Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Origin is so much better than Steam as a client it's almost embarrassing. I wish Steam ran as well or was so less cluttered or even so nice to look at as Origin is. It's just a shame Valve doesn't have to make Steam function that well because people are gonna use it (in a lot of cases have to) no matter what.

Origin worms its way into my computers startup processes in a way that steam never does, and it's constantly trying to run background poo poo or install updates when I don't even want it to be running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Origin worms its way into my computers startup processes in a way that steam never does, and it's constantly trying to run background poo poo or install updates when I don't even want it to be running.

That is a bummer but you can just tell it not to do that and it won't anymore. I get a popup telling me I need to download an update just about every time I launch the thing because it can't do it automatically anymore but whatever. :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

That is a bummer but you can just tell it not to do that and it won't anymore. I get a popup telling me I need to download an update just about every time I launch the thing because it can't do it automatically anymore but whatever. :shrug:

I mean, I used origin like, once 4 years ago, and after not seeing for 4 years, I caught it doing poo poo like 6 months ago. I think what happens is, when you update it, it resets its preferences to start automatically.

GOG is real gross and horribly buggy, both as an interface and as a service. I don't have any special attachment to steam, but it does work just fine and doesn't piss me off very much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GOG Galaxy destroyed my windows installation so you will hear no praise about it from me. I am glad they let you download their games copy-protection-free if you own them so that I never have to look at it again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

origin seems to display games as vertical tiles like xbox and that is un. tenable

i say this as someone who has over 1000 games on steam. gently caress browsing through tiles

why don't these alternative clients not have simple text-based lists to just fuckin double click and the game loads

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This question isn't about any recent release, but since there isn't a thread specific to it I'd thought I'd ask here! I want to play a space or far future game. However, I cannot decide on the genre, much less the game. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to avoid Stellaris right now because I am Paradoxed the gently caress out. I've loved Alpha Centauri, Freespace, Homeworld, Master of Orion 2, ~*Star Control 2*~, and own some of the X games (although I wouldn't know which one I would start with.)

Suggest whatever you think would be fun and why! Thanks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

GOG Galaxy destroyed my windows installation so you will hear no praise about it from me. I am glad they let you download their games copy-protection-free if you own them so that I never have to look at it again.

Last year, a friend and I were trying to play some old RTS that was on GoG, and we bought it, and couldn't get it to work, and when he tried to refund it, they told him he couldn't because he didn't have it. Right there in his library.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endless Space has good flavour and is a good fun standard 4X. There's an Endless Space 2 that's either about to come out or already is out but I don't know anything about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Node posted:

This question isn't about any recent release, but since there isn't a thread specific to it I'd thought I'd ask here! I want to play a space or far future game. However, I cannot decide on the genre, much less the game. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to avoid Stellaris right now because I am Paradoxed the gently caress out. I've loved Alpha Centauri, Freespace, Homeworld, Master of Orion 2, ~*Star Control 2*~, and own some of the X games (although I wouldn't know which one I would start with.)

Suggest whatever you think would be fun and why! Thanks.

Endless Space 2 has been in early access and is entering 1.0 on Friday. I have heard only good things about it. The first one was bad but Endless Legend, their fantasy 4X, was fantastic, and they have taken the lessons they've learned from that and put it back into Space.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

Origin is so much better than Steam as a client it's almost embarrassing. I wish Steam ran as well or was so less cluttered or even so nice to look at as Origin is. It's just a shame Valve doesn't have to make Steam function that well because people are gonna use it (in a lot of cases have to) no matter what.

Origin was dogshit the last time I tried to use it years ago, I've avoided it since then out of a combination of "gently caress ea" and the fact that they reduced one of my favorite childhood devs to nothing but their name for their drm service, which also comes back to "gently caress ea"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I mean, Origin. loving Origin

haha name an actual problem with origin besides "is not steam"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was down on Origin when it meant that EA games no longer got massive price cuts during Steam sales.

But now nothing gets massive price cuts during Steam sales so it's all a wash

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was down on Origin when it meant that EA games no longer got massive price cuts during Steam sales.

lots of games do, but theyre games you already own

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Endless Space 2 has been in early access and is entering 1.0 on Friday. I have heard only good things about it. The first one was bad but Endless Legend, their fantasy 4X, was fantastic, and they have taken the lessons they've learned from that and put it back into Space.

