Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Execute everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
More Grog Graphs

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/865046206585552896

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ChrisReason7/status/865032878853193732

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Of all the scams you could run, how could anyone expect "let's not give the ATO what we owe them" to go undiscovered?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SMH posted:

Mr Cranston learnt of the investigation after his son, Adam Cranston, approached him and told his father that he believed his company was the subject of an ongoing inquiry.

Michael Cranston allegedly subsequently approached a Tax Office assistant commissioner and raised the prospect that his son's company was being targeted. Michael Cranston allegedly simultaneously sought to downplay his son's involvement in the alleged criminal scheme. Two high ranking Tax Office officials who spoke to Michael Cranston about the inquiry into his son have also been stood down, pending further investigation.

It is understood that Michael Cranston allegedly inquired as to whether a deal could be struck to resolve any probe. The Tax Office sometimes resolves matters by agreeing to receive a payment from those accused of tax fraud. Michael Cranston also allegedly sought to reach out to investigators involved in the multi-agency investigation but was unable to do so because the Australian Federal Police had warned them that such an approach might be likely.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

:suspense:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha ha, nepotism at its finest. We'll prosecute tax frauds, except when they're related to us.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

not a bubble

quote:

Homes on canals and in the ocean

Given the constant threat of flooding in Holland, Mr Olthuis saw building on as a safer alternative to regular housing.

"On the water, these houses can just go up and down with the floods," he said.

And it's not just suitable for calm Dutch canals, Mr Olthuis insisted. He is currently developing floating islands in the Maldives in open ocean.

"The sea level is rising and they're are afraid of not having enough space in the next 50 years," he said.

This does not seem like the best idea.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Of all the scams you could run, how could anyone expect "let's not give the ATO what we owe them" to go undiscovered?

Works just fine for LNP (and probably lots of ALP) donors, theyre just trying to be as innovative and agile as them!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Nope I'm pretty sure its the low income earners who are dole bludgers

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/rachelolding/status/865053699025936384

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This just keeps getting better and better.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Finding Cranston quotes is like fish in a barrel.

quote:

Deputy Commissioner Michael Cranston said the ATO works with other agencies and the community where appropriate to ensure that those who do the wrong thing are caught and prosecuted.

“These crimes aren’t honest mistakes on a tax return – they are calculated, deliberate attempts to commit fraud and avoid tax. The perpetrators are stealing from the Australian community and the Commonwealth and we will ensure they face the consequences of their actions,” Mr Cranston said.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So so far since lunch today we've got
  • Consortium goes under investigation for tax fraud
  • Guy involved with it but maybe not under investigation asking his dad who is a big ATO attack dog what is up
  • Said dad going 'welp, might was well pressure my colleagues who go after this poo poo for a living to drop it'
  • Somehow a journo who got wind of all of this going 'hey guys I know you're doing shifty poo poo so hook me up or I snitch

I'm glad it's like midnight in DC right now because Trump / Flynn treason + this would probably melt everything.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Coming soon, the most boring series of Underbelly yet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SadisTech posted:

This is prime poo poo for Rake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SadisTech posted:

Make the ATO attack dog guy and actual dog.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Make the ATO attack dog guy and actual dog.

Chris Kenny is already writing the script.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if the writing team for that excellent 1990s ABC series "Phoenix" could come up with "docodrama" for this. Or the Blue Murder writers.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Isn't it literally illegal to discriminate against breastfeeding women?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

It is in NSW, not sure about the other states

in other news, is Trump getting impeached or what?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bowmore posted:

Not yet, too many Republicans are still afraid of the consequences.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Chadzok posted:

Under the federal Sex Discrimination Act 1984 it is illegal in Australia to discriminate against a person either directly or indirectly on the grounds of breastfeeding.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Before Times posted:

Under the federal Sex Discrimination Act 1984 it is illegal in Australia to discriminate against a person either directly or indirectly on the grounds of breastfeeding.
boom

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
So with Malls closing down massively I'm assuming that there's going to be a lot of opportunities for start ups to compete online selling clothing.

Because honestly, Amazon isn't it. Their cloth buying interface is horrid.
I'm bit worried though about retail clothing stores overall. While Sears, Rue 21, Aeropostale, and these other brands didn't have the best web presences in the world, even companies with good web presences are suffering.

Take a look at this income analysis of GAP, Inc. Gap has amongst one of the best web presences out there. They are probably the king when it comes to marketing. Still year after year their revenue, net income, and profit margin has shrank. They currently have a 4.4% profit margin on items sold, making 600 million in profit compared to 1.2 billion in 2015, and if trends continue, those numbers could be cut in half again by the end of this year.

The other big stores that I would expect to do well, due to popularity, good marketing and web presence are American Eagle Outfitters and Forever 21.

Both are suffering similar issues. Which seems to indicate the entire sector is in crisis, and I can't see any of these companies surviving without significant store closings.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bowmore posted:

No, lol. Come on now. He is the president, who is going to stop him?

http://i.imgur.com/rMJRIV6.gifv

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Was that supposed to be in the AusPol thread?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/MurrayWatt/status/865068811875000321

What's the worst that could happen?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:magical:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bolt is another in the free rein to pie anytime as he is such a champion of freeze peach.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't decide which I like more out of Bolt's silence on Pell and his flailing to work out what he should be saying about the US clusterfuck.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Holy poo poo. Badass.

I've spent the last 100+ days glued to the Trump horrorshow thread because, wow, history in the making. But at last Australia puts up a contender for my interest.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

How to Lose an Election: Step 1

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo. Badass.

I've spent the last 100+ days glued to the Trump horrorshow thread because, wow, history in the making. But at last Australia puts up a contender for my interest.

I think you mean :piss:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Chinese cover of Dream by the Cranberries begins playing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

bowmore posted:

He's loving toast. They've got a special prosecutor and Comey's memos that show Trump asked him to drop the FBI investigation are being subpoenaed, with Paul Ryan saying he supports the subpoena and the investigation. :fork:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/864481431011164160

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bogan King posted:

That isn't even true though. We're at the slowest wage growth ever.

Extra digging how we kept AAA rating because of the budget despite the fact that it's based on complete bullshit assumptions.
Because the economy hasn't actually gone boom* yet.

thatbastardken posted:

get back to me when turnbull is found passing data from pine gap to kim jong un
Like any Australian knows what goes on in Pine Gap :australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Gap

* Boom as in the bubble bursting not some massive improvement or an association with a certain generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/865135721853497344

Truly viral.

The tax scandal probably hits half the Canberra political class, I expect they will all pull together and help us forget there ever was a lovely Budget. Certainly Laura Tingle's excuses on Late Night Live raised an eyebrow from me.

• Locked thread