Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
:worship: kaom's heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
They probably could have picked any one of those and ran with just one, all three (no vp, less leech, less total es) seems pretty excessive

I mean, obviously we'll see how it gets tweaked in the beta but idk, ES might be worse than life is right now

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the time of the zerker is nigh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

terrified of my bathroom posted:

They probably could have picked any one of those and ran with just one, all three (no vp, less leech, less total es) seems pretty excessive

I mean, obviously we'll see how it gets tweaked in the beta but idk, ES might be worse than life is right now

If they keep it like that, active CI builds are 100% dead. You cannot play active builds with 33% reduced es and no vaal pact. I suspect they'll either do some massive changes to core mechanics (like remove reflect), or go back on the vp change during beta.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That is kinda the point of the beta.
Also the VP change is the one they're least likely to go back on.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Remove reflect, telegraph volatiles better. Game will be good?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Path of Exile: ES Memorial Thread

:rip:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the vaal pact change is the best of the lot so i hope it doesn't get reverted. all of the defensive build paths using the same mechanic for survival is dumb

if you're worried about nearly all the balance changes revealed so far being nerfs, keep in mind that there's going to be a new progression system in fall of oriath with the god's blessing thingy they showed off in the reveal

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Atziri's uber gloves would still let you insta-leech with ES, wouldn't they?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ein Sexmonster posted:

That is kinda the point of the beta.
Also the VP change is the one they're least likely to go back on.

VP is probably the most broken of the three but i don't really know how they fix it without just straight up removing it

i think a half decent option here would be to nerf the scaling of es nodes in the tree all over instead of nerfing the flat es on gear, right now the average es node is like 10%+ and most life nodes are 4-5. that way you actually have to choose between investing points into ehp or damage. keep the leech nerf too maybe and then do more targeted nerfs to specific builds (like LL RF guardians).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

VP is probably the most broken of the three but i don't really know how they fix it without just straight up removing it
By moving the keystone back to the bottom left where it originally was?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Count Uvula posted:

Atziri's uber gloves would still let you insta-leech with ES, wouldn't they?

If they don't change this those gloves are going through the roof

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

lurksion posted:

By moving the keystone back to the bottom left where it originally was?

i mean yeah, thats an option but the problem is that instant leech turns the game into "instantly heal anything that isn't a one-shot". then the devs have to balance around that and they're shoehorned into making more one-shot mechanics, which i don't think anybody really likes that much

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

dyzzy posted:

If they don't change this those gloves are going through the roof

Acuities back to the old glory days of being worth 300ex?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

i mean yeah, thats an option but the problem is that instant leech turns the game into "instantly heal anything that isn't a one-shot". then the devs have to balance around that and they're shoehorned into making more one-shot mechanics, which i don't think anybody really likes that much

They dont have to kill vaal pact for that. A few years ago they nerfed the poo poo out of leech values because they felt single target leech was too strong. Leech gem went from 7% to 2% for instance. Then for some godforsaken reason they made a flask that gives you 20% leech and increased dps tenfold. You really cant play active CI builds without vaal pact while reflect is a thing.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
One thing that I hope they do is that they're just taking the top most builds down from 25K down to 15 K and leaving the midrange at like 8 or 9K. It would suck big time to have to start playing in yellow maps with only 5KES.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

TheRat posted:

They dont have to kill vaal pact for that. A few years ago they nerfed the poo poo out of leech values because they felt single target leech was too strong. Leech gem went from 7% to 2% for instance. Then for some godforsaken reason they made a flask that gives you 20% leech and increased dps tenfold. You really cant play active CI builds without vaal pact while reflect is a thing.

yeah, i guess

reflect also sucks though and i wouldn't shed a single tear if they removed it from the game

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

yeah, i guess

reflect also sucks though and i wouldn't shed a single tear if they removed it from the game

Ironically reflect used to be a handbrake to stop the dps-to-defence balance getting out of hand, heh

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

One thing that I hope they do is that they're just taking the top most builds down from 25K down to 15 K and leaving the midrange at like 8 or 9K. It would suck big time to have to start playing in yellow maps with only 5KES.
I don't understand what top builds are at 25K except for those specifically building for it (Guardian aurabots, Dyness tank) and in which case they could, I don't know, nerf those mechanics specifically?

Because they certainly aren't the norm, and midrange is already 8-9K, which looks to be shuttered down to 5-6K given the numbers discussed (8K * .7 / 1.15 = 4.9K). Like why would you ever choose to go CI over life with those numbers? I think everyone acknowledges life is better then ES point for point, ES was just able to get more points.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 18, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lurksion posted:

I don't understand what top builds are at 25K except for those specifically building for it (Guardian aurabots, Dyness tank) and in which case they could, I don't know, nerf those mechanics specifically?

