Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Best line of the night:

"Enemies are at the gates, inside the gates, fornicating with our cookware!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
was that meemo's first line all season?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Finally we got some race realism in Fargo

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I laughed to the point of bodily fluid expulsion from all orifices tonight. gently caress this show is hard on the body

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The sound.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Si's reaction and the sound design in that scene was making me expect to see a bashed open melon or something equally disgusting, not a few bruises to the kidney and judging by the previews, no real repercussions? I was expecting at least a Misery style hobbling considering how ruthless those two have been shown to be.

Also, they can say gently caress on FX?!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
They must have left Nikki alive for a reason, I just can't really picture what that reason is right now. Trying to keep her around as a factor to turn Si against Emmitt?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

ruddiger posted:

Si's reaction and the sound design in that scene was making me expect to see a bashed open melon or something equally disgusting, not a few bruises to the kidney and judging by the previews, no real repercussions? I was expecting at least a Misery style hobbling considering how ruthless those two have been shown to be.

Also, they can say gently caress on FX?!
Yeah, based on his reactions I thought they had pulped her. I kind of tuned out on Season 2 after a few episodes but Michael Stuhlbarg lured me back and I'm thrilled with how amazing the show is right now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
From my POV Sy only heard the beating and was of course too cowardly to check on her, so he fled. My expectation is they had beat the poo poo out of her face, but given what they were working with (whatever yuri was holding) I guess they just bruised her up super bad.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The point when Sy stands frozen after hearing Swango probably get her face face caved in, stands there, possibly consider this has all gone too far and it's time to give it up to the Police, and decides not to and just rolls out is the point where Sy was beyond sympathy. So, good arc between where the episode open and close :).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jeez, my expectations were that they were going to get photos of Sy and Nikki together to follow up Varga's insinuations that Sy was working with Ray. Also what was that wolf thing?

Lol at "unchained" Sy being to offer them $40,000 to go away forever.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 18, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Loved this shot

https://twitter.com/FargoFX/status/865037655431553024

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Why didn't Emmett just run over Vargas?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That hold on Sy's face as we heard the beating on Nikki was pretty loving incredible.

I was utterly convinced she was dead and I was devastated. In spite of the pretty terrible things they've done (which pales in comparison to Varga's crew) I'm really rooting for Ray and Nikki to actually succeed and be happy together, they're just endearingly sweet idiots. That loving sex tape :xd:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

nah not this time

this time the bumbling couple is gonna get killed or incur tragedy

ray will be swallowed alive and nikki will tell emmit to distract varga while gloria "the chief" burgle catches varga

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

gret posted:

Because that would put an even bigger target on his back, and there's enough people doing stupid poo poo and paying for it in this season. My guess is that Varga isn't the head of the snake, either.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
When you're a oval office of that magnitude, it's not prudent to put yourself in situations where people can easily drive over you on an impulse decision. Someone will snap sooner or later.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to find some grand unifying theory for Fargo and I haven't found it yet. I thought maybe the death counts matched up episode by episode each season and it's not a match, but it's close. Over 4 episodes they track pretty well (3 in S1E1, 4 in S2E1, 2 in S3E1). Subsequent episodes are usually 1 or 0 deaths. Episode 5 is an outlier with all the Kansas City people who die.

Maybe the seasons can be broken down into distinct acts like in a play. Everything is so very deliberate.

And Nikki is totally going to kill at least one of the goons. The fact she didn't die in the last episode means she'll be in this until the end. Sy...I don't think he makes it past next week. I do like how they are still continuing the miscommunication theme. No one can get anyone's story straight.

Aardark posted:

When you're a oval office of that magnitude, it's not prudent to put yourself in situations where people can easily drive over you on an impulse decision. Someone will snap sooner or later.

