Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Calling the mental health cuts a "Dementia Tax" was a stroke of genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Calling the mental health cuts a "Dementia Tax" was a stroke of genius.
That isn't what the Dementia Tax is.

Dementia Tax is the Tory idea that you should basically sell the houses of people with dementia to the care firms that are looking after them, while they're still alive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joncstone/statu...agenumber%3D135

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Isn't this the guy who blamed "The Left" for Donald Trump winning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rxp_QwjmQ

Now compare that to this.

If you're referring to the video I think that you are then he was raging against the liberal anti-racism strategy of basically only focusing on legislative equality and excluding everyone else from that process rather than a popular anti-racism movement which engages and challenges oppression locally as the former relies on retaining that political control while also alienating large numbers of people which in a democracy can end very badly. Unfortunately his language during the video was mostly rightwing, blaming the left as a broad group, and so was very confused.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
clearly the rich with dementia that want to keep their fortune for their families are meant to register their own care home and employ their own carers headquartered at their 100k house

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, now that sufficient british politics has elapsed to justify this thread being called the british election thread: it's nothing to do with an 'eternal law', it's that so long as mutations exist (ie so long as errors exist), any mutation that services self interest is going to out-compete any one that doesn't. That's even if you're starting from the premise of a perfectly programmed AI in the first place, and not one that encounters 'undefined behavior' at some point, due to a buffer overflow or whatever.

It doesn't have to share any of the same human drives or neurosis, all it needs is a single instance where it values its own self interest, and your perfect little society or whatever is hosed. It doesn't need to resemble human thought to do that, hell, viruses are self-interested and they're not really alive in the first place.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
rudatron do you also complain that computers don't do what you tell them when you mash the print button 19 times and it locks up

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

rudatron posted:

Okay, now that sufficient british politics has elapsed to justify this thread being called the british election thread: it's nothing to do with an 'eternal law', it's that so long as mutations exist (ie so long as errors exist), any mutation that services self interest is going to out-compete any one that doesn't. That's even if you're starting from the premise of a perfectly programmed AI in the first place, and not one that encounters 'undefined behavior' at some point, due to a buffer overflow or whatever.

It doesn't have to share any of the same human drives or neurosis, all it needs is a single instance where it values its own self interest, and your perfect little society or whatever is hosed. It doesn't need to resemble human thought to do that, hell, viruses are self-interested and they're not really alive in the first place.

i think you may find that any future ai is much more likely to just seize up and throw an exception rather than develop self interest or whatever

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the space communist AI should be a human hivemind so that its self-interest is humanity's self-interest

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

rudatron do you also complain that computers don't do what you tell them when you mash the print button 19 times and it locks up
...maybe...

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also i guarantee that everything positive-sounding in may's manifesto is going to be walked back on but the poo poo will stick

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yes I agree. None of the new theoretically good things are actually new promises by the Tories. One of their first budgets, maybe the first or second Autumn budget, had a line in about rebuilding any sold council housing that has just 100% not materialised in the least. They also managed to change the discourse about the minimum wage by slightly increasing it and calling it the National Living Wage (which is a wholly different thing). I don't see why they won't walk back on worker's rights, either.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this article is kind of on the same level of "never once touched a computer" as rudatrons last page of posting

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/hear-lets-elect-ai-president/

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i am very good with computah

i'd post in yospos, but all the other guys there aren't as good as computahs as me, that's how good i am

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i trust in jc denton

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
yospos man thinking harder than he's ever thought in his life "the president is like... a computer"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What if an AI malfunctioned and did something it was in no way coded or able to do, like when photocopiers print whole new books if you overfill them with toner :S

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rudatron posted:

also i guarantee that everything positive-sounding in may's manifesto is going to be walked back on but the poo poo will stick

Good news - there is nothing positive sounding in it!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

What if an AI malfunctioned and did something it was in no way coded or able to do, like when photocopiers print whole new books if you overfill them with toner :S
you just want to make sure you're never rejected when you start groping those robo slaves

yeah well guess what - even a cold unfeeling machines thinks ur a creepy loser

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

Optimistic =/= utopian. You build a better future based on how people are observed to behave. You don't expect a bunch of fairy dust to solve your problems for you, than fall back on an elitist superiority complex when it fails (clearly those dirty poors didn't try hard enough to not be racist, ergo its 100% their fault).

The flipside of starry eyed utopianism, is depressive fatalism, after its inevitable (& traumatic) contact with reality. Both are toxic, in their own way.

"race war is inevitable" doesn't seem very optimistic to me

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress? I explicitly mentioned integration as the alternative here. Are you blind?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
theresa may is actually just the meat slave of self interested AI MONIAC, and britain is about to get nerve stapled

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Rudatron are you ever going to admit what a sick bastard you are for docilely playing along with alien murder games?

Or at least admit that offering a clearly morally superior third option and then getting mad that people took it because you have no grasp as to why people make decisions was a mistake?

No wonder you are coming out against immigrants and having so much trouble with this conversation about reality lmao

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

race war or forced assimilation, fine

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
rational self-interest is fake news, as soon to be demonstrated by the extinction of the human race by our own hands

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Who was the famous science man who said we should fear AI? He's famous and stuff for physics, so he must know what he's talking about regarding something as insignificant as artificial intelligence or whatever. Glory to the Butlerian Jihad.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Who was the famous science man who said we should fear AI? He's famous and stuff for physics, so he must know what he's talking about regarding something as insignificant as artificial intelligence or whatever. Glory to the Butlerian Jihad.

This whole conversation defies the jihad! Mods?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the tory manifesto is impressive in how brazen it is. may is totally loving her core support in multiple ways shes so confident

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
just got a treat in the post lmao

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

This whole conversation defies the jihad! Mods?!

mentats? where are the womentats??????

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the funniest thing about this booklet is that it seems to avoid citing any right wing media on purpose

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

british man thinking harder then he's ever thought before in his life: Corbyn is like... trump.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Jose knows and he has warned us all.

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833742550661951490

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833745605470023680

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833743754330730497

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833749373393645568

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833749983257976833

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/833751146170691584

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pretty sure you're talking about automation and not robots, jose

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

he neglected the capitalist class which will own and profit from the robots

once again labour is blamed for the ravages of capital

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/statu...r%3D143%23pti21

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nanomashoes posted:

british man thinking harder then he's ever thought before in his life: Corbyn is like... trump.

Corbyns gonna build a million houses and make the rich pay for it

He's gonna make the NHS great again

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britain doesn't deserve corbyn imho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you live in austerity central m8 gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU