Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

RatHat posted:

Yeah even at level 1 Combat Focus is ridiculously good.

EDIT: So there was a weapon cut from the game(a disc rifle) that had an AI in it and actually talked to you. It eventually starts questioning it's own existence and realizes it hates violence, so it starts asking to be recycled. You can either do that or turn it into a Medical Operator(which gets you a one-time boost). Here's the full dialog along with the model. Only very minor spoilers.

Oh that's cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit disappointed in the enemy types but the game itself makes up for it. I'm probably about 75 percent through doing a shotgun hobo run.

I wish they had more technological enemy types outside of turrets and operators. Also wish the Typhon were a bit more interesting than just black.

I really like the world building and all the exploration.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

But I also am doing human only, so I never make psi thingies.

Combat Sense is a psi related ability that is "human only".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just got through the GUTS to the Arboreteum. This is a great game. Anyway, I have a pretty wild theory about where this game is going (you should only read this if you've finished the game or are willing to take a chance that some rando figured out a big plot twist).

you're not actually Morgan Yu, you're a Typhon Mimic-style organism that got Neuromod'd with Morgan Yu's brain pattern and so is Mimicing him/her for the whole game.

Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong! I'm just putting it out here for posterity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Malek posted:

Combat Sense is a psi related ability that is "human only".

True, but the psi hypos are common enough that I don't need to make more.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Verdugo posted:

Also wish the Typhon were a bit more interesting than just black.
The general aesthetic of the Typhon is novel because I don't think this kind of visual effect was feasible in videogames until relatively recently. On the downside there is not much room for variation within this aesthetic. All the Typhon are just masses of this fuzzy black stuff in different shapes.

In terms of mechanics they're great. Each Typhon has it's own weird quirks and attack styles. I love fighting these guys.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Amorphous black monster creatures were pretty lame in Resident Evil 5, were pretty lame in Resident Evil 7, and seem pretty lame here.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
At least the Typhon look more interesting than RE7's stock horror game monsters. But yeah, the game could've used some more enemy variety, it's really my only complaint.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Many were definitely more fun to fight against. SS2 had a lot of "oh god what the gently caress is that" moments that Prey really lacks.

E: thinking about it I just now realized that mind controlled humans are the equivalent of SS2 protocol droids

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 17, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any reason to avoid stunning or mindjacking mindcontrolled people in favor of killing the telepath? Or any reason to favor one or the other?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any reason to avoid stunning or mindjacking mindcontrolled people in favor of killing the telepath? Or any reason to favor one or the other?

My only worry is that Typhon will aggro onto the free human and kill them but I don't know if that can happen.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Ravenfood posted:

It doesn't matter at all, even to the ending. The mind controlled count as already dead... even though I stun gunned every single one of them.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

RatHat posted:

EDIT: So there was a weapon cut from the game(a disc rifle) that had an AI in it and actually talked to you. It eventually starts questioning it's own existence and realizes it hates violence, so it starts asking to be recycled. You can either do that or turn it into a Medical Operator(which gets you a one-time boost). Here's the full dialog along with the model. Only very minor spoilers.

lol this was a fantastic idea that fit amazingly well into the theme of the game, I'm sorry it got scrapped

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It is. A long range high power, slow fire weapon would be a great addition as well.

You could also block it's empathy and keep it as a gun.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So out of curiosity, I tried the speedrunning exploit they use in this video -- specifically, I wanted to get the General Access key so I can sequence break, get Typhon neuromods and complete the intro sequence using them just for shits and giggles. (Probably won't change anything. :v:)

But interestingly enough, it looks like there's some debug area on top of Morgan's office where the speedrunner gets the key (at ~2:10), and there's a bunch of items there, including:

:iiam:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RatHat posted:

...wasn't that a Borderlands 2 quest?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
As someone who likes to explore everywhere and find all the things (also kill all the bad things, to make exploring less stressful), I can safely say the level design and sense of space in this game is beyond amazing.

I have just about cleared everything I can find in Arboretum, and that has to be the best area yet. Have found...well, a lot of stuff I guess - saved all the mind-controlled crew, made me some superfruit, have my own turret army, found a way up to the 'top'.

No doubt I missed some poo poo, and there's a level 4 hack I can't do yet in Alex's office, but overall, holy gently caress - this is better than best game ever (System Shock 2 ofc), and am having as much fun playing now as a grizzled veteran of this kind of explore-em-up as I did last century.

And look - got as as high up as I can to get a view of stuff, and ooh...what is this?

You can go to an airlock, blast into space, and actually get inside the fucker and find more stuff.

:pcgaming:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

The quest in Borderlands was: A loader robot has decided it doesn't want to kill people after you best it in a fight a couple times and asks you to bring it to an NPC to have it turned into a shield, so that it can help you. You can then immediately disobey its wishes and have it turned into a gun anyway, which it doesn't really mind after all as it turns out. Either way, both versions talk to you and are generally very useful.