I assume 1.0 means its leaving early access and is becoming retail? If so, that's nice timing. Thanks. I'd still love more recommendations if anyone has some. I remember playing Distant Worlds a long time ago before the expansions and I liked how there was a private sector aspect of the game that you had no control over, it felt like you were really managing an empire.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

lots of games do, but theyre games you already own
also plenty of recent indie games go on sale for cheaper and cheaper with each sale

but the people who usually complain about the deals sucking probably only have some sort of snide opinion of indies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Origin would be good if EA makes worthwhile games to install it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also Origin has solid discounts of its own and Origin Access is surprisingly good value.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

also plenty of recent indie games go on sale for cheaper and cheaper with each sale

but the people who usually complain about the deals sucking probably only have some sort of snide opinion of indies

I am actually less likely to go hunting for deals on indie games since I feel better about supporting the devs at full price. Also they usually have much better deals through Humble and Itch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just discovered I own Lords of the Fallen on PS4, from PS+ I guess, and I've heard it's not really all that bad and it's free so I think I'm gonna try it out tonight

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't like Origin because I don't want to install more programs to play games I own. I don't like battle.net either for the same reason.

On the other hand EA hasn't made a single game I want to play since Origin came out so it doesn't really matter :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would say this

if Nintendo had a PC client with virtual console or whatever and some of their eshop games like Pushmo or Boxboy, you fuckin know I'd install that poo poo i don't care how good or bad the client would be

especially if it was crossbuy with Switch

I mean this would literally NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER happen so don't remind me that it would never happen because I fuckin know

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Google "emulator"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

im not gonna pirate my good good boy Pushmo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

haha name an actual problem with origin besides "is not steam"

- the tiled interface

- scanning your computer for any EA published games to add to your Origin library (even though you can still play them via Steam, at least last time I checked)

- no DLC support in games like Mass Effect - I had to go buy stuff directly from Bioware rather than handle it through the client

- despite picking remember me it always gets me to log in

- all the other reasons people have listed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I just discovered I own Lords of the Fallen on PS4, from PS+ I guess, and I've heard it's not really all that bad and it's free so I think I'm gonna try it out tonight

It is really all that bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty lovely. You can have fun playing jt , but it becomes progressively more of a slog. The final few boss fights are just really drawn out and boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

- scanning your computer for any EA published games to add to your Origin library (even though you can still play them via Steam, at least last time I checked)

Why is this a bad thing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

because then you're reminded that you paid money for EA's very bad games

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CJacobs posted:

Why is this a bad thing?

Because he needed another bulletpoint.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Why is this a bad thing?

hes just SO ANGRY about EA and their storefront that has good customer support where actual people talk to you immediately instead of never

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
part of me agrees that a hidden or mandatory system scan is shady poo poo, but that part of me is still salty that blizzard locked my account because its mac os scanner couldn't communicate with hackintosh firmware, and games wouldn't launch unless it obtained your system info first

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it doesnt communicate any of the info to EA or anything like that, it just checks for EA stuff and adds them to the launcher list for you so you can launch them in origin if you want. its maybe a pointless thing but it doesnt do any harm afaik

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

hes just SO ANGRY about EA and their storefront that has good customer support where actual people talk to you immediately instead of never

I once bought DLC for Mass Effect 3. I got double charged for it which I didn't notice until a week later. I called EA's customer service to make a complaint. They banned my account claiming I was trying to commit fraud and hung up on me. I called back and had to talk for about two hours going through several supervisors until they sorted it all out.

It did not leave a good taste in my mouth. Also I don't like Origin's UI. Steam UI sucks too, to be fair.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CKWhNB4Es

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeh soundtrack to fondly reminiscing about our favorite digital distribution services.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

Because he needed another bulletpoint.

:lol:

It might not be a problem for other people but it annoys me greatly to a) scan my PC without permission and b) list one thing in two different places when at the time I greatly preferred Steam.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i saw suikoden 2 on firesale on a band trip when i was 13 and i almost bought it but went with saga frontier 2 instead

three years later, i bought it from my friend after he gave it to our other friend as a birthday present for the same price. i played that poo poo on connectix vgs because we weren't allowed to have playstations (only computers)

this is my reminiscence of this song

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

because then you're reminded that you paid money for EA's very bad games

Hey now Titanfall 2 was good, and uhhh...

Titanfall 2 was good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
controversial: snes aladdin really is a way more fun and interesting game than genesis aladdin and i'm surprised people apparently like genesis more, the gameplay in that version is super bland

• Locked thread