Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dead Reckoning posted:

There are some pretty obvious and reliable signs of higher strategic force posture, but foamer plane spotters watching FlightAware and radio HAMs listening to how often people repeat their callsign on GHFCS aren't going to be the canaries in the coal mine for armageddon, because they are always looking for secret, esoteric signs instead of the obvious ones.

If half a dozen unrelated people post, "hey, like 30 planes just took off from Minot/Barksdale/Whiteman" in short order, that's when it's time to grab your rifle and head for the hills.

gently caress dude what if we don't have a rifle and we specc'd into melee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Somehow, magically, I'd like to see Paul Ryan and Turtle head to somehow be implicated or have something otherwise terrible happen to them :pray:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Imagine if more people are at trumps resignation/impeachment than were at his inauguration

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

McMaster will be the Al haig to trumps nixon

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Blind Rasputin posted:

Cool anime katana skills are very applicable in dystopian futures!

Tonight was the first time my dad said anything acknowledging that Trump's smoke is suspicious. Boomers are catching on!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm not looking forward to President Bury Your Gays.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Pence is a monster but I'm not worried about him launching nuclear weapons because Rosie O'Donnell twittered a meme.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Lol if you don't think Mike Pence's one job since being nominated for VP has been staying clean enough to survive an impeachment.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

McMaster will be the Al haig to trumps nixon

Shame Powers Booth passed away recently.

Like I said Haig gets remembered by the public at large for the day Reagan got shot which is such a huge disservice to all the good he did for this country.

We should all hope McMaster is as good as Haig.

Also would Mattis also be in the running for pulling a Haig?

Edit: also :lol: if you specced as Melee in this country

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hope you've got a Ballistic Fist.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Huh, I just realized I'm officially at a point where even his walking annoys me. Useless obstructionist no-chin bitch baby.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's the significance of the Mueller appointment?

Because Sessions recused from the Russia investigation, appointed by deputy AG Rosenstein (maybe Trump shouldn't have tried to throw him under the bus re: Comey's firing)

Prosecutor most of his career, a bureaucrat (in its best sense) not a politician
Beholden to nobody
Comey was deputy AG when Mueller was FBI director
It was Mueller and Comey who threatened to resign over Bush 2's domestic wiretapping program until some unspecified changes were made to make it less unconstitutional.
Mueller backed Comey's play to prevent Alberto Gonzalez and Andrew Card from badgering John Ashcroft on his sickbed to sign off on the domestic wiretapping.

The DoJ has promulgated its own rules for special prosecutors.
Pertinent parts:

quote:

(a)Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

quote:

A Special Counsel may request the assignment of appropriate Department employees to assist the Special Counsel. The Department shall gather and provide the Special Counsel with the names and resumes of appropriate personnel available for detail. The Special Counsel may also request the detail of specific employees, and the office for which the designated employee works shall make reasonable efforts to accommodate the request. The Special Counsel shall assign the duties and supervise the work of such employees while they are assigned to the Special Counsel. If necessary, the Special Counsel may request that additional personnel be hired or assigned from outside the Department. All personnel in the Department shall cooperate to the fullest extent possible with the Special Counsel.

quote:

Subject to the limitations in the following paragraphs, the Special Counsel shall exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney. Except as provided in this part, the Special Counsel shall determine whether and to what extent to inform or consult with the Attorney General or others within the Department about the conduct of his or her duties and responsibilities.

quote:

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.
Caveat:, the AG (or in this case, his deputy) has inherent authority to appoint a special prosecutor with whatever rules the AG wants to apply. There is no indication that this is being done.
E: Mueller's been appointed according to the DoJ rules:

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 18, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Isn't Jeff Sessions the head of the DoJ? If so, why would he, or his office, choose a guy who isn't a push over?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cowboy elvis posted:

Isn't Jeff Sessions the head of the DoJ? If so, why would he, or his office, choose a guy who isn't a push over?