There also is a gun that comments discouragingly about your insane rampant murder spree in a very sarcastic manner. It is gained from doing a quest with absolutely no reward except for the gun, which is to kill literal hundreds of bandits.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 18, 2017

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Did they gently caress around with how the Steam version of the game reads controllers in the last week or so?

The last time I played this was two Saturdays ago, and I was using a Dualshock 4, with Steam's DS4 configuration support turned on and being used to make the Right Joystick output a Right Joystick for aim. Also, in Prey's own options menu, Steam Controller support was also turned on because I had been fooling around with controlling the game with a Steam Controller before switching to the DS4.

Today I boot the game up again, and the Right Joystick on my DS4 will only move the aim a tiny, tiny bit. I went to the Profile Browser for Steam's controller configuration and applied the Official DS4 Profile. This made the Right Joystick aim properly again, but I noticed that in the Official DS4 Profile the Right Joystick was set to output Relative Mouse and not Right Joystick. If I changed it output the right stick instead it would stop working.

If I turn off Steam Controller support in the options for Prey, the game will stop recognizing any input from my DS4 at all, but will still pick up my Xbox One controller. No other games have trouble using the Right Joystick, just Prey.

The odd thing to me is that the controller profile that was applied when I first booted Prey today was a modified version of the Official DS4 Profile that I had played for hours with two weekends ago, which leads me to think that when the game was originally launched it was using the Right Joystick of a DS4 just as you would expect and then a patch changed something which required the Official DS4 Profile to be swapped to output Relative Mouse for aim.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

This is actually from a Steam beta which enables emulation of "legacy" Xinput controllers as Steam controllers. Despite the best of their intentions, they can't emulate everything, and Prey in particular seems to expect inputs that don't exist on emulated controllers.

The tl;dr is: Turn off Steam beta channel and see how it goes. First time having that enabled ever gave me issues but welp. :shrug:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Jan posted:

This is actually from a Steam beta which enables emulation of "legacy" Xinput controllers as Steam controllers. Despite the best of their intentions, they can't emulate everything, and Prey in particular seems to expect inputs that don't exist on emulated controllers.

The tl;dr is: Turn off Steam beta channel and see how it goes. First time having that enabled ever gave me issues but welp. :shrug:

I really doubt that is the cause, as I've never enabled any beta options in Steam and the beta options are not currently enabled in either the standard Steam settings or in Big Picture. My current client build is from April 25th. If there is someplace else where a beta client can be enabled and they opted me in by default, then I don't know about it.

I've futzed around with Prey and Steam a little more and what is clear to me is that currently the game is not accepting Joystick input for Aim on a DS4. If I use the Steam Controller Configurator to set the Style of Output for either of the joysticks on my DS4 to "Movement", which is a classification created by Arkane Studios for this game's Profile and has a Prey-specific hook, then it doesn't matter whether I set them to output the Right or Left joystick to the game because Prey is using all (raw?) joystick output from a DS4 to move your character.

If those same joysticks have their Style of Output set to "Joystick Move", which would be the standard Xinput stuff every other game uses, then the joystick are completely ignored by Prey.

However, if I use the Steam Controller Configurator to edit the Profile and set the Style of Output for a joystick to "Aim", which is another Arkane original, then it will accept emulated mouse-input from a DS4 joystick and use that for aiming your view. However, I doubt that the standard aim-assist that you would get on a console would apply.

I understand that this garbage can be really hard to understand since there are so many layers of options, and it must not make any sense to anyone who hasn't been diddling with Steam controllers for a bit. But I had a working configuration before I put Prey down for almost two weeks, and when I came back it didn't work anymore. Somebody changed something, and it was probably Arkane. I just don't know why.

Edited to be more accurate and make a little more sense.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 18, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

So I followed December's advise and took the escape pod out and got a good ol fashioned game over

my problem is now I think I figured out what the twist is and i'm bummed out. I'm guessing you're playing as the human typhon some of the logs and etc talk about early on, and the dialogue from the escape pod ending make me think the whole game is some kind of test and my character is gonna end up chopped up by alex no matter what.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

So I followed December's advise and took the escape pod out and got a good ol fashioned game over

my problem is now I think I figured out what the twist is and i'm bummed out. I'm guessing you're playing as the human typhon some of the logs and etc talk about early on, and the dialogue from the escape pod ending make me think the whole game is some kind of test and my character is gonna end up chopped up by alex no matter what.

That was the first "ending" I got too, followed by the same guess as yours, but the actual ending still took me for a loop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Copper Vein posted:

I really doubt that is the cause, as I've never enabled any beta options in Steam and the beta options are not currently enabled in either the standard Steam settings or in Big Picture. My current client build is from April 25th. If there is someplace else where a beta client can be enabled and they opted me in by default, then I don't know about it.

I've futzed around with Prey and Steam a little more and what is clear to me is that currently the game is not accepting Joystick input for Aim on a DS4. If I use the Steam Controller Configurator to set the Style of Output for either of the joysticks on my DS4 to "Movement", which is a classification created by Arkane Studios for this game's Profile and has a Prey-specific hook, then it doesn't matter whether I set them to output the Right or Left joystick to the game because Prey is using all (raw?) joystick output from a DS4 to move your character.

