Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Every time I take out the filter and wash/replace it (every 3 months or so), the filter is covered in dust so I figure it must be working. It definitely does not remove all dust but I think it puts a significant dent in it. Also, you can run it at a higher fan speed to get more circulation but I just leave it on auto or the lowest speed (which is completely silent unless you stand right over it).

I had mild dust allergies that got better over time, but I attribute that to moving apartments rather than the air filter. I also have a media server within 3 feet of the filter and it definitely prevents dust from building up on the computer fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

lowcrabdiet posted:

I made a post years ago about this air filter:

I looked after a cat for a year and there would be so much cat fur stuck at the inlets so I know it worked pretty well for cat fur/dander, at least.

edit: This updated model looks like an evil robot if that's your aesthetic. And this one looks like it belongs in an evil villain's lair.

Hey thanks for these, my wife and I were actually talking the other day about ways to cut down on dust and pet hair for our new apartment. She has dust allergies that get really bad if her hormones go up so I'm hoping something like this will help her out.

Is there a smaller one I could stick in a small bedroom, to at least cut down on dust present when we're sleeping?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I got this Winix P150 on sale at Costco years ago, but it seems like Winix doesn't make a smaller model anymore. For that price, I'd rather just go for the full-size older model 5300 for ~$20 less.

There's also the GermGuardian ones that get good reviews on Amazon but the company/products weren't around when I originally did research years ago. I think the tower ones don't look as good and I prefer the lighter colors since they don't as much draw attention against the walls. Also, the smaller the unit is, the louder it will be. If you don't mind the white noise the small GermGuardian looks like a good buy.

Also, don't forget about plants:
NASA did a clean air study to see if plants could improve air quality. If nothing else, plants look nice around the home. Might want to check if there's after-Mother's Day sales soon.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
What are some decent kitchen knives? I'm looking to spend like ~$75 (but flexible) I know gently caress-all about knives.

I have a costco membership if the advice is just go to costco.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Fellis posted:

What are some decent kitchen knives? I'm looking to spend like ~$75 (but flexible) I know gently caress-all about knives.

In that price range, go for Victorinox with the fibrox handles. You should be able to get a paring knife, chef's knife, and serrated bread knife (which is all you'll really need) for about 75-80$ total.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fellis posted:

Get two $10 ceramic knives from amazon for cutting meat and veggies, an 8 or 10 inch and a 6 inch. They're going to be sharper than steel and require zero maintenance. Pick up a steel paring knife.

Just treat them with respect and don't use them to de-bone or the flat of it to crush garlic. If one ever chips, just shrug and buy another one because they were like $5 a piece

There's basically zero reason to go cheap steel over ceramic at that price point unless you have a fetish for sharpening.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 16:34 on May 15, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nope, fibrox all the way unless you want to spend more than a couple hundred on a single knife. 8" chef is probably the best $30 I've spent in my kitchen

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Costco? Take out the "os", replace them with a "u", get yourself some Cutco knives!

Then use them to murder someone else and take their much better knives.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking to hide two long Ethernet cables. They need to go from an office across a kitchen, down a hallway and into my living room. A total of 50 feet or so. I just don't want to lay them on the floor or use i-hooks.
Anything that helps them blend in helps.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking to hide two long Ethernet cables. They need to go from an office across a kitchen, down a hallway and into my living room. A total of 50 feet or so. I just don't want to lay them on the floor or use i-hooks.

Does it have to be ethernet?

When I needed to get internet from my PC in the office to my living room tv, I couldn't run any cable (unless I wanted it running across the hardwood)

My solution was to use a set of Gigabit powerline adaptors

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...rnet+over+power

It was pretty much plug and play, and I can stream anything I want and have never had any latency or buffering issues

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, I honestly didn't know that existed. I'll give it a whirl.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Seconding that suggestion, I have some TP link ones, some older model and it was pretty much set and forget, haven't touched them since I bought them like 3 years ago.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

Seconding that suggestion, I have some TP link ones, some older model and it was pretty much set and forget, haven't touched them since I bought them like 3 years ago.

Yep , I've been using mine for about 2 years and haven't had to do anything aside from the initial setup

They just work

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
So i want to buy some Darn Tough socks but they dont ship internationally. There are dozens of companies that can help you ship to a US Address and then ship Internationally but I have read some bad reviews, can anyone vouch for a good reliable company for doing this?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Camping.. Intense! posted:

So i want to buy some Darn Tough socks but they dont ship internationally. There are dozens of companies that can help you ship to a US Address and then ship Internationally but I have read some bad reviews, can anyone vouch for a good reliable company for doing this?