Because he recused himself from the Russia investigation, it's not his call. Check and mate, bitch!
And Rosenstein is a bureaucrat (again, in its best sense), not a politician, and Trump already tried to burn him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cowboy elvis posted:

Sessions has recused himself and can't touch the Russia investigation. Trump threw the only other person who can do something about the social council under the bus.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

RFC2324 posted:

Sessions has recused himself and can't touch the Russia investigation. Trump threw the only other person who can do something about the social council under the bus.

LOL

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The Wikipedia edit wars right now are hilarious

Only registered members can see post attachments!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is really big.

Apparently Bob Mueller will not be able to be removed by the President. Mueller will be a Civil Servant and will have Civil Service protections.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/864973220654579716

It *appears* it could lead to the Watergate thing that Donnie could order the firing of the dude and then the Attorney General / Deputy Attorney General would have to do it or Donnie could fire them until someone does end up doing the firing. Sort of unclear, but it's not a direct line from Donnie to Mueller.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Can Sessions get booted out too? I feel a lot of people are complicit with this poo poo.

Gimme President Mattis please

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Capn Beeb posted:

Can Sessions get booted out too? I feel a lot of people are complicit with this poo poo.

Potentially. He could get tied up for obstruction. But before you get president mattis you need Trump, Pence, Ryan, Hatch, Tillerson, and Mnuchin to all go down.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Potentially. He could get tied up for obstruction. But before you get president mattis you need Trump, Pence, Ryan, Hatch, Tillerson, and Mnuchin to all go down.

poo poo I thought Mattis was after Hatch :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
President Mattis sounds cool.

I hope he appoints Rudy to Department of Fashion.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Reverand maynard posted:

we need a WWE commentator during the hearing

Steve Machett and David Hobbs.

:colbert:

M_Gargantua posted:

Cool anime katana skills are very applicable in dystopian futures!

This story will be so much cooler if it ends in reds committing seppuku on the steps of the capitol.

Capn Beeb posted:

Jokes aside, yes.

In fact, don't be surprised if it happens.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/T_FisherKing/status/864991265934512129

:lol:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

eat poo poo you ancient turtle

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

eat poo poo you ancient turtle

He actually eats ocean pollutants like oil and plastic waste, don't diet shame

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

And fast enough to not be able to nominate a new vp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Both McConnell and Gingrich are in their mid-70s. With any luck they'll be dead in a few years.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I don't think we are gonna get lucky, but I would love to see Pence, Ryan and McConnell go down swinging if Trumpster fire goes down. I'm still in shock that these fucks aligned themselves with, and defended that idiot just to pass their agenda.

It will be nice to see the trumps and lushness fade off into obscurity though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm laughing at the gigantic irony of trump telling Hillary he was gonna have a special prosecutor to investigate her and welp

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
lol you idiots think anything matters

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

https://twitter.com/mollyesque/status/864924849797464064

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Mitch McConnell:

2 seconds AFTER seeing a lettuce leaf

2 seconds BEFORE :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Zeris posted:

:bisonyes: , channel the cspam

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeris posted:

Stop the white noise "nothing matters" poo poo, even aside from the possibility of Trump going down there is a very significant shake-up unfolding before us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Both McConnell and Gingrich are in their mid-70s. With any luck they'll be dead in a few years.

Sexual maturity is reached at around 20–25 years in captivity, possibly 40 years in the wild.[99] Life expectancy in the wild is thought to be over 100 years,[100][101] making it one of the longest-lived species in the animal kingdom. Harriet, a specimen kept in Australia Zoo, was the oldest known Galápagos tortoise, having reached an estimated age of more than 170 years before her death in 2006.[102] Chambers notes that Harriet was probably 169 years old in 2004, although media outlets claimed the greater age of 175 at death based on a less reliable timeline.[103]

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm so hard right now

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Mueller seems like such a good choice that if he can't find anything, that's probably the truth then.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And then this breaking headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

cowboy elvis posted:

And then this breaking headline.

The news tornado does not know how to slow down and we all live in a trailer park.

• Locked thread