He doesn't fear Emmit. He did fear that IRS guy though. And as a former banker I do love the fact everything is coming to a head because someone withdrew $10k.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

He doesn't fear Emmit. He did fear that IRS guy though. And as a former banker I do love the fact everything is coming to a head because someone withdrew $10k.
Exactly. Emmit running over him would make Varga's character pointless, as well as the entire reason that scene exists in the first place. It's to establish dominance, just like every other scene with Varga in it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

It was 10001 dollars because he needed quarters,

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I thought the consequences were going to be super extreme in that last bit too. But she was able to drive herself home and get up four flights of stairs or whatever it was that we know from the first episode. I like Ray and Nikki as well, they're fun and charismatic.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The sound editing was great effective. It was nauseatingly evocative of someone getting the Oberyn treatment. I'm glad Ray got back in time to (probably) keep her from dying of internal bleeding.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what did he do in that cup?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kurtofan posted:

he made a drink for his good friend donald trump

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well he's British so I think that's what they call Spotted Dick.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Finessed his balls in, I think.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well he's British so I think that's what they call Spotted Dick.

He most certainly had one before even putting it in the cup, by the sheer appearance of him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gret posted:

A lot of variations on why he would and wouldn't definitely went through my head in the few seconds between he showed up and got in the car, including "he's thinking about it... but too late, now he's in the car." That's probably just my imagination running wild, though, and it's not actually in the scene.

This show, man. I feel like when people finally start dying, it's gonna be vicious.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I know everything Fargo has that element of "stop now before it gets worse", but I just can't shake the thought this whole season that Emmet and Si should have just gone full cops and lawyers after that first meeting with Varga. They had a contract etc. and didn't do anything wrong. anyway, good show.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The end shot with the wolf gives me hope that Varga is going to do something because so far I am just not feeling that character.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So Legion canonically takes place after 2010 now, right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Real Talk: Given the pitch about, "On paper, you'll be billionaires," I probably would've been all in.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Accretionist posted:

Real Talk: Given the pitch about, "On paper, you'll be billionaires," I probably would've been all in.

that paper? the false books for the irs

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like we could see Ray die and Emmit take his place to get away from Varga and Co., and he and Nikki end up together because Nikki ultimately cares about money way more than she cares about Ray. We've seen too much of Ray pretending to be Emmit for me to not expect one brother to die and the other to take over the identity.

Accretionist posted:

Given the level of intimidation employed and the upside of getting more money for being involved (even if they don't cut them in on profits from money laundering they're up $1 million from not paying back the loan) I'd probably just go with it and try not to rock the boat. Certainly after they've killed the lawyer I'd be fully cowed.

Going to the cops is real risky given the competency we've seen Varga employ, with bugs and hacking skills and whatnot, and it's not like you'll get put into witness protection just for testifying against them so you can count on you, and probably your family, being at severe risk.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

That loving sex tape :xd:

No, for Pete's sake, I'm wearing a hooker wig! :3:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apart from the fact that it was a stylistic shot, and having him kill Varga would be stupid for any great number of reasons, I think he didn't run over Varga because he's slowly starting to be won over by the lifestyle. Look at how he perked up when Varga offered him a solution to the IRS man.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

GobiasIndustries posted:

No, for Pete's sake, I'm wearing a hooker wig! :3:

The hooker wig is the part of the scenario where she draws the line. Leopard print skirt, fine, letters cut out of magazines pasted into a ransom note provides a certain down to earth romance, but the wig would make her feel trashy.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Aardark posted:

I agree. His need to assert his dominance even when he already clearly has it is probably going to be his downfall. He knew Emmit wouldn't run him over but he's going to underestimate someone's impulses or someone who no longer cares what happens to them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's that moment where they stop to kiss with deep love and passion in the middle of the sex tape, and it's really sweet and adorable until you remember that it's happening in the middle of them loving on tape in order to blackmail his brother.... then it kinda wraps back around to being sweet again :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michael Stuhlbarg has really become one of my favorite actors

• Locked thread