Can you buy them from a third party store? Almost all the big camping site sell their stuff I think?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Does it have to be ethernet?

When I needed to get internet from my PC in the office to my living room tv, I couldn't run any cable (unless I wanted it running across the hardwood)

My solution was to use a set of Gigabit powerline adaptors

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...rnet+over+power

It was pretty much plug and play, and I can stream anything I want and have never had any latency or buffering issues

holy moly, thank you, I had no idea these existed and this is exactly what I've been needing in my life.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Inzombiac posted:

What's this for, and are you not allowed/able to put holes in your walls or whatever?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have recommendations for light jackets that have built-in pockets for headphones? I'm looking for an internal pocket or two with the ability to run the cable up to the collar for easy headphone storage.

Kind of like this thing but without it cranked up to 11: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/is-scottevest-the-biggest-smartphone-case-ever-or-a-really-dorky-jacket/

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Brits: (or anyone else that knows a product that makes it outside of the 52 states + Canada).

Summer is coming, and I am going to spontaneously die of dehydration riding the tube in my tightly-weaved 100pct cotton Oxford shirts.

Does anybody know of smart office wear that's 'engineered' like stuff from the Ministry of Supply?

Really want something smart and functional (e.g. moisture wicking shirts and trousers with a bit of stretch and pockets that actually fit things).

Uniqlo do some nice 'dry' trousers, but yet to find shirts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

What's this for, and are you not allowed/able to put holes in your walls or whatever?

I'm renting. Even if I could put holes in the walls, the setup is such that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
If the PowerLine stuff doesn't work for you, the product you're looking for is a cable raceway.

I use them to hide speaker cables that run from the front of the room to surround speakers in the back of the room. You can paint them to match the walls, but in my case, they blended with the same shade of white as the baseboards. They hug the walls so you need to account for increased wire length. They attach with strong double-sided tape, but you can use less of it so that it doesn't rip the paint off the walls when you need to remove it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mmm that's some good poo poo there.
The TP Link from earlier is no longer available so I went with a slightly worse (?) model. My connection doesn't even approach 1,000 MBPS so I think I should be fine.

SUMMER IS HERE
Let's talk about cooling solutions.
Right now I have a standing AC unit that is really nice for 1-2 rooms. However, my problems are threefold:

1) The only windows in this apartment face east or west. I'm baking in the sun all goddamn day.
2) It's a loft apartment so half of the space is open-air and two stories tall.
3) I have guinea pigs in the living room that need to be kept at a reasonable temperature at all times.

Getting an AC unit for each room would run me about $1,200 before utility costs and we only have three months of +80 weather.
I've never foiled windows before. It looks tacky as hell but I'm not so proud to not do it.
Is there a more elegant solution to explore before I blind my neighbors?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Mmm that's some good poo poo there.
The TP Link from earlier is no longer available so I went with a slightly worse (?) model. My connection doesn't even approach 1,000 MBPS so I think I should be fine.

SUMMER IS HERE
Right now I have a standing AC unit that is really nice for 1-2 rooms. However, my problems are threefold:

1) The only windows in this apartment face east or west. I'm baking in the sun all goddamn day.
3) I have guinea pigs in the living room that need to be kept at a reasonable temperature at all times.

Getting an AC unit for each room would run me about $1,200 before utility costs and we only have three months of +80 weather.
I've never foiled windows before. It looks tacky as hell but I'm not so proud to not do it.

There's​ a home networking thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Inzombiac posted:

SUMMER IS HERE

Blackout curtains maybe? They make some that have a sort of insulating material that reduces heat without being reflective, I think.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
My kids want some of these Fidget Spinners that are all the rage. Anyone have a recommendation for some decent ones that are not $20 each but still good? Amazon would be great if possible and one said she wants a purple one but I am sure that won't matter so much if it isn't.

There are 50 million of them without reviews so I am not sure what is good.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought one at a gas station for six bucks that works fine.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Trastion posted:

My kids want some of these Fidget Spinners that are all the rage. Anyone have a recommendation for some decent ones that are not $20 each but still good? Amazon would be great if possible and one said she wants a purple one but I am sure that won't matter so much if it isn't.

I recommend disciplining your children harshly

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

spinners rule go away grandpa!