Because they certainly aren't the norm, and midrange is already 8-9K, which looks to be shuttered down to 5-6K given the numbers discussed (8K * .7 / 1.15 = 4.9K). Like why would you ever choose to go CI over life with those numbers?

ES is absurdly overpowered. It desperately needed a massive nerf. This is a bit over the top though, but that's what betas are for. 8-9k es is not midrange at all for CI btw. That's entry level as gently caress.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TheRat posted:

ES is absurdly overpowered. It desperately needed a massive nerf. This is a bit over the top though, but that's what betas are for. 8-9k es is not midrange at all for CI btw. That's entry level as gently caress.
I think you overestimate what average gear levels most people will reach. Getting past 9K ES generally is multi-exalt territory I feel.

Also e.g. 12k ES * 0.7 / 1.15 = 7.3K ES, back in high end life territory.

EDIT: Also not all ES builds use shields which is a big chunk.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 18, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone tell me one last broken build for me to play on this league with my first and likely only ever 6-link shav.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Elentor posted:

Someone tell me one last broken build for me to play on this league with my first and likely only ever 6-link shav.

Have you already tried golemancer or animate weapon?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lurksion posted:

I think you overestimate what average gear levels most people will reach. Getting past 9K ES generally is multi-exalt territory I feel.

Also e.g. 12k ES * 0.7 / 1.15 = 7.3K ES, back in high end life territory.

EDIT: Also not all ES builds use shields which is a big chunk.

For example, my WI CWC SR thingie that was suggested, which has served me very well into the start of red maps...I'm at 6k ES, and I feel like I'd have to spend a butt-ton getting a whole lot more than that.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
ES values are pretty wildly over the place tbh, a two-handed non-occultist build with entry level gear will probably be 5-6k whereas an occultist with an es shield can push 8k for cheap np

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Really glad to see the end of pure ES characters being the braindead easy end game choice. Hybrids are more interesting, and it sounds like they're a real possibility now instead of a doomed gimmick.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It really looks like that GGG is doing some major work on the areas that are super unbalanced, like es and double dipping. Are there any other systems that are super out of whack that would be great for them to take a look into? I know they buffed single-handed damage last patch and I've heard that it still sucks, anything else?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy shitfuck, seeya CI. Crippled pool and leech no longer working mean only ZO or Occultist are at all reliable, and both of them are getting hammered into the ground on the base values anyway.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Lechtansi posted:

It really looks like that GGG is doing some major work on the areas that are super unbalanced, like es and double dipping. Are there any other systems that are super out of whack that would be great for them to take a look into? I know they buffed single-handed damage last patch and I've heard that it still sucks, anything else?

unique flasks are really strong, especially in conjunction with pathfinder

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

Vessel
Of
Vinktar

Single handed damage would be fine if you didn't have to spend 90 points on lifen odes. 3.0 might have already fixed that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's a good build for Explosive Arrow? Is there a decent guide out there somewhere?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Totes called that vp change

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you already tried golemancer or animate weapon?

No, care to share a good guide for them? I hadn't even considered that animate weapon could be good.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 18, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I wanted to see big life buffs and moderate ES nerfs, not laughable life buffs and apocalyptic ES nerfs

VP/GR had to die but the rest is brutal

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I wanted to see big life buffs and moderate ES nerfs, not laughable life buffs and apocalyptic ES nerfs

VP/GR had to die but the rest is brutal

Literally everything in this post is wrong lmao. Life got massively buffed. ES needed a very hard nerf but the VP nerf is too far.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheRat posted:

Literally everything in this post is wrong lmao. Life got massively buffed. ES needed a very hard nerf but the VP nerf is too far.
ndub is yelling at me on steam about misreading the life buffs, I GUESS THATS FINE

but vp is absolute garbage and had to die, sorry

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

but vp is absolute garbage and had to die, sorry

Your task for today is to explain how you would play one of the following es builds without vaal pact:

EK Nova
CoC discharge
HOWA
Signalfire

I can provided more examples should you need it. I will await your answer with great anticipation.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Very. Carefully.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I love all the "just buff life, don't nerf ES" posting in that thread from people who say D3 is bad because of power creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

God drat, send CI to live on a farm with Cloak of Defiance and Incinerate. Christ that is brutal.

dyzzy posted:

Zerker is love, zerker is life.

Lmao if you havent been 100% living the zerk like for at least two leagues now.

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you're worried about nearly all the balance changes revealed so far being nerfs, keep in mind that there's going to be a new progression system in fall of oriath with the god's blessing thingy they showed off in the reveal

People said this in the 2.0 beta. But most everything was nerfed, and there were very few end game builds. I expect another round of mega nerfs and slowly increasing the power level until 4.0 beta or whatever. We're all going to be poo poo, again, together!

• Locked thread