Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

Eagles fans: Why is nobody talking about Timmy Jernigan? I don't understand why he's being ignored. Everyone is happy to talk about Long but one of the best run stopping DTs in the league we have for a one year rental should merit some consideration. Our line is gonna be good.

Perhaps because while many hope it's an upgrade over Benny Logan we don't actually know if it is yet, and even if it is an upgrade (I think it is), Bennie Logan was really good so there isn't a ton of room for improvement there.

But when they do talk about Jernigan, it's not his run stopping ability they talk about because that was Logan's strength. I wouldn't expect any improvement there. We're hoping he will be a better pass rusher than Logan was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Gay Horney posted:

Blount is a ridiculous beast of a back and I'm pretty sure he's coming off of a super bowl and the best season in his career. If you're an eagles fan and anything less than thrilled with this you're an idiot.

Honestly it's a great signing for what he is but there's a reason he's being signed this late in the offseason

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Yeah, not to get all flowcharty, but he's good at a few specific things. I wouldn't call him a "ridiculous beast". His success with New England had more to do with the passing attack he was paired with than innate ability.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 18, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is it too soon to crown the eagles offseason champs? I seem to recall this happening every offseason so I just wanna get it out of the way so we can all enjoy their inevitable collapse after a briefly promising start.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Yeah, not to get all flowcharty, but he's good at a few specific things. I wouldn't call him a "ridiculous beast". His success with New England had more to do with the passing attack he was paired with than innate ability.

How dare you suggest that having Tom Brady under center makes a running back's job easier

LaGarroute Blount, 2017 NFL MVP

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

How dare you suggest that having Tom Brady under center makes a running back's job easier

LaGarroute Blount, 2017 NFL MVP

Well cowboys fans IRL seem to be offended when it is suggested that Dak and Zeke are largely products of an insane offensive line so should you cast stones?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well the good thing for Blount is he is going from the #1 qb to #2

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is it too soon to crown the eagles offseason champs? I seem to recall this happening every offseason so I just wanna get it out of the way so we can all enjoy their inevitable collapse after a briefly promising start.

The Patriots won the offseason too.

Or maybe the Niners, solely for playing the Bears as hard as they did during the draft.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diqnol posted:

Eagles fans: Why is nobody talking about Timmy Jernigan? I don't understand why he's being ignored. Everyone is happy to talk about Long but one of the best run stopping DTs in the league we have for a one year rental should merit some consideration. Our line is gonna be good.

I routinely forget Eagles acquired Jernigan also. It was a real dead zone time for him

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

His nickname is already "Philly Blount", unofficially.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

He didn't played for Tennessee last year though

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Metapod posted:

He didn't played for Tennessee last year though

Mariota? Pfft. More like Marcus SCUM Mariota!

89 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 19, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

89 posted:

Mariota? Pfft. More like Marcus SCUM Mariota!

🛬

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's different now because the Eagles have a QB.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm wondering what the opinion on Wentz looks like if he has a mediocre or bad start. Defense looks good, offense looks serviciable to good depending on how the FAs play, so how much time is Carson given of he starts off rough?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

I'm wondering what the opinion on Wentz looks like if he has a mediocre or bad start. Defense looks good, offense looks serviciable to good depending on how the FAs play, so how much time is Carson given of he starts off rough?

Two more years at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

It's different now because the Eagles have a QB.

I remember eagles offseason champ poo poo going on back when they had McNabb, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The year they traded for Terrell and Jevon kearse was an actual off season champ legit win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

The year they traded for Terrell and Jevon kearse was an actual off season champ legit win.

As evidenced by their lombardi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The patriots cheated what can you do :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

The patriots cheated what can you do :shrug:

I don't know what you're gonna do, but the cowboys have gone 8-8 for 20 years.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

I remember eagles offseason champ poo poo going on back when they had McNabb, though.

I took that into consideration when I made my statement.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

If Wentz starts off poorly there will be no shortage of theories attempting to explain why. Sophomore slump, lagging injury, issue with mechanics, chemistry with new receivers, play calling, poor protection, etc etc...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

I took that into consideration when I made my statement.