Trastion posted:

Just grab a few from Walgreens or the best reviewed cool looking ones on Amazon. They're janky but fine. The only real options are those around like $6 or the $40+ range. In between I've heard is a waste.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a decent but not amazing open-back headset so that I can hear my wife yelling for me across the house while playing games. That's the exact reason and amount of noise I need to be able to hear outside my headset.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Grado labs are pretty good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been told to buy a jump rope ahead of the weight training class I'm doing tonight, what is a good exercise jump rope I could buy at Dick's on my way home from work?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

various cheeses posted:

Seconded - my SR80e set is excellent.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Yeah, I love my Grados. They are very open, which it sounds like you want here. What's inside gets out; what's outside gets in.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I started with some SR125s when I was 16, and upgraded to SR325s, and then PS500s. Each time I upgraded I was impressed.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

C-Euro posted:

I've been told to buy a jump rope ahead of the weight training class I'm doing tonight, what is a good exercise jump rope I could buy at Dick's on my way home from work?

I doubt you are going to have much of a choice at Dick's other than maybe 1 or 2 but we have a thread for that stuff also https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413428

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I'm moving to a fancy new house soon that is going to have speakers in the ceiling in the kitchen/living room, the wires terminate in the basement. I need a receiver to run them but the market is full of things that do 4k passthrough and 7.2 sound and all sorts of things that don't apply to this scenario. I would want the ability to control it through an app though so I don't have to go downstairs to change songs or turn it off. TV is going in the basement too though so if multi-zone is a thing then maybe I could make use of a video passthrough after all, but I'm not looking to spend too much either way. Thoughts?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I need a Bluetooth keyboard that I can use to write with my iPad Air 2. I'd love to spend less than 50, but could go up a bit if needed.

Thing is I don't want a combo keyboard case or some cramped accessory. Just a good, thrifty, comfortable one I can write with for an hour without it feeling like a toy.

Basically an apple magic keyboard without the price of the apple name, if that exists.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Rolo posted:

I need a Bluetooth keyboard that I can use to write with my iPad Air 2. I'd love to spend less than 50, but could go up a bit if needed.

Thing is I don't want a combo keyboard case or some cramped accessory. Just a good, thrifty, comfortable one I can write with for an hour without it feeling like a toy.

Basically an apple magic keyboard without the price of the apple name, if that exists.

I have this Logitech K380 keyboard. There's a refurbished version for $10 less on Amazon. My SO and I take it on trips and it works fine for 1-2 hrs of typing.

Negatives: The keys are stupid circle shapes and I thought it would mess up my typing, but it's actually fine. It still looks like a toy, though. There's no way to prop up your phone/tablet on it so you need to have a separate stand. Or you need to be comfortable with the phone/tablet laying flat -- I actually find it more comfortable to have my phone laying flat between me and the keyboard. Not rechargeable battery.

Positives: Remembers pairing to 3 devices, which is exactly the number of devices we need it for. Also, there's a physical on/off switch so I don't even bother with a case. I just slide it in my backpack and all the buttons get smooshed but it works 100% when I take it out. It's also inexpensive compared to other options we looked at. The keys are solid -- it doesn't feel like a toy, it just looks like one. Battery life (AAA batteries IIRC) last for years.

I can't recommend any folding Bluetooth keyboards that are even more compact, though. They all have some annoying problem that make you wish you got something more solid. They're either unpleasant to type on, requires an absolutely flat surface, have pairing issues, or key travel annoyances.

edit:
Bonus: After you get everything paired and set up for the first time, you can secretly connect to your SO's phone (Fn+F1,F2, or F3) and annoy the crap out of them.

The Fn+Function keys are actually really useful and you can basically control your phone from the keyboard (Home button, switch Recent Apps, Copy/Paste, etc) and it makes your phone feel a lot more like a traditional computer.

This is the expensive version that includes a rechargeable battery and doesn't look like a toy. But it's not worth $50 more for me.

lowcrabdiet has a new favorite as of 01:07 on May 25, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seconding the k380, I use it as my main for my pc, ps4, and phone.

Don't use it for a ps3 - the ps3 doesn't like the energy saving disconnects and ends up crashing over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Through The Decade posted:

I'm moving to a fancy new house soon that is going to have speakers in the ceiling in the kitchen/living room, the wires terminate in the basement. I need a receiver to run them but the market is full of things that do 4k passthrough and 7.2 sound and all sorts of things that don't apply to this scenario. I would want the ability to control it through an app though so I don't have to go downstairs to change songs or turn it off. TV is going in the basement too though so if multi-zone is a thing then maybe I could make use of a video passthrough after all, but I'm not looking to spend too much either way. Thoughts?

Check out this thread in IYG. That'll get you more appropriate eyes on this one.