mm. 2/3rds of my games are as bottom tier ship. Sample size around 50 games now confirmed now, I decided to keep track. All 4 NY games I was bottom tier and either the lone bottom tier BB or maybe I had 1 friend with me as bottom tier. Which is funny since as Wyoming, I was seeing no end to enemy New Yorks, Konigs, and Kongos.

And no I don't have top hull yet. Slowly getting there

That's because your bow is being over matched. 19*14.3 = 271.7 so anything that's 272mm and up in caliber size will over match you and literally every BB has larger guns than 272mm. If you don't have artillery plotting room, put that on, because you're so slow you need all the extra range you can get. Unfortunately the NY can not dictate fights so you just kind of have to roll with it.

Tier 5 MM is the pits. You constantly see 7s and if you're lucky you maybe see 6s. In the NY I usually just mashed W and sailed straight for awhile and hoped for the best.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

MadJackMcJack posted:

With upgraded radar and artillery plotting room fitted it has a range of over 20km. That's not crap at all!

So you put the plotting room on but still have crap effective range. I mean technically I can shoot at things 20+KM away in my Schanhorst, doesn't mean I should.

Here is the problem as Crazed has pointed out:
You don't have great armor like the Konig. You get penned a lot for full non citadel damage.
You don't have the Konig speed or firing rate which can close down the gap on you.
You don't have the speed/effective range to dictate the fight like the Kongo (which has poor armor).

This leaves you with a narrow window that you need to get the Kongo to stay in, or delay the time the Konig takes to get to you.

At least these are my impressions as I go from bad player to okay player. I'm in the New Mexico, but I will still go run my Texas from time to time. At least the Texas has the gimmick of making all the CVs hate you.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Texas is better because you can use the middle turret without going full broadside so you can stay reasonably angled and either stagger fire from the front 2 and the rear 3 or pivot just enough to get all 10 shells down range. The AA is just a wonderful bonus. Like Ice Fist is saying it isn't that the NY is incapable of doing well, but it needs some help to do it. I never played either of the lower tier IJN BBs, but the German ships are hilariously more powerful relative to the USA counter parts. Just comparing my tier 5 BBs I deal 53k and 52k respectively in the Konig and Texas while the NY languishes at 43k.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What is the most fun and profitable premium to buy for between 20-30 bones?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What is the most fun and profitable premium to buy for between 20-30 bones?

Nothing in that range is really super profitable, but I like the Molotov a lot. The Arizona is ok as well. I've heard good things about the Sims though.

If you can swing a few more bucks, get a Belfast though. That thing is a ticket to party town.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CitizenKain posted:

Nothing in that range is really super profitable, but I like the Molotov a lot. The Arizona is ok as well. I've heard good things about the Sims though.

If you can swing a few more bucks, get a Belfast though. That thing is a ticket to party town.

The Belfast isn't exactly an 'easy mode' ship, though.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Scharnhorst, on the other hand, for a bit more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Belfast isn't exactly an 'easy mode' ship, though.

True. But even bad Belfast games can rack up some good money.

On the Belfast though, the only real downside to it is that its a pretty bad RN crew trainer, since you need IFHE on it. And that skill is 100% useless for other RN ships.