Eagles fans' hate for McNabb always seemed so bizarre to me. The dude had a tendency to throw balls into the dirt often enough, but for the most part was a great QB and took them to multiple championships. I still remember him running over 50 yards laterally in the backfield clowning cowboys defenders before lobbing a bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-bPBAYdGEo

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah that was back when he was still good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vast majority of fans loved mcnabb. There was a small set of racist loudmouths that didn't.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

Vast majority of fans loved mcnabb. There was a small set of racist loudmouths that didn't.

This is exactly it. But then the chants for (insert white backup QB) would become deafening as many of the majority would be reminded of their vices

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't remember any chants for white qbs when mcnabb was playing.

Did that happen?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

I don't remember any chants for white qbs when mcnabb was playing.

Did that happen?

Pretty sure Kolb was with McNabb. Also I seem to remember a lot of Feeley hype.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
McNabb didn't have the look.

edit: also he got fat.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Why even discuss the Eagles when it is so blatantly clear the Cowboys are winning it all this year

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tom Sellout posted:

Why even discuss the Eagles when it is so blatantly clear the Cowboys are winning it all this year

Ok, hypothetical scenario: Elliott tears something in his knee in game 1 and is done for the year. What are your expectations for Dak Prescott?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You're being more revisionist than cowboys fans are about Romo. McNabb got poo poo on hard by philly fans.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

Ok, hypothetical scenario: Elliott tears something in his knee in game 1 and is done for the year. What are your expectations for Dak Prescott?

Oh lord, it wouldn't be good. Elliott is crucial to the team. The running game can be effective with the backup, Darren McFadden, but it certainly would not be dominant. Elliott was the MVP for the team last year because he could turn two yard gains into four or five yard gains consistently. He can run any amount of inside zone, outside zone, gap schemes, pass protection, receiving, etc. Prescott could play conservatively all year long because he was consistently in favorable down and distance situations. If Elliott's knee explodes week 1, I would expect Prescott's interceptions to rise and completion percentage to fall. However, I also think he would put up more yards and TDs because he would be pressing for bigger plays. I think Prescott would still be a good QB, but if fans expect him to will the team back from deficits and in close games (like Romo did all career long), they will be disappointed. Elliott going down puts way more pressure on Prescott to do the heavy lifting, so he will make more mistakes and probably turn in a worse overall year.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tom Sellout posted:

The running game can be effective with the backup, Darren McFadden

Can it? He average 3.6 yards/carry last season which was his second highest yards/carry since 2011.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're being more revisionist than cowboys fans are about Romo. McNabb got poo poo on hard by philly fans.

When a good player declines, the fans notice it first while casual observers are still basing their opinions on highlights they saw 3 years previously.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

Can it? He average 3.6 yards/carry last season which was his second highest yards/carry since 2011.

poo poo, that's more of a comment on how good the offensive line is than anything else. It's wishful thinking to think McFadden and Alfred Morris will be consistently effective, but they won't poo poo themselves and run into their own blockers, either. I watched McFadden run for over a thousand yards during the Brandon Weeden/Matt Cassel fiasco, and it wasn't because McFadden was making dudes miss in space. He wasn't powering his way through stacked boxes, either.

Tom Sellout fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Tom Sellout posted:

poo poo, that's more of a comment on how good the offensive line is than anything else. It's wishful thinking to think McFadden and Alfred Morris will be consistently effective, but they won't poo poo themselves and run into their own blockers, either. I watched McFadden run for over a thousand yards during the Brandon Weeden/Matt Cassel fiasco, and it wasn't because McFadden was making dudes miss in space. He wasn't powering his way through stacked boxes, either.

It wouldn't be great, but Dallas could recover. Losing Dak would be a much, much bigger deal. The team doesn't need a dominant run game nearly as much as it needs the ability to pass downfield. The offensive line helps Zeke and the run game more than it helps Prescott.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You're delusional if you think Dak could carry this team without a run game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Amy Pole Her posted:

You're delusional if you think Dak could carry this team without a run game

Your delusional if you are already making up your mind at what he is capable of after a single rookie season.

• Locked thread