If those same joysticks have their Style of Output set to "Joystick Move", which would be the standard Xinput stuff every other game uses, then the joystick are completely ignored by Prey.

However, if I use the Steam Controller Configurator to edit the Profile and set the Style of Output for a joystick to "Aim", which is another Arkane original, then it will accept emulated mouse-input from a DS4 joystick and use that for aiming your view. However, I doubt that the standard aim-assist that you would get on a console would apply.

I understand that this garbage can be really hard to understand since there are so many layers of options, and it must not make any sense to anyone who hasn't been diddling with Steam controllers for a bit. But I had a working configuration before I put Prey down for almost two weeks, and when I came back it didn't work anymore. Somebody changed something, and it was probably Arkane. I just don't know why.

Edited to be more accurate and make a little more sense.

Official DS4 Steam support has always been buggy, had unimplemented features, and been generally inconsistent for me. I gave up trying and now stick to DS4Windows. Despite disabling it, it sometimes still manages to gently caress things up. I'm surprised Valve released it from Beta in the state it's in.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Speedball posted:

Haha, yes, pretty much. :EFB:

quote:

this is better than best game ever (System Shock 2 ofc),
drat straight :clint:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It is. A long range high power, slow fire weapon would be a great addition as well.

You could also block it's empathy and keep it as a gun.

If it wasn't an implementation issue, they probably scrapped it because it doesn't fit the rest of the game. There aren't many longer ranged options because they want you to close in to get most things done.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you do want to go long range, the golden pistol becomes a laser beam once you fully upgrade accuracy. If you crouch it completely shrinks the crosshairs together and you can snipe away.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone find the keycard for the storage room in I.T. Security(in the Lobby)?

Also do multiple of the same chipset stack?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RatHat posted:

Also do multiple of the same chipset stack?

Sadly no, equipping a duplicate chipset simply unequips the first one.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RatHat posted:

Anyone find the keycard for the storage room in I.T. Security(in the Lobby)?

You can get that if you're playing the game as a violent sociopath, and you kill pretty much everyone. But if you're playing normally, you won't get it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does that mean it's impossible to find every crewmember if you're not doing a "Kill everyone" run?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Malek posted:

It doesn't matter at all, even to the ending. The mind controlled count as already dead... even though I stun gunned every single one of them.

Actually, it does. One of the operators in the ending reacts positively if you save a lot of mind controlled people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If anybody's interested in making the game...harder that modder who discovered the unused weapon already made little mods that give typhons more health or remove HUD indicators etc.

He also made a sort of sight-seeing mode where all enemies are neutral and won't attack you.

Here's a link.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Palpek posted:

If anybody's interested in making the game...harder that modder who discovered the unused weapon already made little mods that give typhons more health or remove HUD indicators etc.

He also made a sort of sight-seeing mode where all enemies are neutral and won't attack you.

Here's a link.

god I love MODS

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RatHat posted:

Does that mean it's impossible to find every crewmember if you're not doing a "Kill everyone" run?

Some of the other similar achievements trigger before finding 100% everything. I suspect that this is similar.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just finished this last night. Was pretty good. I don't know that the SS2 comparisons would be so common if it wasn't scifi. On a gameplay level, most of what it shares with Shock are elements it shares with all the LG influenced immersive sims.

Really, this is mostly Arx Fatalis in space. Giant metroidvania game world with versatile powers and an extremely flexible critical path/narrative. Which is cool because Arx Fatalis was a great and under-appreciated game.

I do think a lack of enemy and environment variety will keep me from remembering it as fondly as the Dishonoreds and LG's classics. The back half of the game felt pretty tedious. But I'll still put it a notch above the Deus Ex prequels.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
Holy I just understood the ending. Big ending spoiler below.

So at the end, the operators and Alex are judging the typhon who played the simulation as Morgan Yu. They're judging Yu. They're also judging you. Did Morgan Yu show empathy to humans on the station? Well, did you as Yu show empathy? The typhon have no mirror neurons so they don't recognize other creatures as living, feeling individuals. Did you acting as Yu act as an alien who doesn't see people, or did the experiment work -- did you as Yu see the scripted NPCs as people too?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

Holy I just understood the ending. Big ending spoiler below.

So at the end, the operators and Alex are judging the typhon who played the simulation as Morgan Yu. They're judging Yu. They're also judging you. Did Morgan Yu show empathy to humans on the station? Well, did you as Yu show empathy? The typhon have no mirror neurons so they don't recognize other creatures as living, feeling individuals. Did you acting as Yu act as an alien who doesn't see people, or did the experiment work -- did you as Yu see the scripted NPCs as people too?

Dang that's actually some pretty clever writing.
Especially the last part.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah that's what I liked about the ending as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I do wonder if the "You = Yu" thing is intentional.